Alec Holowka Dead

Alec Holowka has died by his own hand, reports Heavy.com, just days after being accused of abuse. This was announced by Holowka's sister on Twitter. Her account is now marked as private, but they offer quotes from what she wrote:
In announcing Holowka’s passing, Eileen Holowka said that she believes “survivors and I have always done everything I can to support survivors, those suffering from mental illnesses, and those with chronic illnesses.” Eileen goes on to say that her brother suffered from abuse and battled mental illness and a personality disorder during his life. She describes her brother as someone “who wanted only to offer people care and kindness. It took him a while to figure out how.”

Alec Holowka, my brother and best friend, passed away this morning. pic.twitter.com/NONUNSZ08q

— Eileen Mary Holowka (@derangedpoetess) August 31, 2019

Eileen said that Holowka became a new person in recent years, thanks to a combination of therapy and medication. Eileen says that Holowka was “calm and happy, positive and loving.” In the wake of the allegations made by Zoe Quinn, Eileen said that her brother had been receiving support from the Manitoba crisis services. Eileen adds, “[Holowka’s family] tried our best to support Alec, but in the end he felt he had lost too much.” The statement finishes with the words, “For anyone who is in a time of darkness, I encourage you to reach out for support. There are always people who will be there for you.”

Holowka followed up the tweeted message by saying, “And in case it’s not already f****** obvious, Alec *specifically said* he wished the best for Zoë and everyone else, so don’t use our grief as an excuse to harass people. Go outside, take care of someone, and work towards preventing these kinds of things in the first place.” Eileen Holowka also works in gaming as a developer and was given a special thanks credit on “Night in the Woods.” In the fallout from her brother’s suicide, Eileen said that she does not see a future for herself in gaming.

View : : :
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Newer

Re: Alec Holowka Dead
Sep 1, 2019, 12:28
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 12:28
Sep 1, 2019, 12:28

Killed by #MeToo

Not the first one, not the last one.

Sep 1, 2019, 12:43
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 12:43
Sep 1, 2019, 12:43

The sad truth is that rapists just aren’t as popular as they used to be.

Sep 1, 2019, 12:47
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 12:47
Sep 1, 2019, 12:47

If you can make a list of people who are dead (and not found guilty by a court) because of your movement then your movement has a problem.

Sep 1, 2019, 12:56
nin
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 12:56
Sep 1, 2019, 12:56
nin

I just want to say that Night In The Woods was a fantastic game that dealt with depression and mistakes, and trying to live with yourself afterwards. (Which, as I now type that, seems rather ironic, given the current news.) It very much spoke to me personally, as someone who's been depressed a really long time, and sometimes feels like the mistakes in life outnumber the positive events.

If you've not played it, you should. The characters are wonderfully well written and relatable, the game is funny, sad, and thought provoking, the music is great, and it's an all around wonderful experience. It feels like it was written by honest, relatable people, because it was.

There are no winners here, and as the game says "everything sucks forever". It sucks that such a good thing is now marred by everything that's happened.

If you're having a hard time in life, please seek out help from others. There's a good chance other people have been through the same things you have, know exactly how you feel, and wish they could take things back or do things differently.

Sep 1, 2019, 13:08
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 13:08

Thanks for the review nin. Empathy is hard to come by these days.

Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 13:08

My dad committed suicide almost 20 years ago. It can be a tough thing to deal with for a family. People wonder if they could have done something differently.

But ultimately your decision to take your own life is just that, your decision. No one else can make it for you, nor should anyone blame themselves for your actions.
"If taking drugs is uncool then I'm the most uncool motherfucker on the entire planet."

Sep 1, 2019, 13:22
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 13:22
Sep 1, 2019, 13:22

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 12:47:
If you can make a list of people who are dead (and not found guilty by a court) because of your movement then your movement has a problem.

It's one of the reasons I left the industry myself. Plus a friend of mine who had their own studio and was a developer lost their desire to be a part of it too. The predatory antics of these people and how they just wait like vultures to pick the bones clean of some weakened person they know they can get something from. The hobby is dying internally because of them.

The west coast ultra left SJW elite can have the hobby. They can have it all. A lot of folk have already packed it in and left it due to this. IT'll only get worse as the years go on and these vultures continue owning twitter accounts, essentially.

I feel for Alec and hope his family and friends can recover from this. Most of all I wish Alec could've walked away and learned to live life away from all of this.

Zoe has blood on her hands.

Sep 1, 2019, 13:38
Rilcon

Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 13:38
Sep 1, 2019, 13:38
 Rilcon

Icewind wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 13:22:
blabla
I saw what you posted in the other thread; the industry is better off without you.

Sep 1, 2019, 13:40
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 13:40
Sep 1, 2019, 13:40

subx wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 12:43:
The sad truth is that rapists just aren’t as popular as they used to be.
^This
The days of treating women like sub-humans has come to an end.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 1, 2019, 14:01
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 14:01
Sep 1, 2019, 14:01

Was there any other evidence for the alleged sexual assaults besides the typical he said/she said?

I can see that this guy had a lot of problems and this probably just was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sep 1, 2019, 14:14
Rilcon

Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 14:14
 Rilcon

Overon wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 14:01:
Was there any other evidence for the alleged sexual assaults besides the typical he said/she said?

I can see that this guy had a lot of problems and this probably just was the straw that broke the camel's back.
If you mean video evidence or pictures of blood splatter or something like that, then no.

I would however suggest reading the post about the allegations made by a Night in the Woods codeveloper that knew and worked with the guy for over half a decade:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightInTheWoods/comments/cxqjp8/end_of_summer_backer_update/

Verno

Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 14:14
 Verno

Hope his family is doing OK, very sad situation.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Sep 1, 2019, 14:22
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 14:22
Sep 1, 2019, 14:22

Atun Desenfrenado wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 12:28:
Killed by #MeToo

Not the first one, not the last one.

It must suck waking up, day after day, thinking stupid shit like this. I hope you get the help you need. I'd hate to see you become a statistic And if you can't afford it, Obamacare is there for you.

Sep 1, 2019, 14:37
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 14:37
Sep 1, 2019, 14:37

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 12:56:
I just want to say that Night In The Woods was a fantastic game that dealt with depression and mistakes, and trying to live with yourself afterwards. (Which, as I now type that, seems rather ironic, given the current news.) It very much spoke to me personally, as someone who's been depressed a really long time, and sometimes feels like the mistakes in life outnumber the positive events.

If you've not played it, you should. The characters are wonderfully well written and relatable, the game is funny, sad, and thought provoking, the music is great, and it's an all around wonderful experience. It feels like it was written by honest, relatable people, because it was.

There are no winners here, and as the game says "everything sucks forever". It sucks that such a good thing is now marred by everything that's happened.

If you're having a hard time in life, please seek out help from others. There's a good chance other people have been through the same things you have, know exactly how you feel, and wish they could take things back or do things differently.

- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 1, 2019, 14:40
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 14:40
Sep 1, 2019, 14:40

Rilcon wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 14:14:
Overon wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 14:01:

If you mean video evidence or pictures of blood splatter or something like that, then no.

I would however suggest reading the post about the allegations made by a Night in the Woods codeveloper that knew and worked with the guy for over half a decade:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightInTheWoods/comments/cxqjp8/end_of_summer_backer_update/
I see

Sep 1, 2019, 14:59
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 14:59
Sep 1, 2019, 14:59

Is this related to another instance of Zoë Quinn being assaulted or something entirely new? I'm starting to loose track.

Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July
Sep 1, 2019, 15:08
Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Sep 1, 2019, 15:08
Sep 1, 2019, 15:08

I read this stuff earlier, and it really puts #MeToo and Zoe and a whole bunch of other stuff into a new context for me. Holowka seems to have been the kind of crazy that spends their life in and out of mutually abusive relationships, which is very common among artists. Not a villain or a victim, just a complete trainwreck of a person. I wonder how much of the moral panic and culture war surrounding these issues only exist because we have media that records and publicizes peoples' lives in far greater detail than is proper.

There are also actual sociopaths that hide among these troubled people, and take advantage of them. Often times, even when you're close to them, it's impossible to know which is which. I've felt pretty certain before, and feel it's still pretty likely, that Zoe Quinn is one of those. But how can I know? How can I know Holowka wasn't?

This shit shouldn't be a matter of public argument. Nobody has the truth.

Sep 1, 2019, 16:06
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 16:06
Sep 1, 2019, 16:06

Icewind wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 13:22:

The west coast ultra left SJW elite

These are not phrases rational people say.

Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July
Sep 1, 2019, 16:09
Rilcon

Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July Sep 1, 2019, 16:09
 Rilcon

007Bistromath wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 15:08:

I read this stuff earlier, and it really puts #MeToo and Zoe and a whole bunch of other stuff into a new context for me. Holowka seems to have been the kind of crazy that spends their life in and out of mutually abusive relationships, which is very common among artists. Not a villain or a victim, just a complete trainwreck of a person. I wonder how much of the moral panic and culture war surrounding these issues only exist because we have media that records and publicizes peoples' lives in far greater detail than is proper.

There are also actual sociopaths that hide among these troubled people, and take advantage of them. Often times, even when you're close to them, it's impossible to know which is which. I've felt pretty certain before, and feel it's still pretty likely, that Zoe Quinn is one of those. But how can I know? How can I know Holowka wasn't?

This shit shouldn't be a matter of public argument. Nobody has the truth.
There is definitely something "not normal" about most of the people these sort of dramas involve; maybe I'm just a potato surrounded by other potatoes, but the amount of "drama" that any one of these Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, indie game dev, etc. people go through in a single year exceeds what I or anyone I know goes through in their entire lives.

I'd usually just blame "social media", but that really can't be all there is to it, and I'm sure this isn't new. Just now instead of "crazy cousin Jerry" being someone you only experience on big family dinners, all the Jerrys now have social media accounts all of us can spectate in morbid fascination, especially when they start interacting with each other.

Sorry to any Jerrys out there.

Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 16:09

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 14:59:
Is this related to another instance of Zoë Quinn being assaulted or something entirely new? I'm starting to loose track.

See,that's a problem right there. There's too much of it going on. And if it seems to be this common, imagine what is was like in the past, BEFORE people got called out.

128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Newer