Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2

The Rockstar Games Website now has the PC system requirements mentioned this morning for the Windows edition of Red Dead Redemption 2. They also offer some screenshots of the western shooter running on PC, details on some new items this edition will include, as well as the following on PC-specific features the port will support:

Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC takes full advantage of the power of the PC to bring every corner of this massive, rich and detailed world to life from the windswept snowy peaks of the Grizzly Mountains to the dusty roads of Lemoyne; from the mud-spattered storefronts of Valentine to the cobbled streets of St Denis. New graphical and technical enhancements for deeper immersion include increased draw distances for better navigation; higher quality global illumination and ambient occlusion for improved day and night lighting; higher quality snow trails, improved reflections and deeper, higher resolution shadows at all distances; tessellated tree textures and improved grass and fur textures for added realism in every plant and animal.

Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC also offers HDR support, the ability to run high-end display setups with 4K resolution and beyond, multi-monitor configurations, widescreen configurations, faster frame rates and more.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 10, 2019, 10:29 Acleacius

Thanks again Rilcon, I'll defiantly try it. I'll just be a little less enthusiastic, in hoping it's a open world western RPG.
Hopefully it's good enough to enjoy without feeling like we are forced to play a villain.

Personally I've got nothing against anyone wanting to play as a villain but just don't think we should be forced.
Especially when it's possible to spend 100s of hours in a game. We should have more control of who or what the character is morally and even their gender.

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 10, 2019, 09:01 theglaze

There goes the 2020 vacation budget... going to need an RTX this fall  

12. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 23:25 Rilcon

Acleacius wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:08:
Thanks Rilcon and OpticNerve, too bad about being locked in character wise. Also it sounds like we are being forced to play a villain which is why I never play GTA games.
Oh well, was looking forward to playing an open world western, hopefully some good will come of it.

The story tries to redeem the protagonist (there are some dialogue options every so often, so the flavor can vary), but overall it plays into the R* trope of "everyone's an asshole to justify crimes".

I enjoyed it and it a good game/"experience" IMO, but it's not the deep simulation the PR tried to play it off as; you'll have 20 nameless mooks thrown at you to gun down within the first 15 minutes, and a whole lot of missions end up as "go to A, do thing, get on horse/wagon and race to B, shoot down multiple waves of attackers on route" with just the VO and routes changing.

The hunting and fishing stuff I practically ignored, though apparently some people really enjoy that (relatively calm, some planning, resource gathering, stat/achievement increases, etc.). And the game is certainly visually stunning and an overall technical marvel.

Overall, I think it's something most people should play unless they strongly dislike westerns or open world games, but maybe not pay $60 without doing some research into first, past the hype.

11. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 23:25 Acleacius

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:27:
Thanks Rilcon and OpticNerve, too bad about being locked in character wise. Also it sounds like we are being forced to play a villain which is why I never play GTA games.
Oh well, was looking forward to playing an open world western, hopefully some good will come of it.
West of Loathing
Haha, yeah those stick figure chicks are hot!

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 22:54 Creston

HDR might genuinely be amazing in this game. I'm tempted to get an HDR monitor...  

9. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 22:27 Pr()ZaC

West of Loathing

8. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 22:08 Acleacius

7. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 21:51 Cram

Pepe wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 21:36:
Cram wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 20:12:
HDR Support

Are there any actual 1440p/4k 144hz+ gaming monitors out there that do HDR properly? From my limited research, HDR 400 and 600 certification is bogus. Several articles/sources appear to say HDR1000 is the true minimum for HDR. They don't seem to really exist out in the wild. At least not readily available, or also not some 60inch monstrosity with many other problems of its own.

There are a couple decent ones, but due to some technical limitations they have some issues that may or may not be a reason to avoid them.

Mostly to do with not enough bandwith for using it in all it's glory; you would need to run it at lower refresh rates (ie 98 or 120) or drop chroma subsampeling to 4.2.2 (for the 4K ones that is)

They are also pretty pricy (around 1500$ atm down from 2.2k-2.3K at launch).

Afaik there are no 1440p 144hz HDR monitors currently

Thank you for the post Pepe

6. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 21:38 OpticNerve

Acleacius wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 21:02:
How was the GUI in GTA5, was just guessing if they can get it right in one PC game, maybe this one too?

GTA5's UI was pretty awful. Technically it had a lot of options to toggle and adjust (which is always good for a console port) but the UI is sloppy and the menu options layout and keybinds make no sense.

Eventually you get used to it after playing for a while but every single time I hop back into GTA5 Online to play with my friends (after a long break from it), I struggle to remember how the hell to start up a private friends-only online session.

5. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 21:36 Pepe

Cram wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 20:12:
HDR Support

Are there any actual 1440p/4k 144hz+ gaming monitors out there that do HDR properly? From my limited research, HDR 400 and 600 certification is bogus. Several articles/sources appear to say HDR1000 is the true minimum for HDR. They don't seem to really exist out in the wild. At least not readily available, or also not some 60inch monstrosity with many other problems of its own.

There are a couple decent ones, but due to some technical limitations they have some issues that may or may not be a reason to avoid them.

Mostly to do with not enough bandwith for using it in all it's glory; you would need to run it at lower refresh rates (ie 98 or 120) or drop chroma subsampeling to 4.2.2 (for the 4K ones that is)

They are also pretty pricy (around 1500$ atm down from 2.2k-2.3K at launch).

Afaik there are no 1440p 144hz HDR monitors currently

4. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 21:35 Rilcon

Acleacius wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 21:02:
Hell has frozen over, I voluntarily went to a rockstar website. Faint

Anyone who has played RDR2, are we forced to play as a male? That would suck but I realize this is a rockstar game so by definition it's gonna suck to some degree.
Quicksaves? How was the GUI in GTA5, was just guessing if they can get it right in one PC game, maybe this one too?

For the main story, yes, male; it's fairly character centric, there's not much personality you can give beyond "complete bastard" and "complete bastard that sometimes feels bad about it". For the online, which includes most (and more, I think) of the sandboxy stuff, you have character customization, but there's also no actual story or personality.

You can save whenever you wanted. I can't really remember the PC GTAV UI, which I guess means it wasn't too egregious... I can't imagine them messing up the basics, but their whole "social" and context sensitive stuff should be "interesting" to see.

3. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 21:02 Acleacius

Hell has frozen over, I voluntarily went to a rockstar website. Faint

Anyone who has played RDR2, are we forced to play as a male? That would suck but I realize this is a rockstar game so by definition it's gonna suck to some degree.
Quicksaves? How was the GUI in GTA5, was just guessing if they can get it right in one PC game, maybe this one too?

2. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 20:12 Cram

HDR Support

1. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 19:59 Pr()ZaC

What?!
The PC version is better than the consoles counterpart?
You must me kidding me!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo