Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy

The Daily Beast reports that some Blizzard employees staged a walkout today to protest the company's handling of a pro-Hong Kong protest at a recent Hearthstone tournament. Here's word: "The demonstration’s numbers fluctuated throughout the day, the two employees said, ranging from a dozen to 30, and the protesters departed sometime in the late afternoon. The protesters would have been visible to executive offices, which overlook the main plaza, the two employees said. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment." On a related note, Tim Sweeney reiterated on Twitter that "Epic supports the rights of Fortnite players and creators to speak about politics and human rights." He indicates this will remain the case, even if someone drops a dime on them to Tencent, the Chinese firm that owns 40% of Epic Games (not to mention around 5% of Activision Blizzard).

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 10, 2019, 10:57 Brazor

My understanding from the people I know in Blizz is that this was inevitable. Even though they don't want to get involved at all.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 10, 2019, 08:32 WaltC

If some American companies don't care what happens to Americans living inside America, it follows that they also wouldn't care what happens to Chinese living in China, etc. ad infinitum. Money is their God, apparently.  

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

17. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 10, 2019, 07:57 VaranDragon

MrBone wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 06:59:
A contract is a contract. No matter what anyone thinks, Hong Kong is going back under Chinese rule completely by 2047. The people who do not want to live under the oppressive regime need to migrate away. Sad, but true.

The colony faced an uncertain future as the end of the New Territories lease approached, and Governor Murray MacLehose raised the question of Hong Kong's status with Deng Xiaoping in 1979.[71] Diplomatic negotiations with China resulted in the 1984 Sino-British Joint Declaration, in which the United Kingdom agreed to transfer the colony in 1997 and China would guarantee Hong Kong's economic and political systems for 50 years after the transfer.

The day that Chinese troops and police can enforce Chinese laws on Hong-Kong soil is the day any previous agreement with anyone is null and void. If China decides to level Hong Kong to the ground tomorrow, what the fuck can the British or anyone else for that matter do?

The only ones who potentially have the power to do anything about anything are the people who actually live there. External pressure can be brought to bear to some extent on any internal issues but that only goes so far.

16. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 10, 2019, 06:59 MrBone

A contract is a contract. No matter what anyone thinks, Hong Kong is going back under Chinese rule completely by 2047. The people who do not want to live under the oppressive regime need to migrate away. Sad, but true.

The colony faced an uncertain future as the end of the New Territories lease approached, and Governor Murray MacLehose raised the question of Hong Kong's status with Deng Xiaoping in 1979.[71] Diplomatic negotiations with China resulted in the 1984 Sino-British Joint Declaration, in which the United Kingdom agreed to transfer the colony in 1997 and China would guarantee Hong Kong's economic and political systems for 50 years after the transfer.

15. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 10, 2019, 05:25 MoonSpook

Avus wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 04:21:
Let's see how many Blizzard zombie fans are still paying stupid $$$ to go to Blizzcon 2019 and SUPPORT them.

Tbf tickets are non-refundable and sold out months ago, although I guess they could always try a chargeback on the card they bought them with.

14. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 10, 2019, 04:32 Luke

It's very simple:

Political bull mixed with games is a no go

Games are games
And political bulls are for political b....

Pachetic people mixing those 2 things , and even those supporters jezz

13. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 10, 2019, 04:21 Avus

Let's see how many Blizzard zombie fans are still paying stupid $$$ to go to Blizzcon 2019 and SUPPORT them. Gamer are some of the most spineless being.

Gamer complain pre-order items, they keep pre-order games, even in digital version

Gamer complain microtransactions in games, games with shitload of MTX are making shit load of $$$

Gamer complain loot boxes in games, games with loot box are selling in billions of $$$. (Fifa, CoD, ...)

Gamer complain EGS, shit load of gamer buying games from EGS...

Gamer hate Steam, they still use Steam everyday....

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

12. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 10, 2019, 00:10 Mordhaus

EMPLOYEES take a stand and walk out in protest.

TIM SWEENEY: "DON'T FORGET ABOUT US!!!"

11. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 9, 2019, 22:51 Cutter

What those people are doing is important. I for one am sick and tired of corporations who put profits before people. They are very literally killing us. This is them getting off easy. I've got zero problem with much more "extreme" action being taken against the sociopathic and psychopathic executives of the world. Point in fact, it's probably necessary if we're to survive as a species.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

10. Re: Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash Oct 9, 2019, 22:20 Slashman

Overon wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 21:29:
A perfect example of how an authoritarian government in a foreign country can censor in the USA.

Because they have discovered that the one thing that can bring the country to its knees isn't nukes or threats of violence...but very simply money.

Money can cause even the most outspoken Hollywood Studio to alter its movies and can cause the biggest gaming studios to censor troublesome players from making a statement about their country.

9. Re: Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash Oct 9, 2019, 21:29 Overon

A perfect example of how an authoritarian government in a foreign country can censor in the USA.  

8. Re: Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash Oct 9, 2019, 21:00 Darks

Lets see if Blizz wants to extend more good will by firing each and everyone of these employees.

The shit will surly hit the fan if that happens.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash Oct 9, 2019, 20:55 Cram

Kxmode wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 20:52:
Cram wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 20:34:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 20:29:
jerry-seinfeld-getting-up-to-leave .gif

Maybe. But perhaps an internal insurrection could be very much worth witnessing, and perhaps far more powerful than any other action that could be taken to protest what's happening.

It means I don't get involved in political stuff even though this is going to be a thing on Blues News (and the Internet) for the next week or more. :-/

Fair enough.

6. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 9, 2019, 20:53 Acleacius

Protest Cheerleading Lighter  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash Oct 9, 2019, 20:52 Kxmode

Cram wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 20:34:

Maybe. But perhaps an internal insurrection could be very much worth witnessing, and perhaps far more powerful than any other action that could be taken to protest what's happening.

It means I don't get involved in political stuff even though this is going to be a thing on Blues News (and the Internet) for the next week or more. :-/

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

4. Re: Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash Oct 9, 2019, 20:34 Cram

3. Re: Activision Blizzard Faces Hong Kong Backlash Oct 9, 2019, 20:29 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

2. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 9, 2019, 20:22 Cram

I think it would be nonsense to assume everyone that works for Blizzard in some capacity agrees with the actions taken, and message the company has sent.

They're putting their jobs on the line taking any form of action; no matter how mute or impactful said action might be.

1. Re: Some Blizzard Employees Walkout Over Hong Kong Controversy Oct 9, 2019, 20:18 RedEye9

Blizzard employees stage extended smoke break. That's what i call solidarity.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo