Epic Games Store September Update Plans

Epic Games offers a September Feature Update for the Epic Games Store outlining the next steps for the Epic Games Store. These include new library view options, improved patch sizes, the addition of playtime tracking, support for bundles, and more. They also look beyond these immediate plans to outline other upcoming features such as a new storefront, an in-game overlay, and more. Here's more on that:
NEW Storefront
A new store and browsing experience, including curated collections. You'll be able to see what games are trending, filter by genre, and more, so that you can find games you'll love faster and easier than before.

Epic Games Overlay - Checkout
We're creating an in-game overlay. It'll be a while before it's fully realized but our thoughts here are centered around giving you ways to interact with your Epic Games store (e.g. library, social, etc.) while in-game.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans
Sep 28, 2019, 14:09
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 14:09
Sep 28, 2019, 14:09

No sure how the store controls patch size, but await the hate brigade nonetheless.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Sep 28, 2019, 14:22
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 14:22
Sep 28, 2019, 14:22

Patch size: If their store isn't currently setup to patch individual files in some cases, then patch size is automatically larger for some(all?) games, as they have to replace most or all game files.

If the patcher can't add to/modify a file, they have to transmit an entire file, instead of just the additional content, etc.

Plenty of areas for optimization behind the scenes in any store, but also somewhat game dependent usually.

Sep 28, 2019, 14:26
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 14:26
Sep 28, 2019, 14:26

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 14:22:
also somewhat game dependent usually.
That's what I'd think.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Sep 28, 2019, 15:56
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 15:56
Sep 28, 2019, 15:56

The reason I finally uninstalled Fortnite even though I'd occasionally fire up the PVE mode is that it takes so fucking long to update. They push hotfixes and other small updates to the BR mode so often that it seemed every time I went to go fire it up, it made me wait for half an hour or more. Even though the downloads were pretty small (less than 100MB), it'd be scanning through and processing probably the entire game installation.

I don't know if it's the same way with any of the other games, but it's definitely an issue the majority of their users have been dealing with for a long time.

Sep 28, 2019, 16:11
Nucas

Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 16:11
Sep 28, 2019, 16:11
 Nucas

Patch size: If their store isn't currently setup to patch individual files in some cases, then patch size is automatically larger for some(all?) games, as they have to replace most or all game files.

If the patcher can't add to/modify a file, they have to transmit an entire file, instead of just the additional content, etc.

Plenty of areas for optimization behind the scenes in any store, but also somewhat game dependent usually.

yeah, delta patching right? steam does a form of this.

that aside, its insane to me that epic spent 10 million dollars to get remedy's game Control on their storefront but there wasn't a dime to spare on the actual storefront, like i still have to purchase games one at a time; or that tim sweeney thinks the best PR is for him to do it himself on twitter instead of spending the money on a fucking PR firm.

they could really have launched themselves as the saviors from steam and been embraced rather than begrudgingly tolerated, but man they can't stop fucking it up. the glowing headlines would practically be writing themselves: what's going on at valve? storefront still a disaster, clogged in thousands of chinese shovelware anime fuck games, and they finally got around to patching half-life 2's blinking bug after 5 years.

oh well.

Sep 28, 2019, 16:22
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 16:22
Sep 28, 2019, 16:22

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 15:56:
I don't know if it's the same way with any of the other games

Nope. Must be Fortnite specific. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw just downloads the patches, installs, done. It's a very fast process.

Sep 28, 2019, 16:26
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 16:26
Sep 28, 2019, 16:26

https://steamstat.us/
Steam appears to have shit the bed. Is today reboot Tuesday?
https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/steampowered.com.html

edit
It's back up as per flatline, tuesday averted

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2019, 17:21.

Sep 28, 2019, 16:43
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 16:43
Sep 28, 2019, 16:43

I never understood what every one hates on EPIC for Epic Game Store, at least their shit works, which is more then can be said for Steam right now!

Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike
Sep 28, 2019, 17:11
Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Sep 28, 2019, 17:11
Sep 28, 2019, 17:11

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 16:26:
https://steamstat.us/
Steam appears to have shit the bed. Is today reboot Tuesday?
https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/steampowered.com.html

Back up now.

Sep 28, 2019, 17:57
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 17:57
Sep 28, 2019, 17:57

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 15:56:
The reason I finally uninstalled Fortnite even though I'd occasionally fire up the PVE mode is that it takes so fucking long to update. They push hotfixes and other small updates to the BR mode so often that it seemed every time I went to go fire it up, it made me wait for half an hour or more. Even though the downloads were pretty small (less than 100MB), it'd be scanning through and processing probably the entire game installation.

I don't know if it's the same way with any of the other games, but it's definitely an issue the majority of their users have been dealing with for a long time.

I have only really kept Dauntless and the new Unreal beta (RIP), but both or those patched infrequently and quickly. That makes me think it is Fortnight specific, but that is just a guess.
”Not many people know I owned the first radio in Springfield. Weren’t much on the air then. Just Edison reciting the alphabet over and over. “A,” he’d say. Then “B.” “C” would usually follow."

Sep 28, 2019, 19:11
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 19:11
Sep 28, 2019, 19:11

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 16:43:
I never understood what every one hates on EPIC for Epic Game Store, at least their shit works, which is more then can be said for Steam right now!

It's a piece of shit that lacks any basic functionality that any other platform has?

I don't mean to be offensive, but you must be stupid if you can't tell the difference between it and Steam?

Sep 28, 2019, 20:51
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 20:51
Sep 28, 2019, 20:51

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 16:43:

Are you not able to comprehend English? How you can say you don't understand. There are about a handful of reasons stated over and over, seem pretty easy to grasp, maybe you don't agree, but that is different. I'm not a fan of buying exclusives, but it was Tim's assault on the community and his hypocritical rant on MS years ago and Windows was going to be a walled garden and throw all the competition out, that didn't happen and he built his walled garden. He was projecting on MS what he wanted to do himself. Those are my two.

Sep 28, 2019, 21:21
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 21:21
Sep 28, 2019, 21:21

Nucas wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 16:11:
what's going on at valve? storefront still a disaster, clogged in thousands of chinese shovelware anime fuck games, and they finally got around to patching half-life 2's blinking bug after 5 years.

oh well.

How are you even seeing these? You have your adult filter set to on?

Sep 28, 2019, 22:00
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 22:00
Sep 28, 2019, 22:00

I can't help but feel that the Epic games store is a desperation in the sight of the huge revenue loss Epic gonna feel as Fortnite dips users and MTX buys. Trying to capitalize on the in pending death of Fortnite and how else than give us something we already have and didn't really need another...

Sep 28, 2019, 22:59
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 28, 2019, 22:59
Sep 28, 2019, 22:59

that aside, its insane to me that epic spent 10 million dollars to get remedy's game Control on their storefront but there wasn't a dime to spare on the actual storefront, like i still have to purchase games one at a time; or that tim sweeney thinks the best PR is for him to do it himself on twitter instead of spending the money on a fucking PR firm.

they could really have launched themselves as the saviors from steam and been embraced rather than begrudgingly tolerated, but man they can't stop fucking it up. the glowing headlines would practically be writing themselves: what's going on at valve? storefront still a disaster, clogged in thousands of chinese shovelware anime fuck games, and they finally got around to patching half-life 2's blinking bug after 5 years.

oh well.

Making gobs of money from horny teens = fun.
Fixing bugs = not fun.

As for Epic, making quality software takes time. Just like you can't throw 9 pregnant women together and expect to have a baby in one month, the more developers you throw at a software problem, the more your returns diminish.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 29, 2019, 01:41
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 01:41
Sep 29, 2019, 01:41

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 20:51:
it was Tim's assault on the community

Popcorn
”Not many people know I owned the first radio in Springfield. Weren’t much on the air then. Just Edison reciting the alphabet over and over. “A,” he’d say. Then “B.” “C” would usually follow."

Sep 29, 2019, 04:53
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 04:53
Sep 29, 2019, 04:53

And we put a bigger straw up yours with this update ...and some in here like it I see.....gezzz

Sep 29, 2019, 06:01
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 06:01
Sep 29, 2019, 06:01

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 22:59:

oh well.

Making gobs of money from horny teens = fun.
Fixing bugs = not fun.

As for Epic, making quality software takes time. Just like you can't throw 9 pregnant women together and expect to have a baby in one month, the more developers you throw at a software problem, the more your returns diminish.
Information and facts about how the sausage is made is irrelevant in a stomping feet thead.

Sep 29, 2019, 06:58
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 06:58
Sep 29, 2019, 06:58

Xero wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 22:00:
I can't help but feel that the Epic games store is a desperation in the sight of the huge revenue loss Epic gonna feel as Fortnite dips users and MTX buys. Trying to capitalize on the in pending death of Fortnite and how else than give us something we already have and didn't really need another...

Why would there be desperation? Epic has very successfully existed as a company for about two decades without Fortnite. Their engine licensing is their bread & butter revenue generator. They don't need Fortnite. Never have, never will.

Fortnite has made Epic insanely rich though. If you make that kind of profit and after getting tired of hookers and blow there is only one thing left to do in dealing with such excess money: You invest it.
The EGS is Epic investing their massive profits into an endeavor they are hoping will pay off in the long run for their eco system.

Given their eco system it makes sense to give it a shot. It is actually very similar to Valve. Valve also started as a dev and Source engine licensor before they shat out the Steam DRM system.
Epic has always been in a similar place. The missing piece of the puzzle until recently was the lack of a storefront.

If it doesn't work out they'll go back to developing and licensing but I'm quite sure that the EGS is here to stay. If exclusivity for something like Remedy's Control is "only" $10 million then it will take a very looooong time before those coffers dry up.
And Epic doesn't care about us old farts or Steam elitists anyway. They are after the fresh meat and in it for the long run. There is always a new young gen of gamers just getting started who couldn't care less about the Store Wars since they don't have any old and established libraries yet.

Sep 29, 2019, 08:19
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 08:19
Sep 29, 2019, 08:19

Oh god, this is apparently the day. The day I agree with something CJ said. His entire post is quite good.
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer