Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2

A Kickstarter update from Rockfish Games discusses crowdfunding of EVERSPACE 2 and other aspects of the upcoming space exploration sequel (thanks PC Gamer). This also includes word that they will not be offering this as an Epic Games Store exclusive, taking the opportunity to throw some shade at other indie developers over "broken promises" in a full-throated endorsement of Steam:
Finally, we have noticed that since our last Kickstarter, things have changed quite a bit. Due to broken promises from indie devs all the way to AAA publishers, it is probably no exaggeration to say that trust in developers is at an all-time low, especially in regards to Epic Games Store exclusives of titles that were originally (co)funded on Kickstarter.

Ironically, one of the main reasons why we are doing another Kickstarter is to double-down on our promise that EVERSPACE 2 will launch on Steam first, no matter what. Just in case there are still any doubts, you might want to read an official interview on Gamesindustry.biz why Steam is and will be our most important digital games storefront.
View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 20:59 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 10:37:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 22:40:
Get your games from GOG, DAMMIT!

So is this now the new battle cry for the lesser of two evils? Do you not realize Steam and GOG have peacefully coexisted for over a decade? I never had a problem with either store. Bought games on both stores and have an active account on both. It's Epic who made 3P exclusivity a thing on PC, and on a platform worse than any other on the market.

There's nothing inherently anti-Steam about these sigs. GoG is already gimped by the fact that larger budget games rarely ever show up on the store, so I don't see it as a direct competitor to any of the other stores.

And I don't have a problem with competition. I would have no problem with EGS (other than their lack of basic features) if they didn't try to buy their way towards monopolizing the playing field.

You're like the anti-RedEye.

Thanks?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 19:46 Razumen

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 11:43:
Razumen wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 08:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 02:33:
Razumen wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 00:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 14:17:
Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 14:12:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 13:36:
NKD wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 11:07:
But what if I wanted to buy it on EGS...

EGS says you're not allowed. Indies can only participate if they sign an exclusivity agreement.
I blame the publisher.

The exclusivity for indies is 100% an EGS requirement. Ask Beamer, he can explain the 'reasoning' behind it.

It's well known at this point anyway ever since 1 indie leaked the emails.
What emails are these?

Because you didn't google it yourself I link you to kotaku

Um, I did search for it, but all I got was results about leaked email addresses and passwords.

I know.... because I had to trudge through 10 pages of garbage to find that link to remember the name of the dev and game. "DarQ dev egs email" is what you need to search

Ahh, much appreciated sir.

38. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 14:28 RedEye9

wtf_man wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 14:05:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 10:32:
Nah, we all use both and afaik it was just a rallying cry to help GOG.
They have been dumping all their money into developing Cyberpunk and their budget is tight or at least that was my impression.

Just thought it was funny to make it snarky, alliterative and allegorical by removing the comma. Paperbag

This.

...and I will gladly remove the comma since someone else is now using it as a sig. If this starts a trend and helps GOG... then hell yes!
works for me Laugh2

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

37. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 14:05 wtf_man

They have been dumping all their money into developing Cyberpunk and their budget is tight or at least that was my impression.

Just thought it was funny to make it snarky, alliterative and allegorical by removing the comma. Paperbag

This.

...and I will gladly remove the comma since someone else is now using it as a sig. If this starts a trend and helps GOG... then hell yes!

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

36. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 11:43 eRe4s3r

Razumen wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 08:11:

EGS says you're not allowed. Indies can only participate if they sign an exclusivity agreement.
I blame the publisher.

The exclusivity for indies is 100% an EGS requirement. Ask Beamer, he can explain the 'reasoning' behind it.

What emails are these?

Um, I did search for it, but all I got was results about leaked email addresses and passwords.

I know.... because I had to trudge through 10 pages of garbage to find that link to remember the name of the dev and game. "DarQ dev egs email" is what you need to search

35. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 11:36 CJ_Parker

A very wrong impression. CD Projekt RED Group is keeping their divisions separate. The GOG division are losers all by themselves without any influence by Cyberpunk which is made by the CD Projekt RED dev division.

The actual problems of GOG (based on CDPR group financial reports) these past few quarters were: Adverse currency conversion rates, Witcher revenue on the decline and GWENT not meeting CDP's lofty expectations.

GOG is making approximately 1% of the revenue that Steam is estimated to be making ($40 million GOG per year vs. $4bn estimated Steam revenue per year).
It doesn't even make sense to compare the two. GOG is at the very tail end of digital storefronts. They are easily surpassed by uPlay, Origin, EGS and nearly everyone else.

GOG will see a massive boost, just as they received from the Witcher sales, when Cyberpunk comes out due to CDP marketing the shit out of their own platform, of course.
GOG 2.0 might also help them gain more popularity. We'll see. The financial reports will be openly available since CDPR group is a publicly traded stock corp.

As for 3rd party publishing, GOG will probably never gain any kind of serious traction in the market due to their DRM-free principles. The vast majority of their revenue has always been Witcher and GWENT, i.e. mostly their own stuff.

34. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 10:37 Drayth

So is this now the new battle cry for the lesser of two evils? Do you not realize Steam and GOG have peacefully coexisted for over a decade? I never had a problem with either store. Bought games on both stores and have an active account on both. It's Epic who made 3P exclusivity a thing on PC, and on a platform worse than any other on the market.

There's nothing inherently anti-Steam about these sigs. GoG is already gimped by the fact that larger budget games rarely ever show up on the store, so I don't see it as a direct competitor to any of the other stores.

And I don't have a problem with competition. I would have no problem with EGS (other than their lack of basic features) if they didn't try to buy their way towards monopolizing the playing field.

You're like the anti-RedEye.

33. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 10:32 Acleacius

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

32. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 10:18 Razumen

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2019, 10:07:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 16:02:
El Pit wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 11:57:
But please try to buy from GOG first, if a game is available on this store, too.
Only reason I sometimes don't buy on GoG is that GoG users tend to get screwed on updates... Factorio being a good example. GoG users also get screwed when mods for the game in question primarily go through steam workshop.

At least the former is definitely publisher sloppiness if they do not submit the patches to GOG. I doubt that someone at GOG deliberately refuses to upload patches. If so that would be a reason to boycott GOG.

The latter is a community issue but that's just the way that Steam elitists tick. There shall be no God beside Steam. That's why Steam elitist modders only upload to and support their stuff on Steam. They want everyone to join the one and only exclusive Steam cult. GOGers are inferior, unworthy lepers.

Or maybe they just find Workshop easier to use and don't want to bother supporting every version of the game that exists? There's no need to assume the worst of everyone all the time.

31. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 10:07 CJ_Parker

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 16:02:
El Pit wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 11:57:
But please try to buy from GOG first, if a game is available on this store, too.
Only reason I sometimes don't buy on GoG is that GoG users tend to get screwed on updates... Factorio being a good example. GoG users also get screwed when mods for the game in question primarily go through steam workshop.

At least the former is definitely publisher sloppiness if they do not submit the patches to GOG. I doubt that someone at GOG deliberately refuses to upload patches. If so that would be a reason to boycott GOG.

The latter is a community issue but that's just the way that Steam elitists tick. There shall be no God beside Steam. That's why Steam elitist modders only upload to and support their stuff on Steam. They want everyone to join the one and only exclusive Steam cult. GOGers are inferior, unworthy lepers.

30. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 08:11 Razumen

I blame the publisher.

What emails are these?

29. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 02:33 eRe4s3r

I blame the publisher.

What emails are these?

28. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 8, 2019, 00:40 Razumen

I blame the publisher.

What emails are these?

27. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 22:40 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

26. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 22:31 Kxmode

It's probably worth noting this snippet from a recent interview between GamesIndustry.biz and Rockfish:

"For Schade, that sense of calm and confidence is less comforting than one might expect. Rockfish itself rose from the ashes of his previous company, Fishlabs, which went bankrupt in 2013. Everspace was the first attempt at a PC game from a group of mobile developers fleeing the collapse of the premium market on the app stores. Every scrap of its success was hard won."

Just because something is mobile doesn't automatically mean it'll be successful. Much like cloning a Fortnite or a LOL, or a World of Warcraft, doesn't automatically equal a hit. I think Command & Conquer: Rivals, Diablo: Immortal and even Elder Scrolls Blades not being slum dunks in positive receivership or profitability are a safe hazard one could make.

25. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 21:08 Acleacius

Drayth wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 19:37:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 19:32:

There's an argument for removing the comma after GOG. Mwahaha

haha!
EGSactly.
/Snap! Highfive

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

24. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 19:44 wtf_man

After some googlin' (Actually DuckduckGoin') Apparently I was thinking of Elite Dangerous.  

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

23. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 19:37 Drayth

Acleacius wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 19:32:

haha!
EGSactly.

22. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 19:32 Acleacius

wtf_man wrote on Oct 7, 2019, 18:21:
Aren't these the asshats that promised offline in a kickstarter, then ended up requiring an internet connection even for single player?

Or am I thinking of some other space game?
I don't really know about the online there doesn't seem to be any info about it. But....

21. Re: No EGS Exclusivity for EVERSPACE 2 Oct 7, 2019, 19:08 MyRealName

Hm. EGS / Steam with DRM, or cheap (and maybe even free, like I got the first one) without DRM from GoG... Decisions, decisions.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >