Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Evening Tech Bits

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2019, 21:09 RedEye9

"
a Ryzen 9 3900X that peaks at 4.5GHz instead of 4.6GHz is only missing out on 2% of its total possible boost clock rate, and even that 2% clock rate does not generally translate to 2% slower application performance. In other words, you're going to need artificial tests to discover the problem—you absolutely would not just suddenly realize, "hey, this isn't as fast as it ought to be!" in the middle of a gaming or content creation session.
"
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/09/amd-improves-real-world-boost-and-idle-on-ryzen-3000/

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2019, 07:19 RedEye9

I'm not saying this isn't something AMD should fix up... if for nothing else to avoid stupid law suits. Its just such a non story, makes me almost hope AMD does just bring back PR numbers. It would be so much easier to just say this is our 12 core 5000+ and this is our 8 core 4600+ and avoid sillyness. Of course having this stuff end up in an Intel marketing PowerPoint is pretty damn funny.

ChadD hardforums

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2019, 05:58 eRe4s3r

Gotta say, if a CPU says it boosts to X ghz then I expect that to mean that is the lowest baseline it can boost all cores to at all time on stock cooling in the summer heat... that AMD redefines this to single-core-boost max-limit is pretty shitty.

Otherwise you might call this CPU whatever it's idle clock is and nothing else, because it seems AMD thinks that it shouldn't tell you what the correct realistic boot clock is. That's just... wow.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 11, 2019, 01:27 Slick

it's really not much of a fix, MIGHT get you +0.025 Ghz on a burst single thread.

I got the 3900x, it's amazing. Their marketing is just bad, class action lawsuit in the making.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 10, 2019, 20:46 RedEye9

THANKS SIMON!

Toms Hardware got hold of a beta of the fix.
AMD's Ryzen 3000 Boost-Fixing BIOS Leaks Out, We Test With Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 7 3700X

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 10, 2019, 20:39 RedEye9

All the issues will be worked out by the time I get around to my build.
I already got got the bucks, just gotta get the time.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >