Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

On more than one occasion over the years the use of R.I.P. to mention a famous person's passing here was questioned, as sometimes there were objections to wishing peace for controversial figures and outright villains. I mentioned this was meant in a more neutral sense, prompting the suggestion of "He's dead, Jim" as an tongue-in-cheek alternative. You may have noticed this changed recently, as it occurred to me that "Obituary" was a simple, straightforward way to list these that would be less objectionable. I don't imagine that wishing R.I.P. to Cokie Roberts would be controversial, but her passing reminded me of my plan to mention this at some point, so there it is. Sympathies to Roberts' friends and family.

Obituary: Legendary journalist and political commentator Cokie Roberts dies at 75.

Sympathetic Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Tetromino Slide. Thanks Boing Boing.
Links: GameStop Somehow Selling Used Version Of Game Day After It Comes Out.
Best Places to Live 2019.
Stories: Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson Will Return For Ghostbusters 2020 Movie.
Why chess wrecks the bodies of grandmasters.
Uhh, Part of the Facility Where Russia Stores Smallpox and Ebola Exploded.
Science: Most massive neutron star ever detected strains the limits of physics.
Vineyards Facing An Insect Invasion May Turn To Aliens For Help. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: Human Cannonball Launch Fail @ Calgary Stampede 2011. You had one job, net guy!
It's Jeopardy!'s Alex Trebek pronouncing "genre" over and over.
Billy Corgan Rides a Roller Coaster.
Follow-ups: Alex Trebek cancer treatment- Jeopardy host says he is undergoing chemotherapy again after "numbers went sky high."
New models show that the earth is warming faster than first thought.
Brain-eating amoeba kills Texas girl Lily Mae Avant after she went swimming in the Brazos River, family confirms.
The Funnies: Crazy — StBeals.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Why chess wrecks the bodies of grandmasters. Sep 17, 2019, 22:32 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 16:55:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 16:45:
Read a different article on the same subject. Pretty amazing how much energy the brain can use up...

So if I think hard enough, I don't have to go to the gym.
Checkmate!

I bet their cortisol levels are through the roof. Not good.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 16:59 Mr. Tact

If your intention is simply burning calories instead of increasing fitness, then yes.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Why chess wrecks the bodies of grandmasters. Sep 17, 2019, 16:55 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 16:45:
Read a different article on the same subject. Pretty amazing how much energy the brain can use up...

So if I think hard enough, I don't have to go to the gym.
Checkmate!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Why chess wrecks the bodies of grandmasters. Sep 17, 2019, 16:45 Mr. Tact

14. Re: Cokie Roberts Sep 17, 2019, 16:42 Mr. Tact

Blue, I think "Obituary" is a good comprise -- bummer on Cokie. From the NPR article on her death: "Born in New Orleans as Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs, she was given the nickname Cokie by her brother, Thomas, who had trouble pronouncing Corinne."

That is certainly a mouthful of a name. Since she commentated on politics, I would guess she isn't universally liked (despite the fact her commentary was most often based on facts and not her personal opinions) but she should be universally respected. Here is a link to the story on NPR.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 15:20 BIGtrouble77

mch wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 11:51:
Dacron wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 11:42:
GameStop Somehow Selling Used Version Of Game Day After It Comes Out.

When did they receive them? Likely the managers/employees copy they played the hell out of since they got it, recovering their money. I'd be surprised if it's in their store inventory, probably return the cash to the employee so the game was cheap for them.

Onion

Despite it being the Onion, this would have been plausible when I worked at Babbages back in the 90's. We didn't sell used games, but the manager might have marked it down if we damaged the game while testing. We were allowed to check out one game at a time and would just shrink wrap them back up when done.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 15:19 Tipsy McStagger

Blue wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 12:17:
Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 11:59:
So how was her name pronounced? Cook-ie? Because it should just have been coke-ie. Who the fuck names their kid cokie?

It is pronounced coke-ie. The origins of the nickname are in the article.

Roberts, born Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs, said she got the name "Cokie" from her older brother, who couldn't pronounce Corinne and dubbed her Cokie instead. The name stuck with her ever since.

I kind of wish she had gone by Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs Roberts. It's got a ring to it.

I read this article then wanted to comment on the name Cokie and how to actually pronounce it.. but i see you have it covered and Blue even said exactly what I thought when I read her full name.. That's one hell of a long name and her parents couldn't decide on a name so they picked all of them...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 14:48 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 14:24:
Browns still looked terrible last night but only good by comparison to the Eagles. Eagles play the Pats next week? That's going to be a gong show.

Jets. The other team in green.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 14:24 Cutter

Browns still looked terrible last night but only good by comparison to the Eagles. Eagles play the Pats next week? That's going to be a gong show.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

9. Re: Brain amoeba Sep 17, 2019, 13:32 Pigeon

In general you should not go swimming in any body of water in Texas east of the hill country until you get to the coast. Even then there are lots of places you should avoid i.e. Galveston. On a related note, do not eat the fish from Houston's bayous, you're gonna have a bad time.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 12:35 jdreyer

Why chess wrecks the bodies of grandmasters.

Fascinating.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 12:34 jdreyer

So how was her name pronounced? Cook-ie? Because it should just have been coke-ie. Who the fuck names their kid cokie?
Obviously not an NPR listener.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 12:17  Blue 

It is pronounced coke-ie. The origins of the nickname are in the article.

Roberts, born Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs, said she got the name "Cokie" from her older brother, who couldn't pronounce Corinne and dubbed her Cokie instead. The name stuck with her ever since.

I kind of wish she had gone by Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs Roberts. It's got a ring to it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 12:16 RedEye9

Want the earth to warm even faster, vote gop.  

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 11:59 Creston

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 11:55 Hoop

Rest In Peace is absurd regardless.
Rest In Peace, like it's one of many options open to them.
Sentimental platitude.

Um .. Behind you...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 11:51 mch

Dacron wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 11:42:

When did they receive them? Likely the managers/employees copy they played the hell out of since they got it, recovering their money. I'd be surprised if it's in their store inventory, probably return the cash to the employee so the game was cheap for them.

Onion

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 11:42 Dacron

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo