Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans

In a tweet late last week, The Coalition Studio cautions players who quit Gears 5 multiplayer matches that they risk being banned from the shooter sequel for up to a year (thanks VG247). Here's the warning:
Quitters have been receiving month to year long suspensions for prior behavior.

This is how long you can be suspended for being a rampant quitter. Take heed.

Over the next few hours, impacted users will be un-suspended, but 1 quit away from suspension.

You have been warned.
View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2019, 17:59 Kxmode

They wrote "Over the next few hours, impacted users will be un-suspended, but 1 quit away from suspension." That sounds like a one-strike-your-out policy. Hence my original question.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans Oct 15, 2019, 09:32 Primalchrome

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 23:19:
Can they detect whether someone's connection died during a multiplayer match? I suspect not.
Most modern multiplayer games that have penalties for quitting have some controls in place to help discern if it's a ragequit. That said, over a period, even they don't care if you're quitting because you're a toddler or if you have a bad connection. If you have rampant disconnects, you are consistently impacting the play and enjoyment of the other 5, 9, 15, or more consumers of the product.

3. Re: Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans Oct 15, 2019, 01:33 jdreyer

Can they detect whether someone's connection died during a multiplayer match? I suspect not.
When your connection "dies" 10 times in an evening when you're losing, but never when you're winning, well...

The other thing is I'm sure they're looking at patterns of quitting, not the occasional random disconnect.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

2. Re: Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans Oct 14, 2019, 23:45 NKD

I don't know how they could, at least not with certainty. It seems like it would be trivial though, to write an algorithm that can recognize the difference between a person with legitimate connection issues and someone who is quitting when things aren't going their way.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

1. Re: Gears 5 Quitters Risk Lengthy Bans Oct 14, 2019, 23:19 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >