Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

It's been long enough since my sciatica pain subsided that I now find myself sitting in ways that I shouldn't. Clearly I haven't learned my lesson well enough, though as soon as I notice my lapses I start to sit up straight again. Clearly old habits die hard, but hopefully I am being attentive enough that I can avoid a relapse. I certainly don't want to go through that pain again, especially if it can be avoided.

Unavoidable Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2020 nominees are....
Dutch family 'waiting for end of time' discovered in basement. Thanks Acleacius.
Bringing in the big gun: Army paves way for “strategic cannon.” Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: Humans will never leave Earth’s solar system- Nobel laureate. Thanks RedEye9.
Near-infinite specific thrust from drive that ignores physics. Thanks Neutronbeam.
CBD or THC: Common Drug Test Can’t Tell the Difference. Thanks j.c.f.
How Magic Mushrooms Can Help Smokers Kick The Habit. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Irish man leaves funny recording for his funeral. NSFW.
Customer Service In Real Life.
Cruise Ship Passing Through Corinth Canal.
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Humans will never leave Earth’s solar system Oct 17, 2019, 10:46 Mr. Tact

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 00:01:
lul. 100 years. We'll be long gone way before then. It's already too late. f.
I won't deny we are on a bad course which could have dire results. However, it seems likely we will be around that long at least. Will there be a major event causing a large depopulation? A new flu, food shortages, water shortages, or a major world war? Possibly. But I certainly believe we will still be around, and I think it is likely there will still be people living as well as most in the US do now.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2019, 04:03 jdreyer

Blue, to help prevent sciatica, get an inversion table.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2019, 04:02 jdreyer

Near-infinite specific thrust from drive that ignores physics.

I've already solved the problem of near Infinite thrust. At least, according to complaints from my wife.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2019, 03:32 jdreyer

Bringing in the big gun: Army paves way for “strategic cannon.”

Pioneered by the Nazis of course. Is there any modern weapons system that doesn't have its roots in the Nazi experimental weapons research?

14. Re: Humans will never leave Earth’s solar system Oct 17, 2019, 00:01 ForgedReality

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 16, 2019, 12:13:
The difficulties around interstellar travel are certainly, at this point in time, insurmountable. The only way it will become possible is by a leap in technology which is currently unforeseeable. Yes, there are some guesses/theories about how it might be achieved, but no concrete thoughts about how we would get there. That said, it is difficult to imagine what technologies might evolve in the next 100 years, let alone the next 500 years. If it is ever accomplished it is difficult to imagine an achievement which would surpass it.

As I have said here many times, absolutes are generally a bad idea.

lul. 100 years. We'll be long gone way before then. It's already too late. f.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 23:08 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 16, 2019, 11:58:
We're so far past most of the dystopian nightmare fictional scenarios of previous decades that's almost laughable now.
Unless this was intended as a knock on the current political situation, I don't know why you'd think or say that. There are plenty of fictional scenarios which have us being far worse off than we are now... There were plenty of people who were sure the cold war would have caused planet to be destroyed by nuclear bombs by now. Of course, that ending is certainly still a possibility...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 22:55 SunnyD

Cutter wrote on Oct 16, 2019, 17:32:
We're so far past most of the dystopian nightmare fictional scenarios of previous decades that's almost laughable now.
<<snip>>
And what do you think the odds are of people actually making that happen? Game over, man. Game over.

I'm still holding out hope for a future Participation-Award Winning former-YouTube 'influencer' President to pull a big win for us all! I'mma gonna party bigly.

Until then, I'm with Saint George Carlin on all this.. screwed up as it is, it's a helluva show.

~Finis~

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 17:32 Cutter

Yeah well you just let WWIII know that when it arrives in the next couple of decades. Point in fact, the dystopia is just now really starting to unfold and it's picking up speed. Unless there's a fundamental shift in how people live and act on this planet within the next 20 years it's pretty much all over but the crying. And what do you think the odds are of people actually making that happen? Game over, man. Game over.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 14:27 RedEye9

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 16, 2019, 14:14:
BTW bad link on the Nobel Laureate story, gets scam page.
Works fine here on 2 different computers, a phone and a tablet.
nydailynews.com site, not a scam site

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 14:14 Ozmodan

BTW bad link on the Nobel Laureate story, gets scam page.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 13:47 D-Rock

theglaze wrote on Oct 16, 2019, 12:31:
CBD or THC: Common Drug Test Can’t Tell the Difference.

I've often wondered about this, using CBD for pain relief is very common, and operating heavy machinery or a car should be fine. I equate the effects to an Advil. But I guess Officer Joe could throw the book at anyone caught in the act....?

The problem is that in the interest of safety Joe will assume that it's THC. There are some pretty potent THC gummies out there and with the growing demand you have a lot of people that don't understand edibles metabolize differently than smoking. It's kind of like alcohol for some people. Once they realize they are f*cked up it's too late -- they've already consumed to much. Everyone reacts differently and sometimes it's not good. Those are the people you don't want operating machinery.

Even though that stuff is legal in some states you can still get a DUI if you overdo it.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 12:31 theglaze

CBD or THC: Common Drug Test Can’t Tell the Difference.

I've often wondered about this, using CBD for pain relief is very common, and operating heavy machinery or a car should be fine. I equate the effects to an Advil. But I guess Officer Joe could throw the book at anyone caught in the act....?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 12:28 JZ Temple

Cruise Ship Passing Through Corinth Canal.

My father was a Panama Canal pilot just after WW2. One time he brought an Iowa class battleship through the canal, in the locks the ship had a couple of feet to spare on each side

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 12:27 theglaze

The ultra rich however, will indeed leave the dying masses behind at some point in the near future, as soon as the technology is available.

I don't think so. A king without his followers is just a man.

4. Re: Humans will never leave Earth’s solar system Oct 16, 2019, 12:13 Mr. Tact

The difficulties around interstellar travel are certainly, at this point in time, insurmountable. The only way it will become possible is by a leap in technology which is currently unforeseeable. Yes, there are some guesses/theories about how it might be achieved, but no concrete thoughts about how we would get there. That said, it is difficult to imagine what technologies might evolve in the next 100 years, let alone the next 500 years. If it is ever accomplished it is difficult to imagine an achievement which would surpass it.

As I have said here many times, absolutes are generally a bad idea.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 12:01 Burrito of Peace

We will leave the solar system, probably in craft that are designed as best guesses and technology that is lacking some real world testing. If only for the fact that we, as a species, have never designed truly long distance, interstellar craft or the technology within them to support the craft and its human occupants.

This is because it will fulfill something I was told as a boy and has proven true my entire life. That is people will never address a large problem and solve it effectively until it becomes an absolute, life/career/job/world ending crisis.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 11:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 16, 2019, 11:11:
Humans will never leave Earth’s solar system- Nobel laureate-

Which boils down to we'll never leave the earth in any appreciable number nor colonize other planets, meaning we'd better take care of terra firma.
Man-made Climate Change is real, it's time for governments to listen to scientists instead of dollar bills.

Humanity as a whole will never leave the solar system, or even Earth. The ultra rich however, will indeed leave the dying masses behind at some point in the near future, as soon as the technology is available.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2019, 11:11 RedEye9

Humans will never leave Earth’s solar system- Nobel laureate-

Which boils down to we'll never leave the earth in any appreciable number nor colonize other planets, meaning we'd better take care of terra firma.
Man-made Climate Change is real, it's time for governments to listen to scientists instead of dollar bills.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >