Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

New Steam Library Beta

Valve announces the promised launch of the beta version of the New Steam Library (shhhhhh!), offering the chance to opt in and check out what's new. This announcement from a couple of weeks ago has an outline of the game plan. Here's word:

Untapped potential already in your library
The new Steam library was built with the belief that our libraries are valuable to us – for some customers, they contain more than fifteen years of games. From your absolute favorite AAA title that all your friends are playing, to that solo indie art project that only you seem to love, your Steam library represents your gaming history.

But, a good library shouldn't just be dusty shelves, it has to be a fun place to explore and find whatever it is that you're looking for. Whether you want to keep up to date about what's happening with your games, find a game to play with your friends, or explore what's happening in your game's community, your library should support you.

Today we want to introduce you to some of the biggest new library features and explain how they’re going help do just that.

A brand new way to look at things
The first thing you'll probably notice is that we're launching a gorgeous new landing page for your library. The new library home gives you quick access to game updates, recently played games, friends activity and your collections.

Stay connected with your games and friends
We're making it easier for you to stay on top of the changes happening to your games and who is playing what. One of things we know you love about Steam is being able to engage directly with your games as they evolve over time. The new library makes it simple to see not just if a game has been updated but, with the new events feature, what that update is and why you should boot it up and give it a shot.

We're also making it easy to see what your friends have been up to and which games they are currently playing. You can find out what games your friends have been playing right on the library home page, and see what games they are currently playing from your games list. With all this new information, you shouldn't miss out on the tantalizing water-cooler conversation about everyone's weekend replay of Portal 2.

Stay in-the-know about your games with Events
Odds are, you've got games in your library that had incredible updates or limited-time events and you never even knew. Well, those days are over. We wanted to strike a balance between an in-library event feature that let you know about all the great things happening with the games you already own without bombarding you with notifications.

Showcasing these updates is valuable to players and also developers. If you’re a dev, it hasn’t been easy to let someone know that you've just shipped a big update to your game, especially if they've moved on to something else. Now it is. Starting today, developers will have access to all new event creation tools that will feed directly into the new library (you can read more about the new event tools here).

Not every event needs to be a big update, though. The new event tool gives you the ability to connect with players and share other things like a developer live-stream or a community challenge, or even highlight interesting fan art.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 23, 2019, 00:18 Ant

Sepharo wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 21:38:
Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 20:47:
You can fully customize the behavior of the scroll wheel itself though. It's pretty much useless outside of work applications these days.

The scroll wheel is?
You don't play PC games or browse the web anymore?
I hate the scroll wheel. I prefer keyboard with arrows and page up/down.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 19, 2019, 10:04 RedEye9

I can beat a mouse wheel user any day of the week with the scroll bar.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

23. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 19, 2019, 07:08 Verno

Oh whoops, I meant the bar when I said useless.  

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

22. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 21:38 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 20:47:
You can fully customize the behavior of the scroll wheel itself though. It's pretty much useless outside of work applications these days.

The scroll wheel is?
You don't play PC games or browse the web anymore?

21. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 20:47 Verno

20. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 16:57 Mr. Tact

Nullity wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 14:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:57:
Scrollbar Luddite here also, hella more efficient than the wheel.
Whaa? Are you sure "efficient" was the term you were looking for?

You may personally prefer the scrollbar, and that's perfectly fine, but using a scrollbar rather than the mouse wheel is objectively less efficient.

You have move the mouse and target the bar (which as already pointed out, isn't always quick and easy with how small they often are these days), then click and drag. Whereas you simply spin the scroll wheel - you don't even need to move the pointer most of the time, as long as it's within the scrollable element.

Usually, the only time I use the scroll bar is on rare occasions when I need fine control to scroll in smaller increments than what the mouse wheel is configured for.
*meh* I am unconvinced. One of the reasons I prefer the scroll bar is the unpredictable results I've gotten from using the mouse wheel.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 14:28 Nullity

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:57:
Whaa? Are you sure "efficient" was the term you were looking for?

You may personally prefer the scrollbar, and that's perfectly fine, but using a scrollbar rather than the mouse wheel is objectively less efficient.

You have move the mouse and target the bar (which as already pointed out, isn't always quick and easy with how small they often are these days), then click and drag. Whereas you simply spin the scroll wheel - you don't even need to move the pointer most of the time, as long as it's within the scrollable element.

Usually, the only time I use the scroll bar is on rare occasions when I need fine control to scroll in smaller increments than what the mouse wheel is configured for.

18. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 09:01 Verno

I think it looks great, and condenses a lot of useful information. Could run better, but it's beta and they definitely put polish on everything.

Not only that, but I imagine that people will still be able to make custom UIs? I use one (mostly just an xml edit IIRC) to disable curators and streams, currently.

I could definitely see them having an option to use the old look, as well.

Yeah I agree. If people just want a text list of their games then look at the quick library view on the left. I'm really happy with the per-game pages though I think they need some way to delineate spoilers from appearing in the community feed.

17. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 08:26 RedEye9

aka_STEVE wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 07:58:
How many people work there ? .. and how much time do they have on their hands ?... and this is the best they can do ?
What would you expect from gamings defacto monopoly.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

16. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 07:58 aka_STEVE

How many people work there ? .. and how much time do they have on their hands ?... and this is the best they can do ?

15. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 07:15 Verno

Midnight wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 02:29:
Looks okay, but it is not designed for people with slower internet speeds (like me). SteamWebHelper was constantly downloading and ignored my download speed limit, so I've reverted back to non-beta.

I'm hoping this change stays optional at least until something better than ADSL2 is available in my area.

If you go to Settings->Library and enable low bandwidth/low performance mode it makes a big difference. It also disables the community tab for people who hate that, you click to load it if you want to see it.

14. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 07:07 Dunkirk

I've got a 2019 MBP with a Vega 20. The videos play as slideshows. The audio is fine; the video is running at about 2 frames a second. Performance of the app on the Mac has always sucked, so what could I expect?

I can't remember the last time I saw that "this application is not optimized" message, so maybe they've finally updated the app to 64 bit? I've never found a good way of watching development of this thing on Mac. Anyone know a good channel for that?

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

13. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 05:44 Quinn

Fucking hysterical. EGS got Gabe off his lazy ass and Steam is finally getting some upgrades, and these updates are clearly inspired by EGS' interface. XD Then again, EGS clearly looked at Uplay/Origins. Big pics. Kids definitely like big pics.  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

12. How is it on the low end, old PCs? Sep 18, 2019, 04:40 Ant

I hope it's still fast? That's a bummer on it hogging bandwidth for slow Internet users.  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

11. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 02:46 Rhett

I think it looks great, and condenses a lot of useful information. Could run better, but it's beta and they definitely put polish on everything.

Not only that, but I imagine that people will still be able to make custom UIs? I use one (mostly just an xml edit IIRC) to disable curators and streams, currently.

I could definitely see them having an option to use the old look, as well.

10. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 02:29 Midnight

Looks okay, but it is not designed for people with slower internet speeds (like me). SteamWebHelper was constantly downloading and ignored my download speed limit, so I've reverted back to non-beta.

I'm hoping this change stays optional at least until something better than ADSL2 is available in my area.

http://www.crimsondark.com

9. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 01:32 jacobvandy

I like more than I dislike. I was never a huge fan of the tile view before, so that will take some getting used to and it is kind of a pain to scroll through up to hundreds of items that way... But the pages for individual games are WAY better now. I'm also liking the context menu for the list on the left; being able to select multiple games and move them into categories without having to bring up another window with stinking checkboxes was actually the one thing I wanted most.

My biggest complaint is the "What's New" section at the top, which seems to be the latest news post(s) from each of your most-played games. Not a terrible idea, but in practice I'm seeing at least as much advertisement for DLC releases as I am information about updates or events. I'd like to disable that, if not have some control over what type of posts and from which games will show up.

8. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 17, 2019, 23:57 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:49:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:32:
SirKnight wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 21:23:
One thing I can't stand, which I also see on some webpages, modern OSes and GOG Galaxy 2, is the scroll bars are extremely skinny. Those are so hard to grab. This trend shows that a lot of people these days that are doing UI must have never read a book or taken a class on UI design, an area that's been studied for decades.
Design has almost entirely moved away from scrollbars. The idea is that your content should not be so long that you have to do more scrolling than your scroll wheel should reasonably accommodate- pagination should be used for large datasets. On the Mac, scrollbars are hidden by default. The only benefit you get with "classic" style scrollbars is that the height of the drag-able area size indicates how much content you have to scroll through. You should rarely, if ever, be trying to drag through content via a scrollbar.

I think that's why scrollbars are so skinny these days. It's a less obtrusive design for something that has limited value.
*meh* I have always preferred interacting with the scroll bar over using my mouse wheel. If I am "weird" for being that way, it would be far from the first time...

7. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 17, 2019, 23:49 Mr. Tact

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 23:32:
One thing I can't stand, which I also see on some webpages, modern OSes and GOG Galaxy 2, is the scroll bars are extremely skinny. Those are so hard to grab. This trend shows that a lot of people these days that are doing UI must have never read a book or taken a class on UI design, an area that's been studied for decades.
Design has almost entirely moved away from scrollbars. The idea is that your content should not be so long that you have to do more scrolling than your scroll wheel should reasonably accommodate- pagination should be used for large datasets. On the Mac, scrollbars are hidden by default. The only benefit you get with "classic" style scrollbars is that the height of the drag-able area size indicates how much content you have to scroll through. You should rarely, if ever, be trying to drag through content via a scrollbar.

I think that's why scrollbars are so skinny these days. It's a less obtrusive design for something that has limited value.
*meh* I have always preferred interacting with the scroll bar over using my mouse wheel. If I am "weird" for being that way, it would be far from the first time...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 17, 2019, 23:32 BIGtrouble77

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo