Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store

The Epic Games Store now offers Celeste and Inside for free as the latest of their weekly giveaways. They also reveal The End is Nigh and ABZU as next week's freebies, in case you need to start clearing hard drive space for all these 100% discounts. Here's scant word on the new offerings:
Celeste
Help Madeline survive her inner demons on her journey to the top of Celeste Mountain, in this super-tight platformer from the creators of TowerFall. Brave hundreds of hand-crafted challenges, uncover devious secrets, and piece together the mystery of the mountain.

Inside
Hunted and alone, a boy finds himself drawn into the center of a dark project.
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 13:27 Kxmode

Nimh wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 06:02:
Rusted out white van with "free candy" scrawled on the side.

More appropriate metaphor: a new van without wheels mounted on cinder blocks with "free candy" scrawled on the side.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 11:56 grudgebearer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 11:20:
Man that is downright immoral, illegal, unethicul and uber duper super fattening.
sigh

I know that you are just troll-shilling, but if they are using those inflated numbers to try to swing publishers/devs to agree to exclusivity terms, then yeah, it would be pretty unethical to claim active users who only have Epic freebies on their accounts.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

19. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 11:41 Pr()ZaC

Best freebie EVER!  

18. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 11:20 RedEye9

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 10:46:
Doubt Epic cares too much. People login and get the free game, and Epic can inflate their active user numbers, that's the real goal of them giving away free games.
Man that is downright immoral, illegal, unethicul and uber duper super fattening.
sigh

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

17. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 10:46 Beamer

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 09:49:
Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 08:32:
in case you need to start clearing hard drive space for all these 100% discounts

Here's an interesting question: How many people actually install/play these Freebies they're snagging up, be it from Epic or anywhere else?

In my case, they just go straight into the backlog and the category titled "To play one day."

I have over 400 titles in my Steam library,I typically only play Diablo 3

I don't know if you're being serious, but I have a comparable amount, and I basically only play FTL and XCOM2.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 10:46 grudgebearer

in case you need to start clearing hard drive space for all these 100% discounts

Here's an interesting question: How many people actually install/play these Freebies they're snagging up, be it from Epic or anywhere else?

In my case, they just go straight into the backlog and the category titled "To play one day."

Doubt Epic cares too much. People login and get the free game, and Epic can inflate their active user numbers, that's the real goal of them giving away free games.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

15. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 10:20 Rigs

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 09:49:

Not to stray too far from the topic at hand, I will say that in my 116 games I have in my STEAM library, only 12 are installed. (Most of my games are the real deal, not digital downloads) And of those, only 7 are games that have recently (within a year or so) come out. As for uPlay and Origin , I have 16 games between them, none installed currently. And EGS is not installed currently either, though anything with that would be freebies anyway.

Lately, I've been really getting back into DOS-era games with DOSBox and my DOS collection spans over 20 years and 36 gigs worth. (That doesn't include all the hard copies I have packed up) I've found an anomaly that isn't spoken about much but really surprised me. There's a gap, where games that were released to run on Windows 95, 95 SR2, 98 and 98SE , most under 3D acceleration of one type or another, are not represented >anywhere<. As in, you can't buy them new and you can't download them. And getting them to run under a modern system (Windows 7/8/10) is damn near impossible, or if it does it's seriously subpar. Games like Grand Prix Legends, Total Air War and Independence War, Nascar Racing 3, Motocross Madness, Monster Truck Madness, Midtown Madness (damn, someone needs some anger management!), CART Precision Racing (CPR), Flight Simulator 98/2000/2002, Combat Flight Simulator 2, Front Page Sports Football '98, Sub Culture, Tachyon, Delta Force 1 and 2 (the originals, not the re-releases), Spec Ops, the original Rainbow Six...I could go on and on. For the most part, these games are not available anywhere but physical copies sold on eBay or Amazon. I would >love< to play CFS2 again, I have fond memories of that sim. It was the closest thing to an updated Aces of the Pacific I think we'll ever get. So what's my point? I don't have one, I'm just pointing out something I feel has been overlooked and I know for a fact a lot of you here remember those days very well. It seems strange to me that we have the DOS-era pretty well represented with releases on GOG and we have post-Windows98SE/2000 represented but almost nothing from the space in-between. That's a shame.

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 09:49 Riahderymnmaddog

13. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 09:02 Reactor

Inside is very good, but apparently Celeste is excellent too...  

12. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 08:55 Nailbender

Well, most of my library on the EGS is made of freebies. Out of those, I have installed and played:
Axiom Verge
City of Brass
Kingdom - New Lands (I think it was a freebie...)
Rime
Stories Untold (completed - highly recommended)
Torchlight (completed main quest)

So, here's one who actually installs and plays those free games. They actually offer pretty good ones, especially now with Inside and Celeste (Inside is one of the better gaming experiences I remember).

11. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 08:42 Burrito of Peace

Some of them I play immediately. Others are, as you say, "to play one day". Though some have been extraordinarily helpful when passing time on a plane on a company laptop that has Intel graphics.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

10. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 08:32 Creston

9. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 06:02 Nimh

Rusted out white van with "free candy" scrawled on the side.  

Everyone has a heart, and its calling for something. And were all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

8. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 03:41 Dash

Sneakycamper wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 01:20:
Everyone please Watch out for this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=493&v=8vmbxrDfACo

A cop... with the dreaded Karen haircut.

If you're a manager, I hope you can outrun a taser.

7. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 03:37 noman

Both are awesome games. Epic store continues to offer great free games. Nice to see another alternative digital store to Steam.

6. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 02:21 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 22:10:
I don't even click on their site, it's clickbait as far as I'm concerned.

"Epic won't bribe me!"1

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

5. removed Aug 30, 2019, 01:20 Sneakycamper

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 30, 2019, 09:08.

4. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 30, 2019, 00:01 jacobvandy

Acleacius wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 22:10:

But they need your help if they're going to keep boasting about how many tens of millions of free game installs they've served!

3. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 29, 2019, 22:43 RedEye9

Sweet
I dared to click on the site and nothing bad happened.
Grabbed em both Grin

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

2. Re: Celeste and Inside Free on Epic Games Store Aug 29, 2019, 22:10 Acleacius

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >