Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Steam Top 10

Valve reports the a new list of the 10 bestselling titles on Steam. Or eight titles, a hardware package, and an eSports pass. Here it is:

1. StarLadder 2019 Berlin CS:GO Major Championship Viewer Pass + 3 Souvenir Tokens
  2. GreedFall
  3. MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
  4. Gears 5
  5. Valve Index VR Kit
  6. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  7. NBA 2K20
  8. Remnant: From the Ashes
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Total War: WARHAMMER II - The Hunter & The Beast

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 23:10 Orogogus

MattyC wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 05:56:
Orogogus wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 18:29:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 17:09:
Greedfall outsells Gears? Didn't see that coming.
it's being rated poorly because of technical issues. So I think it's lucky to be #4.

I would think this must mean it is selling quite well. I can't think of any reason to get it on Steam at all.

What technical issues? I haven't found any yet. It runs remarkably well on my ancient setup (i7 930, 16GB, 1060 GTX 6GB VRAM)even though it says its unsupported (I think that is just because I don't use the "GeForce experience" or whatever for my drivers though, I'll pass on beta drivers).

Lucky to be #4 on Steam, while selling quite well elsewhere, yes.

A quick look at the negative reviews on Steam suggests connectivity/server issues at launch and sound issues. And I guess a lot of people are unhappy about microtransactions for cosmetics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 12:24 peteham

Beamer wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 10:40:
Peteham made it sound terrible. You made it sound hysterical.
I'm right, of course

Seriously though, I guess YMMV, as always.

Personally, I don't enjoy it at all and would much rather shoot, chainsaw and stab things than bob around and be an ammo donkey and buffbot for my friends. Other than that, you get to zap things for... some... effect.. But it's a close proximity auto-aim/just-hold-LMB thing that requires zero aim or skill and isn't even remotely fun to use. At no point do you feel like you're contributing as much to the combat action as the real players. Scripted set pieces where the droid has to push a button to lower a bridge etc. doesn't really count. And it has that added bit of suck because you know your friends are having a lot more fun than you are.

On the ability tree side, you can equip two abilities at once, allowing you to do stuff like stimming your friends, pulse to highlight enemies and so on. These skills are on a cooldown of approx 60 seconds.

There may be more interesting unlocks later on, but for at least the first two chapters, which is what I've seen of the game so far, it's seriously bland.

Speaking of skill tree unlocks, to actually get them you need to be actively looking for components (basically collectibles). Not sure if the total component pickups exceeds what you need to max the skill tree before the end, but based on the initial supply I'm guessing you have to actually find them all - something nobody's going to do on a first (and for most; only) playthrough.

Kinda hoping the bot blows up and you get to play three gears for the remaining chapters or something but I'm fairly certain the bot is there to stay for the reasons stated when Gears 4 didn't have more than two player co-op (more actual players requiring too many cover spots and so on).

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2019, 12:36.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 10:40 Beamer

Quinn wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 10:10:
peteham wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 09:58:
Word of warning to potential Gears 5 co-op players: It says 3 player campaign co-op on the box, but the last guy actually has to play the bot, as we found out... The bot is essentially a glorified spectator, so it's more like 2.5 player co-op. People following the series probably knew this already but to us it was a bit disappointing.

Not a huge deal for the price of entry if using the gamepass, and you can take turns on robot-duty between chapters or whatever, but, yeah, if you're three people someone's going to have less fun than the others.

Then again, the bot is the only "character" with RPG elements attached to them. You can blind enemies, taze them out of their hiding spots, grab special guns from the battleground during battle for your team, cloak your team, etc. In fact, there's much more dynamic gameplay as Jack. And during dark scenes you're the flashlight -- which could make for hilarious and annoying situations

Peteham made it sound terrible. You made it sound hysterical.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 10:10 Quinn

peteham wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 09:58:
Word of warning to potential Gears 5 co-op players: It says 3 player campaign co-op on the box, but the last guy actually has to play the bot, as we found out... The bot is essentially a glorified spectator, so it's more like 2.5 player co-op. People following the series probably knew this already but to us it was a bit disappointing.

Not a huge deal for the price of entry if using the gamepass, and you can take turns on robot-duty between chapters or whatever, but, yeah, if you're three people someone's going to have less fun than the others.

Then again, the bot is the only "character" with RPG elements attached to them. You can blind enemies, taze them out of their hiding spots, grab special guns from the battleground during battle for your team, cloak your team, etc. In fact, there's much more dynamic gameplay as Jack. And during dark scenes you're the flashlight -- which could make for hilarious and annoying situations

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 09:58 peteham

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 06:46 Quinn

MattyC wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 05:56:
it's being rated poorly because of technical issues. So I think it's lucky to be #4.

I would think this must mean it is selling quite well. I can't think of any reason to get it on Steam at all.

What technical issues? I haven't found any yet. It runs remarkably well on my ancient setup (i7 930, 16GB, 1060 GTX 6GB VRAM)even though it says its unsupported (I think that is just because I don't use the "GeForce experience" or whatever for my drivers though, I'll pass on beta drivers).

I only picked it up because it was free with gamepass, so I never read many reviews. I went in with low expectations technically, but just fine here so far.

Gears 5 runs flawlessly on my GTX 1070 Ti and same for my friend's year older and cheaper AMD card (can't recall which one exactly). It is very well optimized. Sick and tired of kids playing on a potato complaining about performance.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 05:56 MattyC

I only picked it up because it was free with gamepass, so I never read many reviews. I went in with low expectations technically, but just fine here so far.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 00:08 Parallax Abstraction

The vast majority of Gears 5 players are likely playing it with Game Pass, which doesn't count as a Steam sale.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 19:04 HorrorScope

Why pay $60 for a 15 hour SP game, unless MP Gears is really your thing?  

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 18:36 ColoradoHoudini

I got Gears with the pass, which I believe makes me not count against this metric, right?

There has to be a lot of us who did this.

btw- I realized I hate cover shooters.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 18:33 jacobvandy

I would think it's because you can pay $10 a month to Microsoft to play Gears 5 and whatever other Xbox ports you want. Makes $60 up-front a bit of a hard sell for people, especially when you know it'll be discounted within a month or two.  

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 18:29 Orogogus

Gears is sold on the Microsoft Store, too, and I think there was some deal that made their game pass a good value if you were paying for an Xbox Live subscription. Plus the older games aren't on Steam, so they don't have much of a brand-loyal base on the PC. On top of which, it's being rated poorly because of technical issues. So I think it's lucky to be #4.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 17:41 Zord

Greedfall and Monster Hunter outselling Gears speaks to low sales volume overall, which must make BL3 not being on the list sting all the more... and as Gears is an Unreal Engine game Epic is still getting a cut.  

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 17:09 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2019, 12:38 HorrorScope

Ohh tokens!  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo