Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Best Games of the Century List

A new article on The Guardian undertakes the chore of ranking the 50 best video games of the 21st century, something sure to generate arguments along with clicks. Here's their take on the top 10:

1. Minecraft (2009)
  2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Dark Souls (2011)
  4. Half-Life 2 (2004)
  5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)
  6. Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
  7. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
  8. Portal 2 (2011)
  9. BioShock (2007)
  10. Bloodborne (2015)

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 23, 2019, 00:08 Ant

Not Portal 1?  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 20, 2019, 20:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh. Well of course nobody on Blues will like this list, but of course they've forgotten Baldur's Gate II, NWN 2, Dragon Age:Origins, Fallout: New Vegas, the Deus Ex reboots... actually what am I even doing, I've given in to their bait!

I formally disagree with this list.

30. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 20, 2019, 07:55 Numinar

I'm an old nerd with opinions raaaaaaaaaaage oh, this isn't so bad. It wouldn't be my list, maybe only 2 or three games on it but it's well reasoned and like all criticism, subjective.

Minecraft (2009) -Respects players ability to work things out. Near limitless ability to modify the world itself.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -Dosn't bite for everyone, but it's learned the lessons of Dark Souls and Witcher 3. Exploration is as open ended, brutal and off-rails awesome at the '86 original. A game that makes empty space work for it.

Dark Souls (2011) - Respects players ability to work things out. Pity abou the MP hacks. I can see why it's some people's GOAT but it aint mine. Maybe a better PC port would have made things different.

Half-Life 2 (2004) - I'm not sure if I ever want to play it again, but I've been through half a dozen times. Very good important game, not sure how much it did other than the face and maybe physics shit that I would say pushed the genre forward, though lenghth, quality and set pieces are to be commended.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015) - Not my jam but I can see why this is the GOAT for some. Combat is still ass, eastern european both sides cynicism just isn't for me and is everything I hate about modern nerd culture.

Grand Theft Auto V (2013) - It sold a lot! Hard for me to put in top 10 though. RDR2 outdoes it for narrative for sure.

Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) - I love this fucking game. Probably the one I've finished the most, on every difficulty setting it's a different kind of fun. Split screen co-op, enemy AI that is fun to fight. Fucking hype. Makes me want to watch Starship troopers and join the space fascist navy!

Portal 2 (2011) - Phenomenal game. I guess it's better than the first, I recommend both to everyone to be played in order. Probably deserves to be here though I doubt I'll ever go back. It's not as dynamic as some of the murder sims here so it's always going to play sam-ish and the jokes are all done, like my beloved lucasarts adventures.

BioShock (2007) - Get it off! A flawed but brilliant game. Playing the remaster reminded me that it's a shadow of the promise of Thief/Ultime Underworld/System shock. But then what the fuck isn't. Newest Prey is a much better one of these.

Bloodborne (2015) - Meh. Faster Darksouls. I can see why people love it, and I'm a big believer in the gift of consolitist inspired "no-quick-save you fucking have to nail this section!" gameplay but I play to relax most the time. Still big respect. I got lost in some sewer and died after some amazing exploration and nailbiting combat but lost so much progress I never want to experience it again. (Unless it gets Sekiro quality PC remake like DS needs)

Ok here is where you fucked up motherfuckers, top ten must haves this century according to all I can think of right now but I'll probably disagree with in the morning or forgot some 400 hours masterpiece but to be the greatest it needs to compare favorably to everything that came after, or at least that's how movies/books/creative peoples/scientists work:

1. Kerbal Space Program
2. Spelunky
3. Into the Breach
4. Factorio
5. Halo 3
6. Outer Wilds
7. BATTLETECH
8. Morrowind
9. Crusader Kings 2
10. Minecraft

Games that should be in top 10 but didn't quite nail it/too much room for improvement/in because my daughter loves playing them as well/idiots couldn't get matchmaking right in AU (PUBG)

Samurai Gunn, PUBG, all the civs, all the Behemoth games since Castle Crashers, mark of the Ninja, Elite, DCS, Chivalry, Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice, Destiny(s), heaps more probably!

29. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 20, 2019, 00:40 christheshitter

For all the suckers who wants to put Witcher 3 in there. It's a flawed game. Bad AI who doesn't react to stealing, patchfinding and shitty combat the rest is good but it's nowhere close to even top 50.

And i can't understand why they put Half Life 2 there when Half Life had an even more impact.

And three shitty consolegames. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Halo and GTAV what were they smoking. A crap top 20 list.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2019, 01:30.

28. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 22:00 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 19:27:
Beamer wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 17:52:
Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 17:03:
This looks like a list put together by a console kid who's only been gaming a few years.

It only looks back a few years...

You know you're old when you're referring to nearly 20 years as "a few".

Yup. But pretty certain he thinks Wolfenstein and Duke belong on the list.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 19:27 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 17:52:
This looks like a list put together by a console kid who's only been gaming a few years.

You know you're old when you're referring to nearly 20 years as "a few".

26. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 17:52 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 17:20 Sepharo

List makes sense to me with the exception of Bloodborne being included in the top 10.

I feel like a lot of these games are stand-ins for their derivatives and sequels too... kind of like when Return of the King won all of those Oscars and you knew it was really for the whole trilogy.

Glad to see BF1942 and COD4:MW representing their respective series.

Primalchrome wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 11:37:
Kind of surprised that World of Warcraft isn't listed...
#13 is a good place for WoW

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 17:07 RedEye9

Blue wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 13:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 13:26:
No Quake, Half Life, Doom, Duke Nukem, Unreal or Counter-Strike in the top 50, blasphemous.

Wrong century.
As always I only read the title and even then I didn't read all of it stopping after "top 50"
Those responsible have been yada yada
list is still a hot mess

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

23. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 17:03 Cutter

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

22. I'll fix this list Sep 19, 2019, 15:18 WitcherOntheProwl

Witcher 3: WH + DLC's
Portal 2
GTA 5
Mass Effect 2
Batman Arkham series
Left4Dead 1 & 2
Uncharted series
Halo: CE
Mass Effect Andromeda (I like it even with it's many problems and lack of content)
Everything else

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2019, 15:35.

21. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 15:07 Tipsy McStagger

How is Dark Souls and Blood Borne above Demon Souls which spawned that genre? Demon souls should be above those two and Witcher 3 I could argue as #2 or #1. Minecraft definitely deserves to be up there @ #1 or #2 because of it's impact on the industry.

Portal should be above Portal 2 as it was the first of it's kind and amazing.

This is a fucking shit list made by some idiot for clicks.

Edit:

The sims/deus ex/The last of us/WoW are all out of the top 10? jesus what a shit list.

20. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 14:08 jdreyer

For movies and TV The Guardian did top 100 lists. Kind of dumb they did only 50 for games. At this point gaming is a bigger industry.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 14:06 jdreyer

KS wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 13:56:
No Quake, Half Life, Doom, Duke Nukem, Unreal or Counter-Strike in the top 50, blasphemous.

Wrong century.

Indeed. Total Annihilation is 22 years old now, too.

Sacrifice squeaks in though. Best game evah.

At least the confused Frankenstein monstrosity of Warcraft III isn't in there.

TA is too old, but an argument could be made for SupCom, which is pretty much the Pinnacle of the RTS genre.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 14:04 Quinn

This list is so fucking far off the mark (imo) that I'm not even going to bother with this further.  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 14:00 jdreyer

Wrong century.

Yeah, I couldn't tell if he was being facetious. Damn you Poe's Law!

16. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 13:58 jdreyer

Fion wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 13:29:
HL2 was great, but it wasn't remotely as influential or groundbreaking as HL1. If your going to have a HL game in the top 10, it should be the first.

This list comes off as if it was put together by a 20'something console gamer. Minecraft at #1? It's the most popular game of all time, but the best ever too?

Halo 1? For console players this was the first real shooter of the modern era on the console. It was like their Doom; revolutionary. For PC gamer's on the other hand, it was a middling title, with generic gameplay, repetitive maps and enemies. The multiplayer was basically Tribes but with smaller maps and fewer players.

And Breath of the Wild over Witcher 3? What kind of idiot made that choice?
Half-Life came out in 98. It's not in contention.

MC is a game I keep coming back to year after year since I bought it almost 10 years ago. It may not be my favorite game but it deserves a place near the top for sure. Also, it ushered in the age of the indie game, from which countless others have spawned.

15. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 13:57 chickenboo

BOTW showed how you can make an open world game designed around interactivity. I think it belongs in the top 10 here. Bloodbourne I'm less certain about since Dark Souls is already on the list. Surely there's a more definitive boundary-pushing 21st century game than Bloodbourne. Chu Chu Rocket? (i jest) what about Shadows of the Collossus, it's both more memorable and more unique. I think HL2 appears here simply because it was the refinement of Valve's story telling philosophy, including the advancement of physics engines. HL2 truly had ground breaking physics. Though, top 10... Portal 2 features the same physics engine and has a superior story and superior gameplay.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 13:56 KS

Wrong century.

Indeed. Total Annihilation is 22 years old now, too.

Sacrifice squeaks in though. Best game evah.

At least the confused Frankenstein monstrosity of Warcraft III isn't in there.

13. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 13:54 edaciousx

bioshock was garbage....  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo