Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux

Update: If this story seems familiar, it's because it was posted yesterday in a mistaken violation of an embargo request. Apologies to all for the confusion. As Daffy Duck would say, let's try that again: Celestial Gold Studios announces Kung Fu Jesus, a one-developer fighting game planned for release next year. We have a press release describing this as "the type of heady hallucinogenic cocktail you might end up with if you threw Blade Runner, Ninja Gaiden and LSD: Dream Emulator into a blender and chugged the entire resulting concoction down in one delicious gulp." The Announcement Trailer is at least as bizarre as that sounds, so brace yourself. The Kung Fu Jesus Website is online, as is the game's Steam Listing. Here's more:

Enter a madcap world of organised crime, alternate dimensions, and intense martial arts, in a genre-busting action-adventure like no other. From invigorating kung fu combat, to lonely drives across alien landscapes, Kung Fu Jesus invites you to wake up, seek the truth, and free yourselves from the shackles of everyday reality.

Explore alien landscapes and celestial planes, battling men and gods alike with visceral martial arts and hand-to-hand combat. Follow Kung Fu Jesus from his origins as a down-and-out deadbeat, as he discovers his true nature and journeys toward his ultimate fate.

Kung Fu Jesus borrows from fighting games, action-adventures, action-RPGs and more, to create an intoxicating mixture of genres and gameplay styles. One moment you'll be fending off a katana-wielding mobster along high-tech city streets; the next you'll be piloting alien vehicles across the surface of an otherworldly planet.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 6, 2019, 12:52 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 12:46:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 21:27:
Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 17:17:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 16:41:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 16:30:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 16:16:

How long has it been en vogue?

I mean, depictions of Jesus aren't forbidden, in fact, most churches are full of them.

And these products typically come from places where Christians are the majority and not persecuted against, generally the developers were raised in homes at least slightly Christian, which is very different than these same devs, in these same places, making something about Muslims.

Yes, I do, and I addressed it. Depictions of Muhammad are forbidden. Depictions of Jesus are encouraged. That you can't see how that's incredibly different is, well, typical, but still shocking.

Not to mention, again, the difference between people mocking themselves, which means Christians in Christian countries mocking Christianity, vs. what would happen had this been Muhammad - Christians in Christian countries mocking Muslims.

Again, it's typical, but I'm shocked you don't see how that's different.
Wall Wall2 Wall

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 6, 2019, 12:46 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 21:27:
[history snipped for brevity]

I am referring to Mohammad.

A perceived disrespectful treatment of the name and/or person's likeness generally results in a violent reaction from a fringe element of the religion. The game developers aren't prepared to go that route. However, they were okay with Jesus because it's en vogue.

You tell me.

I mean, depictions of Jesus aren't forbidden, in fact, most churches are full of them.

And these products typically come from places where Christians are the majority and not persecuted against, generally the developers were raised in homes at least slightly Christian, which is very different than these same devs, in these same places, making something about Muslims.

You know exactly what I am referring to. If you don't get educated.

Yes, I do, and I addressed it. Depictions of Muhammad are forbidden. Depictions of Jesus are encouraged. That you can't see how that's incredibly different is, well, typical, but still shocking.

Not to mention, again, the difference between people mocking themselves, which means Christians in Christian countries mocking Christianity, vs. what would happen had this been Muhammad - Christians in Christian countries mocking Muslims.

Again, it's typical, but I'm shocked you don't see how that's different.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 6, 2019, 12:01 jdreyer

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that this thread is still going.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 6, 2019, 11:54 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 08:55:
SunnyD wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 02:56:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2019, 16:55:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 4, 2019, 14:02:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 4, 2019, 14:01:
Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

No.. the OTHER M-word. -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJbSvidohg

~Finis~

There are a lot of other M words.

A perceived disrespectful treatment of the name and/or person's likeness generally results in a violent reaction from a fringe element of the religion. The game developers aren't prepared to go that route. However, they were okay with Jesus because it's en vogue.

"Jesus" is also used colloquially to mean a genius or guru. For example, the Forgotten Weapons guy is referred to as "Gun Jesus." Mohammed is never used that way.

Edit: thinking about it, I think that's what these developers are going for here.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 23:48 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 21:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 16:59:
Cheer up every one JESUS CHRIST NAMED HISTORY'S MOST SUCCESSFUL MEME

The Independent uses "meme" incorrectly. "the most significant person ever" doesn't mean meme. Meme is an abbreviated form of the Greek word "mimeme," which means "something imitated." That's not what "most significant person ever" implies from the mentioned book by Steven Skiena and Charles Ward. Zeitgeist is a better word to use.

Of course, The Independent knows what they're doing. A meme is well understood to mean "joke." It's a subtle snide jab. So, of course, you quote it... because well, you're an unabashed hater.

I don't think that's what they were going for... I do agree with you on them probably not using "meme" exactly right given their methodology... but "zeitgeist" is even further away.
Their method just seems to imply that Jesus is the most referenced figure.

Not sure why you're honing in on the greek part of "meme" and imitation... Dawkins says himself that he was going for something like "gene" when he coined it. The point being that a meme, like a gene, passes on from person to person through history and culture receiving little modifications along the way. He also stressed the similarities to "memory".

edit: Looking into the study some more, the authors themselves do call it "meme strength", so not solely The Independent's doing.

19. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 21:27 Kxmode

[history snipped for brevity]

You tell me.

You know exactly what I am referring to. If you don't get educated.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

18. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 21:19 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 16:59:

The Independent uses "meme" incorrectly. "the most significant person ever" doesn't mean meme. Meme is an abbreviated form of the Greek word "mimeme," which means "something imitated." That's not what "most significant person ever" implies from the mentioned book by Steven Skiena and Charles Ward. Zeitgeist is a better word to use.

Of course, The Independent knows what they're doing. A meme is well understood to mean "joke." It's a subtle snide jab. So, of course, you quote it... because well, you're an unabashed hater.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 17:17 Beamer

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

~Finis~

You tell me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 16:59 RedEye9

15. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 16:43 Sepharo

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

~Finis~

You tell me.

I don't think it is, I was curious about your perspective.

There has been controversy about depicting Jesus in irreverent media basically forever. So I'm curious if you think there's a recent uptick, when does it begin? The 90s? The 70s? Or it's like a brand new fad?

14. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 16:41 Kxmode

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

~Finis~

You tell me.

13. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 16:34 RedEye9

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

~Finis~

jesus is as good as the next fictional character. I'm with jdreyer, where's santa or the easter bunny. Wink

12. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 16:30 Sepharo

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

~Finis~

11. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 16:16 Kxmode

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

~Finis~

10. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 08:55 Slashman

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

~Finis~

9. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 5, 2019, 02:56 SunnyD

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

~Finis~

8. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 4, 2019, 16:57 jdreyer

As I said in the last thread, as long as the end boss is Santa, I'm down.  

7. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 4, 2019, 16:55 jdreyer

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word.

"Mesbians?"

Scott Pilgrim reference.

6. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 4, 2019, 15:02 NKD

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word. The one that turns people into crazed killers if you speak ill of that name.

Mahershala Ali? I have to admit I turn into a crazed killer when someone speaks ill of him. One of the best actors currently working.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

5. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 4, 2019, 14:02 Kxmode

Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word. The one that turns people into crazed killers if you speak ill of that name.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo