Billion Dollar Borderlands 3

2K Games announces that Borderlands 3 has sold more than five million units in the five days after the September 13th launch of the first-person shlooter, becoming the publisher's second billion dollar franchise (we'll throw out a wild guess that Grand Theft Auto is the other). Here's word on the early success the action/RPG sequel has met with:
Today, 2K announced that Borderlands® 3, the latest entry to the renowned shooter-looter franchise, has unleashed further mayhem by achieving multiple record-setting milestones for both the series and label following its worldwide release on Friday, September 13. Within its first five days of launch, 50 percent more consumers purchased Borderlands 3 versus sales of its predecessor – Borderlands 2 – making the title the fastest-selling in 2K’s history, as well as the highest-selling title for the label on PC in a five-day window. In addition, Borderlands 3 has sold-in more than 5 million units in its first five days, leading the Borderlands franchise to generate more than $1 billion in Net Bookings and becoming the second franchise in 2K history to achieve this milestone.

Borderlands 3 marks 2K’s highest percentage of digital sales for a cross-platform, cross-distribution title, with more than 70 percent of consumers purchasing the game digitally in its first five days of release. In addition, Borderlands 3 delivered the highest pre-order sales figures to date for a 2K title, as well as broke pre-order records with the Epic Games Store. Initial sales of Borderlands 3 have exceeded the label’s expectations and, in particular, PC sales of the title through the Epic Games Store have been incredibly strong.

Borderlands 3 claimed the top position on Twitch for Most-Watched Game on its launch day and has maintained its position as a Top Five Most-Watched Game since launch. In addition, Borderlands 3 has already generated more than 14 million hours of content viewed on Twitch – more than half the viewership that Borderlands 2 generated in its seven-year lifetime.

“Borderlands 3’s incredibly successful launch is a result of the hard work and longstanding partnership between Gearbox Software and 2K,” said David Ismailer, President of 2K. “We are immensely grateful to everyone who played a role in making the Borderlands series the global, pop culture phenomenon that it is today, including hundreds of developers at Gearbox and many who have made this their life’s work. We also want to thank the Borderlands community. Mayhem does not happen by itself, and their passion for the series is what drives us to make each game an amazing experience.”
View : : :
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3
Sep 25, 2019, 02:43
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 25, 2019, 02:43
Sep 25, 2019, 02:43

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 16:11:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 16:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 14:53:
change,
change never changes

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
jdreyer gets a gold star nsfw Grin
war, war never changes.

People grumbling about Epic and stating they will not buy until it's on Steam are "farting in the face of a hurricane". This is another one of those vocal, but insignificant minority things.
Most people simply don't give a shit which store hosts their games.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 24, 2019, 16:11
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 16:11
Sep 24, 2019, 16:11

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 16:03:
change,
change never changes

jdreyer gets a gold star nsfw Grin
war, war never changes.

People grumbling about Epic and stating they will not buy until it's on Steam are "farting in the face of a hurricane". This is another one of those vocal, but insignificant minority things.
Most people simply don't give a shit which store hosts their games.

The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Sep 24, 2019, 16:03
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 16:03
Sep 24, 2019, 16:03

Kxmode wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 15:35:
change,
change never changes

Your words. They make no sense.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Sep 24, 2019, 15:50
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 15:50
Sep 24, 2019, 15:50

Rilcon wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 21:47:
Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 21:29:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 20:39:
Or just pay their employees better salaries, which indirectly helps them make more and/or better games.

That whole "They'll pay their developers better salaries!" thing sounds really familiar... Where have we heard that before? Trickle-Down something something?

Please stop with this argument. It's a dumb argument. The big corporate tax cut was going to give everyone big fat raises too. Everyone who actually got a big fat raise, rather than absolutely jack shit or a one-time miserly bonus (which got taxed extra), please raise your hands.

Publishers aren't going to give the extra 18% to their developers. Trickle Down economics don't work, no matter how many times we try them, because the people who are supposed to be trickling down are greedy fucking bastards.

(I totally get why publishers prefer EGS over Steam, 18% is 18% and it's a BIG chunk of cash. I just wish people would stop with this trickle down argument.)

By that logic, Steam's profits all go to GabeN's wallet and none of it towards Valve game development, right?
CEOs taking massive profits is apparently a thing.

Sep 24, 2019, 15:46
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 15:46
Sep 24, 2019, 15:46

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 15:38:
.Drifter wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 20:33:
My biggest complaint is that, from what I had read, being on EGS was less expensive to a developer. As such, that could result in this savings on the developers part being passed on to the consumer as a cheaper game.
Same thing that was said when Steam launched, games would be cheaper since they wouldn't involve all the money needing to be spent on getting a game into a store as a physical copy, and yet it never happened due to the need to maintain price parity with the physical copy in the store, or risk losing the box sales in store.
And here Borderlands 3 is, nice payoff to the developer, apparently a discount for using UE4 and releasing on EGS store exclusively, on top of the lower fees to be there than on steam, along with no need to meet price parity with a physical store copy, and yet the game is no cheaper than any other version. No savings passed on to the consumer.

Randy Pitchford has been accused in the past of keeping excess profits for himself.
I accuse someone of keeping profits for themself. Today J'accuse Gaben, tomorrow Chris Roberts and the day after that Sean Murray!

Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch
Sep 24, 2019, 15:42
Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 24, 2019, 15:42
Sep 24, 2019, 15:42

Quinn wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 14:46:
Dwarf-Snowninja wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 12:30:
Except that comparing EGS year one to Steam year one is a false comparison, as EGS is not operating in a vacuum. Steam was terribad for several years; Epic has years and years of data (buying patterns, store layout, etc etc...) it could've analyzed and integrated into their store. They could've avoided several glaringly obvious shortcomings that can't be excused in this day and age; they didn't, and that's on them. Snip

This double standard is beyond me. Some demon in hell decides to compete with fucking Satan HIMSELF and the stupid AF imps flock to Satan's defence. Steam started this shit. I remember like it was yesterday how fucking terrible I thought it was that I needed this ridiculously bad "Steam" program to play HL2. I didn't know wtf it was and it took me a while to accept that new status quo. I think I was 15 at the time.

So yeah, blame EGS for its exclusivity bullshit but even now I am again starting to shake in my opinion. I no longer care if EGS wants to open up their store to triple A titles but only accept an exclusivity deal with indies. In the end, indies have their indie platform now. It's called Steam. The devil himself.
You nailed it.
Otherwise known as the "Six of one, half dozen of the other" paradox.

Sep 24, 2019, 15:38
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 15:38
Sep 24, 2019, 15:38

.Drifter wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 20:33:
My biggest complaint is that, from what I had read, being on EGS was less expensive to a developer. As such, that could result in this savings on the developers part being passed on to the consumer as a cheaper game.
Same thing that was said when Steam launched, games would be cheaper since they wouldn't involve all the money needing to be spent on getting a game into a store as a physical copy, and yet it never happened due to the need to maintain price parity with the physical copy in the store, or risk losing the box sales in store.
And here Borderlands 3 is, nice payoff to the developer, apparently a discount for using UE4 and releasing on EGS store exclusively, on top of the lower fees to be there than on steam, along with no need to meet price parity with a physical store copy, and yet the game is no cheaper than any other version. No savings passed on to the consumer.

Randy Pitchford has been accused in the past of keeping excess profits for himself.

Sep 24, 2019, 15:37
Kxmode

Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 15:37
Sep 24, 2019, 15:37
 Kxmode

Quinn wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 14:46:
Except that comparing EGS year one to Steam year one is a false comparison, as EGS is not operating in a vacuum. Steam was terribad for several years; Epic has years and years of data (buying patterns, store layout, etc etc...) it could've analyzed and integrated into their store. They could've avoided several glaringly obvious shortcomings that can't be excused in this day and age; they didn't, and that's on them. Snip

This double standard is beyond me. Some demon in hell decides to compete with fucking Satan HIMSELF and the stupid AF imps flock to Satan's defence. Steam started this shit. I remember like it was yesterday how fucking terrible I thought it was that I needed this ridiculously bad "Steam" program to play HL2. I didn't know wtf it was and it took me a while to accept that new status quo. I think I was 15 at the time.

So yeah, blame EGS for its exclusivity bullshit but even now I am again starting to shake in my opinion. I no longer care if EGS wants to open up their store to triple A titles but only accept an exclusivity deal with indies. In the end, indies have their indie platform now. It's called Steam. The devil himself.

Did you seriously use that as a background to compare Steam? Are you mental?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 24, 2019, 15:35
Kxmode

Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 15:35
Sep 24, 2019, 15:35
 Kxmode

change,
change never changes

Your words. They make no sense.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 24, 2019, 14:53
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 14:53
Sep 24, 2019, 14:53

change,
change never changes

Sep 24, 2019, 14:47
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 14:47
Sep 24, 2019, 14:47

Rilcon wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 21:47:
By that logic, Steam's profits all go to GabeN's wallet and none of it towards Valve game development, right?

Are you trying to argue differently? I mean, I don't think it ALL goes to Gabe, but the large, large, large majority of Steam's profits go to Valve's owners. Or do you seriously believe that the BILLIONS of dollars in profits that Steam makes somehow gets put into Valve's games?

Where are all these games, then? They must be releasing 40 new titles in the next year?

This is the gaming industry we're talking about. Where publishers will fucking fire 900 people two weeks before Christmas to "realign our expectations with blablablablablala buzzwords." By and large, publishers don't give a FUCK about developers. 2K sure as hell doesn't. That 18% extra cash is not going to make its way back to the guy who spent 6 years cell shading every texture, or the guy who rigged all the animation skeletons.

Sep 24, 2019, 14:46
Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 24, 2019, 14:46
Sep 24, 2019, 14:46

Sep 24, 2019, 12:30
Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 24, 2019, 12:30
Sep 24, 2019, 12:30

Except that comparing EGS year one to Steam year one is a false comparison, as EGS is not operating in a vacuum. Steam was terribad for several years; Epic has years and years of data (buying patterns, store layout, etc etc...) it could've analyzed and integrated into their store. They could've avoided several glaringly obvious shortcomings that can't be excused in this day and age; they didn't, and that's on them.

Going for exclusives is a good stop-gap to address said pitfalls, but saying people shouldn't be upset when 3rd party games move shop with little or no warning.

As for BL3, I view this as a good beta test as well as a chance for a few DLCs to come out in 6 months. I'm very suspicious of the top 5 comment, but maybe it's how my Twitch app is curated, but there was only 1 Bl3 streamer up there (I mostly watch warframe streams), and a heap of WoW Classic streams (don't get that one...). Saying it broke pre-order records without showing numbers is also specious, as this could be records for an fps, a 2k game on EGS, or similar.

Sep 24, 2019, 05:59
Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 24, 2019, 05:59
Sep 24, 2019, 05:59

Kxmode wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 05:01:
Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 01:25:
I guess that blew the wind out of the anti-EGS brigade. And it only took one game lmao

Kind of like how the Star Citizen whales make a ton of noise about the game when new trailers debut, amirite?

Yes, I am comparing EGS defenders to die-hard Star Citizen backers. Almost verbatim the same cadence of ad hominem attacks because the store itself, much like Star Citizen, is indefensible against legitimate criticisms.
Not one person with a brain would say the Epic store doesn't have problems. legitimate criticism is perfectly fine. Blind Hatred isn't, and that's what's getting on people's nerves. People frothing in the mouth at just the thought of epic and then spreading their insanity on the internet. Also, a bad comparison Star Citizen will never get finished. Compare Epic store's first year to Steam or any other gaming storefront's first year and you would realize it has the same growing pains. In time the problems will get sorted out.

Sep 24, 2019, 05:28
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 05:28
Sep 24, 2019, 05:28

Btw: I'd like to clear up some misconceptions, (including my own).

2k is the label publishing BL, not the company that owns the label. That company is Take Two.

That means when they talk about records and revenue for the label they do not include all games under take two. The best examples are the GTA and RDR franchises which are published under the label Rockstar Games, not 2k.

Which again means that the first franchise to achieve billion-dollar revenues must be another 2k-franchise. I would guess the civ-series, or possibly nba2k.

Sep 24, 2019, 05:01
Kxmode

Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 05:01
Sep 24, 2019, 05:01
 Kxmode

I guess that blew the wind out of the anti-EGS brigade. And it only took one game lmao

Kind of like how the Star Citizen whales make a ton of noise about the game when new trailers debut, amirite?

Yes, I am comparing EGS defenders to die-hard Star Citizen backers. Almost verbatim the same cadence of ad hominem attacks because the store itself, much like Star Citizen, is indefensible against legitimate criticisms.

Sep 24, 2019, 04:57
Kxmode

Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 04:57
Sep 24, 2019, 04:57
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 02:53:
Citizen P wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 16:54:
I think the EGS is a bonerparty for everyone that has a hateon for Steam. For gamers, it's annoying because BL3 is unable to benefit from well-aged and developed friend lists.

Best argument I've heard as to why BL3 suffers for not being on Steam.

People went to the Borderlands 2's Steam forums to discuss issues/report bugs with BL3.

Sep 24, 2019, 03:23
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 03:23
Sep 24, 2019, 03:23

A lot of people in this thread seem to think Gearbox / Epic / Take2 are lying. I can partly understand mistrust of Gearbox and Epic, which are privately held companies, but Take2 is a publicly traded company which discloses financial information on a quarterly basis, and they can't get away with lying.

I don't know exactly when they will release their next report, which will be for jul-aug-sep and thus include the launch of BL3, but I expect November. In it you will be able to see total revenues and use those numbers to verify or falsify claims.

Sep 24, 2019, 02:53
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 02:53
Sep 24, 2019, 02:53

Citizen P wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 16:54:
I think the EGS is a bonerparty for everyone that has a hateon for Steam. For gamers, it's annoying because BL3 is unable to benefit from well-aged and developed friend lists.

Best argument I've heard as to why BL3 suffers for not being on Steam.

Sep 24, 2019, 01:53
Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 24, 2019, 01:53
Sep 24, 2019, 01:53

Like all noisy rebels on the net, this brigade is a very small group. They're just always in your face, giving you the impression that they are major in numbers. That fact is also the phenomenon that enabled the so called "cancel culture" that's the talk of the town anno 2019.
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older