Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues

Here's more on the blowback being suffered by Blizzard after they banned the Hearthstone tournament winner for using their competition as a platform to voice support for protesters in Hong Kong. Hearthstone commentator Brian Kibler announces that barring changes, he will have no involvement with the Hearthstone Grandmasters Tournament going forward: "That kind of appeasement is simply not something I can in good conscience be associated with. When I learned about the ruling, I reached out to Blizzard and informed them that I no longer feel comfortable casting the Grandmasters finals at BlizzCon. I will not be a smiling face on camera that tacitly endorses this decision. Unless something changes, I will have no involvement in Grandmasters moving forward" (thanks Rock Paper Shotgun). Also, BBC News reports that players attempting to lodge their own protests over all this are being thwarted, as "Users say they get error messages when they try to erase their accounts." Amid charges this is deliberate, Blizzard Customer Support tweets that it's actually a technical issue they are working on fixing:

There's an issue affecting the site which our engineers are currently addressing. I don't have an ETA for the resolution, but it's a priority for us to have this resolved, and I expected it to be before too much longer. Apologies, and thank you for your patience. ^AX

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 11, 2019, 11:14 RedEye9

NPR
Hong Kong Protests Put U.S. Businesses In A Tough Spot With China
Last year Apple sold $52 Billion (1/5 their total revenue) in the China region.

International Politics Barges Into The World Of Video Games

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 11, 2019, 10:55 Brazor

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 06:37:
Brazor wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 22:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 14:31:
Brazor wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 12:56:
Several of these are being denied because people aren't willing to fork over a picture of their ID. They need proof that the person contacting them is the person registered to the account.
They're not stealing identities from it as they already have that info.
It's a deterrent to keep ex's and siblings from getting revenge on each other this way.

Don't know about all of the denials though. Impossible to know who is being honest.

Lmao that would be amazing if true, copying your passport and sending it to a Chinese or Indionese support guy? Yeah, THAT is a great idea. I wouldn't trust support people to that extend... especially since they are outsourced, and 100% violate the GDPR at all times... so in Europe, that would not be a thing I guess.
Outsourced?
All of Blizzard's North America player support is in Irvine CA and Houston TX. With the bulk in the Houston office. A large chunk of the Irvine staff will hit up Disneyland after work on Friday nights. I walked through with some of my friends from there who pointed out a ton of people.

I am European, Texas or Beijing, makes no difference to me.
Of course it doesn't. You're just using this as an opportunity to take shots at Blizz. It doesn't matter to you that the EU offices are in France and Ireland.
The only area that doesn't have an office in the area is S. America. They get handled by the North America offices. They were able to hire enough American residents that spoke all the languages needed for South America.
The only group that has an issue is the French Canadians. Cause their stuck with English language support. Unless they want to open an EU account instead.
Oh and a correction. I wrote Houston for the Texas office but it's actually in Austin.

39. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 11, 2019, 08:05 McTurbo

It is a video game. I could care less about anyone's politics who play it. same for whats going on in the NBA right now. Amazing at the attitudes really. most of you here in the USA (with me!) would be bitching to no end if an illegal alien came here and complained about our laws/rules and took a stance against what we believe.. and you are shocked that the Chinese who are under a completely different type of government are reacting the same way we would? SMFH....  

38. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 11, 2019, 06:37 eRe4s3r

Brazor wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 22:48:
Several of these are being denied because people aren't willing to fork over a picture of their ID. They need proof that the person contacting them is the person registered to the account.
It's a deterrent to keep ex's and siblings from getting revenge on each other this way.

Don't know about all of the denials though. Impossible to know who is being honest.

Lmao that would be amazing if true, copying your passport and sending it to a Chinese or Indionese support guy? Yeah, THAT is a great idea. I wouldn't trust support people to that extend... especially since they are outsourced, and 100% violate the GDPR at all times... so in Europe, that would not be a thing I guess.
Outsourced?
All of Blizzard's North America player support is in Irvine CA and Houston TX. With the bulk in the Houston office. A large chunk of the Irvine staff will hit up Disneyland after work on Friday nights. I walked through with some of my friends from there who pointed out a ton of people.

I am European, Texas or Beijing, makes no difference to me.

37. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 11, 2019, 04:56 Luke

Fecking kindergarten

Just keep politics out of anything but politics...it ain't hard but boy oh boy let's make it hard ...

36. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 22:48 Brazor

Outsourced?

35. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 19:25 ventry

Blizzard were not satisfied with the shitshow that BlizzCon was last year so, it looks like they are trying to "up" the ante this year.

I wonder what mobile game they will announce this year?

34. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 18:38 ExGemini

InTIMidator wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 11:47:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 11:31:
"Users say they get error messages when they try to erase their accounts."

brilliant
Since faux outrage on the Internet only lasts 27 minutes I'd expect this problem to fixed in half an hour.

Are you suggesting that people should not be upset at how a company handles issues of freedom of expression?

I was honestly expecting you to be more concerned about the monopoly storefront that is Battle.net and how Blizzard refuses to make their games available on the EGS...

Stop feeding the troll mate, you know how it is with Him

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2019, 17:27 HorrorScope

Blue wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 15:06:
Veinman wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 12:51:
Can we assume that this site is totally okay with Blizzard's stance, since it is displaying ads for Blizzard products?

The ads here are placed through a third-party ad network, and are completely unrelated to our editorial side.

In fact, since many programmatic ad placements are based on keywords found on the site, ads for Blizzard you are noticing may, ironically, be triggered by all the negative publicity about them we're reporting.

We've seen the enemy and they are us!

32. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 17:13 Nate

Well at least other companies won't make the same mistake.  

31. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 16:49 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 16:29:
Prevent account deletion: positively Orwellian.

The COMPANY §NameRedacted is just making sure you are not making a terrible, terrible mistake... for your own good. <3

30. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 16:32 Cutter

Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 15:41:
deqer wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 13:36:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 13:16:
not-going-to-touch-this-with-a-ten-foot-pole.jpg
So does that mean you're being ignorant of what's going on? Just going to hide in your cave or something?

No. It means I'm not going to post a comment expressing an opinion on the matter. I'm very well aware of it. It's a political thing. I don't get mired in political situations.

Ignorance and obscurantism have never produced anything other than flocks of slaves for tyranny.
- Emiliano Zapata

The refusal to take sides on great moral issues is itself a decision. It is a silent acquiescence to evil. The Tragedy of our time is that those who still believe in honesty lack fire and conviction, while those who believe in dishonesty are full of passionate conviction.
- Fulton J. Sheen

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

29. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 16:29 jdreyer

Prevent account deletion: positively Orwellian.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

28. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 16:17 RedEye9

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 13:25:
Then why continuously post in these threads?
^this
1000x this

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

27. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 15:41 Kxmode

deqer wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 13:36:
So does that mean you're being ignorant of what's going on? Just going to hide in your cave or something?

No. It means I'm not going to post a comment expressing an opinion on the matter. I'm very well aware of it. It's a political thing. I don't get mired in political situations.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

26. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 15:40 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 13:25:

Then why continuously post in these threads?

Because it's in my face now. I was perfectly content to see it elsewhere (Twitter, Google News, whatever). But now it's on Blues News almost daily.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2019, 15:15 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 15:06:
In fact, since many programmatic ad placements are based on keywords found on the site, ads for Blizzard you are noticing may, ironically, be triggered by all the negative publicity about them we're reporting.
Okay, THAT is funny.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2019, 15:06  Blue 

Veinman wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 12:51:
Can we assume that this site is totally okay with Blizzard's stance, since it is displaying ads for Blizzard products?

The ads here are placed through a third-party ad network, and are completely unrelated to our editorial side.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

23. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 14:31 eRe4s3r

22. Re: Blizzard Hong Kong Backlash Continues Oct 10, 2019, 14:16 RedEye9

Apple just removed an app that tracked five O in Hong Kong. Now I can't use my iPhone, iPad, iTunes, iPod, imac, play games or watch basketball.

If only the Corn Syrup lobby would do something to piss off the China.

Protesters need quick energy, Corn Syrup provides it.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo