blitzchung Speaks Out

Ng 'blitzchung' Wai Chung now offers a response to Blizzard's statement about reducing the penalties he suffered after voicing support for Hong Kong protesters following his victory in the Hearthstone Grandmasters tournament (thanks PC Gamer). After initially stripping him of this winnings, banning him from the game for a year, and making him ineligible for the Grandmasters series, Blizzard restored his prize purse, reinstated his Grandmaster status, and reduced his ban to six months. Here's the English half of blitzchung's bilingual statement, which says he's still considering whether he will continue to play Hearthstone competitively:
Thank you for your attention in the past one week, this is a personal statement and my view on Blizzard's latest decision. First of all, I'm grateful for Blizzard reconsidering their position about my ban. Earlier this week, I told media that I knew I might have penalty or consequence for my act, because I understand that my act could take the conversation away from the purpose of the event. In the future, I will be more careful on that and express my opinions or show my support to Hong Kong on my personal platforms.

Many people has been asking me if I accept the latest decision of Blizzard, I will discuss that on two parts. Tournament prizing and suspension. For tournament prizing, I quoted what Blizzard said on the official website, they mention that I played fair in the tournament and they believe I should receive my prizing. This is the part I really appreciate, Blizzard also said they understand for some this is not about the prize, but perhaps for others it is disrespectful to even discuss it. People from Blizzard had explained this to me through a phone call and I really appreciate that and I accept their decision on this part.

For second part about the suspension, Blizzard had changed their suspension on me from a year to six months. Once again, I appreciate for their reconsideration on this. To be honest, I think six months is still quite a lot to me. But I also being told that I can continue to compete in the hearthstone pro circuit which they mean the grandmaster tournament. I appreciate for this decision they made because grandmaster is currently the highest level tournament in competitive hearthstone. However, I wish Blizzard can reconsider about their penalty on the two casters involved.

Lastly, many people wants to know if i would be competing in hearthstone in the future. Honestly, I have no idea on that yet. Since my next tournament is very likely to be the grandmaster tournament of next season, it's probably at least a few months from now on. I will take this time to relax myself to decide if I am staying in competitive hearthstone scene or not.

Hearthstone changed my the way I live, I really love this community. Blessing to all the players out there, and blessing to Blizzard.
View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: blitzchung Speaks Out
Oct 15, 2019, 09:25
Dev

Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 15, 2019, 09:25
Oct 15, 2019, 09:25
 Dev

SirKnight wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 13:25:
"In the future, I will be more careful on that and express my opinions or show my support to Hong Kong on my personal platforms."

And that won't stop any of the consequences. Corporations still fire people over stuff they say in personal social media. And the terms that blizzard gives for the prizes make it so if there is ANYTHING they don't like the look of, they can do this.

Oct 14, 2019, 07:56
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 14, 2019, 07:56
Oct 14, 2019, 07:56

Luke wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 06:25:
Political bull has nothing to do in games / sport ECT whining babies
Everything we do is political, even the things we choose not to do.

Oct 14, 2019, 06:25
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 14, 2019, 06:25
Oct 14, 2019, 06:25

Political bull has nothing to do in games / sport ECT whining babies

Oct 14, 2019, 03:34
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 14, 2019, 03:34
Oct 14, 2019, 03:34

Racist gesture in Blizzard (OW) tournament: 3 match suspension. Support Hong Kong protesters in Blizzard (HS) tournament: 6 month suspension.

Every voice matters, just some matter more than others.

Oct 13, 2019, 20:20
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 20:20
Oct 13, 2019, 20:20

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 17:39:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 16:13:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 16:06:
El Pit wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 15:47:
He who pays the piper calls the tune.

So much about "freedom of speech".

Maybe you should actually read the First Amendment.

Constitutional freedom of speech doesn't apply to private corporations for the most part. The exceptions are for protected classes.
Of course, but we as a society are allowed to resist things that may technically be legal, but not in line with our collective morality. We are free to boycott any business that acts in a way that harms our basic freedoms.
Absolutely. I was just helping Jacob clarify to Mr. Pit.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 13, 2019, 20:18
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 20:18
Oct 13, 2019, 20:18

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 17:03:

Constitutional freedom of speech doesn't apply to private corporations for the most part. The exceptions are for protected classes.

Whilst true, it's also true that he who has the gold makes the rules. If you bite the hand that feeds you you can probably expect to stop being fed. He should tell Blizzard to go fuck themselves but then he's turning down a possible fortune for playing a video game. Unless you're already loaded walking away from that is a lot easier said than done. So you can't blame him for being cautious. It was good of him to mention the broadcasters and people should not forget about them and keep boycotting Blizzard for that if no other reason. Personally, I hope those two sue Blizzard for dismissal without cause and win a truck full of money.

Yup, I don't disagree with any of that.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 13, 2019, 17:39
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 17:39

Of course, but we as a society are allowed to resist things that may technically be legal, but not in line with our collective morality. We are free to boycott any business that acts in a way that harms our basic freedoms.

Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 17:39

Heh, corporations are finding out sometimes having eggs in baskets around the planet can be a difficult situation. China doesn't have anything like free speech, and they are increasingly buying up stakes in US companies. So when a US employee/citizen makes a comment China doesn't like, the US company feels obliged to squash that speech, which is their right. However, they will find they have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

For decades, it's increasingly been all about the "shareholders", and only shareholders. But the customers and employees should have rights and a voice too, and while the shareholders might invest money, they don't generate the profits. In the end, that's why the population wields the most power.

Oct 13, 2019, 17:23
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 17:23
Oct 13, 2019, 17:23

So Blizzard did pretty much a similar move as the owners of that football club did to Kapernick when his freedom of expression melted their snowflake. And for pretty much the same kind of motivation. On the holy altar of the almighty $.

Oct 13, 2019, 17:03
Cutter

Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 17:03
Oct 13, 2019, 17:03
 Cutter

Whilst true, it's also true that he who has the gold makes the rules. If you bite the hand that feeds you you can probably expect to stop being fed. He should tell Blizzard to go fuck themselves but then he's turning down a possible fortune for playing a video game. Unless you're already loaded walking away from that is a lot easier said than done. So you can't blame him for being cautious. It was good of him to mention the broadcasters and people should not forget about them and keep boycotting Blizzard for that if no other reason. Personally, I hope those two sue Blizzard for dismissal without cause and win a truck full of money.

"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Oct 13, 2019, 16:13
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 16:13
Oct 13, 2019, 16:13

Oct 13, 2019, 16:11
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 16:11
Oct 13, 2019, 16:11

"In the future, I will be more careful on that and express my opinions or show my support to Hong Kong on my personal platforms."

I can't agree with this. This is just succumbing to political correctness. If someone is trying to spread a message of truth due to some injustice, then you should take advantage of ALL possible platforms to reach as many people as possible. Don't be afraid to speak the truth, even if it's hard for some to hear, that's their problem. Now that he did this, many more know about the situation that otherwise would not. The truth is appropriate everywhere.

Protesting shall only be permitted in the specified protest zone, which are located five miles from the venue next to the sewage processing facility. Proximity to said facility is strictly coincidental and not a statement on the value of protesting.

Oct 13, 2019, 16:06
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 16:06
Oct 13, 2019, 16:06

Oct 13, 2019, 15:47
El Pit

Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 15:47
Oct 13, 2019, 15:47
 El Pit

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Oct 13, 2019, 14:24
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 14:24
Oct 13, 2019, 14:24

I can't agree with this. This is just succumbing to political correctness. If someone is trying to spread a message of truth due to some injustice, then you should take advantage of ALL possible platforms to reach as many people as possible. Don't be afraid to speak the truth, even if it's hard for some to hear, that's their problem. Now that he did this, many more know about the situation that otherwise would not. The truth is appropriate everywhere.

Of course that's morally right, but it's also a lot easier to say when you're not the one whose income is in the balance. For a sponsor, there's very little benefit to hiring someone whose bonus perk, in video game terms, is to cut off the Chinese income stream by ignoring their (currently vague and arbitrary) rules. I'd respect blitzchung if he stood by his guns, but I don't hold it against him for not choosing martrydom, especially when the issue is almost certain to be brutally settled within a few months.

And it seems to me that it's only succumbing to political correctness when you agree with their message. The only people in the West rooting for the Hong Kong police are emigrants from China, but I don't see many conservative's standing up for Megan Rapinoe or Colin Kaepernick's right to use their celebrity as a platform. I've seen plenty of "Shut up and do your job" levied against them.

EDIT: Oh, man, it looks this is already being worked over thoroughly in the other thread. Oh well.

Oct 13, 2019, 13:25
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 13:25
Oct 13, 2019, 13:25

Oct 13, 2019, 13:03
Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 13, 2019, 13:03
Oct 13, 2019, 13:03

What a beef
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older