Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests

BBC News has word that Blizzard has banned Ng ‘blitzchung’ Wai Chung for one year and stripped the winner of the Hearthstone Grandmasters of his prize purse. This was after he voiced support for the protests in Hong Kong following the tournament. According to Blizzard he was in violation of one of their published rules: "Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms." Perhaps now Blizzard must punish themselves under the same rule, as the hashtag #boycottblizzard is currently trending, as tweets attacking them for their stance fly back and forth. According to the BBC, Blizzard has also stated they will stop working with the pair of broadcasters who conducted the post-match interview.
View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

74. No subject Oct 12, 2019, 16:08 007Bistromath

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:20:
Can we wait at least until Blizzard has finished the Diablo 2 Remaster?
Why? There's a good chance at this point that it won't be published in English.

All of Blizzard's behavior surrounding this incident (yes, I am including the reduction of penalties) suggests that they're ready to actually abandon the Western market entirely. I'm pretty sure they're going to announce their new HQ in China at BlizzCon. All the Blizzard employees who protested will very shortly thereafter be laid off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 10, 2019, 01:06 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:24:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:01:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 04:43:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 19:36:
Avus wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 18:36:
40% of EGS is owned by Tencent which controlled by China gov

Ucrazy

All Chinese companies are controlled by the government. It's not like the US, where Apple refuse to comply with government requests and take them to court. In China, if you don't comply, you go to jail.

Referring to the leap between "40% of EGS is owned by Tencent" to Epic being owned by the Chinese government. That's just conspiracy level nonsense.
Epic isn't a Chinese company. Tencent is. And if the Chinese government tells them to do something, you can be sure they will comply, no questions asked.

Yes. I'm not arguing about that. What I'm saying is that it is a massive leap for Avus to imply that the kind of authority China extends to Tencent also, by extension, extends to Epic. Epic has already made it clear their data is their data, and they don't share it with Tencent. Percentage-wise, Tencent only owns 40% of the company, so it's not like they have the power to force Epic to give them the user data in the first place. Avus' comment would have been better stated as "Tencent is controlled by the Chinese government." In other words, make no innuendos of EGS or Epic.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

72. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 22:24 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:01:

Ucrazy

All Chinese companies are controlled by the government. It's not like the US, where Apple refuse to comply with government requests and take them to court. In China, if you don't comply, you go to jail.

Referring to the leap between "40% of EGS is owned by Tencent" to Epic being owned by the Chinese government. That's just conspiracy level nonsense.
Epic isn't a Chinese company. Tencent is. And if the Chinese government tells them to do something, you can be sure they will comply, no questions asked.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

71. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 22:20 jdreyer

007Bistromath wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 16:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 13:47:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 13:37:
Nimh wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 12:18:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:48:

It is absolutely appalling that an American business would allow the Chinese government impose it's will upon non Chinese citizens.

NBA fans with Free Hong Kong signs ejected from preseason game in Philadelphia. https://6abc.com/sports/sixers-fan-supporting-hong-kong-ejected-from-preseason-game/5604293/

China flex is real.

Equally appalling IMO. I say we deport Blizzard/Activision and the NBA to China
Be careful what you wish for, the Chinese market is bigger.
You keep acting like there's a reason to give a shit about Blizzard's modern creative output.

Deport them. Nothing of value will be lost.
Can we wait at least until Blizzard has finished the Diablo 2 Remaster?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

70. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 22:16 jdreyer

Nimh wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 06:58:
Received confirmation of account deletion this morning. A drop in the ocean but whatever.
"A butterfly flaps its wings in China..."

69. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 22:03 Kxmode

Avus wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:54:

Ucrazy

Finally someone in this forum really know how Chinese businesses operate in China. The bigger a Chinese company has become the more China gov need to control. Alipay is a good example.

Yes. As a percentage, sure. That's how Chinese businesses operate in China. But that's NOT what you were implying. You were making a connection between Epic and the Chinese government based on Tencent's 40% ownership from a Reddit post authored by an individual who admits had no idea how Internet technology (like cookies) actually works.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

68. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 22:01 Kxmode

Ucrazy

67. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 16:55 PropheT

Red886 wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 04:08:
so what do you propose?

Sorry a little late, but I'd propose pressuring your representatives in congress to actually do something about Hong Kong rather than just boycotting a single video game company. If we wanted to support it, we'd have to do it as a nation first (for those in the U.S. here at least). Without a national stance on the issue, companies are going to be forced to bow to the pressure to keep their Chinese interests from being shut down by allowing any speech on the matter to be put out. We'll see statements from places like Epic (who has a large Chinese investment in it, like 40+%) or League of Legends and Riot (which is 100% Tencent I believe), if they haven't already, that they're totally not compromised. But they are, and gamers are just going to keep funneling money into Tencent and other Chinese interests all while lambasting another company for what's happened.

There isn't any difference between Chinese companies like Tencent and China, they're too intertwined. Gamers won't realize it, or won't care if it affects the thing they actually like; Blizzard is easy to hate on, because they've been getting hate since last year on places like Reddit anyway. But if people actually cared, they wouldn't be using Reddit, or they'd be demanding that Epic not take those huge Chinese investments, or they wouldn't play League of Legends, and so on and so on. Boycotting Blizzard doesn't mean shit to help Hong Kong, but it might make it clear that people are mad about this one situation. If people actually cared about Hong Kong, they'd look at the political end of things to try and push for real support or resolution; they'd boycott companies that are taking Chinese money and helping the Chinese government. But they aren't, and they won't, because they really don't give a fuck and just want to rage on the internet when it's easy and convenient.

66. No subject Oct 9, 2019, 16:46 007Bistromath

It is absolutely appalling that an American business would allow the Chinese government impose it's will upon non Chinese citizens.

NBA fans with Free Hong Kong signs ejected from preseason game in Philadelphia. https://6abc.com/sports/sixers-fan-supporting-hong-kong-ejected-from-preseason-game/5604293/

China flex is real.

You keep acting like there's a reason to give a shit about Blizzard's modern creative output.

Deport them. Nothing of value will be lost.

65. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 16:08 roguebanshee

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 15:47:
it's all about the Benjamin's baby.
I think you mean "It's all about the Renminbi, baby".

64. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 15:47 RedEye9

chickenboo wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 15:36:
I'm just sitting here waiting for Valve's reaction to all this news. Isn't their version of Steam in China severely restricted? I canceled my (one month old) WoW classic subscription yesterday but then thought, if this bothered me so much, how would I feel if Valve did the same thing against their tournament players? I don't know how to feel about that.
Valve would have no choice but to do the same thing, it's all about the Benjamin's baby.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

63. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 15:36 chickenboo

I'm just sitting here waiting for Valve's reaction to all this news. Isn't their version of Steam in China severely restricted? I canceled my (one month old) WoW classic subscription yesterday but then thought, if this bothered me so much, how would I feel if Valve did the same thing against their tournament players? I don't know how to feel about that.  

62. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 13:50 Mr. Tact

Yep, pretty much. The NBA went for the big sell in China and managed it. There are more NBA fans in China than there are people in the US. And now the NBA is showing what the price is for that success. It might not be particularly surprising, but it is disappointing they are willing to pay it...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

61. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 13:47 RedEye9

China flex is real.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

60. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 13:37 Riahderymnmaddog

China flex is real.

59. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 12:18 Nimh

China flex is real.

Everyone has a heart, and it’s calling for something. And we’re all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

58. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 11:54 Avus

Ucrazy

Finally someone in this forum really know how Chinese businesses operate in China. The bigger a Chinese company has become the more China gov need to control. Alipay is a good example.

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

57. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 11:48 Riahderymnmaddog

Red886 wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 04:08:
PropheT wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 18:32:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 16:36:
I get it, Blizzard has something that is in their Contract, but since when can the employment contract supersede state or federal law?

They stopped using a couple of streamers, they aren't Blizzard employees.

This entire thing sucks. Blizzard I don't feel had much choice in the matter, not that gamers are going to get that. Politicians are going to latch on, because it's free publicity. Nobody will acknowledge that the U.S. hasn't put any real pressure on China over Hong Kong in a way that will protect businesses here who will encounter situations like the NBA or Blizzard has, and the administration has even apparently gone so far as to say they'll stay quiet and out of the way on the issue.

And people will rage on Reddit, who has a huge stake of it bought by Tencent, and keep playing other games whole or partly owned by Tencent, on platforms whole or partly owned by Tencent, all while ranting about a boycott on Blizzard and standing up for Hong Kong. The internet gaming community far too often is a stupid joke and it's embarrassing to be part of it.

so what do you propose?

How about American corporations not bowing to the Chinese government. It would be one thing this dude was Chinese, China can impose it's will all they want on their citizens. A Chinese business can do business as China approves.

56. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 11:36 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 10:39:
They ain't bending shit, this is all about the shareholders and money. No one gives a flip about human rights unless it's in the form of Lip Service
The Chinese Basketball Association, run by former Houston Rockets center and NBA Hall of Famer Yao Ming, suspended business dealings with the Rockets franchise.
And as NPR's Scott Neuman reported, "Tencent, a media partner of the NBA in China with a five-year streaming deal worth $1.5 billion, and China's state television also said they wouldn't be airing Rockets games.
NPR explained it yesterday
Uh, yeah. I may have mentioned the NBA thing. So, you are saying China's government plays no part in this? It is simply capitalism? While I would agree corporations kowtow to governments all over the globe in order to protect their interests, it is one thing to turn a blind eye, it is another to actively assist the government in silencing anyone who speaks against it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

55. Re: Blizzard's Hearthstone Champion Ban over Protest Draws Protests Oct 9, 2019, 10:39 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 10:19:
I have to say between this and the current "issue" going on with China and the NBA that I'm impressed with China's ability to bend American corporations to their will.
They ain't bending shit, this is all about the shareholders and money. No one gives a flip about human rights unless it's in the form of Lip Service
The Chinese Basketball Association, run by former Houston Rockets center and NBA Hall of Famer Yao Ming, suspended business dealings with the Rockets franchise.
And as NPR's Scott Neuman reported, "Tencent, a media partner of the NBA in China with a five-year streaming deal worth $1.5 billion, and China's state television also said they wouldn't be airing Rockets games.
NPR explained it yesterday
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/10/08/nba-china-hong-kong-protesters

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >