Alec Holowka Dead

Alec Holowka has died by his own hand, reports Heavy.com, just days after being accused of abuse. This was announced by Holowka's sister on Twitter. Her account is now marked as private, but they offer quotes from what she wrote:
In announcing Holowka’s passing, Eileen Holowka said that she believes “survivors and I have always done everything I can to support survivors, those suffering from mental illnesses, and those with chronic illnesses.” Eileen goes on to say that her brother suffered from abuse and battled mental illness and a personality disorder during his life. She describes her brother as someone “who wanted only to offer people care and kindness. It took him a while to figure out how.”

Alec Holowka, my brother and best friend, passed away this morning. pic.twitter.com/NONUNSZ08q

— Eileen Mary Holowka (@derangedpoetess) August 31, 2019

Eileen said that Holowka became a new person in recent years, thanks to a combination of therapy and medication. Eileen says that Holowka was “calm and happy, positive and loving.” In the wake of the allegations made by Zoe Quinn, Eileen said that her brother had been receiving support from the Manitoba crisis services. Eileen adds, “[Holowka’s family] tried our best to support Alec, but in the end he felt he had lost too much.” The statement finishes with the words, “For anyone who is in a time of darkness, I encourage you to reach out for support. There are always people who will be there for you.”

Holowka followed up the tweeted message by saying, “And in case it’s not already f****** obvious, Alec *specifically said* he wished the best for Zoë and everyone else, so don’t use our grief as an excuse to harass people. Go outside, take care of someone, and work towards preventing these kinds of things in the first place.” Eileen Holowka also works in gaming as a developer and was given a special thanks credit on “Night in the Woods.” In the fallout from her brother’s suicide, Eileen said that she does not see a future for herself in gaming.

View : : :
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike
Sep 1, 2019, 21:21
Beamer

Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Sep 1, 2019, 21:21
Sep 1, 2019, 21:21
 Beamer

So, what, if you're sexually assaulted you should only discuss it with the police?

And then, if the police choose to prosecute, then what? It's still out there, your reputation is still going through all of this.

Except that the women's is, as well. And again, you guys seem to think there's some magical evidence here. There isn't. Tell me what evidence there is that someone was groped, or even raped.

No one here seemed to be too upset when Weinstein got destroyed. Maybe because he was a liberal? This is weirdly down political lines. No one seems to upset over Epstein, either. That was just words, too, there has been no conviction. Where are all the people jumping up and down saying that the women that spoke out against him never should have done so? That Weinstein never should have lost his company?

Sep 1, 2019, 21:18
Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Sep 1, 2019, 21:18
Sep 1, 2019, 21:18

Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 19:42:
NKD wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 19:28:
Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 19:19:

So, you're perfectly fine with someone accusing you of being a pedophile in that case. You're not worried about the repercussions because it's not true, right? Try thinking these things through first, sport.

How do you suggest someone stop them from doing that?

Slander and libel laws. Which, incidentally, we have.

That might be where things go since NKD's basically nihilistic "what are ya gonna do? Mob followers of influencers are gonna mob justice!" attitude offers no solution.

And *right now* the groundwork is being laid. There's a number of cases suing the heads of white supremacist websites for ginning up mob justice and they're winning. I bet in 5 years you see that turned around. It'll be a fucking shitshow and for the record I don't think that'll be a good thing, but when you refuse to take a stand because you're literally afraid of the mob turning on you then that might be the only way forward.

This will get worse before it gets better.

Sep 1, 2019, 21:11
Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Sep 1, 2019, 21:11
Sep 1, 2019, 21:11

NKD wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 18:52:
Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 18:35:
And even setting aside suicide, does being a shitty person, as you limit this to, justify a personal and professional Armageddon? Maybe it does, but the speed that we go from accusation to DESTROY THE REST OF THEIR LIFE is disgusting.

It's not like there's any way to control the degree of the response. It's entirely based on how many people are listening to the person making the accusation, and the relative strength of the reputation of the person being accused. If someone with a ton of people listening to them wants to accuse you of some terrible shit, then I don't see how you can stop them. And if the accusations are true, it seems unspeakable to me to entertain the idea of silencing them.

So you're just cool with mob justice. JFC. That's some next level black pill shit. Your life hinges on not offending someone with a lot of followers on social media. And you see this as a good thing. Or at least an inevitable thing not to push back against.

More proof that leaving social media entirely is the right thing to do. Twitter is a malignant tumor on humanity.

Re: Alec Holowka Dead
Sep 1, 2019, 21:07
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 21:07
Sep 1, 2019, 21:07

So I repeat Strider... Been there, done that, survived, came out stronger. Face your fear and grow some balls. If a 6 years old kid can do it, you can too.

Sep 1, 2019, 21:06
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 21:06
Sep 1, 2019, 21:06

Strider83 wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 20:59:
Yeah at least she got to share her truth. Which wasn't much. And someone today is dead because of it. But good for her right!

Strider83... Just for you, quote of one of my former comments, if a 6 YEARS OLD KID can do it and you can't, or won't, what does it says about you or your opinion?:

"Oh BTW, if people think I don't have a problem with letting women talk because I never got accused of something I wasn't. Got bad news for you, I was, at age 6. I got accused of pedophilia at age six and the whole school and village knew and a lot believed it.

At first you could jump to the conclusion that free speech was the problem, but it wasn't. The problem was the belief that existed back then that pedophilia was a sickness transmitted from father to son and so on. So if my grandfather, father of my father, had been found guilty of sexual abuse on a minor, then, by virtue of this bullshit belief, my dad was, so me too.

They were motivated by fear and delusions, so let's not repeat this mistake again here.

Since then this belief has gone the way of the dodo, fortunately, but I lived with the consequences of this accusation and ensuing ostracization/bullying/persecution/psychological scars for decades. I KNOW VERY WELL WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE. And even despite this, I still hold strong that we should NOT muzzle women."

Sep 1, 2019, 21:00
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 21:00
Sep 1, 2019, 21:00

Yes Redeye I love your constant EPIC love affair and Liberal talking points! Makes reading my gaming news complete!

Sep 1, 2019, 20:59
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 20:59
Sep 1, 2019, 20:59

Yeah at least she got to share her truth. Which wasn't much. And someone today is dead because of it. But good for her right!

Sep 1, 2019, 20:58
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 20:58
Sep 1, 2019, 20:58

Strider83 wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 20:50:
This comment has already been reported.
I love this forum Grin
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Sep 1, 2019, 20:54
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 20:54
Sep 1, 2019, 20:54

Strider83 wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 20:50:
I feel sorry for all you liberal feminist men defending Zoe for the murder of this innocent man. I hope for all your efforts at keyboard warriorism and neck beard points it comes back to bite you all in the ASS SOMEDAY. FUCKERS!

Been there, done that, survived, came out stronger. Face your fear and grow some balls.

removed
Sep 1, 2019, 20:50
removed Sep 1, 2019, 20:50
Sep 1, 2019, 20:50

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 2, 2019, 10:01.

Sep 1, 2019, 20:48
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 20:48
Sep 1, 2019, 20:48

Sepharo wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 16:35:
Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 16:32:
Accusations of sexual assault should not be permitted to be made public. If a person is found guilty in a court of law, fine. If not it can - and does - destroy lives. It's just way too easy for anyone looking for fame, fortune, or just having an axe to grind to cause this sort of harm.

What an incredibly dumb idea.

So, you're perfectly fine with someone accusing you of being a pedophile in that case. You're not worried about the repercussions because it's not true, right? Try thinking these things through first, sport.

Who is the one that needs to think things through?
You're arguing against the 1st amendment. And for something beyond the libel and slander procedures we already have.
You're the one not thinking of the slippery slope that declaring something "should not be permitted" when it comes to speech.
Who's going to enforce it? What's the penalty? And so on.

Thinking things through...

edit: Well, I see I was beaten to the punch on many of these points.

Sep 1, 2019, 20:16
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 20:16
Sep 1, 2019, 20:16

Atun Desenfrenado wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 12:28:
Killed by #MeToo

So words killed him? Not the choice he made to kill himself?

As long as no free will infringement occurs, you can't put the blame on free speech. Her words didn't force him to freely choose to commit suicide.

Did it have an impact? Probably, just as an allergen can have an impact on the death of someone who is allergic to that allergen, but is it the allergen's fault or the fault of the immune system for overreacting?

You see, even in the case of removing the choice from the equation, by making it mechanic and automatic, you still can't clearly put the blame on the source of the stimuli. The same stimuli on someone else would've been completely harmless. It's not a case of bullet vs body.

Between choosing to force people to censor themselves ( committing a free will infringement with assured negative consequences, and sometimes also suicides ), or respecting their free will with sometimes negative consequences. I'll choose the latter, every time. It's the only logical choice.

Forcing them to shut up will lead to suffering and suicides, more often than letting them talk, but letting them talk will also lead to suffering and suicides. So it's not where we should focus our attention on solving this problem. See below.

Now with all that said, should there be a system in place to deal with this away from the public eye in an efficient fashion? Yes. But it seems we still aren't ready for that, so when this system fails ( 1 in 3 women will be raped in their lifetime, THINK ABOUT IT, ONE IN THREE, and only a small minority of these rapes lead to convictions ), the only recourse is going public, because the SYSTEM HAS FAILED.

And education/cult-ure failed too, why are men raping on such an epidemic scale? Stop blaming the victims. It's not the women's fault, women don't rape men ( nowhere near as often as men do ), it's the men doing the vast majority of the raping. Why?

That's the real question, that's the root of the problem and it's there we must focus and act to solve it.

EDIT: Oh BTW, if people think I don't have a problem with letting women talk because I never got accused of something I wasn't. Got bad news for you, I was, at age 6. I got accused of pedophilia at age six and the whole school and village knew and a lot believed it.

At first you could jump to the conclusion that free speech was the problem, but it wasn't. The problem was the belief that existed back then that pedophilia was a sickness transmitted from father to son and so on. So if my grandfather, father of my father, had been found guilty of sexual abuse on a minor, then, by virtue of this bullshit belief, my dad was, so me too.

They were motivated by fear and delusions, so let's not repeat this mistake again here.

Since then this belief has gone the way of the dodo, fortunately, but I lived with the consequences of this accusation and ensuing ostracization/bullying/persecution/psychological scars for decades. I KNOW VERY WELL WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE. And even despite this, I still hold strong that we should NOT muzzle women. THINK ABOUT THIS.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2019, 20:56.

Sep 1, 2019, 20:08
NKD
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 20:08
Sep 1, 2019, 20:08
NKD

That's not really a solution. Few people are in a position to file a lawsuit or even hire a halfway competent attorney. And even then, those cases are very hard to win because the burden of proof is on you to prove the allegations are false. It's essentially the reverse of if you were put on a criminal trial.

In a "he said" "she said" situation, this is obviously not possible and we're back to choosing between silencing victims, or leaving it possible for someone to ruin someone else with a false accusation in order to protect victims right to speak out.
"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

Sep 1, 2019, 20:03
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 20:03

This is a really sad situation. It's the result of what I would consider a true Kobayashi Maru - a true no-win scenario. It's easy to jump to knee-jerk reactions that seem like they will solve the problem. Cutter for example, suggests that we don't publish the names of accused unless they've been found guilty in a court of law. On the surface, maybe that makes sense. But you then have to balance it with the fact that one accusation often gives strength and comfort to other people who have been abused, and allows them to come forward and share their story. Not being allowed to accuse someone publicly makes it much harder for police to do their jobs and track down evidence. So the simple solution becomes much more complex. How do you balance someone's right to not be falsely accused against the right to find more victims?

In the same vein, rape allegations are an almost impossible no-win scenario. In the vast majority of cases, there is no evidence that can determine if sex was consensual or forced. Leaving things to the courts means that the majority of rapists go unpunished. As someone who believes in justice, and wants the guilty to be held accountable, that's something I find really bothering. But at the same time, I know for a fact that if we simply accept all rape claims as true, there will be people who weaponize that against people they don't like. That is equally unacceptable. But there really are no better solutions. So we end up stuck in this grey area where most people don't bother going to the police, because it's ineffective, but those people who talk about their alleged rapist publicly get attacked for possibly making the whole thing up.

At the end of the day, I'm just sad that someone lost a brother, or a friend, or whoever he was to the people in his life. He may or may not have been an abuser, but he was still a person, and shouldn't have felt like this was his only option.

Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 20:03

Court is expensive. Most people can not afford it.

Talk is cheap. Anyone can make an accusation.

Sep 1, 2019, 19:42
Beamer

Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 19:42
Sep 1, 2019, 19:42
 Beamer

Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation
Sep 1, 2019, 19:34
Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Sep 1, 2019, 19:34
Sep 1, 2019, 19:34

Kxmode wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 19:27:
NotOneOfUs wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 19:02:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 1, 2019, 19:20.

First one! Grats NotOneOfUs in achieving the coveted
* REMOVED * AWARD.

Would you all knock it the fuck off. People are in pain, and suffering. And I personally owe an apology about my comments regarding the situation with Zoe.

Argue about stupid things tomorrow. Today let it go.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Sep 1, 2019, 19:28
NKD
Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 19:28
Sep 1, 2019, 19:28
NKD

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation
Sep 1, 2019, 19:27
Kxmode

Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Sep 1, 2019, 19:27
Sep 1, 2019, 19:27
 Kxmode

NotOneOfUs wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 19:02:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 1, 2019, 19:20.

First one! Grats NotOneOfUs in achieving the coveted
* REMOVED * AWARD.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Sep 1, 2019, 19:22
Kxmode

Re: Alec Holowka Dead Sep 1, 2019, 19:22
Sep 1, 2019, 19:22
 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 16:35:
Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 16:32:
Accusations of sexual assault should not be permitted to be made public. If a person is found guilty in a court of law, fine. If not it can - and does - destroy lives. It's just way too easy for anyone looking for fame, fortune, or just having an axe to grind to cause this sort of harm.

What an incredibly dumb idea.

Don't go full strawman Cutter.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older