Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

System Shock 3 Trailer

Otherside Entertainment offers a new trailer showing off System Shock 3, their upcoming continuation of the action/RPG series. They call this footage "pre-alpha," but it features gameplay as well as cutscenes, which seems pretty alpha to us. There's a post about this on IGN that also offers a few exclusive screenshots from the game. If you're going to venture into this don't forget your monkey wrench!

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 13, 2019, 02:49 Dash

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 11, 2019, 10:44:
Am I horrible person for not playing the first two?

Yes. You make Stalin, Mao and a few others cringe. /s

But, seriously... Get them. 1 is.. for when it was released, it's good, but takes a bit getting used to. I think it predated most of the mouselook feel we have today, and you'd flip between looking around, and then 'cursor' interaction. It was very atmospheric, which is odd because there was almost no environment sounds. If you had music turned off, the game was eerily silent, save for enemy noises, and maybe some extra noises. No wind, no engine noises. It was sparse, starkly so, but it definitely added to it for its time. The amount of crap you could pick up was great, as well as a variety of weapons as well as different ammo types. The lean/crouch/crawl interaction was also rather cool, as it was a slider interface where you could peek over corners and under barriers if you knew where things were. Getting into 1, if you're not used to how older games played and felt might be a challenge, but worth it.

2 is something that I played repeatedly when it came out. Been meaning to poke back at it, after Nightdive announced their redo of the first one. It felt like one of the first games where different playstyles really seemed like they would differentiate themselves as you went along, and in an organic fashion, versus the Elder Scroll games where you'd start out with an idea of what you wanted to do, but ended up gravitating towards specific methods, i.e. 'I'm gonna be a sneaky archer! Oh wait I guess I'm just a dude in heavy armor with a warhammer'. If you were aiming to be a sneaky hacker, you were rewarded in that fashion, but couldn't effectively pull a DoomGuy if you went down that path. If you wanted to play a gun nut, then other avenues would be more difficult to take, at least in my experience.

Both are about 10 bucks on Steam/GOG. At bare minimum, I'd say go with 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 12, 2019, 14:10 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Sep 12, 2019, 00:27:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 11, 2019, 11:55:
It looks amazing visually, here's hoping they don't forget the RPG and Stealth elements.

FYI, yes you guys are weridos for not playing SS2!

Am I alone in thinking that visually it looks incredibly dated? I mean the art assets look good, but the engine, the amount of detail... I hate games that just remind me that games are still being made with the original Xbox One as target spec. This looks like it was made with Unreal Engine 3 for the PS3 or something

2020 console cycle can't get here fast enough. PS4 and XBone were already dated hardware when they released 6 years ago... It really shows.
It looks a little dated, maybe a few years, but it's a small team. I'm not expecting it to look like SW:BF2 or something. I think it looks good, all things considered.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

29. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 12, 2019, 11:00 Ladron3dfx

As long as it has a basketball court to shoot a few hoops in, I'm good.

I remember running around in SS2 looking for chemicals, deck to deck. All hell breaking loose and with less than 10 bullets left, weapon jamming and falling apart. Infinite spawn too, so eh.

Played last with exotic, those pools of worms on the ground. That's ammo. Wink

Steamworks

28. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 12, 2019, 00:27 Slick

Acleacius wrote on Sep 11, 2019, 11:55:
It looks amazing visually, here's hoping they don't forget the RPG and Stealth elements.

FYI, yes you guys are weridos for not playing SS2!

Am I alone in thinking that visually it looks incredibly dated? I mean the art assets look good, but the engine, the amount of detail... I hate games that just remind me that games are still being made with the original Xbox One as target spec. This looks like it was made with Unreal Engine 3 for the PS3 or something

2020 console cycle can't get here fast enough. PS4 and XBone were already dated hardware when they released 6 years ago... It really shows.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

27. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 23:02 The Half Elf

WaltC wrote on Sep 11, 2019, 17:28:

No, just highly unfortunate...;) Great single-player games with tons of atmosphere.. Have no idea about this one, though. Hard to live up to the originals--true classics--but let's hope so!

I can do retro to a point..... SS1, no just not gonna happen (I'm a graphics whore). SS2... I've seen some overhaul's that update the graphics, but then again I still need to get through Prey.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemtion 2/Online, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and about 200 other games I've never fin

26. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 22:00 Tin

SS2 is one of my all-time favorite games, and I still listen to the soundtrack occasionally by Eric Brosius. Different dev, so I assume Eric isn't doing this new one?

Hard to judge the trailer... here's hoping they release other trailers showing slower/tension-building atmosphere of the original(s).

^^ Yeah, what 1badmf said (or maybe vv for you freaks showing the posts in the wrong order)

25. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 21:09 1badmf

ahh the legacy of looking glass studios. if i was a billionaire i'd back up the brinks truck to all their houses and bring the band back together. by far the best game developer that ever existed.

what made their games, including SS, so great was their innovative game play and creativity. i have my doubts anyone can bring that back just by slapping the system shock name on something.

24. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 20:15 The_Pink_Tiger

A couple things come to mind while watching the trailer:

First, it seems to fast paced. System Shock was always a very slow and methodical game (in part because of limitations of its engines). Very few enemies were fast-movers. They were slow, indomitable foes that hit very hard. It was rarely a game dependent on lightning-fast reflexes and the measured pace helped heighten the tension of the game. Seeing all the swift-moving enemies in the trailer feels wrong for the franchise. I find that worrisome.

Secondly, as much as I adore Shodan (and Terri Brosius' excellent voice-work), my initial impression was, "Shodan and mutants /again/?" It feels like they are just re-treading the same ground already covered quite well in the first two games. I'm not sure exactly what a game would be without Shodan (and it wouldn't have to be completely without her) but the universe felt large enough to support more than one villain. It feels like the developers are intentionally limiting themselves for marketing reasons - in order to tap into nostalgia for the older games - rather than creating something new.

23. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 19:56 MyRealName

No, just highly unfortunate...;)
I'd actually suggest quite the opposite! I'd love to have them still before me as fresh and new, yet-to-be-played. Jump in!

As for SS3, I do have to admit to having very serious concerns. Ultima Underworld constitutes one of my oldest and favorite games. It and Doom are what brought me to PC from Commodore 64. I play Thief to this day (literally--not two hours ago, I finished a play-through of the Grand Hotel of T2X with my preschooler) and I've pretty much loved everything (up till closing) from the Neurath / LG team. SS2 ranks up there with my faves as well, and SHODAN remains my phone's lock screen to this day.

Then along comes Otherside. Although I haven't played Ascendant, I don't think I ever will. It looks like saggy ass and the reviews aren't pretty either. I will likely never touch it out of fear that it will tarnish my memories.

And now they have SS3 in their hands.

My hopes:
1. Mr. "You can't make games for MIT grads" Spector has realized how wrong he was, has grown a bit, and can get his head (back) in the game.
2. Otherside have hired some competent artists. Apologies to those working on Ascendant, but it is butt ugly. Proportions of characters, animations, world design--all of it is so terrible and amateurish that I was just one of many calling it out since day one. It never improved.
3. That they don't succumb to the lure of the cinematic route, but rather let the gameplay do the talking as they did with SS2.
4. That they (this feels really weird saying this about a System Shock title, but here goes) don't go so overboard on gore factor (as this video starts to suggest) at the expense of what makes Shock what it is. Blatant gore is always inferior to well-delivered psychological horror.
5. That SS3 doesn't ultimately establish Otherside as the "Ruiners of Nostalgia"

22. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 19:54 ventry

I am trying to temper my expectations BUT,

Please be good....
Please be good....
Please be good....

21. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 17:57 clint

ive only played ss2 co-op, and it was awesome awesome awesome. One of my big favs.

20. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 17:32 MrBone

Looks like something that should have come out 15 years ago. Even then it would look dated.  

19. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 17:28 WaltC

No, just highly unfortunate...;) Great single-player games with tons of atmosphere.. Have no idea about this one, though. Hard to live up to the originals--true classics--but let's hope so!

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2019, 16:58 Overon

Terri Brosius Shodan voice is back! However I'm concerned with the quality of the developer. Oddworld Entertainment has a shallow and negative track record. Look at their previous games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherSide_Entertainment

An android game.
And they released an incomplete broken game for PC called Underworld Ascendant with a metacritic score of 37.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2019, 17:15.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2019, 14:27  Blue 

Quinn wrote on Sep 11, 2019, 14:24:
I completely missed this. This isn't reveal news, right?

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/167585/system-shock-3-announced

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

16. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 14:24 Quinn

I completely missed this. This isn't reveal news, right? How the hell did I miss the news that there's a part 3 in the making? Must've been the noise of the System Shock 1 remake I never cared about...

I loved SS2. It was scary as hell and I felt so freaking ace for my Shodan Windows theme ("I-I-I am SHODAN" blasting out of my speakers during start-up was a real show-off to my highschool friends back then).

Not sure I like the animated Shodan. I don't think that was necessary. Maybe that's just me being an old whiner resistant to change.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

15. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 14:01 RedEye9

Reactor wrote on Sep 11, 2019, 13:04:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 11, 2019, 10:53:
Nope. The first one was almost impossible to play, I never bothered with the second even though I own it.

Well you missed out. 2 is flat out incredible.
I realize my gamer card should be pulled. It is something I keep telling myself I will play one day (both 1 and 2) so there's that.

_-_-_-_

The pre-alpha stuff looks good.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

14. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 13:25 Dacron

#2 is definitely worth a go. Just watching the trailer I'm thinking on giving it a go.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

13. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 13:24 Hoop

I counted about 8 map environments lifted directly from the last Doom.  

Um .. Behind you...

12. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 13:16 jdreyer

If you need to ask the question, you already know the answer.

The first one is a bit obtuse, but the second one is amazing. I especially loved playing as the hacker character. Few games offer that kind of gameplay as a way to progress through the story. There are lots of mods that tighten up the graphics.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo