Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Evening Tech Bits

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 19:00 chickenboo

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 15:23:
Nullity wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:39:
D-Rock wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:19:
The current generation is a generation that is addicted to convenience.
Oh cool, I must belong to the current generation, because I guarantee you I am addicted to convenience. I have been for, oh I don't know, about five decades? The whole the 'next generation' is bad or going to ruin everything is about as old as language. Things change, always have, always will.
Yep, and anyone trying to fight it is simply baffling to me. I find it wholly incomprehensible.

Right?

While I built my current PC, I find myself spending next to no time doing any kind of debugging, error testing, or fixing it. I don't really have the time, nor the interest. The thing just works. This is a huge improvement, and shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. By not having to spend time getting viruses off my computer, or understanding which drivers are conflicting, or why some new piece of hardware isn't being recognized, I have time to do something more constructive.

Agreed. I don't even bother fiddling with overclocks anymore. Stock clocks are fine, OC brings <5% gain, why bother? On the one hand I kinda miss it but I much prefer the convenience of my system just working fine and chugging along, than constantly fiddling/monitoring temps/running benchmarks to quantify performance. Who remembers the bad old days of solving IRQ conflicts and enabling mscdex prior to playing your game? Allocating memory? Yuck!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 15:23 Beamer

Nullity wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:44:
Oh cool, I must belong to the current generation, because I guarantee you I am addicted to convenience. I have been for, oh I don't know, about five decades? The whole the 'next generation' is bad or going to ruin everything is about as old as language. Things change, always have, always will.
Yep, and anyone trying to fight it is simply baffling to me. I find it wholly incomprehensible.

Right?

While I built my current PC, I find myself spending next to no time doing any kind of debugging, error testing, or fixing it. I don't really have the time, nor the interest. The thing just works. This is a huge improvement, and shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. By not having to spend time getting viruses off my computer, or understanding which drivers are conflicting, or why some new piece of hardware isn't being recognized, I have time to do something more constructive.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 14:44 Nullity

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 14:39 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 14:27 RedEye9

Nullity wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:22:
The tools have evolved to a point where laziness is encouraged and rewarded. The current generation is a generation that is addicted to convenience.
Wow, what an abjectly ridiculous statement, and you're not the only one I've seen/heard repeat similar nonsense.

So because it used to take you more effort/time to accomplish a thing, that younger people are now inherently lazy because said thing is easier and/or less time consuming. And "addicted to convenience" in this context implies that anyone simply taking advantage of progress is somehow not willing to put in the work when necessary, which is a crazy train of fallacious broken logic.

On the contrary, rejecting convenience and stubbornly doing things the old/hard way is pure stupidity. There's nothing wrong with being efficient and making a task as quick and easy as possible. It doesn't make one lazy, but rather gives one more time to devote to other pursuits that may be more enjoyable or have more importance.

You sound like just another old man yelling at the clouds. Your ideas and mindset are a detriment to all of human progress.
The human race was doomed the minute we started washing clothes with a washboard, bucket and ringer instead of in the river. We're so effing doomed. Wink

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 14:22 Nullity

The tools have evolved to a point where laziness is encouraged and rewarded. The current generation is a generation that is addicted to convenience.
Wow, what an abjectly ridiculous statement, and you're not the only one I've seen/heard repeat similar nonsense.

So because it used to take you more effort/time to accomplish a thing, that younger people are now inherently lazy because said thing is easier and/or less time consuming. And "addicted to convenience" in this context implies that anyone simply taking advantage of progress is somehow not willing to put in the work when necessary, which is a crazy train of fallacious broken logic.

On the contrary, rejecting convenience and stubbornly doing things the old/hard way is pure stupidity. There's nothing wrong with being efficient and making a task as quick and easy as possible. It doesn't make one lazy, but rather gives one more time to devote to other pursuits that may be more enjoyable or have more importance.

You sound like just another old man yelling at the clouds. Your ideas and mindset are a detriment to all of human progress.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 11:19 D-Rock

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:05:
D-Rock wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:01:
Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 08:41:

Funny's not sad. It's just always entertaining to see people aging and complaining that the generation behind them is lesser, when the reality is the person complaining doesn't understand them and the younger generation is adapting better to the current world. It speeds how quickly those aging individuals become irrelevant.

While I don't disagree with you, I think you're missing the point. BTW your response reeks of 'better than them' -- like most of your posts on Blue's News (and anywhere else I assume).

Jonjonz's call out definitely is worthy of pause and contemplation and anyone with half a brain will not write it off as 'better than <insert name of demographic>'. The 'glued to their phone generation' is not a healthy generation. Obesity is up, mental health is more of a problem than ever, dependence on chemical solutions is ridiculous, and the motivation to better one's self is a joke. Google it. People often claim that the human race is doomed due to climate change, but no one stops to think about how they can improve society in better, more attainable ways by improving themselves. The concept that the meek will inherit the earth is BS. The 1% are the only ones that will survive. The next generation is f*cked.

Yes, and we were the glued to the computer generation. People building computers were basement dwellers.

Your other points have nothing to do with whether this generation is less motivated or curious than ours. Simply put, they're not playing around with computers because they don't need to. We did. They don't. They're still doing things we never did, but their motivation is different, and their curiosity is elsewhere, because what's inside a computer isn't new anymore. There are literally no new developments.

The basement dwellers were more socially relevant and generally healthier -- because we engaged in recreation beyond our devices. The concept of never leaving the house and sitting in front of the computer is a farce. It's a stereotype that consisted of a very small percentage of the desktop demographic. The tools have evolved to a point where laziness is encouraged and rewarded. The current generation is a generation that is addicted to convenience.

The fact that you call out that there are no new developments proves my point.

I don't understand why you even post here any more. You live in your own little bubble. Read your post history and pause to truly think about it. If you take the time to reflect on it I think you'll understand that most people here don't 'get' you. And no, it's not because you are capable of higher thought than the rest...

EDIT: Used a word that I didn't understand the meaning of and replaced it with something that makes more sense (after looking the word up).

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 11:05 Beamer

D-Rock wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:01:

Funny's not sad. It's just always entertaining to see people aging and complaining that the generation behind them is lesser, when the reality is the person complaining doesn't understand them and the younger generation is adapting better to the current world. It speeds how quickly those aging individuals become irrelevant.

While I don't disagree with you, I think you're missing the point. BTW your response reeks of 'better than them' -- like most of your posts on Blue's News (and anywhere else I assume).

Jonjonz's call out definitely is worthy of pause and contemplation and anyone with half a brain will not write it off as 'better than <insert name of demographic>'. The 'glued to their phone generation' is not a healthy generation. Obesity is up, mental health is more of a problem than ever, dependence on chemical solutions is ridiculous, and the motivation to better one's self is a joke. Google it. People often claim that the human race is doomed due to climate change, but no one stops to think about how they can improve society in better, more attainable ways by improving themselves. The concept that the meek will inherit the earth is BS. The 1% are the only ones that will survive. The next generation is f*cked.

Yes, and we were the glued to the computer generation. People building computers were basement dwellers.

Your other points have nothing to do with whether this generation is less motivated or curious than ours. Simply put, they're not playing around with computers because they don't need to. We did. They don't. They're still doing things we never did, but their motivation is different, and their curiosity is elsewhere, because what's inside a computer isn't new anymore. There are literally no new developments.

-------------

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 11:01 D-Rock

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 08:41 Beamer

MrBone wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 07:58:
Why so sad?

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 07:31:
Jonjonz wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 06:39:
Following in the footsteps of Blockbuster, GameStop, and RadioShack.

Times change, people don't buy stero HI-Fi systems anymore, they listen to music on crappy ear buds plugged into their phones. Fewer and fewer young people have the motivation or curiosity to open up and tinker with anything, if they can't get it on thier phone, they don't bother, hence the market for PC components is shrinking. Games are sold/rented online. Even BestBuy is a joke now compared to what they used to be, they give about the same amount of floor space to packaged impulse snacks as they do PC stuff.

You pitch it as "motivation or curiosity," as if you're better than them. It's funny.

-------------

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 07:58 MrBone

Why so sad?

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 07:31:

Times change, people don't buy stero HI-Fi systems anymore, they listen to music on crappy ear buds plugged into their phones. Fewer and fewer young people have the motivation or curiosity to open up and tinker with anything, if they can't get it on thier phone, they don't bother, hence the market for PC components is shrinking. Games are sold/rented online. Even BestBuy is a joke now compared to what they used to be, they give about the same amount of floor space to packaged impulse snacks as they do PC stuff.

You pitch it as "motivation or curiosity," as if you're better than them. It's funny.

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 07:31 Beamer

-------------

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 07:02 [VG]Reagle

Jeff Bezos twerked to this article.  

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 06:39 Jonjonz

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 8, 2019, 19:31 Ozmodan

Must be badly managed because Microcenter is doing great and they have similar stores.  

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 8, 2019, 19:20 RedEye9

As long as GameStop.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo