Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

It finally dawned on me why I thought all the ducks on the pond out back were females, which it turns out, is not the case. These are mallards, and were all a mix of mottled brown feathers, so I assumed by the absence of any with the distinct light neck band and green head meant they are all ladies. But I now see that some of them are starting to show the band, more green about the head, and more gray in the body. So I think all the males were juveniles, and it just took some time for their adult feathers to emerge. This is something that's far more apparent in the three swans that are the royal family of the pond, as the parents are perfectly white, while their baby is much darker, but getting lighter all the time. It's been fun watching them grow up, and I'll miss them when they fly off.

Obituary: Ric Ocasek Dead: The Cars Frontman Dies.

Ducky Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Shuffle World.
Links: What it was like to fly the baddest airplane the world has ever known.
Stories: This med student was given last rites before finding a treatment that saved his life. His method could help millions. Thanks RedEye9.
The 'world's safest' bike helmet has its own airbag.
Science:
Thanks Max
Time seems to accelerate as we get older, but there’s a tested way to tap the brakes.
Your Bones Secrete a Hormone That Can Make You Panic, Scientists Find.
Why people gain weight as they get older.
AI can gauge the risk of dying from heart conditions.
Media: The Terminator with Half-Life SFX (Club scene). Thanks S D.
Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal - October 7 - adult swim. Thanks Cutter.
Amazing Art 30000 Matches Powered Jet Truck. Thanks Digg.
Avengers: Infinity War, Endgame are almost better performed by high school dancers. Thanks Neutronbeam.
The Funnies: Goofy Gods.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 17:08 RedEye9

JSP wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 17:02:
Malwarebytes detected a Trojan on your site. Please look into the issue.
A rogue ad would be my guess.
https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/https/www.bluesnews.com
virustotal.com checked clean

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 17:02 JSP

Malwarebytes detected a Trojan on your site. Please look into the issue.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2019, 03:28 jdreyer

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal - October 7 - adult swim.

All those dinosaurs? My five year old is gonna love this!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 20:11 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 13:43:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 12:22:
Trump says U.S. 'locked and loaded' to respond, Iran calls U.S. claims 'maximum lies'

I imagine Trumpco will be declaring war on Iran sometime within the next year. My bet is probably 6 or so months out from the election. If a recession hits the US it's on for sure. Meantime they'll keep building the case for war so they can say, 'We really didn't want to do this but they left us no choice.'
Cannot dispute this analysis.
I want to say even Trump isn't that stupid, but I know it isn't true. I also want to say, "Let's hope he doesn't find a reason to do it" -- except that would probably mean his re-election was looking like a sure thing, otherwise he has a reason. Besides it is not like he particularly needs one...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 20:03 1badmf

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 17:58:
The risks at Yellowstone apply to park employees as much as to visitors. Doss had got a horrific sense of that in his first week on the job five years earlier. Late one night, three young summer employees were engaging in an illicit activity known as “hot-potting”—swimming or basking in warm pools. Though the park, for obvious reasons, doesn’t publicize it, not all the pools at Yellowstone are dangerously hot. Some are extremely agreeable to lie in, and it was the habit of some of the summer employees to have a dip late at night, even though it was against the rules to do so. Foolishly, the threesome had failed to take a torch, which was extremely dangerous because much of the soil around the warm pools is crusty and thin and one can easily fall through into a scalding vent below. In any case, as they made their way back to their dorm, they came across a stream that they had had to leap over earlier. They backed up a few paces, linked arms and, on the count of three, took a running jump.
In fact, it wasn’t the stream at all. It was a boiling pool. In the dark they had lost their bearings. None of the three survived.

Bill Bryson. A Short History of Nearly Everything

you don't even have to look that far back. from 2016, a man falls into one of the hot springs and dissolves:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/yellowstone-man-dissolved-trnd/index.html

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 18:09  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 18:05:
Shock wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 16:27:
Blue, are you able to tell individual ducks apart? And if so, have you named any of them yet?

Quackers, Honkers, Paddler, etc. are good sorts of names for ducks.

I can tell a few of them apart.

MrsBlue came up with a set of names for the main group of 13. The seven dwarves, Huey, Dewey, Louie, Tic, Tack, and Toe. But there were 21 of them this morning, so we need more names.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 18:05 Cutter

Shock wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 16:27:
Blue, are you able to tell individual ducks apart? And if so, have you named any of them yet?

Quackers, Honkers, Paddler, etc. are good sorts of names for ducks.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 17:58 RedEye9

The risks at Yellowstone apply to park employees as much as to visitors. Doss had got a horrific sense of that in his first week on the job five years earlier. Late one night, three young summer employees were engaging in an illicit activity known as “hot-potting”—swimming or basking in warm pools. Though the park, for obvious reasons, doesn’t publicize it, not all the pools at Yellowstone are dangerously hot. Some are extremely agreeable to lie in, and it was the habit of some of the summer employees to have a dip late at night, even though it was against the rules to do so. Foolishly, the threesome had failed to take a torch, which was extremely dangerous because much of the soil around the warm pools is crusty and thin and one can easily fall through into a scalding vent below. In any case, as they made their way back to their dorm, they came across a stream that they had had to leap over earlier. They backed up a few paces, linked arms and, on the count of three, took a running jump.
In fact, it wasn’t the stream at all. It was a boiling pool. In the dark they had lost their bearings. None of the three survived.

Bill Bryson. A Short History of Nearly Everything

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2019, 17:51 1badmf

JTW wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 17:31:
On mallards, the bright green/gray coloration is seasonal. They're colorful in the winter and spring, but molt and take on more subtle colors after breeding season.

There are other ways to tell them apart, assuming that they're pure mallard. First, males have yellow bills; females have orange/brown bills. Males also have a softer voice, while the females have a very harsh, loud quack.

so daffy was a female mallard in between mating seasons. sufferin' succotash!

12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2019, 17:31 JTW

On mallards, the bright green/gray coloration is seasonal. They're colorful in the winter and spring, but molt and take on more subtle colors after breeding season.

There are other ways to tell them apart, assuming that they're pure mallard. First, males have yellow bills; females have orange/brown bills. Males also have a softer voice, while the females have a very harsh, loud quack.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 17:08 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 14:44:
Necrophob wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 14:26:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2016, 13:07:
Man's body 'dissolved' by Yellowstone hot spring after seeking place to swim.

Hard to believe an entire human body could dissolve in a pool of water in 24 hours. Crazy.

Also, too: Darwin award winner.

When I visited Yellowstone, the amount of stupidity on display from other visitors was amazing. Walking too close to buffalo, touching boiling water (with a sign nearby in multiple languages saying water was scalding hot)...I picked up a book in the gift shop called Death in Yellowstone. Good read. This guy certainly wasn't the first person to hop in a hot spring.
This was not just hot water.
Acid mud pots and fumaroles, on the other hand, are rich in sulfuric acid and have a pH as low as 2. http://www.livescience.com/18813-yellowstone-hot-water-source.html

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 16:27 Shock

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 15:32 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 15:09:
Two men face charges for getting too close to Old Faithful at Yellowstone National Park "The tourists could have been seriously burned, or worse, if the boiling hot water had erupted." Apparently some people don't get the memo until they're dead.

They were just trying to win a Darwin Award. They heard winning awards is cool.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 15:09 Kxmode

Two men face charges for getting too close to Old Faithful at Yellowstone National Park "The tourists could have been seriously burned, or worse, if the boiling hot water had erupted." Apparently some people don't get the memo until they're dead.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 13:45 jdreyer

Obituary: Ric Ocasek Dead: The Cars Frontman Dies.

Bye bye, Love.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 13:43 jdreyer

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 12:34:
I wonder how much endless war the American people can afford?

Quite a bit, apparently. Economy keeps humming along.

Remember that the 2008 crash had nothing to do with the war.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 13:43 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 12:22:
Trump says U.S. 'locked and loaded' to respond, Iran calls U.S. claims 'maximum lies'

I imagine Trumpco will be declaring war on Iran sometime within the next year. My bet is probably 6 or so months out from the election. If a recession hits the US it's on for sure. Meantime they'll keep building the case for war so they can say, 'We really didn't want to do this but they left us no choice.'

Cannot dispute this analysis.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 13:42 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 12:17:
Curious to see what happens with the Browns tonight.

Code brown?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 12:34 Bill Borre

I wonder how much endless war the American people can afford?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2019, 12:22 Cutter

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo