Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

We swore off most fast-food joints many years ago, but curiosity got the best of us, and yesterday MrsBlue and I stopped into a Burger King to try this Impossible Whopper they've been hyping like crazy. This turned out to be pretty much as advertised, as if you didn't tell me this had no beef I'd have thought it was just a regular Whopper. That is pretty cool, though I don't think this will turn us into regular customers: The place was filthy, the Whopper was a slopper, haphazardly strewn with scant quantities of the trimmings, and they took advantage of our interest by gouging us for close to seven dollars a burger. Not that we were expecting a gourmet meal and tablecloths, but novelty aside, it was a pretty shabby experience.

Burger Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Star Trek Just Retconned Tribbles. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Why Is the World So Loud. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Father sues Tesla after teen son killed in flaming crash. Claims 116 mph crash was "entirely survivable." Thanks ViperFour.
Science: Science discovers we have an ‘inner salamander’ and can regrow cartilage in our joints. Thanks Max.
Scientists Implant False Memories into Bird Brains. Get your tail to Mars! Thanks Max.
MIT Confirms a Da Vinci Bridge Was Brilliantly Engineered. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Media: When a game malfunctions - Burning Man.
DOOM 2016 with Half-Life SFX.
REJECTED by DON HERTZFELDT (Blu-ray restoration).
View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2019, 20:19 Mr. Tact

VoodooV wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 17:14:
I don't see how these one-off streaming services can be sustainable with people just purchasing one month and binging then dropping.
My guess, they survive on the people who forget to drop, or at least spend three months paying without watching...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2019, 17:14 VoodooV

I don't see how these one-off streaming services can be sustainable with people just purchasing one month and binging then dropping.

illegal downloads are obviously going to rise again because of this nonsense. I also keep thinking that because this doesn't seem sustainable, that these services will eventually go out of business and we'll be back to where we started with a few companies with much bigger libraries.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 03:04 Scheherazade

jdreyer wrote on Oct 12, 2019, 03:01:
Scheherazade wrote on Oct 12, 2019, 02:37:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:24:
Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:01:
Also, if you're worried about your kids surviving, maybe don't buy them a car that accelerates like a fucking rocket.
Is 0-60 in 4.0 seconds fast? A McLaren can do it in 3.

My friend has a Tesla, and I've ridden in it. The acceleration is incredible. I was afraid to drive it actually.

I daily drove a 3 second 0-60 car for 8 years.

Flooring it at every red light, from 0-speed limit.

Not even a week and I was so used to it that it felt mundane. Just the new normal.

The only thing it did was to alter my perspective on what feels slow. A 90's accord, or a modern mustang, I didn't really distinguish anymore. They were both just different flavors of slow. (only tuner cars with engines loaded up with upgrades costing more than the average car actually felt fast anymore - and I suspect only because I didn't have one of my own to get used to)

It made me think of how an 80's Ferrari has the same 0-60 as a modern minivan. In the 80's people would say 'who needs to go this fast?' about the Ferrari, but today nobody even notices the minivan. I'm basically in the same zone with the ~3 ish second stuff. After everything gets quicker and everyone gets used to it, it will just be the sort of normal that nobody even notices. I suspect electrification will be sooner than people expect, and I suspect this sort of acceleration will just come along with it.

Actually, I've kinda stopped caring about 0-60 as much as I used to. Now I just want 'quick enough', while also being small, light, manual transmission, no frills, older, a bit loud, a bit rough around the edges... basically fun.

-scheherazade

What did you drive that did 0-60 in 3 seconds?

09 GTR, with very minor mods.

Here's a link to a transmission build (and general maintenance) I did at home.
https://forums.dcawd.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13204

I mostly did reliability upgrades, as I considered it 'fast enough', and going faster quickly balloons in price.

In hind sight, it was a good car. Very comfortable, effortlessly quick, and all-in-all cheap to maintain (Parts are quite affordable, maybe 2x the cost of a typical sedan's parts. DIY labor tho.). Resale was incredible, I paid far more in property tax than I lost in devaluation. And if I were to buy one today (prices bottomed out already), I could lose ~nothing.

Actually, I spent more money maintaining a Subaru (Over a shorter time period, too. Completely unmodified.)

If the GTR was a manual, I probably would have kept it for life.
Unfortunately, being an auto, it became boring in regular use. I would take it to an autocross and it was fun. But the drive there and back was snooze town.

By comparison, a Lotus Elise is a riot just going from A to B - absolutely giggle worthy, even though it's far slower.

A side note that's more on topic :

Modern race car safety gear (cage, containment seat, HANS device, harness, etc) does actually make a 116 mph crash into a wall survivable. Actually, it's more likely than not that you would avoid life threatening injury - as happens all the time in races. You can watch clips of horrendously fast (even faster than 116) racing impacts onto barrier walls where the drive gets out and walks away.

If people were actually willing to go through the rigamarole of gearing up, car crash deaths would be an anomaly. It's interesting to me how many people die in car crashes, in light of how it's technically a choice (generally/phylosophically speaking, in light of what's possible) to be vulnerable in the event of an impact. Comfort/convenience vs risk.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2019, 03:42.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 03:01 jdreyer

Scheherazade wrote on Oct 12, 2019, 02:37:
Also, if you're worried about your kids surviving, maybe don't buy them a car that accelerates like a fucking rocket.

My friend has a Tesla, and I've ridden in it. The acceleration is incredible. I was afraid to drive it actually.

Not even a week and I was so used to it that it felt mundane. Just the new normal.

The only thing it did was to alter my perspective on what feels slow. A 90's accord, or a modern mustang, I didn't really distinguish anymore. They were both just different flavors of slow. (only tuner cars with engines loaded up with upgrades costing more than the average car actually felt fast anymore - and I suspect only because I didn't have one of my own to get used to)

It made me think of how an 80's Ferrari has the same 0-60 as a modern minivan. In the 80's people would say 'who needs to go this fast?' about the Ferrari, but today nobody even notices the minivan. I'm basically in the same zone with the ~3 ish second stuff. After everything gets quicker and everyone gets used to it, it will just be the sort of normal that nobody even notices. I suspect electrification will be sooner than people expect, and I suspect this sort of acceleration will just come along with it.

Actually, I've kinda stopped caring about 0-60 as much as I used to. Now I just want 'quick enough', while also being small, light, manual transmission, no frills, older, a bit loud, a bit rough around the edges... basically fun.

-scheherazade

What did you drive that did 0-60 in 3 seconds?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 02:58 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 21:14:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:27:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 14:15:
Primalchrome wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:23:
Who pays for CBS All Access, anyway? I know one person that did when Star Trek originally released but he let it lapse after the first season...
Beats me -- I was interested in watching Discovery, but I wasn't going to pay for CBS All Access for it. The amusing thing to me is how everyone is "cutting the cord" -- dropping cable and satellite tv to use Netflix, Hulu, or whatever. But we are just ending up in the same place. As more and more content becomes exclusive to a specific provider you end up have to pay $10-15 a month to so many providers it ends up costing you as much as cable and satellite did...
I think CBS All Access is $6 per month? I'm going to subscribe soon so I can watch Discovery.

Picard is coming out in february, i would wait until then.

Thanks for the tip. I still have a few seasons of Voyager I haven't seen, so maybe I'll work on those in the meantime.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 02:54 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 18:01:
Ho Lee Shit Batman
The only person worth the air he breathed, Shep Smith, just quit faux noise. I wonder what real fake news they were trying to make him spew.

Well, maybe he'll join a network I actually watch so I'll see him more.

From what I've seen of him, he's got charisma, honesty, and gravitas, so it shouldn't be hard for him to find a new home. I'm actually surprised that a 55 year old <ahem> bachelor lasted this long at Fox News.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 02:37 Scheherazade

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2019, 02:53.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 02:32 Scheherazade

Who pays for CBS All Access, anyway? I know one person that did when Star Trek originally released but he let it lapse after the first season...

The user comments on the Tesla death story are hilarious. "That dad and his son must be liberals" is the consistent sentiment. I'm not sure political affiliation has anything to do with trying to game our Torts system.

Going on historical record in the media, the two types of people that often 'pass the buck' in these cases are either liberals (because it's always an institution's fault, never the individual's) or low income folk ('wallet content' and 'probability of disavowing culpability - for a payday' are [understandably] inversely proportional). BTW, this isn't a criticism, just an observation. Conservatives have their own stupid legal stereotypes (sovereign citizens, starting fights then losing then 'standing their ground'), just this sort of case isn't really one of them.

-scheherazade

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2019, 01:54 MattyC

seven dollars

Huh

I haven't been in a BK in a long time anyway, but I certainly won't be changing that now. The last time I went I think whoppers were $4. Shouldn't one sans beef be cheaper? At $7 I will eat at Back Yard, Five Guys, or something when I feel the need to defile myself with fast food.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 21:25 RedEye9

Just watched the last episode of Preacher. 4 seasons of greatness ends appropriately.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 21:14 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:27:
Beats me -- I was interested in watching Discovery, but I wasn't going to pay for CBS All Access for it. The amusing thing to me is how everyone is "cutting the cord" -- dropping cable and satellite tv to use Netflix, Hulu, or whatever. But we are just ending up in the same place. As more and more content becomes exclusive to a specific provider you end up have to pay $10-15 a month to so many providers it ends up costing you as much as cable and satellite did...
I think CBS All Access is $6 per month? I'm going to subscribe soon so I can watch Discovery.

Picard is coming out in february, i would wait until then.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 20:20 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 18:01:
Ho Lee Shit Batman
The only person worth the air he breathed, Shep Smith, just quit faux noise. I wonder what real fake news they were trying to make him spew.
Bummer.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 18:39 Cutter

Blue wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 17:01:
Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:27:
I never knew a group of ducks was called a plump. Heh, that's funny. A plump of ducks.

Actually plump can refer to any group of waterfowl. In the water, ducks are a raft, a team or, or a paddling. In the air, any group of birds can be called a flock. I could swear I saw somewhere that a group of ducks on the ground is called a waddle, but I'm not finding a confirmation of that. If it's not the actual term, it should be.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I'm anxious to show that off. Next time I'm with someone where we see a group of waterfowl I'll be able to remark, 'Well, look at the plump of waterfowl. Aren't they just darling?'

Try it out on Mrs. Blue and see how goes over.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 18:01 RedEye9

Ho Lee Shit Batman

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 17:01  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 16:27:
I never knew a group of ducks was called a plump. Heh, that's funny. A plump of ducks.

Actually plump can refer to any group of waterfowl. In the water, ducks are a raft, a team or, or a paddling. In the air, any group of birds can be called a flock. I could swear I saw somewhere that a group of ducks on the ground is called a waddle, but I'm not finding a confirmation of that. If it's not the actual term, it should be.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 16:34 RedEye9

The 2015 Tesla Model S P90D 'Ludicrous' mode did 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds.

The only problem is finding an extension cord that long.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 16:31 jdreyer

I finally got around to watching The Boys. I thought it was excellent. I guess I need to hunt down the OotB thread where you all discussed it.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 16:29 jdreyer

Science discovers we have an ‘inner salamander’ and can regrow cartilage in our joints.

Good news for us distance runners.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 16:27 jdreyer

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2019, 16:27 Cutter

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >