Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

Kotaku - PC Game Install Sizes Are Ballooning And I'm Scared.
"Unlike on consoles, PC games aren’t as constrained by disc space, either, so developers can go a little wilder with how much space games take up. So yeah, Modern Warfare and Red Dead Redemption 2 will probably look best on PC, but you might want to do some spring (fall?) cleaning before you buy them. Or you can just be like me, continue treating your hard drive like your messy bedroom, and resign yourself to only installing one game at a time. Also, the embrace of the void."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Op Ed Oct 13, 2019, 20:05 Ant

I'm glad I don't computer/video game anymore. Even decade old games are too big IMO! Huge SSD sizes are still expensive to me too.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 13:53 Intern

Well, the hard drive/SSD is at least one of the components of a laptop the end-user actually can upgrade themselves.  

31. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 10:35 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 12, 2019, 02:36:
Unless you game on a laptop, which a lot of people do.
Large game sizes have been a thing for a while.
Laptop drives are also upgrade-able.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

30. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 09:12 Drath71

Gosh, I'm already feeling guilty about my PC priveledge. I couldn't have possibly done anything to earn it, especially when others poor boobs have to make do with a console. I must be oppressing them somehow!!!

PC Guilt
It's REAL

29. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 08:23 Burrito of Peace

Simon Says wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 21:40:
I'm glad not to live in a shitty country that doesn't even value its own citizens lives and health. *winks* Priorities you know?

Priorities indeed. Maybe we can ask some Natives how much Canada values their lives and health?

Oh, lemme do just that since my BIL is a Native and works with that demographic daily in the Canadian prison system.

Also, didn't y'all jut have Orange Shirt Day to recognize the horrific things done in Residential Schools done by Canada to its Native population? Why, yes, yes you did.

Not a good idea to try and make a smartass comment about the state of someone else's house when you haven't cleaned up your own first.

Though, I agree, pedantic elitism is overrated.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

28. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 02:36 jdreyer

Icewind wrote on Oct 12, 2019, 00:29:
The writer must not be getting paid much by Kotaku, because I recently grabbed a 4TB drive for $90 and have been using that. I have a 2TB from before, which combined gives me more than enough for games. I have about 20-30 PC games already installed through various launchers and only have half of that space taken up.

Don't know why they're complaining. This has always been the case. I remember Daggerfall coming out in the fall of 1996 and my 1.2GB hard drive was gobbled up by the game's optimal 400MB install.

Buy another drive, they're cheap.

Unless you game on a laptop, which a lot of people do.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

27. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 02:01 jacobvandy

Jeez, it reeks of arrogance and ignorance in here... Oh, look, a list of 193 American ISPs -- ranging from the biggest in the country to tiny municipal operations -- which enact data caps on their customers: https://broadbandnow.com/internet-providers-with-data-caps

26. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2019, 00:29 Icewind

The writer must not be getting paid much by Kotaku, because I recently grabbed a 4TB drive for $90 and have been using that. I have a 2TB from before, which combined gives me more than enough for games. I have about 20-30 PC games already installed through various launchers and only have half of that space taken up.

Don't know why they're complaining. This has always been the case. I remember Daggerfall coming out in the fall of 1996 and my 1.2GB hard drive was gobbled up by the game's optimal 400MB install.

Buy another drive, they're cheap.

25. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 22:54 MattyC

I haven’t noticed anything on the PC really. At any rate it isn’t pc specific. Plenty of console games are absurdly large with absurdly large patches.  

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

24. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 21:40 Simon Says

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 21:16:
Don't live in a shitty country.

I'm glad not to live in a shitty country that doesn't even value its own citizens lives and health. *winks* Priorities you know? And I'm also glad all but 1 first world country do value their citizens lives and health. Perhaps someday you guys down south will join the civilized countries club, we'll welcome you with open arms. By the looks of it, it might happen sooner rather than later, here's to hoping.

Yes there is sarcasm in that comment^^, on that note, pedantic elitism is overrated. Cheers!

23. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 21:16 Burrito of Peace

Simon Says wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 19:32:
Sorry, but data caps, globally ( when considered in % of users on all platforms ), are the norm, not the exception.

Sucks to be them. Don't live in a shitty country. Nor was I referring to a global demographic, just my specific usage since it was in the context of my entire post which dealt solely with my data hoarding setup.

There are very few providers with data caps in my service area. Some shitty wireless setups using radio and, of course, DSL but no one here but those who have no other choice use DSL. It's too slow, too expensive, and too limited.

22. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 19:32 Simon Says

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 17:22:
Very few places do have data caps.

Sorry, but data caps, globally ( when considered in % of users on all platforms ), are the norm, not the exception. It was the norm too in Canada until recently when the CRTC finally forced all ISPs to offer unlimited on wired connections.

Doesn't help people like me still on wireless tho.

Altho that is gonna change soon, the Liberal Party under Trudeau financed ISPs to run fiber ( FTTH ) to as many households as possible, especially those that lacked wired connections, the result, less than a month ago, they ran fiber here on a gravel road lost in the middle of nowhere. Word is it's gonna be available in about a month. Can't wait <3.

Still not gonna vote for the Libs tho, they've shown their true colors in the pipeline debate, the Cons are even worse. Voted orange ( NPD ) last time, think this time my vote is gonna go to the Greens tho. We need to stop fucking around with our planet/ship life support systems and make sure we'll actually survive before worrying about almost anything else. Doing anything less is pure madness.

21. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 17:22 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:14:
Storage is cheap, but data caps are not. Also, how much have you invested in your setup? Sounds like several thousand just in hardware, not including labor.

I don't have a data cap. Very few places do have data caps. I understand that they suck, however.

A lot more than several thousand in hardware. But...no kids and no debt so it's all my own personal expenditure.

20. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 16:51 Drayth

chickenboo wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:10:

It's not only that, it's lazy journalism. "Oh look Reddit is complaining about RDR2's file size, sounds like a quick n easy article clickbate for me!"

yep, this

19. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 16:14 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 15:57:
Oh! Is this where we get to brag about our storage density? It is?! AWESOME!

So, on this box, I have 6 SSDs. One 256GB for boot, one 512GB for /home, 4 960GB drives in RAID0 mounted to /games.

Now, that's clearly solely for local storage. I have two 40TB arrays. Array 1 is for media storage, system backups, VM hosting, and the like. That does a nightly backup to Array 2 (hence the identical sizes) plus hourly delta changes. Everything in the house is Cat6, short runs, and connects via a 10GBe backbone. The two servers and my desktop all have 10Gbe NICs in them. Mrs. B and the other denizens of the house connect via either 1Gbe or wifi.

I also have a 120TB array sitting at a colo facility that both Array 1 and Array 2 back up to over a gigabit uplink (which actually sees 900Mb+/- upstream nearly constantly) in mirrored pair backups.

If I ever run out of space on the RAID0 array, I could always redirect my Steam folder to live on Array 1. Then I could throw another 10Gbe NIC in the system and use multipath I/O so I'd equal about the same transfer rate as a S3 connection.

I am in no way concerned about how big games are getting. Storage is cheap.
Storage is cheap, but data caps are not. Also, how much have you invested in your setup? Sounds like several thousand just in hardware, not including labor.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 16:07 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 15:57:
I am in no way concerned about how big games are getting.
And that's the deal, games will never be small again.
Not even if you wear a red cap with the letters MGSA. There's a reason #MakeGamesSmallAgain is not trending on twotter.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

17. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 15:57 Burrito of Peace

Oh! Is this where we get to brag about our storage density? It is?! AWESOME!

So, on this box, I have 6 SSDs. One 256GB for boot, one 512GB for /home, 4 960GB drives in RAID0 mounted to /games.

Now, that's clearly solely for local storage. I have two 40TB arrays. Array 1 is for media storage, system backups, VM hosting, and the like. That does a nightly backup to Array 2 (hence the identical sizes) plus hourly delta changes. Everything in the house is Cat6, short runs, and connects via a 10GBe backbone. The two servers and my desktop all have 10Gbe NICs in them. Mrs. B and the other denizens of the house connect via either 1Gbe or wifi.

I also have a 120TB array sitting at a colo facility that both Array 1 and Array 2 back up to over a gigabit uplink (which actually sees 900Mb+/- upstream nearly constantly) in mirrored pair backups.

If I ever run out of space on the RAID0 array, I could always redirect my Steam folder to live on Array 1. Then I could throw another 10Gbe NIC in the system and use multipath I/O so I'd equal about the same transfer rate as a S3 connection.

I am in no way concerned about how big games are getting. Storage is cheap.

16. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 15:47 jdreyer

chickenboo wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:10:
D-Rock wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 11:43:
Games are not going to get smaller. news at 11

I didn't read the article. The headline was enough to turn me away. It's idiotic.

Of course games are going to get bigger. Storage will also grow in size at a similar rate. What is there to be 'scared' of?!?

I'm so tired of crappy journalism -- but I guess it's just Kotaku being Kotaku...

It's not only that, it's lazy journalism. "Oh look Reddit is complaining about RDR2's file size, sounds like a quick n easy article clickbate for me!"
I was pretty shocked at the size when I read it on Blues a couple days ago.

15. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 14:48 Armengar

1tb ssds are under 100 now and a 2tb is under 200. 6tb hdd are cheap enough too.  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

14. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 14:33 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 14:25:
I dunno, 8 gb of RAM has been the standard for the past decade. Yet AAA games were a quarter of the size back then that they are today. I think there's a lot of unnecessary bloat going on.

There is, this info was taken from a next-gen console official info article, but I paraphrased:

"Currently, data is duplicated in order to facilitate fast load times and minimize seek time on HDDs, sometimes they have up to 10 copies of the same data on the install pack for that. That was brought about by the use of HDDs as standard upto now in consoles and the problem was ported over to PCs install packs, because as usual, laziness ( and some people on PC are still on HDDs too )."

Article also stated they're gonna solve that duplication issue entirely by switching to SSDs.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >