Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I wondered whether being out-of-town for close to a week would mean the gang of 13 ducks that hang out in our pond would forget I was their friend with the oatmeal. But when I went outside to dump the dehumidifier water for the first time after our return I was assailed by 15 happy duckies. It was obvious the two newcomers were having trouble being completely accepted into the group by how they got chased around a bit, but they seemed to be trying to earn full membership. When I went out to pour out the water this morning, however, they were nowhere to be found, making me wonder if they'd already started flying south for the winter. A little later MrsBlue came down and pointed out that my theory was wrong and they were on the patio looking in at me. This was just the main 13 of them, so the pledges may have given up after their hazing, but the rest of them are still in the area for now. I don't know that much about migratory birds, so I have no idea when to expect them to leave, or whether they will come back to this same area next spring, but I'll be interested to see how this all plays out.

Southbound Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: FoxBot.
Links: Swarovski Goatse bracelet - Boing Boing. We live in a magical time.
Stories: Pierce Brosnan Ready For A Female Bond.
Washington state lightning strikes- 1,250 recorded within three hours. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Media: DOCTOR SLEEP - Final Trailer.
How Dangerous Can Ocean Waves Get? Wave Comparison.
Here’s A Good Reminder To Never Mess With A Fully-Grown Elephant.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Birds is the word! Sep 16, 2019, 00:24 Ant

Blue needs to take pictures of his new friends!  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2019, 03:13 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 20:57:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 20:13:
Swarovski Goatse bracelet

Ima assume that link is NSFW.

Nope!

Okay, now that I'm home I had a look, and it was pretty funny.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 23:34 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 20:15:
Ma told me, "Never feed the humans."
FEED ME, SEYMOUR!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 20:57  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 20:13:

Nope!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 20:15 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 15:46:
Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 13:28:
What about other wildlife in your area? Do you see any squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, et al? I recently saw a possum and a skunk cruising by my place - which I could count on one hand the amount of times I've seen in the wild. It's always nice to put a bird feeder out for all the critters. They all seems to get down on the stuff.

Wildlife is surprisingly sparse, but our condo complex is especially dense with humans, so maybe that shouldn't be a surprise.

Ma told me, "Never feed the humans."

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 20:13 jdreyer

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 19:54 WarPig

Take it with a grain of salt since it is Brady talking about the Patriots, but a scary thought for the rest of the league if it is true.

And if I remember right, over the last couple years the Patriots have started out slow and gotten better as the year went on. Hopefully this year it'll be reversed - but I don't think so.

My Seahawks got outplayed in every aspect except for the final score. It's always good to win but boy, did they look bad.

GO SEAHAWKS!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 19:51 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 18:48:
Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 13:36:
That was a fairly wild day for football yesterday. Were the Pats really that good or was Pitt just really sucking wind?
The talking heads had an amusing story of Brady saying that after their inter-squad game he was thinking his receivers were not doing a good job of getting open. Then they played with another team (not sure if it was a dual practice or one of the pre-season games) and Brady suddenly realized the problem in their inter-squad game was their D was better than their O. Take it with a grain of salt since it is Brady talking about the Patriots, but a scary thought for the rest of the league if it is true.

Goddamn I'd hate to see them win it all again this year. We'd never hear the end of it from the clowns in Beantown. Wonder if the Rams are set to repeat too. Everyone else I saw all looked pretty meh IMO - including my Packers. All that talk about how the Browns are for real this year and they got beat like a red headed stepchild.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 19:49 Cutter

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 15:46:
What about other wildlife in your area? Do you see any squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, et al? I recently saw a possum and a skunk cruising by my place - which I could count on one hand the amount of times I've seen in the wild. It's always nice to put a bird feeder out for all the critters. They all seems to get down on the stuff.

Wildlife is surprisingly sparse, but our condo complex is especially dense with humans, so maybe that shouldn't be a surprise.

The only raccoons we've seen were roadkill. We have only seen one deer, and we used to have them all over our far-less rural village in Westchester. We assume it's because there are actual habitats in the woods for them here. We also get far fewer squirrels here, which I chalk up to them being fast-food for the numerous raptors we see soaring about (there are a lot of eagles). We do see more chipmunks here than our old home, where they were almost completely nonexistent. There is also a family of three swans who live on the pond. The youngster gets whiter all the time as his baby feathers molt, and presumably he'll be ready to fly south when the time comes. There are also herons, and the pond is home to assorted snapping turtles and frogs, though the bullfrog that used to serenade us seems to be missing lately (may be related to the snapping turtles).

That's about it. So far no rabbits, skunks, snakes, or bears.

Cool beans. Thanks for the info. Get some peanuts and feed the chippers! I love the little bastards. They all have their own distinct personalities like dogs. They're a ton of fun to have around. And it's good karma feeding them.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 18:48 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 13:36:
That was a fairly wild day for football yesterday. Were the Pats really that good or was Pitt just really sucking wind?
The talking heads had an amusing story of Brady saying that after their inter-squad game he was thinking his receivers were not doing a good job of getting open. Then they played with another team (not sure if it was a dual practice or one of the pre-season games) and Brady suddenly realized the problem in their inter-squad game was their D was better than their O. Take it with a grain of salt since it is Brady talking about the Patriots, but a scary thought for the rest of the league if it is true.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 15:46  Blue 

The only raccoons we've seen were roadkill. We have only seen one deer, and we used to have them all over our far-less rural village in Westchester. We assume it's because there are actual habitats in the woods for them here. We also get far fewer squirrels here, which I chalk up to them being fast-food for the numerous raptors we see soaring about (there are a lot of eagles). We do see more chipmunks here than our old home, where they were almost completely nonexistent. There is also a family of three swans who live on the pond. The youngster gets whiter all the time as his baby feathers molt, and presumably he'll be ready to fly south when the time comes. There are also herons, and the pond is home to assorted snapping turtles and frogs, though the bullfrog that used to serenade us seems to be missing lately (may be related to the snapping turtles).

That's about it. So far no rabbits, skunks, snakes, or bears.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 13:36 Cutter

Female Bond? Christ, is nothing sacred? I liked La Femme Nikita and don't have a problem with chicks playing spys, assassins, etc. but Bond is a man, and a very specific man at that. Even with all the actors that have played the role I only think Connery and Craig do it real justice.

Washington state lightning strikes? Thanks Trump! Wry

I've sailed in the Pacific in stormy weather and it is an anus puckering experience to be sure.

Speaking of football, found a site with some great football jokes.

Q: How do you keep the Detroit Lions out of your front yard?
A: Put up goal posts.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 13:29 Hoop

Third from bottom on the water....yeah he was down this way last year.  

Um .. Behind you...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 13:28 Cutter

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 11:46:
Shock wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 11:40:
It's possible you're delaying their departure by giving them a reliable food source

Actually the conventional wisdom on this is that a food source will not delay or deter migration. Quite the opposite, it can help provide them with the energy they'll require to make the long journey.

That's the right of it. What about other wildlife in your area? Do you see any squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, et al? I recently saw a possum and a skunk cruising by my place - which I could count on one hand the amount of times I've seen in the wild. It's always nice to put a bird feeder out for all the critters. They all seems to get down on the stuff.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 12:26 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 12:07:
Hard to imagine a Shining sequel which could live up to the original film... I'll wait and see what the reviews say...
So far there's only been one Stanley Kubrick.
I saw the 3rd It, best thing i can say is that it was not in 3d.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 12:07 Mr. Tact

Hard to imagine a Shining sequel which could live up to the original film... I'll wait and see what the reviews say...  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 11:59 RedEye9

Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 11:46:
It's possible you're delaying their departure by giving them a reliable food source

Actually the conventional wisdom on this is that a food source will not delay or deter migration. Quite the opposite, it can help provide them with the energy they'll require to make the long journey.
A brief bit of the googling agrees with that migratory sentiment. However, feeding is discouraged for innumerable other reasons. health, environment, disease, disrupting nature, overcrowding etc.

https://www.massaudubon.org/learn/nature-wildlife/birds/don-t-feed-the-ducks
https://www.ducks.ca/faq/

Even knowing all of the above I'd still feed them oats, there are tons of worse things you could be doing.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 11:46  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2019, 11:45 Killer Kane

Tony Soprano loved his duckies too...  

5. Re: Doctor Sleep Sep 9, 2019, 11:42 Bill Borre

I actually gave up on the book about a hundred pages in because it wasn't the sequel I was hoping for but judging from the trailer I think maybe I bailed before it got better. To anybody who's read the book, does Danny lead the Shining vampires back to the Overlook to ambush them?

Nevermind. Did some googling. Apparently this director is doing a King/Kubrick mashup.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2019, 12:29.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo