Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard

You know you are catching a lot of heat when you receive a bipartisan rebuke from the U.S. Congress. This is exactly what has happened to Activision Blizzard, as The Washington Post reports on a letter sent to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick criticizing the company's recent punishment of Ng 'blitzchung' Wai Chung for speaking out about Hong Kong after a Hearthstone tournament. This is written by Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Ron Wyden (D-OR) and co-signed by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Mike Gallagher (R-WI), and Tom Malinowski (D-NJ), in a rare act of crossing the aisle. There's an image of the letter on Reddit and the text is reproduced on WCCFTECH. Reading through it gives the impression they are unaware that Blizzard has already reduced blitzchung's punishment for the incident. Here's the letter:
We write to express our deep concern about Activision Blizzard's decision to make player Ng Wai Chung forfeit prize money and ban him from participating in tournaments for a year after he voiced support for pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. This decision is particularly concerning in light of the Chinese government's growing appetite for pressuring American businesses to help stifle free speech.

Activision Blizzard benefits from China's growing market for esports, along with an investment from Tencent, one of China's largest technology firms. As you and your company are no doubt aware, the Chinese government uses the size and strength of its economy to suppress opinions with which it disagrees. Last week alone, the Chinese government targeted Apple for hosting an app to help peaceful demonstrators evade repression and the National Basketball Association because one team's general manager tweeted in support of Hong Kong protests.

Your company claims to stand by "one's right to express individual thoughts and opinions," yet many of your own employees believe that Activision Blizzard's decision to punish Mr. Chung runs counter to those values. Because your company is such of pillar of the gaming industry, your disappointing decision could have a chilling effect on gamers who seek to use their platform to promote human rights and basic freedoms. Indeed, many gamers around the world have taken notice your company's actions, understandably calling for boycotts of Activision Blizzard gaming sites.

As China amplifies its campaign of intimidation, you and your company must decide whether to look beyond the bottom line and promote American values -- like freedom of speech and thought -- or to give in to Beijing's demands in order to preserve market access. We urge you in the strongest possible terms to reconsider your decision with respect to Mr. Chung. You have the opportunity to reverse course. We urge you to take it.
View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 20, 2019, 18:30 jdreyer

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 17:13:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 10:03:
WaltC wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 21:47:
When I saw that the WaPo had something to do with it I immediately understood why the Wapo failed to disclose that the letter was obviously written before Blizzard had at least half-way restored the man's credentials. However, considering it was the WaPo, it may have been the WaPo that didn't know...;) That sounds about right to me. Some of the so-called "news orgs" have so tarnished their own credentials in their repeated publication of "news" *choke* that is often absurd on its face--repeatedly--that they are like the little boy who cried "Wolf!" it's very difficult to listen to them on any subject at all with confidence that the facts are being related. Why these news orgs suddenly believe that publishing attributed, independently verifiable fact is somehow a burden to them leads me to suggest that they are in the wrong business entirely...;)

WaPo is shit. I get all my news from Alex Jones and Breitbart.
Really? I would have guessed Rachel Maddow, TYT and CNN.
Fake news.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 23:37 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 22:51:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 04:53:
NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 03:11:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 02:17:
Video Games. The Sixth Estate. Nobody pays attention to it until it becomes beneficial for career reasons to do so.

Also, J. Allen Brack is a toolbox. Unlike Mike Morhaime, he has no real power in Blizzard. JAB famously told a fan asking for vanilla, "you think you do, but you don't," and then Classic came out and boosted sub numbers by 200-300%. #NoVision

I thought they no longer gave their sub numbers, just revenue? I don't follow Blizz that closely these days.

Besides which, subs going up when it launches is only the "you think you do" part... Need to give it a few months to see how right or wrong the second half of that statement is.

That's not what "you think you do" means. Stop changing the meaning to suit your viewpoint.

wat

30. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 22:51 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 04:53:
Video Games. The Sixth Estate. Nobody pays attention to it until it becomes beneficial for career reasons to do so.

Also, J. Allen Brack is a toolbox. Unlike Mike Morhaime, he has no real power in Blizzard. JAB famously told a fan asking for vanilla, "you think you do, but you don't," and then Classic came out and boosted sub numbers by 200-300%. #NoVision

I thought they no longer gave their sub numbers, just revenue? I don't follow Blizz that closely these days.

Besides which, subs going up when it launches is only the "you think you do" part... Need to give it a few months to see how right or wrong the second half of that statement is.

That's not what "you think you do" means. Stop changing the meaning to suit your viewpoint.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

29. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 18:22 Luke

He should have been banned forever , play games or talk politic you can't do both.....i...t  

28. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 17:13 Muscular Beaver

When I saw that the WaPo had something to do with it I immediately understood why the Wapo failed to disclose that the letter was obviously written before Blizzard had at least half-way restored the man's credentials. However, considering it was the WaPo, it may have been the WaPo that didn't know...;) That sounds about right to me. Some of the so-called "news orgs" have so tarnished their own credentials in their repeated publication of "news" *choke* that is often absurd on its face--repeatedly--that they are like the little boy who cried "Wolf!" it's very difficult to listen to them on any subject at all with confidence that the facts are being related. Why these news orgs suddenly believe that publishing attributed, independently verifiable fact is somehow a burden to them leads me to suggest that they are in the wrong business entirely...;)

Really? I would have guessed Rachel Maddow, TYT and CNN.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

27. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 12:42 Saboth

Republicans: "How dare you censor someone for supporting democracy? Now, if you'll excuse us, we need to get back to leaving our elections open to foreign tampering, attacking our own intelligence agencies, and trampling on the Constitution in our absolutely insane quest to protect an unqualified con man, who seems to be compromised by about a half dozen nations, from warranted impeachment proceedings, because we don't want him impeached before we can fill the judiciary with unqualified partisan judges who are barely old enough to vote."  

26. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 11:12 NKD

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 10:55:

Sprinkle in some Fox news, A.M Radio and Drudge Report an you are good to go! You will be able to swim in Walt C's universe of truthiness

And his shallow end of the gene pool?

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

25. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 10:55 {PH}88fingers

Sprinkle in some Fox news, A.M Radio and Drudge Report an you are good to go! You will be able to swim in Walt C's universe of truthiness

24. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 10:03 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 06:44 RedEye9

U.S. lawmakers urge Apple to restore HKMap app used in Hong Kong
I'm amazed, they did do something that could make a difference besides shaking their finger at ActiBlizz.
Wonders will never cease.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

22. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 05:33 El Pit

ActiBlizz responded by banning Rubio and Wyden from all of their games for a year while saying that ActiBlizz absolutely supports free speech unless it hurts its business - because money is more important than freedom ALWAYS. The freedom to make money, or course, Trumps the freedom of speech.  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

21. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 04:57 Muscular Beaver

This topic is so fucked up. Here in Germany all the communists suddenly come up from under their rock and attack Hong Kong and the west in general, defend China and their shit...
Even I am shocked.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

20. Re: Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 04:53 jacobvandy

19. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 03:31 [VG]Reagle

Please President Hillary stop the madness!!!  

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

18. Re: Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 03:11 NKD

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

17. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 19, 2019, 02:17 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 18, 2019, 23:18 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 21:36:
And how the fuck do you do that when someone just decides to blurt something out? Fired...for not being psychic.

Watch the video of it, they knew it was coming. He didn't just blurt it out.

15. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 18, 2019, 22:56 heroin

AOC for prez!  

14. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 18, 2019, 22:25 Sepharo

What the hell are you talking about?
You might need to get some oxygen or eat some sugar or something man.
Be safe.

13. Re: U.S. Congress Rebukes Blizzard Oct 18, 2019, 22:20 Mr. Tact

Focus Congressmen and Senators, focus. If you need to call out bad behavior by someone there are more appropriate targets for your angst...  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >