Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch

A tweet from Randy Pitchford has word from the Gearbox boss on the success of the launch of Borderlands 3, saying, "Fun Fact: On PC, the data is that the launch day peak concurrent players of Borderlands 3 is about *twice-as-high* as the all time peak concurrent players of Borderlands 2. WOW! You guys are great!" As was noted yesterday, this has not been without its performance issues, however, so DSOGaming has a handy roundup of tips on how to minimize or even eliminate stuttering issues that some players are suffering:

The first thing you need to do is close the Epic Games Store launcher after going in-game. A great number of gamers has reported that this has resolved their stuttering issues with Borderlands 3. Furthermore, online functionalities are working properly so we suggest doing so if you have any stutters.

Some other users claimed that they were able to reduce the stutters they were experiencing by setting Texture Streaming on Low or Medium. On the other hand, some other users stated that they were able to reduce the stuttering issues by using a previous version of the GeForce drivers. For what its worth, we were able to play the game smoothly with the latest 436.30 drivers. While there were some minor frame pacing issues, our G-Sync monitor was able to smooth out the experience. Still, we experienced less frame pacing spikes when we closed the Epic Games Store launcher.

After taking ages to install, we were able to run the game and we did not experience any stuttering issues on our Intel i9 9900K with our NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080Ti. As said, we did close Epic Games Store when we went in-game. So yeah, it appears that this solution can work on certain systems. Its also worth mentioning that weve installed the game on an SSD and were using 16GB of RAM at 3600Mhz.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 17, 2019, 21:51 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 23:16:
Ladron3dfx wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 04:06:
Borderlands players are playing Borderlands 3 at this very moment, not whining about how BL3 did not appear on their favorite DRM based subscription service in which it is only a six month exclusive. Yet, BL1 & BL2 are eternal permanent exclusives to the Steam service and chained to Steamworks.

Steam is becoming less of a requirement to play PC games, I think that's a good thing....for all of us.

30,000+ games on Steam now, 95% is pure hot garbage. Rape Day & AIDS Sim clones, crypto mining malware embedded in games, XXX pron hentai games for losers. What a joke!
Shame steam turned to shit in that area.

Be Forewarned: If You Don't WORSHIP at the Steam altar you might hurt some feelz around here. Grin

What's it like to think in absolutes? In other news the Epic Game Store is deleting save data because you know, Cloud Saves was listed as a shipped "feature."

You seriously have NOTHING to defend that trash heap of a store with so you stooped to ad hominems.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 17, 2019, 09:54 Verno

Randy Pitchford is such a great source of accurate, unbiased information after all bwuahaha.  

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

53. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 16, 2019, 23:16 RedEye9

Borderlands players are playing Borderlands 3 at this very moment, not whining about how BL3 did not appear on their favorite DRM based subscription service in which it is only a six month exclusive. Yet, BL1 & BL2 are eternal permanent exclusives to the Steam service and chained to Steamworks.

Steam is becoming less of a requirement to play PC games, I think that's a good thing....for all of us.

30,000+ games on Steam now, 95% is pure hot garbage. Rape Day & AIDS Sim clones, crypto mining malware embedded in games, XXX pron hentai games for losers. What a joke!
Shame steam turned to shit in that area.

Be Forewarned: If You Don't WORSHIP at the Steam altar you might hurt some feelz around here. Grin

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

52. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 16, 2019, 21:59 Kxmode

Your signature and avatar image sum up who you are. You not capable of expressing an unbiased opinion about Steam.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

51. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 16, 2019, 21:52 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 21:24:
"Fun Fact: On PC, the data is that the launch day peak concurrent players of Borderlands 3 is about *twice-as-high* as the all time peak concurrent players of Borderlands 2. WOW! You guys are great!"
Impressive numbers, considering it ain't on steam yet. It's obvious not being on steam didn't amount to much since the majority of gamers don't care about storefront colors.

Or there's a sizable number of EGS customer that purchased (40% don't have Steam installed likely consisting of users from other platforms and the anti-Steam crowd). By not offering BL3 to the larger Steam user base, that's marred BL3's success.

50. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 16, 2019, 04:06 Ladron3dfx

Steamworks

49. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 21:24 RedEye9

"Fun Fact: On PC, the data is that the launch day peak concurrent players of Borderlands 3 is about *twice-as-high* as the all time peak concurrent players of Borderlands 2. WOW! You guys are great!"
Impressive numbers, considering it ain't on steam yet. It's obvious not being on steam didn't amount to much since the majority of gamers don't care about storefront colors.

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

48. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 20:59 Kxmode

Slick wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 21:22:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 17:47:
Fun Fact: On PC, the data is that the launch day peak concurrent players of Borderlands 3 is about *twice-as-high* as the all time peak concurrent players of Borderlands 2.

Because there's more people today who played BLs 1 and 2. Obviously the peak concurrency is going to be higher. That's not an indicator for the game's success, Ditchford.

Wait, what? No. What?

So what is your metric for of "success" then? What unit of measurement are you using, also, do the constants "more=bad" and "less=good" exist in your universe?

They went exclusive on a platform with significantly fewer users. EGS with its ~90-95 million registered accounts total and Steam with their ~90+ million actives users per month (and over a billion registered accounts). I'll leave you to guess the math on how many EGS accounts are active. I promise it's nowhere in the neighbor of Steam's 90 million monthly (we can wait while you crunch the numbers).

Additionally, BL1 and 2 launched in 2009 and 2012, respectively. Twitch began in 2011. Twitch took a few years to reach maturity. Today it is an essential ingredient to marketing video games before and after launch.

The above are the variables Pitchford's tweets don't take into account.

The point is, mathematically, when you combine...

- Today's Twitch,
- Borderlands overall hype (third in series and established IP), and
- Fewer EGS accounts than Steam

BL3's success is substantially less than had it launched on both Steam and Epic coupled with today's Twitch. That's my metric for "success."

TL;DR - A BIG piece of the pie is missing, namely Steam.

Did that clarify?

47. Re: Sep 15, 2019, 19:39 jdreyer

intermarer wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 12:01:
Is this one of those virtue signaling, sjw bullshit games?

I have no idea what this question is asking.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

46. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 19:12 Dacote

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 19:09:
Tencent who we know wants to dominate global gaming to themselves.
So they want to be Steam.
Got woke.

45. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 19:09 HorrorScope

Zord wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 13:32:
@HorrorScope That wasn't about exclusives which are on every store front. It was about UWP and related tech MSFT was pushing at the time, which would of made Microsoft the sole distributor, like the Apple App Store. MSFT relented and now has a higher market cap for it

@Rhett I haven't had any issues with the game at all, launcher running or not

Right, I totally know that, but there are similarities. MS is trying to hog it all for themselves (they actually haven't done that still do date) and then Sweeney releases an exclusive Store funded by Tencent who we know wants to dominate global gaming to themselves. Wake up.

44. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 16:22 Creston

fawker wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 14:49:
Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 14:32:
Zord wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 08:53:
Hm, BL3 makes (great) use of Epic's Unreal Engine, as do many other games. If it ever does release on Steam, will still launch through the EGS launcher.

I don't think it'll use the EGS launcher, but here's an interesting question: Will they rejigger the mp to use Steamworks, and split the Steam and EGS userbase, or will they somehow make the Steam version use Epic's matchmaking?

Pitchford has already confirmed it would be cross compatible if you purchased it elsewhere. It was a on twitter, don't have the URL atm.

So it will connect to Epic's matchmaking then, I would think? Unless Epic is not doing the matchmaking, and it's all handled by 2K.

43. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 14:49 fawker

Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 14:32:
Hm, BL3 makes (great) use of Epic's Unreal Engine, as do many other games. If it ever does release on Steam, will still launch through the EGS launcher.

I don't think it'll use the EGS launcher, but here's an interesting question: Will they rejigger the mp to use Steamworks, and split the Steam and EGS userbase, or will they somehow make the Steam version use Epic's matchmaking?

Pitchford has already confirmed it would be cross compatible if you purchased it elsewhere. It was a on twitter, don't have the URL atm.

42. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 14:40 Zord

Good point and I think it depends on the service integration with the launcher as that matures. Starting to wonder if it will even release on Steam as Epic gives 88/12 *and* waves the Unreal Engine licensing fee for games on EGS, which the matchmaking is using.

I guess that is up to 2K, though definitely an interesting and open question. Sounds like competition in the marketplace to me.

41. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 14:32 Creston

40. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 14:07 Nailbender

Huh? Many, many other games use Epic's Unreal Engine, a lot of them are on Steam and don't even once mention EGS.
Where does that statement come from?

39. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 13:32 Zord

@HorrorScope That wasn't about exclusives which are on every store front. It was about UWP and related tech MSFT was pushing at the time, which would of made Microsoft the sole distributor, like the Apple App Store. MSFT relented and now has a higher market cap for it

@Rhett I haven't had any issues with the game at all, launcher running or not

38. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 12:31 HorrorScope

SabreT wrote on Sep 15, 2019, 06:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 20:41:
Borderlands 3 spent good money on getting a ton of people streaming I see.

Realy I didn't see more than a hand full of streamers with the Sponsored tag. Most just got the early access key's that any other modern game devs give to streamers. Could it be that it's just a fun game... HEAVENS NO!!!

What streamers have stood up to EGS? Has there been any decent to big sized names? Or are they just whores? I think we know that answer. So they play along like there isn't anything going on. I dunno...

My main gripe beyond the normal exclusive, is Sweeney's words to the public. He warned us, run scared MS is going to wall their garden, they didn't and who did? Sweeney. Project 101.

Yes I do look forward to playing BL3, I wouldn't buy it until 50% off anyway no matter what store front, I'm up to my eyeballs and one things with these Subs is I get to play new games like Anthem and Gears 5, for example that I wouldn't normally for at least 6 months. No wonder a lot of gamers are angry, the games really really are better with a good number of patches, I typically don't feel this, but when new I do, it does raise tensions a bit. So that sticks out pretty good to me and I wonder long-term how this plays out as more and more get that. Subs though are super cheap.

37. Re: Sep 15, 2019, 12:01 intermarer

Is this one of those virtue signaling, sjw bullshit games? Framerate and such can be fixed, but I just have no patience for the sjw nonsense anymore.  

36. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 15, 2019, 11:39 JTW

FWIW, I run the thing with great performance on a mix of high and ultra settings at 1080. My system is an i5 4670k and 8 gigs of RAM (so horribly out of date) and and RTX 2060 (new and fast.) That suggests to me that this system is more dependent on video cards than anything, as most games choke on my CPU and RAM long before the video card can compensate.  

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo