Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

"Welcome to Blue's News." That was the greeting posted here on this date in 1996, marking the move to our own domain. At 23 years old, this means the site qualifies (just barely) as a millennial! We certainly look our age. Appearing to be 23 is a compliment for most people, but the internet operates on something akin to dog years, a formula which would make the site 161. We're actually not that concerned with a few crow's feet, but it's important to be physically fit as you age, and it's fair to say the site isn't as limber as some that are younger. This strained analogy leads to this post on our forums by Frans, who invites discussion of this video which shows off a proof-of-concept for a responsive design for the site to make it far more usable on mobile devices. This was proposed by our own Kxmode, who volunteered to work towards making this a reality, despite (and thanks to) the fact that he does such work professionally. He and Frans have been toiling away on this for a while now, so there's more to it than just a video, though there's still more to be done before this is rolled out. We're very excited about this, and hope to bring it to you soon. But how long such projects take seems to work on an inverse of that dog years comment, so I won't try to put a date on it. As Frans notes, a discussion of this is welcome, so feel free to comment on this story here, but it will probably be more helpful to add any feedback about specifics of the plan to Frans' post. We may be asking a couple of the regulars here to check out the beta version of the responsive design, so you can also feel free to volunteer for that. As I say, such testing will be very limited, so please don't be upset if you are not part of this eventual "closed beta" when the time comes. I cannot thank Frans and Kxmode enough for all the effort they are putting into this. And I cannot thank all of you enough for all the support over all these years. Happy birthday to us!

Birthday Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Oh Flip.
Links: Chinese Officials Respond To NBA Controversy By Moving Millions Of Citizens To NHL Re-Fanification Camps.
Science: After Five Years Of Trials, Doctors Create Human Liver From Scratch. Next up? Fava beans. Thanks Max.
Nobel Prize in Chemistry awarded for work on lithium ion batteries that 'revolutionized our lives'
Scientist's movie shows how fast 'Star Trek' Enterprise really travels. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Media: Rotifers: Charmingly Bizarre and Often Ignored.
Cat Does Moonwalk.
Google Maps Flying Rabbit.
Follow-up: Scientist Who Discredited Meat Guidelines Didnít Report Past Food Industry Ties. The other steak drops. Thanks j.c.f.
View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. BN 4ever! Oct 13, 2019, 21:58 Ant

Keep the old fast old school design please though. I still check BN with a text web browser once in a while like Lynx.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Responsive Design Oct 11, 2019, 04:53  Frans 

unaloony wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 17:03:
Love the responsive design. Looks like bootstrap4 or some other professional responsive design implementation and doesn't seem like it will impact pc display format.
Correct, it's using Bootstrap 4.

GothicWizard wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 18:10:
Frans wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 03:38:
And because of a number of other factors Blue and I considered, and then decided to stick with Blammo, before I went ahead and implemented a whole bunch of improvements a decade ago.
And yes, we reviewed that decision last Winter, and it came out to the same result again.
I have used DNN for years, it has a mobile option built in which most skins support. But hey, reinvent the wheel out of old school mentality or stubbornness. Not my time that is being wasted. My site renders mobile clients just fine
This is a Linux server and I'm a Linux admin, which disqualifies DNN for this site.

But that's not important. If you think this is stubbornness then you missed the essence above, now highlighted for your convenience, and have little idea about the features Blammo has under the hood that this site needs, and the custom admin back-end that supports it all.

There would indeed be advantages to migrating to a modern system but the downsides outweigh them. Rebuilding all of the functionality of the site in any web framework or CMS would take significantly more effort than the current Bootstrap conversion of its skin.

So that decision has been made (twice) and it's the path we're on.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2019, 16:57.

-- Frans

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2019, 18:10 GothicWizard

Frans wrote on Oct 10, 2019, 03:38:
GothicWizard wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:03:
why not just migrate over to something like DNN or XOPPS or another CMS that has all that functionality built in (and more)?
Because they don't.

And because of a number of other factors Blue and I considered, and then decided to stick with Blammo, before I went ahead and implemented a whole bunch of improvements a decade ago.
And yes, we reviewed that decision last Winter, and it came out to the same result again.

I have used DNN for years, it has a mobile option built in which most skins support. But hey, reinvent the wheel out of old school mentality or stubbornness. Not my time that is being wasted. My site renders mobile clients just fine

26. Re: Responsive Design Oct 10, 2019, 17:03 unaloony

Love the responsive design. Looks like bootstrap4 or some other professional responsive design implementation and doesn't seem like it will impact pc display format.

Site's been good to me on my end with:
-- Chrome OS & Firefox & Chrome
-- FreeBSD 12 & Firefox & Chrome
-- Windows 7 & Firefox & Chrome and earlier (Netscape)

Started visiting the site around the time it started and haven't played an electronic game in over five years, but, still a regular reader for the news.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2019, 03:38  Frans 

GothicWizard wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:03:
why not just migrate over to something like DNN or XOPPS or another CMS that has all that functionality built in (and more)?
Because they don't.

-- Frans

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2019, 02:59 bigspender

Scientist Who Discredited Meat Guidelines Didnít Report Past Food Industry Ties.

Also the pro-meat report actually still agrees that meat is bad for you, however they simply make the recommendation that people enjoy meat so much, that it's worth eating despite the fact it causes cancer lol....

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 22:03 GothicWizard

Rather then reinvent the wheel (which granted you seem to love to do with this site) why not just migrate over to something like DNN or XOPPS or another CMS that has all that functionality built in (and more)?  

22. Re: Out of the Blue! Oct 9, 2019, 18:10 Hoop

Wonderful achievement!
Thank you Blue.

Um .. Behind you...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 17:34 Cutter

Carcifier wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 13:04:
Happy Birthday Blue! err...Blues News!

Can't remember not coming to Blues News. I do remember when I used to visit Blues, Red's (Stomping grounds?) and then later Voodoo Extreme for all things Quake related. No other site from that era still exists in it's original form. RIP Billy.

Always good to see another of the old VE crowd. Yeah, it's a shame Billy passed so young. He was entertaining as hell I'll give him that. Always loved his jokes about his brother, Sweet Dick Willy.

This dedication is for all you folk that used to come here when you were just teenage dirtbags....

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - Teenage Dirtbag

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 16:51 jdreyer

I assumed a rotifer was the unholy breeding of a rottweiler and a Jack Russell terrier.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 15:47 Dapperdanman

First of all, Happy Anniversary Blue! I may no longer fit into my old "All the Carnage that's Fit to Post" shirt, but you have been a mainstay to my news for decades. Congratulations and thank you for all that you do to bring us this news.
Second, that video of the responsive redesign is great! I love to see this site get an update. I do front-end work for a day job and know that this can be quite a laborious conversion. Kudos to both kxmode and Frans for all of the dedication and support.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 14:34 Rigs

Congrats to Blue and BN! Thank you to Frans and Kxmode for working on getting BN kicked into shape for the next quarter century!

Though I do have one nitpick with the new design...I don't see my gradients anywhere!

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 14:34 Rectal Prolapse

I've been visiting Blue's News just about every day since...1996. Damn, that's a long time.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 14:33 RedEye9

Johnson & Johnson to pay $8B to man who grew breasts after taking drug

3.8b for the lefty and 4.2b for the righty, difference due to size.

ďIf the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.Ē

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 13:56 Drej

fawker wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 13:25:
Been here since I my first hardware accelerated video card for quake 2 and still am. Salute Blue!

Haha I remember the Diamond Monster 3d was my first card (moved on to Riva TNT, and can't remember after that). Wanted it to play Jedi Knight 2 and Quake 2. Just was looking at blues news through the wayback machine. All the news in the late 90's was about Unreal, Quake 2, and Half-Life. Also lots of news about new demos, drivers for specific video cards, a whole section devoted to screenshots, and more mods than you could shake a stick at. I hate that I'm old enough to remember the good ole' days.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 13:25 fawker

Been here since I my first hardware accelerated video card for quake 2 and still am. Salute Blue!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 13:17 Pigeon

So if I start heavily drinking now, by the time the hepatitis starts to set in I can have a new liver made. Sweet! Now where's that bottle of southern comfort.

Thanks to Frans and KXmode for their hard work dragging this site into modern times. Though to be honest I like this site's simplistic design, I feel modern sites could stand to take a more minimalist approach. Still something more touch/mobile friendly would be welcome. Just don't implement that feature where the screen shifts just as you're about to select a link and you end up clicking an ad instead.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 13:07 El Pit

Happy anniversary, Blue's News! Wow, you have GROWN!  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 13:04 Carcifier

Happy Birthday Blue! err...Blues News!

Can't remember not coming to Blues News. I do remember when I used to visit Blues, Red's (Stomping grounds?) and then later Voodoo Extreme for all things Quake related. No other site from that era still exists in it's original form. RIP Billy.

Two more years until your first drivers insurance reduction!

If I may add some feedback. I've been relying on your Twitter account for a little while now. Instead of visiting daily, I click on the tweets that interest me. It's a convenience thing. Not sure I would visit otherwise, to be honest. Not enough time in the day to have "daily sites" that are must visits. I really only have one these days and that's the Associated Press news site.

I really like that you made the tweets more descriptive recently. However, they might be too descriptive. Sometimes they look like really long paragraphs that aren't easy to glance at.

An example would be...

Old tweet : "John Romero wants to make you his bitch!"

Current tweet : "John Romero wants to make you his bitch! He's announced a new game he's working on called Frogatana! In it, you will battle frogs, many frogs! There will be bugs, many bugs! Don't worry you can use 50 different weapons that provide 8 distinct weapon styles and 42 copies of those styles with new skins! But wait, there's more...you'll have a side kick! And he'll be as useful as Tattoo!"

That was an 80's reference, btw, for you millennials. Fantasy Island! *sigh*

Improved tweet : "John Romero wants to make you his bitch! Romero announced a new game today which will attempt to set new records at killing frogs. <Read More>"

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2019, 12:46 Mr. Tact

Happy B-day Blue's News.

Web rings... wow, I had forgotten about those...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >