Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Valve Burgled

A story on the KIRO-TV Website has details on a break-in at the offices of Valve Software that resulted in the theft of over $40,000 worth of games and equipment (thanks GamesIndustry.biz). The suspect in this case is no stranger to ballsy crimes, as they say it's the same man who led police on a high-speed chase from Bellevue to Seattle in a stolen Fed Ex truck last year. Word is he's allegedly seen on surveillance footage selling the goods, but is for some reason still at large despite being charged with this last month and having six additional warrants out for him:
The same man who police say stole a FedEx truck and led them on a high speed chase from Bellevue to Seattle is in trouble again.

This time detectives say 32-year-old Shawn Shaputis broke into Valve, a game developer, in Lincoln Square's south tower and stole more than $40,000 worth of equipment and games.

Charges for the burglaries were filed last month. At that time there were six warrants for his arrest.

Shaputis was first arrested for the burglary spree on June 29, 2018, one week before he stole the FedEx truck, but he keeps getting out of jail.

Now he's wanted again and police gave us the video they say shows of Shaputis selling the stolen games at Game Stop in Crossroads.

Shaputis is scheduled to be arraigned on Wednesday, if he fails to appear, another warrant will be issued.
View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 20:36 RedEye9

wtf_man wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 18:09:
Maybe he'll leak the Half-Life 3 source code!

/snicker
He stole the GOTY Boxed editions of Half Life 3, that's the one you want because it includes HL2Ep3.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 20:32 Kxmode

wtf_man wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 18:09:

/snicker

Half-Life 3 is a myth.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

37. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 18:09 wtf_man

/snicker

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

36. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 16:48 Creston

Ravenus wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 07:37:
Valve has physical game copies? I thought all their employees would be mandated to only use Steam.

All Valve's employees use EGS, it's the only place you can get games anymore.

35. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 16:16 Creston

Wait, a "high speed" chase from Bellevue to Seattle in a FEDEX truck, and somehow this clown is still out free? How the fuck does that happen? It's a FEDEX TRUCK. I'd have no problem keeping up with or overtaking that piece of shit in my wife's 1.3l Fiesta.

What, did it turn 5 o clock and the cops just gave up?

Sepharo wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 23:01:
Fuck that article is terribly written and has probably everyone getting the timeline wrong.

This guy broke into Valve's offices 4 times... before he stole the FedEx truck.

Ah, that would explain it.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2019, 16:46.

34. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 08:51 RedEye9

Retired wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 08:46:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 23:36:
Lmao, Tweaktown reported "why didn't he steal Half-Life 3 while he was there!" Ahoy

I'm pretty sure it's the FBI who monitors and reports crime statistics here in the US.
Often politicos misrepresent crime by including nonviolent crimes with violent and gun crimes depending on their agenda.

Actually the FBI COMPILES the data. Individual cities, counties, and states have to provide the data. There is ample evidence cities are flubbing the numbers as there are no checks and balances in place to verify the data. Robberies (violent crime) are being changed to thefts (non violent) so cities can say "Violent crime is down 5%". If a credit card fraud is a report only, it is changed to a non crime as the bank is the victim - even though there are multiple crimes involved. The theft of the wallet, etc, the identity theft, the credit card fraud, and any other financial pains along the way. If the person comes to us and says "I just need a case number for the bank" it gets recorded to a non crime.

Rapes are the only thing that you really can't hide, which is why they are the only crime that is "up" technically.

It is sad. Crime is up. Period. But agencies aren't reporting it.
source

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

33. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 08:49 Retired

I have taken several classes on corrections, legal studies, etc. I won't get into it, but the push is to keep people out of jail even though they aren't spending more on probation, programs, housing, etc. So they are let out to re offend fairly quickly. I am sure that is where this person is.....it is sad. Creating 4-10 more victims when it is those victims that would not be - had the person been incarcerated per guidelines. Judges are deviating because they are getting pressure to empty the jails.

Even violent offenses. I have seen murder get less than 3 years. With a gun.

I fully understand the determent of incarceration - but there are people that just need to be locked up. Not everyone, but some.

32. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 08:46 Retired

Acleacius wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 23:36:
Lmao, Tweaktown reported "why didn't he steal Half-Life 3 while he was there!" Ahoy

I'm pretty sure it's the FBI who monitors and reports crime statistics here in the US.
Often politicos misrepresent crime by including nonviolent crimes with violent and gun crimes depending on their agenda.

Actually the FBI COMPILES the data. Individual cities, counties, and states have to provide the data. There is ample evidence cities are flubbing the numbers as there are no checks and balances in place to verify the data. Robberies (violent crime) are being changed to thefts (non violent) so cities can say "Violent crime is down 5%". If a credit card fraud is a report only, it is changed to a non crime as the bank is the victim - even though there are multiple crimes involved. The theft of the wallet, etc, the identity theft, the credit card fraud, and any other financial pains along the way. If the person comes to us and says "I just need a case number for the bank" it gets recorded to a non crime.

Rapes are the only thing that you really can't hide, which is why they are the only crime that is "up" technically.

It is sad. Crime is up. Period. But agencies aren't reporting it.

31. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 08:33 RedEye9

Ravenus wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 07:37:
Valve has physical game copies? I thought all their employees would be mandated to only use Steam.
Employees of Valve Corp LLC are allowed 1 boxed game per annum. These games are free of any on-line drm or the requirement to install under Steam. Game patches are included on CD's that come with their subscription to PC Gamer magazine.

30. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 07:37 Ravenus

29. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 06:17 Jonjonz

Wow, did not take long for this thread to devolve into rascist jingo fatherland BS.

How well they have divided us.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

28. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 05:44 Mordhaus

If there is a town named Lake-Town nearby, they better put on their dragon alert.  

27. removed Oct 9, 2019, 05:38 Muscular Beaver

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 9, 2019, 07:50.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

26. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 03:43 jdreyer

Hoop wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 01:17:
Valve stole my hope hoop.

Fixed.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

25. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 03:42 jdreyer

When I read "Valve Burgled" I assumed it was the Chinese trying to get the HL3 source code.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 03:41 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 23:21:
WaltC wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 19:41:
Washington is almost as bad--lawbreaking seems to be a virtue on the west coast...;) Seems the felons out there know that jail is merely a revolving door these days.

Hogwash, the violent crime rate in Bellevue is 3 times lower than NY.

However, Seattle has among the highest property crime rates in the USA. This was a property crime.

23. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 03:35 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 21:09:
He's also been arrested for indecent exposure and some other shit. He's practically Florida Man unto himself, except in the opposite corner of the country.

I imagine his luck is running out though, given that it'll be hard to get this one down below a felony.

WaltC wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 19:41:
Washington is almost as bad--lawbreaking seems to be a virtue on the west coast...;) Seems the felons out there know that jail is merely a revolving door these days.

Source? This conflicts with the crime statistics I've seen.

Regarding property crime, he's not wrong. Washington state is the 6th and Oregon is 8th. However, they're among the top third of safest states with much lower violent crime levels.

Also, California property crime comes in about average for the USA. I found that surprising, given their major metro areas.

22. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 02:06 opie

this is how WA and King county works. just the other day they were looking for a 22 time convicted felon. and another judge let a rapist go after 90 days served as long as "he promised to return to his home country". he did, AFTER assaulting the same woman he raped... while she was in a wheelchair. west WA has gone to shit. watch it when the next economic crisis happens. it will be bad.  

21. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 02:01 KS

What do they mean he stole games? He copied all Valve's products? He stole their Connect 4 and Electronic Battleship from the break room?

Is the former even an actual loss?

20. Re: Valve Burgled Oct 9, 2019, 01:43 Drayth

| that
V

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >