Out of the Blue

It's Thursday, so participants in our Pigskin Pick'em pool should get in their selection for tonight's game. Also, I mentioned the rough start to the week in my fantasy football debut. Sure enough, after scoring the most points in week one by a margin of about 35(!), I came within six points of having the fewest points in week two. I'll have to talk with my players about consistency. Finally, in the world of the actual NFL, my hometown Giants announce they will start rookie Daniel Jones this week, seemingly bringing the Eli Manning era to a conclusion. This was inevitable when they drafted Jones at number six, and I'm okay with it. At 0-2, the team's playoff prospects are already crippled. This is not really Eli's fault, but either way the time is right for the kid to start getting some real game experience under his belt. Like most Giants fans, I have an abiding affection for Eli and his two amazing Super Bowl runs. He is clearly one of the team's all-time greats, and I fully support the idea he belongs in the hall-of-fame. Here's a salute and a thank you to #10.

Pigskin Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Two Amish men escape police after being pulled over for drinking and driving their horse and buggy.
Monstrous 400-pound Feral Hog Invades Texas Golf Course, Is Caught and Tied Alive. Thanks Acleacius.
Impossible Foods is entering the fake meat grocery game.
Science: The end of aging: Are you ready to live to 150?
The World Is ‘Grossly’ Unprepared for the Next Major Pandemic, Watchdog Finds.
Longer-Lasting Avocados Hit the Shelves at Some Kroger’s Stores This Week. Thanks LinkedIn.
Media: What streaming on Twitch actually looks like - Streamer.
Meet the couple with the world's largest Garfield collection.
US Navy confirms previously released UFO videos show 'unidentified aerial phenomena.'
Follow-up: What Really Brought Down the Boeing 737 Max?
The Funnies: xkcd: Ksp 2.
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 22, 2019, 15:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2019, 15:40
Sep 22, 2019, 15:40

Crash Course: How Boeing's Managerial Revolution Created the 737 Max Disaster
Nearly two decades before Boeing’s MCAS system crashed two of the plane-maker’s brand-new 737 MAX jets, Stan Sorscher knew his company’s increasingly toxic mode of operating would create a disaster of some kind. A long and proud “safety culture” was rapidly being replaced, he argued, with “a culture of financial bullshit, a culture of groupthink.”

“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Sep 19, 2019, 23:18
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 23:18
Sep 19, 2019, 23:18

Bard wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 15:05:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 11:45:
Greed brought down the 737, nothing but unbridled greed.
Yep. A conscious decision to sacrifice safety in chase of profits.
Well, greed and hubris. The hubris to think it was okay/just fine/whatever to purposely design a fundamentally flawed plane, attempt to overcome the physical design flaw with a software solution, and then covering it up like nothing was going on.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Sep 19, 2019, 23:09
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 23:09
Sep 19, 2019, 23:09

I think with two Super Bowl MVP's Eli's gonna get in.
"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.

Sep 19, 2019, 17:12
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 17:12
Sep 19, 2019, 17:12
 Cutter

Yeah except 95% of people can't afford to retire much less live to 150. Who's going to support and feed these masses of people when we can't even take care of everyone now.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Sep 19, 2019, 15:05
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 15:05
Sep 19, 2019, 15:05

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 19, 2019, 11:45:

Yep. A conscious decision to sacrifice safety in chase of profits.

The World Is ‘Grossly’ Unprepared for the Next Major Pandemic, Watchdog Finds.
Sep 19, 2019, 12:25
The World Is ‘Grossly’ Unprepared for the Next Major Pandemic, Watchdog Finds. Sep 19, 2019, 12:25
Sep 19, 2019, 12:25

A report compiled by an independent group of experts claims that governments and NGOs are woefully unprepared for the next big pandemic, while subsequently warning of a “very real threat” for a global-scale pandemic to kill 50 million to 80 million people.

That's barely a dent in the human population. Now, a pandemic that wipes out 25% of the earth's human population is worth getting out of bed to attend.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Sep 19, 2019, 11:45
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2019, 11:45
Sep 19, 2019, 11:45

“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older