Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2019, 09:48 Mr. Tact

I get that it is interesting and generating public interest has value, but make a statement that isn't quite so blatantly false. Something like, "You can't take an image of a black hole, this is about as close as you are going to get..."  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2019, 03:05 1badmf

ok poorly phrased. same gravitational system, not same object. JD made the second point i forgot to type out - part of newsworthy science is PR, like it or not. i personally give em a pass for this slight obfuscation. it's close enough to the truth esp. since the actual truth would be far less interesting anyway.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 23:03 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 22:52:
Thing is that the general public won't understand if the scientists say, "We got a great shot of the accretion disk!"
Bummer. They are scientists, not internet influencers. STAY IN YOUR FREAKING LANE.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 22:52 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 21:56:
1badmf wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 21:32:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 19:27:
No has or ever will take an image of a black hole. The parsing of the language in this endeavor leaves me wanting to hit someone...

being a little pedantic no? a black hole and its event horizon are parts of the same object, so imo its fair to say that by taking a pic of the event horizon you've taken a pic of a black hole. it's the interesting bit anyway - the black hole itself there's literally nothing to see unless they get dumb-lucky enough to see it gravitationally lens in front of a background object.
They are scientists, I expect them to be accurate in what they do and what they say about what they have done. And no, the gases just outside the event horizon are not part of the black hole, yet. It is like taking a picture of the Pacific Ocean where you can see nothing but water and saying it is a picture of a fish.
Thing is that the general public won't understand if the scientists say, "We got a great shot of the accretion disk!"

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 21:56 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 21:32:
No has or ever will take an image of a black hole. The parsing of the language in this endeavor leaves me wanting to hit someone...

being a little pedantic no? a black hole and its event horizon are parts of the same object, so imo its fair to say that by taking a pic of the event horizon you've taken a pic of a black hole. it's the interesting bit anyway - the black hole itself there's literally nothing to see unless they get dumb-lucky enough to see it gravitationally lens in front of a background object.
They are scientists, I expect them to be accurate in what they do and what they say about what they have done. And no, the gases just outside the event horizon are not part of the black hole, yet. It is like taking a picture of the Pacific Ocean where you can see nothing but water and saying it is a picture of a fish.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 21:32 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 21:16 Burrito of Peace

No has or ever will take an image of a black hole.

I don't know. I've seen hundreds of pictures of black holes since I was a teenager...

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 20:40 RedEye9

According to project director Shep Doeleman, the breakthrough image only marks the beginning of a black hole's media moments. Speaking to AFP, Doeleman said, "What I predict is that by the end of the next decade we will be making high quality real-time movies of black holes that reveal not just how they look, but how they act on the cosmic stage." Indeed, the team is already working on the processing the data needed to produce the first -- likely rudimentary -- video of a black hole, which could be revealed next year.

Movies are made up of bunchs of images, so if one image makes you want to hit somebody I hope you are a well trained pugilist, you're gonna be busy.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 19:27 Mr. Tact

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 18:48 RedEye9

Simon Says wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 11:56:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 10:44:
I hope they sentence that aircraft mechanic to life in prison with no parole.

This is definitely one of those times you send a very strong message.

Someone hasn't read the article... again!

He - {sabotaged the plane} - so that the employees grievances would be heard by the employers deaf ears.

You might want to apologize and reread the article.

Alani said “his intention was to ... cause a delay ... in anticipation of obtaining overtime work,” according to the affidavit.

It's not a toy train set he was tinkering with, this is a big specialized pressurized tube that carries flesh bags 5 mile above the hard stuff.
That fucking worthless piece of shit was just out for money.
He can repair washing machines in the local prison for 8 cents an hour while he rethinks the failure of his life.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 15:42 Tipsy McStagger

Simon Says wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 11:56:

He put a foam so a non-critical sensor would stay stuck and report an error during flight checklist so the plane would not depart so that the employees grievances would be heard by the employers deaf ears.

No one was ever in danger.

Put no one in danger = LIFETIME SENTENCE!

Typical unhinged fanaticism.

At worst he should lose his job, at best the employers should listen to the employees grievances. Anything else outside these parameters is pure fanatic folly.

I hope cooler and saner heads will prevail in that particular case.

Oh I read it, they updated it slightly after I read it (check time stamps) "Updated 4 hours ago".

Anyways, relying on operator intervention is not a suitable safeguard justification of sabotage.

Let's say the pilots made a mistake on their checklist that day, and they were relying on their instruments to fly and they didn't notice that their instruments were sabotaged. Just because someone DIDN'T get hurt doesn't mean it's not extremely dangerous.

So fuck this guy.. it's the equivalent of myself rigging the control system of a refinery to overfill a tank and relying on the operator to notice. People could get seriously hurt and this guy did this on purpose.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 13:59 Bodolza

"The Mask is painted in dark metallic gray with black accents"

All my life I thought Darth Vader's mask was black. Today I learned it was dark gray.

8. Palm Tree Trimming Sep 6, 2019, 13:32 Hoop

From the moment the chainsaw caught fire to the end of the clip I would have thrown about 56 ever more panicked fuc*s out there.  

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 13:06 RedEye9

The age-old question about bears has finally been answered.

_-_-_-*-*-*-*_-_-_-

Next time the trimmer will have a helper with a water hose.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 12:58 Cutter

Another failed African dictator bites the dust. It's just a shame those tyrants always seem to last so long. And far too many don't get their just desserts.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 11:58 RedEye9

Yep, you don't fuck around with sky buses.
This is domestic terrorism pure and simple.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 11:56 Simon Says

He put a foam so a non-critical sensor would stay stuck and report an error during flight checklist so the plane would not depart so that the employees grievances would be heard by the employers deaf ears.

No one was ever in danger.

Put no one in danger = LIFETIME SENTENCE!

Typical unhinged fanaticism.

At worst he should lose his job, at best the employers should listen to the employees grievances. Anything else outside these parameters is pure fanatic folly.

I hope cooler and saner heads will prevail in that particular case.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 11:27 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 11:17:

Mechanic claims the sabotage was about a contract dispute, but happens to be named "Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani."

Hmmmmm...

ISLAMOPHOBE! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

All kidding aside, it does seem to be related to the ongoing contract disputes. There have been accusations going back and forth about this for awhile - AA had something ridiculous like 950 extra flight cancellations they attribute to the mechanics unions using their position as leverage. What troubles me more is what if these idiots screw up and do worse than cause a delay or cancellation?

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 11:17 jdreyer

Mechanic claims the sabotage was about a contract dispute, but happens to be named "Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani."

Hmmmmm...

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2019, 10:44 Tipsy McStagger

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo