Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations

A post on Kotaku investigates complaints about game publisher Nicalis, reporting allegations of incidents of racism, exploitation, and ghosting (thanks PCGamesN). They spoke with four game developers and seven former employees, who make disturbing allegations of such behavior. They also offer excerpts from Skype logs of conversations containing troubling language from company founder Tyrone Rodriguez. They share a response to this from Nicalis that says in part, "do not condone abusive workplace environments or discrimination." There is also word that Binding of Isaac creator Edmund McMillen saying that after the release of Binding of Isaac: Repentance, he will be ending his partnership with the developer:
While reporting this story, we reached out to Edmund McMillen, the creator of Binding of Isaac, who has been working with Nicalis for console ports and remakes of his games since 2012. When informed of the specific allegations against Nicalis that Kotaku planned to report, McMillen said that Rodriguez “wasn’t ever my boss, he’s always just been a publisher of my work” and that he would be halting his plans to work with them on two future games.

“I won’t be moving forward with Nicalis when it comes to the port of The Legend of Bum-bo or any console versions of Mewgenics,” he said in an email. “[Binding of Isaac: Repentance] will still be releasing as originally planned, the team poured their heart and soul into this DLC and it’s very close to releasing.”
View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations
Sep 14, 2019, 11:02
Beamer

Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 14, 2019, 11:02
Sep 14, 2019, 11:02
 Beamer

And there's another usual suspects...

Sep 14, 2019, 10:56
Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 14, 2019, 10:56
Sep 14, 2019, 10:56

Sounds like a tempest in a teapot...;)
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Sep 14, 2019, 09:09
Beamer

Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 14, 2019, 09:09
Sep 14, 2019, 09:09
 Beamer

Numinar wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 04:07:
Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 13:23:
mxmissile wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 13:03:
Ghosting? Like simply not replying to someone? Gesus, people have gone full on pussy these days.

That, or some "people these days" either can't read or can't think.

The example in the article is a company signing a deal with Nicalis, for Nicalis to do their port. They sign an NDA. They give Nicalis their source code. Nicalis then ghosts them and never responds to any additional communication.

At the very least, this is extremely unprofessional. At worst, they're stealing source code. In the middle, they're risking significant shipping delays by agreeing to do something then not doing it, likely costing several weeks of the team that made the deal wondering what the fuck is going on before they seek new partners.

If you think someone is a "pussy" for having a company they signed a deal with and sent their source code to going entirely silent, well, I really don't think there's anything anyone needs to say to you.

Ypur right, in almost every discorse these days there is a cadre of absoulte fuckwits that want to defend the otherwise indefensible and there is no rational, fact or idea that will make them think twice about their stated position. Fine if you are training to be a lawyer but otherwise I don't even know how you look at yourself in the mirror each day.

Like in the follow up topic here, where one of our resident alt-right shut-ins calls those who find this guy's behavior to be bad "outrage monkeys."

Because those who wouldn't work with this guy are the bad ones here...

Sep 14, 2019, 08:02
Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 14, 2019, 08:02
Sep 14, 2019, 08:02

Ghosting? Like simply not replying to someone? Gesus, people have gone full on pussy these days.

Cool, read the title and not the article, and then comment on it like you understand what was happening. Doesn’t matter that you’re super wrong and look like a jackass. What matters is that you got the first comment in.

Sep 14, 2019, 04:07
Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 14, 2019, 04:07
Sep 14, 2019, 04:07

Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2019, 13:23:

The example in the article is a company signing a deal with Nicalis, for Nicalis to do their port. They sign an NDA. They give Nicalis their source code. Nicalis then ghosts them and never responds to any additional communication.

At the very least, this is extremely unprofessional. At worst, they're stealing source code. In the middle, they're risking significant shipping delays by agreeing to do something then not doing it, likely costing several weeks of the team that made the deal wondering what the fuck is going on before they seek new partners.

If you think someone is a "pussy" for having a company they signed a deal with and sent their source code to going entirely silent, well, I really don't think there's anything anyone needs to say to you.

Ypur right, in almost every discorse these days there is a cadre of absoulte fuckwits that want to defend the otherwise indefensible and there is no rational, fact or idea that will make them think twice about their stated position. Fine if you are training to be a lawyer but otherwise I don't even know how you look at yourself in the mirror each day.

Sep 13, 2019, 15:10
fds
Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 13, 2019, 15:10
Sep 13, 2019, 15:10
fds

On first reading the title, I got worried it was the "Binding of Isaac Creator" dude that was accused of abuse. Heh. Glad there's no need to have mixed feelings over another game yet again.

Sep 13, 2019, 13:23
Beamer

Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 13, 2019, 13:23
Sep 13, 2019, 13:23
 Beamer

Sep 13, 2019, 13:03
Re: Binding of Isaac Creator Leaving Publisher Nicalis Over Abuse Allegations Sep 13, 2019, 13:03
Sep 13, 2019, 13:03

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older