Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I see a local news story reporting that power outages in the area persist in the aftermath of a nor'easter that recently rocked the area. It seems the brief brownouts I recently mentioned experiencing were preventive measures intended to protect us from such problems. But this all serves as a reminder that the new home of the BlueTower is a bit further off the beaten path than before, so I want to acknowledge the possibility that we may be more vulnerable to weather-related threats to our power lines than in the past (I hope I'm wrong about this). Sadly, I believe living in a condo prevents us from being able to get a generator, but if the lights do go out, I will do my best to find a way to make updates anyway. At the very least I should be able to let you know what's going on if it comes to it. In the meantime, I will use the time-honored way of staving off such issues with the scientifically proven technique of crossing my fingers.

Powerful Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Residence Gudu.
Doodle Alive.
Links: This Monty Python Black Knight Statue Talks and Features Flesh Wound Action. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Ex-CIA Officer Reveals How Eateries Are Key To Spycraft. Thanks RedEye9.
Stories: Obesity Rates For Children Are Rising Fast Across The Globe. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Earth-like exoplanets may be common in the universe, study suggests.
Steroid injections may lead to more long-term harm than previously thought, new study says.
This Is the Free Jumpsuit You’ll Get With a $250,000 Ticket to Space. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Media: Next generation vertical lift Bell V 280 Valor.
Don't break into-crash into-key a Tesla. So you should do those things to cars without cameras?
Utah Highway Patrol trooper swoops in to save unconscious man from being hit by a train. Damn!
Follow-up: Is The F-35 Worth $115 Million?
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2019, 10:26 eRe4s3r

bigspender wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 04:49:
Orogogus wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 01:48:
bigspender wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 00:56:
That's super cool, but even if we find a way to travel to them, stepping one will likely mean instant death from some microbe that our immune system can't handle. To live on another planet would be like living as a bubble boy here on earth.

That's probably not how it would work. The immune system provides a broad defense against foreign material in the body, and except where open wounds are involved, most things that defeat the immune system have spent thousands of years evolving ways to do so. It's at least as likely that extraterrestrial microbes wouldn't have entry and reproductive pathways ready-made to infect terrestrial life. For an alien virus to hijack our DNA replication mechanisms just like earth viruses do would be like hacking the alien mothership with a MacBook in Independence Day, but more so and in reverse.

Perhaps alien microbes are so different, that they wouldn't even be compatible, just as Independence day should have been , so that would be nice!

However it's also possible life on earth was seeded by the same microbes which are also on another planet, so we might all share the same root systems. Or perhaps life can only evolve in in the one way it has, using DNA.

Even if the alien microbes are completely different, they can still be dangerous to us - such as how microplastics (e.g. BPA) acts like hormones in our bodies, messing us up slowly.

Or it might be the other way around, some astronaunt will sneeze and wipe out 1/2 of the alien ecosystem!

But I'd be pretty happy if they found life even microbial life, even if it was fossils of microbial life. That would just be amazing.

Nah, that'd not happen. If those organisms were the same as what seeded life here billions of years ago then they would have diverged evolutionary pretty far by now. And if they lack mammal hosts then they could never evolve nor adapt to us. As you say it's more likely just gonna be ancient life sludge and even that would be ground-breaking discovery, because it ain't even clear if what happened to us is a galactic accident or common. And if it is common then we are a few bn years too late to the party...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2019, 09:54 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 18:33:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 17:49:
It's not lies, that's the advantage of 5th gen aircraft.
You could be correct. But I find it impossible to blindly believe what the military tells us about the testing results of military equipment. First, they have lied far too often. Second, they want this so badly they have large incentive to lie if needed. As someone who was in the USAF and worked on DOD directed multi-million dollar projects, the general public would be surprised how often the military/government lies to them.

It's good to be skeptical. That said, this project is the most expensive weapons system in human history. It has been one of the most scrutinized, by both the media and congress. It's features and abilities have been discussed in the media by dozens of pilots who have flown it and discussed it in length. Are they telling the truth about everything about the plane? Probably not, but the big picture seems pretty clear at this point.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2019, 04:49 bigspender

Orogogus wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 01:48:
That's super cool, but even if we find a way to travel to them, stepping one will likely mean instant death from some microbe that our immune system can't handle. To live on another planet would be like living as a bubble boy here on earth.

That's probably not how it would work. The immune system provides a broad defense against foreign material in the body, and except where open wounds are involved, most things that defeat the immune system have spent thousands of years evolving ways to do so. It's at least as likely that extraterrestrial microbes wouldn't have entry and reproductive pathways ready-made to infect terrestrial life. For an alien virus to hijack our DNA replication mechanisms just like earth viruses do would be like hacking the alien mothership with a MacBook in Independence Day, but more so and in reverse.

Perhaps alien microbes are so different, that they wouldn't even be compatible, just as Independence day should have been , so that would be nice!

However it's also possible life on earth was seeded by the same microbes which are also on another planet, so we might all share the same root systems. Or perhaps life can only evolve in in the one way it has, using DNA.

Even if the alien microbes are completely different, they can still be dangerous to us - such as how microplastics (e.g. BPA) acts like hormones in our bodies, messing us up slowly.

Or it might be the other way around, some astronaunt will sneeze and wipe out 1/2 of the alien ecosystem!

But I'd be pretty happy if they found life even microbial life, even if it was fossils of microbial life. That would just be amazing.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2019, 04:16 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2019, 02:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 16:27:
Dear Fox News,
Please recommend that Air Force One should be a 737 Max. Allthumbsup
kthnx

You might want be careful posting such things. The SS tends to be jittery about such things. And yes, they look online for key words like "Air Force One".

Meh, the SS only concerns itself with direct threats, not "DiaF" type comments.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2019, 02:22 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 16:27:
Dear Fox News,
kthnx

You might want be careful posting such things. The SS tends to be jittery about such things. And yes, they look online for key words like "Air Force One".

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2019, 01:48 Orogogus

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 19, 2019, 00:56 bigspender

Obesity Rates For Children Are Rising Fast Across The Globe.
Just go vegan / eat plant-based (at least 99% of the time). Just look at Kevin Smith, the guy is 1/2 the size he used to be. And twice as alive.

Earth-like exoplanets may be common in the universe, study suggests.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 21:23 Mr. Tact

I'll admit I could be wrong, predicting the actions of the general public isn't an exact science for anyone. But it is hard to go wrong by under estimating the general public's ability to act logically -- they rarely do. But yeah, I think renaming the MAX and perhaps an ad campaign about how it is now the safest plane in the sky... will be enough to lull most of the public into not caring any longer. And if that doesn't work, time will. The latest Fortnite update, or Lady Gaga song, or whatever will get their attention soon enough. And it won't be long before if you mention the MAX to someone they will say, "Oh yeah, I forgot all about that."  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 20:21 1badmf

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 14:35:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 14:27:
And the aircraft racks up 19 to 1 kill ratios in Red Flag exercises.
Please excuse me if I don't take those numbers seriously. They might be an accurate reflection, they might be total lies. Only time and actual combat will truly reveal the F-35's capabilities. If it does do well, it will have been an amazing accomplishment to get through a 27 year design phase and succeed.

not for nothing, but the f-35 has seen combat. the israelis have used theirs to bomb... someone, i forget who.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 19:20 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 18:41:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 17:55:
The trust is shattered. This plane is toast. No one will want to ride in it.
If it is ever allowed back into service, which it probably will be, I doubt there will be any issues with flyers refusing to fly on it. Most (I'd guess 90+%) of the traveling public have no idea what model of aircraft they are flying on. After the MAX is no longer in the headlines, the general public will totally forget about it.

That said, I personally feel it should not be allowed to return to service. Or more accurately, before I would think it should be allowed, someone needs to convince me it isn't a fundamentally flawed aircraft. I don't think anyone can do that, but I might be wrong and I'm willing to listen to the arguments...
90% huh, 2 high profile crashes, front page news for monthes, missed and rescheduled flights, more front page news ..
Yeah, i kinda think your 90% w.a.g. might be off by a factor of 75 or 30.

346 people including a few pilots would claim the plane is fundamentally flawed, if they were still alive.

Boeing will have to change the name.
Boeing Says It’s Open to Changing the Name of Grounded 737 Max Jet

They've already used 737 NG, i think it means no good.
I'm guessing next up would be NC for No Crash or NCY, no crash yet.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 19:00 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 18:41:
If it is ever allowed back into service, which it probably will be, I doubt there will be any issues with flyers refusing to fly on it. Most (I'd guess 90+%) of the traveling public have no idea what model of aircraft they are flying on. After the MAX is no longer in the headlines, the general public will totally forget about it.

That said, I personally feel it should not be allowed to return to service. Or more accurately, before I would think it should be allowed, someone needs to convince me it isn't a fundamentally flawed aircraft. I don't think anyone can do that, but I might be wrong and I'm willing to listen to the arguments...

My comment was more accurate to the point. "Even if they put 737 MAXs back into operation, how many people want to fly in those things? Trust is eroded at best and wholly gone at worse." I'm not making an absolute claim of "trust is shattered." I am merely pointing out the levels of mistrust. Even people who "don't care" will still have concerns, hence the mistrust. To this day, although AMTRAK hasn't been in the news recently with derailment accidents, I still mistrust their trains.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 18:41 Mr. Tact

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 18:33 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 17:49:
It's not lies, that's the advantage of 5th gen aircraft.
You could be correct. But I find it impossible to blindly believe what the military tells us about the testing results of military equipment. First, they have lied far too often. Second, they want this so badly they have large incentive to lie if needed. As someone who was in the USAF and worked on DOD directed multi-million dollar projects, the general public would be surprised how often the military/government lies to them.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 17:55 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 16:07:
Text messages show Boeing employees knew in 2016 of problems that turned deadly on the 737 Max

- "One text message with a misspelling said the feature was engaging 'itself like craxy.' Another termed the problem 'egregious.'"

- Another indicated that the Boeing employees misled the Federal Aviation Administration. "So I basically lied to the regulators (unknowingly)," read one message.

FAA administrator Steve Dickson said in a letter to Boeing Friday: "I expect your explanation immediately."

Boeing said in a statement that it had provided Congress a document "containing statements by a former Boeing employee." The company said it "will continue to cooperate" with an investigation by the House Transportation Committee and "we will continue to follow the direction of the FAA and other global regulators, as we work to safely return the 737 MAX to service."

That last statement "work to safely return" tells me Boeing believes this is just business-as-usual. I'm pretty confident airliners are looking elsewhere for planes. Even if they put 737 MAXs back into operation, how many people want to fly in those things? Trust is eroded at best and wholly gone at worse.
They tried to get by on the cheap, and it bit them in the was. The government is to blame as well. The trust is shattered. This plane is toast. No one will want to ride in it.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 17:49 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 14:35:
Please excuse me if I don't take those numbers seriously. They might be an accurate reflection, they might be total lies. Only time and actual combat will truly reveal the F-35's capabilities. If it does do well, it will have been an amazing accomplishment to get through a 27 year design phase and succeed.

It's not lies, that's the advantage of 5th gen aircraft. Stealth gives them first shot. Sensor fusion allows a group of aircraft to combine their data into a view only previously achievable with a dedicated AWACS aircraft. Augmented reality in the HMD lets pilots "see" through the body of the plane. AESA radars combine air and ground targets into a single view for superior situational awareness. When you spend $40B and 25 years in development, you expect these kinds of leaps. It's no different than the kill ratios the allies achieved during the Gulf War using 4th gen aircraft against Iraq's third gen air force. Because they were trying to do so many revolutionary things at once is why it took so long and cost so much. But it appears they have succeeded. Israel has been using their F-35s routinely to strike targets in Syria and Iraq. Whereas in the past, their F-16s and F-15s would be tracked and fired upon, their F-35 strikes allow them to deny that they we even involved in the strikes.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 17:25 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 14:35:
Is The F-35 Worth $115 Million?

Even with all of the massive delays and cost overruns, the plane is turning out to be well worth the cost invested. There's literally no other plane on the planet that can do what it can in terms of combining stealth and sensor fusion. And the aircraft racks up 19 to 1 kill ratios in Red Flag exercises. The plane cements the West's air superiority for the next couple of decades at least.

Given how cheap drones and missiles are everything else is a waste of money by comparison - militarily speaking. It was like that article the other day with the Army's new super artillery. How on earth is that remotely practical or worth it in the era of smart bombs? Just the American MIC fleecing the American taxpayer as usual.
Drones are cheap, but currently only usable in permissible environments where we have already established air superiority. And no armed drone has a 1000 mile range. Also artillery shells are orders of magnitude cheaper than cruise missiles. Even a if smart shell costs the same as a smart bomb, long range artillery allows those strikes without risking the aircraft, and without incurring aircraft acquisition and maintenance costs. And it only costs a few dollars of electricity to fire. Research into this system is actually a prudent use of funds, IMO.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 16:27 RedEye9

Dear Fox News,
kthnx

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 16:07 Kxmode

Text messages show Boeing employees knew in 2016 of problems that turned deadly on the 737 Max

- "One text message with a misspelling said the feature was engaging 'itself like craxy.' Another termed the problem 'egregious.'"

- Another indicated that the Boeing employees misled the Federal Aviation Administration. "So I basically lied to the regulators (unknowingly)," read one message.

FAA administrator Steve Dickson said in a letter to Boeing Friday: "I expect your explanation immediately."

Boeing said in a statement that it had provided Congress a document "containing statements by a former Boeing employee." The company said it "will continue to cooperate" with an investigation by the House Transportation Committee and "we will continue to follow the direction of the FAA and other global regulators, as we work to safely return the 737 MAX to service."

That last statement "work to safely return" tells me Boeing believes this is just business-as-usual. I'm pretty confident airliners are looking elsewhere for planes. Even if they put 737 MAXs back into operation, how many people want to fly in those things? Trust is eroded at best and wholly gone at worse.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 14:35 Mr. Tact

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2019, 14:35 Cutter

Is The F-35 Worth $115 Million?

Even with all of the massive delays and cost overruns, the plane is turning out to be well worth the cost invested. There's literally no other plane on the planet that can do what it can in terms of combining stealth and sensor fusion. And the aircraft racks up 19 to 1 kill ratios in Red Flag exercises. The plane cements the West's air superiority for the next couple of decades at least.

Given how cheap drones and missiles are everything else is a waste of money by comparison - militarily speaking. It was like that article the other day with the Army's new super artillery. How on earth is that remotely practical or worth it in the era of smart bombs? Just the American MIC fleecing the American taxpayer as usual.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >