Epic Games Store September Update Plans

Epic Games offers a September Feature Update for the Epic Games Store outlining the next steps for the Epic Games Store. These include new library view options, improved patch sizes, the addition of playtime tracking, support for bundles, and more. They also look beyond these immediate plans to outline other upcoming features such as a new storefront, an in-game overlay, and more. Here's more on that:
NEW Storefront
A new store and browsing experience, including curated collections. You'll be able to see what games are trending, filter by genre, and more, so that you can find games you'll love faster and easier than before.

Epic Games Overlay - Checkout
We're creating an in-game overlay. It'll be a while before it's fully realized but our thoughts here are centered around giving you ways to interact with your Epic Games store (e.g. library, social, etc.) while in-game.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans
Oct 1, 2019, 11:05
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Oct 1, 2019, 11:05
Oct 1, 2019, 11:05

Verno wrote on Oct 1, 2019, 10:22:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 17:07:
Honestly, it's a low priority issue. Even on Steam, I rarely buy more than one game at a time.

It was never really an "issue", just more a sign of overall competence. A storefront wants you spending as much money as possible there and a shopping cart is proven to do just that. The fact that they are so scattershot with feature design and support is the overall point people were making in singling that out. It just points to an overall lack of vision and execution.

But that makes sense since Epic makes game engines, not storefronts. Its just weird that the same 2-3 people constantly excuse them for their obvious failings in this regard, no one else gets a pass. Steam used to be a giant piece of shit and we heard about it constantly here, hell we still hear it from some people even. So yeah keep going with those updates Epic and make your client good.

If you mean me, I give Valve passes, too. This stuff isn't easy to build overnight. I'm a bit more lenient towards EGS because I'd like to see a Valve competitor to push some innovation. Two companies competing are more likely to solve the discovery issue (though, if Google and Apple haven't, not convinced anyone will.)

If you mean others, there are some here that hate Valve far more irrationally than some hate EGS (but make no mistake, some of those angry at EGS are entirely irrational.)

Oct 1, 2019, 10:22
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Oct 1, 2019, 10:22
Oct 1, 2019, 10:22

Honestly, it's a low priority issue. Even on Steam, I rarely buy more than one game at a time.

It was never really an "issue", just more a sign of overall competence. A storefront wants you spending as much money as possible there and a shopping cart is proven to do just that. The fact that they are so scattershot with feature design and support is the overall point people were making in singling that out. It just points to an overall lack of vision and execution.

But that makes sense since Epic makes game engines, not storefronts. Its just weird that the same 2-3 people constantly excuse them for their obvious failings in this regard, no one else gets a pass. Steam used to be a giant piece of shit and we heard about it constantly here, hell we still hear it from some people even. So yeah keep going with those updates Epic and make your client good.

Sep 30, 2019, 06:28
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 30, 2019, 06:28
Sep 30, 2019, 06:28

Nucas wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 09:57:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 06:01:
Information and facts about how the sausage is made is irrelevant in a stomping feet thead.
i think shopping carts are kind of a solved problem actually
The silly thing about the EGS lacking a shopping cart is that the Unreal Engine Marketplace does have one and it's also accessible through the Epic Launcher.

Sep 29, 2019, 20:44
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 20:44
Sep 29, 2019, 20:44

Information and facts about how the sausage is made is irrelevant in a stomping feet thead.
It might be low to you but it's one of the main reasons i boycott egs.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Sep 29, 2019, 20:20
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 20:20
Sep 29, 2019, 20:20

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 17:09:

You channelled Dilbert perfectly.

Yeah. If only Scott Adams wasn't such a douche.

Sep 29, 2019, 17:09
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 17:09
Sep 29, 2019, 17:09

Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 11:20:
Nucas wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 16:11:
or that tim sweeney thinks the best PR is for him to do it himself on twitter instead of spending the money on a fucking PR firm.

Eh, I gotta admit that I kind of appreciate that. I mean, I don't agree with most of what he says, and I don't buy for a second that they're just doing this "for the betterment of all gaming" (paraphrased) as opposed to "for the betterment of my bank account", but at the same time I like that he's engaging in these discussions himself.

If it was a PR firm doing it, we'd get something like "Epic is engaging in non-shared innovative synergetic behavior in order to create a paradigm of actionable analytics, leading to a new brand identity where through contextual marketing, we deliver on a content-is-king storefront that we feel will be a big disruptor in the market place. We are confident that with real-time engagement in our omni-marketing channel, we can repurpose and retarget content in order to take away perceived pain points, and become a viral thought-leader in transparency."

Puke

I made myself sick just typing that.
You channelled Dilbert perfectly.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 29, 2019, 17:07
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 17:07
Sep 29, 2019, 17:07

If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 29, 2019, 16:55
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 16:55
Sep 29, 2019, 16:55

wtf_man wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 11:54:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 20:51:
...and his hypocritical rant on MS years ago and Windows was going to be a walled garden and throw all the competition out, that didn't happen and he built his walled garden. He was projecting on MS what he wanted to do himself. Those are my two.

Yeah, that is fairly hypocritical... squawking about wanting the platform to remain open, Windows Store is bad m'kay, etc. etc., and then shiznitting out exclusives for EGS as if that wasn't a "closed off system".

Not that I personally give a shiznit about EGS exclusives (in general)... but the Hypocrisy by Sweeny is fairly apparent.

Chances are there will be a day I use it at will, but I'm bent for now and in no hurry.

Sep 29, 2019, 11:54
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 11:54
Sep 29, 2019, 11:54

...and his hypocritical rant on MS years ago and Windows was going to be a walled garden and throw all the competition out, that didn't happen and he built his walled garden. He was projecting on MS what he wanted to do himself. Those are my two.

Yeah, that is fairly hypocritical... squawking about wanting the platform to remain open, Windows Store is bad m'kay, etc. etc., and then shiznitting out exclusives for EGS as if that wasn't a "closed off system".

Not that I personally give a shiznit about EGS exclusives (in general)... but the Hypocrisy by Sweeny is fairly apparent.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Sep 29, 2019, 11:20
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 11:20
Sep 29, 2019, 11:20

or that tim sweeney thinks the best PR is for him to do it himself on twitter instead of spending the money on a fucking PR firm.

Eh, I gotta admit that I kind of appreciate that. I mean, I don't agree with most of what he says, and I don't buy for a second that they're just doing this "for the betterment of all gaming" (paraphrased) as opposed to "for the betterment of my bank account", but at the same time I like that he's engaging in these discussions himself.

If it was a PR firm doing it, we'd get something like "Epic is engaging in non-shared innovative synergetic behavior in order to create a paradigm of actionable analytics, leading to a new brand identity where through contextual marketing, we deliver on a content-is-king storefront that we feel will be a big disruptor in the market place. We are confident that with real-time engagement in our omni-marketing channel, we can repurpose and retarget content in order to take away perceived pain points, and become a viral thought-leader in transparency."

Puke

I made myself sick just typing that.

Sep 29, 2019, 10:25
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 10:25
Sep 29, 2019, 10:25

roguebanshee wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 08:54:
There are also more launchers with stores now than 10 years ago and most of them have exclusive content.

This has been gone over a lot, your own launcher and your own exclusive is different that your own launcher and exclusives of other makers games. One may not care, that is fine, that is your choice, but come on there is a difference and it has been repeated 1000's of times now.

Sep 29, 2019, 10:22
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 10:22
Sep 29, 2019, 10:22

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 06:58:
And Epic doesn't care about us old farts or Steam elitists anyway. They are after the fresh meat and in it for the long run.

Then don't expect support from a lot of people they ignore. They are getting exactly what they should expect. I'm in this for me.

Sep 29, 2019, 10:18
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 10:18
Sep 29, 2019, 10:18

MattyC wrote on Sep 29, 2019, 01:41:
it was Tim's assault on the community

Popcorn

Yeah I'm not a fan of a company attacking customers, even if some customers have attacked them. Also in a who made who, Epic started this by their actions, so expect feedback.

Sep 29, 2019, 09:57
Nucas

Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 09:57
Sep 29, 2019, 09:57
 Nucas

Sep 29, 2019, 09:28
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 09:28
Sep 29, 2019, 09:28

If it doesn't work out they'll go back to developing and licensing but I'm quite sure that the EGS is here to stay. If exclusivity for something like Remedy's Control is "only" $10 million then it will take a very looooong time before those coffers dry up.

As dreyerdaughter is fond of saying, "Facts."

Sep 29, 2019, 08:54
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 08:54
Sep 29, 2019, 08:54

There is always a new young gen of gamers just getting started who couldn't care less about the Store Wars since they don't have any old and established libraries yet.
There are also more launchers with stores now than 10 years ago and most of them have exclusive content. EA's Origin, Uplay, and Battle.net (desktop launcher) are all less than 10 years old and all have exclusives (or at least games that require them being installed). Heck, from what I can tell even GOG has a GOG Galaxy exclusive in Gwent.

People growing up as PC gamers in this market are likely going to be less tied to a single client than those with more than a decade's worth of games on Steam. Want to play AssCreed? Open up Uplay. An EA Sports title? Boot up Origin. Fortnite? Start the Epic Launcher.

Launcher exclusives are just a fact of life in the current PC gaming market. Which means that having multiple launchers (and stores) installed is likely going to be the norm going forward. You may be able to buy the games on a different storefront, but you'll need the launcher (+store) to run it.

Sep 29, 2019, 08:19
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 08:19
Sep 29, 2019, 08:19

Oh god, this is apparently the day. The day I agree with something CJ said. His entire post is quite good.

Sep 29, 2019, 06:58
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 06:58
Sep 29, 2019, 06:58

Xero wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 22:00:
I can't help but feel that the Epic games store is a desperation in the sight of the huge revenue loss Epic gonna feel as Fortnite dips users and MTX buys. Trying to capitalize on the in pending death of Fortnite and how else than give us something we already have and didn't really need another...

Why would there be desperation? Epic has very successfully existed as a company for about two decades without Fortnite. Their engine licensing is their bread & butter revenue generator. They don't need Fortnite. Never have, never will.

Fortnite has made Epic insanely rich though. If you make that kind of profit and after getting tired of hookers and blow there is only one thing left to do in dealing with such excess money: You invest it.
The EGS is Epic investing their massive profits into an endeavor they are hoping will pay off in the long run for their eco system.

Given their eco system it makes sense to give it a shot. It is actually very similar to Valve. Valve also started as a dev and Source engine licensor before they shat out the Steam DRM system.
Epic has always been in a similar place. The missing piece of the puzzle until recently was the lack of a storefront.

If it doesn't work out they'll go back to developing and licensing but I'm quite sure that the EGS is here to stay. If exclusivity for something like Remedy's Control is "only" $10 million then it will take a very looooong time before those coffers dry up.
And Epic doesn't care about us old farts or Steam elitists anyway. They are after the fresh meat and in it for the long run. There is always a new young gen of gamers just getting started who couldn't care less about the Store Wars since they don't have any old and established libraries yet.

Sep 29, 2019, 06:01
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 06:01
Sep 29, 2019, 06:01

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 22:59:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 28, 2019, 14:22:
Patch size: If their store isn't currently setup to patch individual files in some cases, then patch size is automatically larger for some(all?) games, as they have to replace most or all game files.

If the patcher can't add to/modify a file, they have to transmit an entire file, instead of just the additional content, etc.

Plenty of areas for optimization behind the scenes in any store, but also somewhat game dependent usually.

yeah, delta patching right? steam does a form of this.

that aside, its insane to me that epic spent 10 million dollars to get remedy's game Control on their storefront but there wasn't a dime to spare on the actual storefront, like i still have to purchase games one at a time; or that tim sweeney thinks the best PR is for him to do it himself on twitter instead of spending the money on a fucking PR firm.

they could really have launched themselves as the saviors from steam and been embraced rather than begrudgingly tolerated, but man they can't stop fucking it up. the glowing headlines would practically be writing themselves: what's going on at valve? storefront still a disaster, clogged in thousands of chinese shovelware anime fuck games, and they finally got around to patching half-life 2's blinking bug after 5 years.

oh well.

Making gobs of money from horny teens = fun.
Fixing bugs = not fun.

As for Epic, making quality software takes time. Just like you can't throw 9 pregnant women together and expect to have a baby in one month, the more developers you throw at a software problem, the more your returns diminish.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Sep 29, 2019, 04:53
Re: Epic Games Store September Update Plans Sep 29, 2019, 04:53
Sep 29, 2019, 04:53

And we put a bigger straw up yours with this update ...and some in here like it I see.....gezzz
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older