Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Abuse Allegation

Night In The Woods Twitter has a series of posts saying that developer Infinite Falls is cutting ties with Alec Holowka, who was coder, composer, and co-designer on Night In The Woods, following the allegation he abused Zoë Quinn (thanks IGN). They say they agonized over this, but take such allegations seriously. As a result they are postponing a planned limited run edition of Night In The Woods and cancelling an unannounced project. Here are the tweets with all the details:
This week, allegations of past abuse have come to light regarding Alec Holowka, who was coder, composer, and co-designer on Night In The Woods. We take such allegations seriously as a team. As a result and after some agonizing consideration, we are cutting ties with Alec.

We are cancelling a current project and postponing the Limited Run physical release. The iOS port is being handled by an outside company and supervised by Finji and will remain in development.

We’ve received a lot of emails and messages in the past few days, often very hurt and angry. That’s also how we feel. This has been very, very tough.

I should say that I’m Scott. Hello. I run this account. I was the artist, lead animator, co-designer, co-writer, and the guy who wrote almost all of that dialogue in the game. Bethany’s here too, she was co-writer and researcher.

Much of Night In The Woods is pulled pretty directly from our lives. Bethany is from a tiny valley in central PA. I’ve lived out here in Western PA for about 20 years. The characters are us, and people we’ve known. The places are ones we know.

Thousands of people have connected with Night In The Woods in a very personal way. We can’t tell you how to feel about any of this. Whatever you’re feeling is valid. Your experience with art is yours. What it means to you is yours, regardless of anything else.

Going forward, Night In The Woods will be handled by Bethany and I. We’re not sure what that all means yet. This stuff takes time.

Thanks for your support over the years. We’re sorry to even have to say any of this. That’s all I can say at the moment. Thank you for your patience.
View
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

107. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Sep 1, 2019, 19:08 Kxmode

ventry wrote on Aug 31, 2019, 19:40:
Rilcon wrote on Aug 31, 2019, 18:26:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/31/night-in-the-woods-developer-accused-of-sexual-assault-dies

Alec Holowka appears to have committed suicide.

Ah yes. Twatter now has another confirmed kill.
Twatter: the modern day witch hunt.
Due process be damned.

Yup. Vigilante justice at its worse.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

106. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Abuse Allegation Sep 1, 2019, 10:53 Red886

105. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Sep 1, 2019, 01:03 NKD

Due process be damned.

Do you know what "due process" means? Hint: If the state isn't involved, neither is due process.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

104. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 31, 2019, 23:54 eRe4s3r

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/31/night-in-the-woods-developer-accused-of-sexual-assault-dies

Due process be damned.

Just saying, but Zoe Quinn deleted her twitter account. The only correct decision here, keeping witch hunts of asocial media is how it should have been.

Not everyone is smart enough for that though

103. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 31, 2019, 20:18 RedEye9

What did his sister have to say about him I wonder.
Let's take a looksie shall we.
Alec was a victim of abuse and he also spent a lifetime battling mood and personality disorders. I will not pretend that he was not also responsible for causing harm,...
Sucks that he was mentally ill and couldn't keep his hands to himself.
It is a shame that he chose a permanent solution to halt the circle of abuse.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

102. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 31, 2019, 19:40 ventry

Due process be damned.

101. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 31, 2019, 18:26 Rilcon

100. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 22:54 ventry

Beamer wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 21:49:
ventry wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 19:58:
"By guys wearing MAGA hats. Who Smollett claimed said "This is MAGA country".
He was smearing a WHOLE group of people.
Open your eyes.

Bit late to the party but, some of us are too busy to post here every day.

Yup, those incel forums probably are time consuming for you...

Yep. Nothing but, insults when you got found out "cherry picking".
Always remember:
To insult me first, I have to give a shit about what you say.

In your hands, due process is dead. Thank fuck the American people don't take lightweights like you seriously.

https://streamable.com/pdazf

LOL!!

Hear the people laughing?
They're not only laughing at Dave's performance and Jussie, they are laughing at dullards like you who bought into that blatantly, obvious bullshit.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2019, 23:50.

99. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 22:04 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 21:49:
Ouch. You may wanna ease up, Halon can only do so much. Flamethrower

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

98. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 21:49 Beamer

ventry wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 19:58:
Open your eyes.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

97. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 21:23 ventry

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 20:14:
MAGA
We love it when you don't post, so please do more of what keeps you busy.

AWWW! Poor baby. I thought you had me on ignore??
Still waiting for those nukes LOL!

96. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 20:14 RedEye9

MAGA
Morons Are Governing Amerika
Or
Mexicans Always Get Across

We love it when you don't post, so please do more of what keeps you busy.

95. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 19:58 ventry

Open your eyes.

94. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 10:00 Beamer

Red886 wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 03:07:
Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 13:48:
Red886 wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 13:19:
Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 07:28:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 01:16:
NKD wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 00:52:
The court of public opinion has always been about perceived credibility. How many false accusations have we simply not heard about because the accuser wasn't at all credible and couldn't get anyone to amplify their shit? On the other side of the coin, we have people who aren't at all credible whose accusations were genuine but their social standing or history prevented people from taking them seriously.

It's hard to know exactly to what degree these sort of accusations can be weaponized, as we tend to only hear about it when it happens to gain traction. It creates a survivorship bias where we don't see the false accusations that went nowhere and were correctly dismissed. Certainly when the accusation goes wide, it's devastating.

But how easy is that to do? At minimum you've got to have someone who has spent alone time with you, and is pissed at you. That person also has to have someone with a strong social media presence who has the ability and willingness to amplify their accusation, otherwise they are just yelling at a cloud.

I'd be super interested to see a study/experiment done where a scenario is drummed up so a fictional accuser goes after some fictional accused. They could test for how exactly different variables effect the success or failure of an accusation. They could even fabricate differing levels of evidence for each scenario.

You share good points. However, you don't need a study or experiment. It exists in the form of the Duke lacrosse case and, not related to rape but related to public opinion, the Centennial Olympic Park bombing. In the former, the "media presence" was the university the three individuals went to coupled with the "victim" using survivorship bias to drum up sympathy. In the later, the bomb ignited on U.S. soil during the 1996 Olympic event about a year after the Oklahoma City Bombing. Everyone was angry and wanted justice, which led to mob mentality and a borderline drumhead resulting in the media gutting Richard Jewell's life. In both cases, the coverage was intense. In both cases, all individuals targeted had their lives destroyed. That's why the court of public opinion is brutal. It's why it took Monica Lewinsky decades to have a semblance of peace.
No one had their lives destroyed at Duke. The media was immediately skeptical, it was the idiot prosecutor who wasn't (his life was destroyed.)

Can you name a single false accusation that was shocking? You keep harping on Duke. No one believed her because her story was garbage. Yet the mocking of her definitely kept others with true stories from coming forward.

You easily empathize with those falsely accused, because you can see yourself there. But false accusations are exceedingly rare. It happens to, what, 1 in 50,000 men? 1 in 500,000? 1 in 5 women get raped in the us. 1 in 3 experiences sexual violence. The numbers aren't even comparable. But any time there's a discussion of rape, frightened men immediately need a deep discussion on the state of false accusations in this country.

Smollett.
and he got away with it

oh you mean sexual
then Kavanaugh

or do you mean for profit?
then MICHAEL JACKSON
people even profit by making documentaries after he is dead to profit off false accusations

or you mean something within the circles Zoe hangs out with
then Vic Mignogna

Wait, you think that people got away with false accusations of Kavanaugh? Furthermore, you're willing to put your credibility on the line that they're false?

Even moreso, you're willing to say Michael Jackson is innocent?!

Lastly, the Smollet incident is different, no, as it wasn't to smear somoene?

all yes to that

see, even you are making false accusations. Do you believe in the RussianHoax too? you really do let mass media take power over your beliefs oh so easily.

Smollet = you think false lynching claims does not target someone? i;m not going to answer that in this forum

Smollett didn't say "this guy attacked me," he said "I was attacked." Do you not see a difference between that situation and this one?

Probably not. You think Michael Jackson is innocent.

-------------

93. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 09:09 Prez

I have to think, though obviously I don't know for sure, that Scott and Bethany at least talked to Holowka before cutting ties with him. Regardless, they were put in a no-win situation with these accusations. If they kept him on they would be accused of being tolerant of sexual assault by a significant portion of the community and likely suffer backlash. Firing him makes it look to many that they are reacting to social media accusations without knowing if he is guilty or not. If it were me, I'm not sure what I would do.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

92. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 03:09 Red886

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 13:40:
Red886 wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 13:29:
once you get above a certain pay grade, the contract that you sign wouldn't allow getting fired for no reason.

Nope. Whatever contract you sign must still be in compliance with local, state, and federal law. Now, the company can abrogate that right if they so choose (hint: they never do in a Right to Work state because it opens them up to legal jeopardy) but it would be exceptionally uncommon for it to happen. Regardless of the position or salary attached.

better contracts terms is ABOVE the minimum required by law.

go find a lawyer and ask whether his contracts says it is ok for him to be fired by his firm in a RIGHTTOWORK state.

heck, go ask a CEO, and he will tell you he's no farmhand.

91. Re: Re: Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 30, 2019, 03:07 Red886

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 13:48:
Red886 wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 13:19:
Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 07:28:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 01:16:
NKD wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 00:52:
The court of public opinion has always been about perceived credibility. How many false accusations have we simply not heard about because the accuser wasn't at all credible and couldn't get anyone to amplify their shit? On the other side of the coin, we have people who aren't at all credible whose accusations were genuine but their social standing or history prevented people from taking them seriously.

It's hard to know exactly to what degree these sort of accusations can be weaponized, as we tend to only hear about it when it happens to gain traction. It creates a survivorship bias where we don't see the false accusations that went nowhere and were correctly dismissed. Certainly when the accusation goes wide, it's devastating.

But how easy is that to do? At minimum you've got to have someone who has spent alone time with you, and is pissed at you. That person also has to have someone with a strong social media presence who has the ability and willingness to amplify their accusation, otherwise they are just yelling at a cloud.

I'd be super interested to see a study/experiment done where a scenario is drummed up so a fictional accuser goes after some fictional accused. They could test for how exactly different variables effect the success or failure of an accusation. They could even fabricate differing levels of evidence for each scenario.

You share good points. However, you don't need a study or experiment. It exists in the form of the Duke lacrosse case and, not related to rape but related to public opinion, the Centennial Olympic Park bombing. In the former, the "media presence" was the university the three individuals went to coupled with the "victim" using survivorship bias to drum up sympathy. In the later, the bomb ignited on U.S. soil during the 1996 Olympic event about a year after the Oklahoma City Bombing. Everyone was angry and wanted justice, which led to mob mentality and a borderline drumhead resulting in the media gutting Richard Jewell's life. In both cases, the coverage was intense. In both cases, all individuals targeted had their lives destroyed. That's why the court of public opinion is brutal. It's why it took Monica Lewinsky decades to have a semblance of peace.
No one had their lives destroyed at Duke. The media was immediately skeptical, it was the idiot prosecutor who wasn't (his life was destroyed.)

Can you name a single false accusation that was shocking? You keep harping on Duke. No one believed her because her story was garbage. Yet the mocking of her definitely kept others with true stories from coming forward.

You easily empathize with those falsely accused, because you can see yourself there. But false accusations are exceedingly rare. It happens to, what, 1 in 50,000 men? 1 in 500,000? 1 in 5 women get raped in the us. 1 in 3 experiences sexual violence. The numbers aren't even comparable. But any time there's a discussion of rape, frightened men immediately need a deep discussion on the state of false accusations in this country.

Smollett.
and he got away with it

oh you mean sexual
then Kavanaugh

or do you mean for profit?
then MICHAEL JACKSON
people even profit by making documentaries after he is dead to profit off false accusations

or you mean something within the circles Zoe hangs out with
then Vic Mignogna

Wait, you think that people got away with false accusations of Kavanaugh? Furthermore, you're willing to put your credibility on the line that they're false?

Even moreso, you're willing to say Michael Jackson is innocent?!

Lastly, the Smollet incident is different, no, as it wasn't to smear somoene?

all yes to that

see, even you are making false accusations. Do you believe in the RussianHoax too? you really do let mass media take power over your beliefs oh so easily.

Smollet = you think false lynching claims does not target someone? i;m not going to answer that in this forum

90. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 29, 2019, 21:33 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 18:54:
Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 07:22:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 22:56:
Saying rape without proof can destroy people's lives and careers.

What proof can be offered for rape? You can prove sex happened, but without witnesses, not rape. The only evidence is your word.

And if it's sexual abuse other than rape, there's often no proof there was even contact.

Tell me what additional proof you'd like.

The kind that is present in a courtroom so that either a judge or jury can make an educated decision for guilt or innocence. Twitter is not a courtroom, and the court of public opinion isn't a replacement for what happens in a court of law. Every citizen is afforded due process and remains innocent UNTIL proven guilty. That will NEVER happen on Twitter where it is unadulterated mob mentality.

This literally is the evidence presented in a courtroom... All there is is his word and hers.

-------------

89. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 29, 2019, 21:08 Verno

The idea that if you somehow don't share someones viewpoint that you're "for rape" is childish and absurd. People have enough empathy for victims of sexual violence and those falsely accused of it, they're not mutually exclusive. Of course people here are discussing it from a male perspective, not exactly a shock considering most are men. Given that we have little to no actual evidence/facts people are discussing nuances surrounding the overall issues which is all we can do.  

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

88. Re: Infinite Falls Fires Designer & Cancels Game Over Assault Allegation Aug 29, 2019, 20:37 Kxmode

Squirmer wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 19:21:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 19:06:
How many false accusations should you consider as immoral to justify the 92% that is true? If your answer is zero then, you sir, are correct. A single false allegation is WRONG. There's no such thing as "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." When one false accusation can destroy a person's life and reputation, and potentially lead to suicide, there's no room for false allegations.
Another thing that can lead to suicide is rape. It might sound nice to say "innocent until proven guilty" but that's exactly why the majority of sexual assaults are not even reported. You're concerned about the occasional man who might be wrongly accused but don't seem to care about the majority of actual victims who have to live with the trauma, while the offender probably goes on to abuse others too.

Re: "You're concerned about the occasional man who might be wrongly accused but don't seem to care about the majority of actual victims who have to live with the trauma." Never go full strawman.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >