Get Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_ for Free

The new freebies are now out on the Epic Games Store, where a Free Game Collection is now available offering copies of Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_. These are yours to keep if you pick them up over the next week. After that another Free Game Collection will take its place, offering Layers of Fear and Q.U.B.E. 2 at no charge. Here's more on this week's new giveaways:
Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
In this brand new standalone experience, Alan Wake fights the herald of darkness, the evil Mr. Scratch! A thrilling new storyline, hordes of creepy enemies, serious firepower and beautiful Arizona locations, combined with a fun and challenging new game mode make this a must for Alan Wake veterans, and the perfect jumping on point for new players!

What Would You Do if Your Fears Were Hacked?
You are Dan Lazarski, an elite neural detective known as an Observer, and part of a corporate-funded police unit whose purpose is to hack and invade suspects’ minds. In this future, anything you think, feel or remember can be used against you in a court of law.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Get Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_ for Free
Oct 17, 2019, 21:58
Re: Get Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_ for Free Oct 17, 2019, 21:58
Oct 17, 2019, 21:58

Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 20:46:
Yeah, I gave a run for the past hour or two and just quit and uninstalled. It wasn't scary, just irritating. I hate all that symbolic mind crap. It's like Officer Albrect said in The Crow
Oh great! Great! Guy shows up looking like a mime from hell and you lose him, right out in the open. Well, at least he didn't do that 'walking against the wind' shit. I hate that.

It's not really a horror game, more cyber-punk than anything. It was a few horror-ish moments, but for the most part you play it for the story, and it's a pretty good one.

Oct 17, 2019, 20:55
Re: Get Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_ for Free Oct 17, 2019, 20:55
Oct 17, 2019, 20:55

Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 20:46:
Yeah, I gave a run for the past hour or two and just quit and uninstalled. It wasn't scary, just irritating. I hate all that symbolic mind crap. It's like Officer Albrect said in The Crow
Oh great! Great! Guy shows up looking like a mime from hell and you lose him, right out in the open. Well, at least he didn't do that 'walking against the wind' shit. I hate that.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression with the Amnesia comparison, I don't think it's primarily supposed to be a scary game... so uh, you're right on with that observation. The Amnesia comparison was more like, "it's the Amnesia kind of walking simulator"... light puzzle solving, atmospheric, mostly empty setting.

edit: I guess they do describe it as a "psychological horror" game. But I'm not really even into horror games so that's not what attracted me to it, or Amnesia for that matter.

Oct 17, 2019, 20:46
Cutter

Re: Get Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_ for Free Oct 17, 2019, 20:46
Oct 17, 2019, 20:46
 Cutter

"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Oct 17, 2019, 19:56
Re: Get Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_ for Free Oct 17, 2019, 19:56
Oct 17, 2019, 19:56

Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 17:08:
I've heard several people say Observer is quite good.

It might just be me saying it several times.
And I like those kind of games, but I can see why people don't.

It's an Adventure game, walking simulator, with some Amnesia-like survival horror aspects.
Cyberpunk neo-noir setting with Rutger Hauer voicing the main character.
It's a short game if you don't try to do absolutely everything, and even then it's not that long... but I'm a click on every single door and listen to every single line of spoken dialog kind of person. It does have some optional side quests and it does have some extra lore and stories to root out.
The art and aesthetics are the strongest point of the game.
The sequences where you enter people's minds are very well done... that concept has been done in a lot of other similar sci-fi, but it reminds me of a mix of Psychonauts (without the platforming) and the show Altered Carbon (the hotel AI entering the mind of the girl that got uploaded to cyberspace).

Oct 17, 2019, 17:08
Cutter

Re: Get Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_ for Free Oct 17, 2019, 17:08
Oct 17, 2019, 17:08
 Cutter

I've heard several people say Observer is quite good.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Oct 17, 2019, 17:07
Re: Get Alan Wake’s American Nightmare and >observer_ for Free Oct 17, 2019, 17:07
Oct 17, 2019, 17:07

We have a bingo.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older