Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Borderlands 3 Released

2K Games and Gearbox Software announce that Borderlands 3 is now available worldwide for Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. The PC edition can be found on the Epic Games Store, bundled with a free copy of the Fortnite Psycho Bundle Pack. They celebrate the news with a new music video featuring a performance from The Heavy along with gameplay footage and A Letter from Borderlands 3's Creative Director. There are apparently some performance issues present upon launch, which are discussed in a Problem/Bug megathread on Reddit where you may find solutions. Here's the presser:

Today, 2K and Gearbox Software are proud to announce that Borderlands® 3, the next installment in the award-winning, genre-defining shooter-looter series, is now available worldwide on PlayStation® 4, Xbox One, and PC via the Epic Games Store.

This release marks the culmination of nearly five years of development and re-establishes the series as a true genre leader, with best-in-class shooting, deeper-than-ever customization, irreverent humor and memorable characters, and intuitive, innovative cooperative multiplayer gameplay. To see the official cinematic launch trailer, please click here.

“There is something special about seeing an idea start and watching that idea go through multiple people who each contribute their effort and their talent to make the idea a reality,” wrote Borderlands 3 Creative Director Paul Sage in an open letter to fans published earlier today. “I cannot stress enough how the team has come together to make sure we have produced a worthy successor to Borderlands 2, but I hope more than just feeling the team’s passion, more than getting to experience the next Borderlands, you get to sit down, laugh a little, and just have a damn good time.”

Early critics agree, Borderlands is back and better than ever. IGN awarded Borderlands 3 a 9/10, noting “its arsenal of fun is unmatched.” Meristation proclaimed the game is “destined to become a classic,” while Shacknews deemed it “an absolute masterpiece.” Destructoid described Borderlands 3 as “a hallmark of excellence,” and USgamer called the game “an absolute blast.”

The franchise, which combines the exhilarating action of a first-person shooter with the rich progression and loot systems of a role-playing game, has sold-in more than 48 million units worldwide to date. The most popular title in the series – Borderlands 2 – still draws in more than one million unique monthly users more than six years after the game’s initial release in 2012.

Borderlands 3 expands and improves many of the key features that made the series a critical and commercial success, while also introducing innovative new concepts to its proven formula, including:

• A Mayhem-Fueled Thrill Ride: The fanatical Calypso Twins have united the bandit clans and are closing in on the galaxy’s ultimate power. Only you, a thrill-seeking Vault Hunter, have the arsenal and allies to take them down. Uncover the rewarding mysteries, memorable inhabitants, and deep lore of the extensive Borderlands narrative universe.
  • Your Vault Hunter, Your Playstyle: Become one of four extraordinary new Vault Hunters, each with unique abilities and playstyles, deep skill trees, and tons of personalization options.
  • Lock, Load, and Loot: With multiple distinct weapons manufacturers, a revolutionary content generation system, and special legendary drops to uncover, your ever-improving arsenal comes with near-infinite possibilities. Shotguns with bullet shields? Rifles with multiple elemental damage types? SMGs that grow legs and chase down enemies? All of the above!
  • New Borderlands: Discover new worlds beyond Pandora, each featuring unique environments to explore and enemies to destroy. Tear through hostile deserts, battle your way across war-torn cityscapes, navigate deadly bayous, and more!
  • Quick & Seamless Co-Op Action: With the new “level-sync” system, the experience seamlessly scales for each individual player. That means you can play with anyone at any time online or in split-screen co-op, regardless of your level or mission progress. Plus, when you take down enemies and challenges as a team, “loot instancing” ensures you reap rewards that are yours alone – no one misses out on loot.

With multiple editions chock-full of digital bonus content, fans can pick the loot-splosion that’s right for them: the Borderlands 3 Standard Edition is available for $59.99 and includes the base game. The Borderlands 3 Deluxe Edition is available for $79.99 and includes the base game, as well as the following bonus digital content: Retro Cosmetic Pack, Neon Cosmetic Pack, Gearbox Cosmetic Pack, Toy Box Weapon Pack, and XP & Loot Drop Boost Mods.

Finally, the Borderlands 3 Super Deluxe Edition is available for $99.99 and includes all the bonus digital content of the Deluxe Edition plus the Borderlands 3 Season Pass, which includes: four (4) campaign DLC packs featuring new stories, missions and challenges; Butt Stallion weapon skin, weapon trinket, and grenade mod. Please note that starting September 17, 2019, the digital version of Borderlands 3 Super Deluxe Edition will update to the full MSRP of $119.99.

View
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

87. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 17, 2019, 11:06 Beamer

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 10:27:
Know what else is bad for the consumer? Monopolies like Steam.

It's a good thing Steam isn't a monopoly then.

It's significantly more of one than EGS. Not that I'm particularly advocating either is, but it's more of one.

Steam has, what, 70% of the PC retail market? That makes it close to a monopoly. EGS has something like 0.5%. Yes, they have some exclusive games. Fewer, I'd point out, than Steam does, but they have some. However, a monopoly isn't based upon one product, but one category. Walmart is the only place to buy Great Value brand products But they're not a monopoly - you can buy the same stuff Great Value makes anywhere. Netflix is about to be the only place you can stream Friends, but you can stream TV shows in dozens of places.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

86. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 17, 2019, 10:27 Verno

It's a good thing Steam isn't a monopoly then.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

85. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 16, 2019, 18:56 FloorPie

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 17:15:
If you don't want to buy it on EGS, buy it here. I've had people tell me Steam isn't a monopoly, despite so many games using it exclusively, because you can buy it elsewhere (then install it on Steam.)

BL3 is on the Humble Store. Problem solved.

Yes, this is known by anyone following this nonsense and game sales in general (see isthereanydeal dot com). So its nice that they sell some of their games on humble and greenman gaming now. Note it seems to be mostly the big AAA games. Still a monopoly like you claim Steam is though. So, 3 stores to choose from for Epic vs 5-10 for most major Steam games.

I might actually buy Satisfactory if it was available through humble.

84. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 15, 2019, 21:24 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 14:47:
Red886 wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 14:32:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 13:44:
Icewind wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 14:22:
"but no one gets mad when a game is exclusive to steam!"

Yeah, because Steam doesn't make a publisher go exclusive to them. Any publisher can take their game to GOG, or Windows Store, or itch.io, or whatever. Steam doesn't dangle money in front of a dev and tell them "If you take this you can't go anywhere else"

In your defense of Epic Game Store, I'd like you folks to be a little less facetious.

They don't have to dangle money because they're by far the biggest. That's Epic's entire point. PC game sales needs better competition. As for those competitors you mentioned, they've been competing with Valve for years and making no headway.

except this competition is bad for the consumer.

are you not consumer too?

You're a reasonable person jdreyer. Let's be honest here, EGS exclusivity is a monopoly. You can't replace one monopoly with another monopoly. That's doesn't help consumers. What we need is an equal to Steam. I would wager companies like Amazon and Google could do it. Amazon owns Twitch and Amazon Games Studio. If they ever got serious about turning Twitch in a Steam... wow. That's would be serious competition. Also, Google has Stadia that could compete at a cloud-stream level.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

83. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 15, 2019, 02:04 Red886

Yeah, because Steam doesn't make a publisher go exclusive to them. Any publisher can take their game to GOG, or Windows Store, or itch.io, or whatever. Steam doesn't dangle money in front of a dev and tell them "If you take this you can't go anywhere else"

In your defense of Epic Game Store, I'd like you folks to be a little less facetious.

They don't have to dangle money because they're by far the biggest. That's Epic's entire point. PC game sales needs better competition. As for those competitors you mentioned, they've been competing with Valve for years and making no headway.

so please enlighten us as to how exactly is STEAM bad for consumers?

(we already have a long list of reasons why EGS is bad.)

82. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 14, 2019, 18:08 Kxmode

Either you're okay with a big-name publisher choosing to go exclusive or you're okay with them taking a bribe to go exclusive. For me, the lesser of two evils clearly excludes the bribery route.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

81. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 18:07 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 17:15:
If you don't want to buy it on EGS, buy it here. I've had people tell me Steam isn't a monopoly, despite so many games using it exclusively, because you can buy it elsewhere (then install it on Steam.)

Oh noes, what am I supposed to do with all my pent-up teen angst and faux outrage now?

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

80. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 17:15 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

79. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 16:20 FloorPie

If Steam is a monopoly then so is Epic with their exclusives. At least there is price competition on Steam these days.

78. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 16:06 RedEye9

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 13:41:
Sometimes the game feels laggy in singleplayer? Is it always online?
You can play it off-line.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

77. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 14:47 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

76. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 14:44 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 01:52:
Bhruic wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 21:58:
Word is that it's the Denuvo copyprotection... Apparently it has to communicate with their servers in order to be constantly decrypting the executable.

Hilariously stupid fake news - Borderlands 3 can be played offline without having a constant internet connection. But I guess pirates will start dirty rumors whenever they fail picking a lock early.

Any port in a storm. (Old pirate saying) Pirate

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

75. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 14:43 jdreyer

Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 01:19:
I'm having so much fun. Such nostalgia. It's like playing b1 with better graphics, better story, better missions, and added features. Love it! (got to play it co-op)

Please don't *enjoy* the game. That would be unseemly.

I'm also looking forward to picking this up, just not right now.

74. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 14:40 jdreyer

Bhruic wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 21:58:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 21:19:
Creston wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 20:45:
ventry wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 19:57:
Been reading reports of this game uploading at a constant 2Mb/s during play due to the new Denuvo being used. If there is any deviation or interruption the game folds.

Anyone confirm??

You're the second guy in the thread to mention this, so it's certainly a point of worry.

Are they using us to seed others downloading?

Word is that it's the Denuvo copyprotection... Apparently it has to communicate with their servers in order to be constantly decrypting the executable.

Supposedly can be played offline if you disconnect from the internet.

73. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 14:37 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 21:56:

The ticket means access. Up until last year access was generally available on Steam, but also on other platforms. Take 2 would have taken a Steam ticket, GOG ticket, and any other platform ticket because generally speaking third-party exclusivity did not exist. Now, the access is restricted to EGS. Take 2 only takes EGS tickets.

We're not going to get into other meanings and metaphors beyond that so please don't bring up Windows vs Linux.

None of the BL games are on GoG.

72. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 14:32 Red886

71. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 14:23 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 15:44:
Going exclusive on a POS platform affects a review as much as the game itself. If people are butthurt over that fact then they don't understand basic psychology and human behavior.

Hey, I thought you JWs didn't swear.

70. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Sep 14, 2019, 14:21 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 16:20:
It meant a year ago it didn't matter WHAT ticket you had because the game was available wherever because third-party exclusives didn't exist. "Tickets please" is something Epic created.

My analogy is perfect for the point expressed.

Umm, the vast majority of games on Steam are only available on Steam. Not GoG, not the Windows store, not Origin, not Battle.net, etc.

69. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 14:14 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 15:48:

I know, right. It's a dumb comparison on the same level as EA calling their pay-2-win microtransactions "surprise mechanics" and likening them to Kinder Eggs. Valve doesn't do THIRD-party exclusives.

Well, Valve buys the studio to make it a "first person exclusive." Is that better? It's permanent. At least the EGS exclusives are temporary.

68. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 14, 2019, 13:44 jdreyer

87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo