Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity

There's a new twist in the discussion of whether DARQ will be sold on the Epic Games Store (thanks Verno). Unfold Games tweets that if Epic chooses to offer their game without exclusivity they will donate 100% of their EGS revenue to a charity of the game community's choosing. This comes in response to a tweet from Tim Sweeney saying, "We’re happy to see DARQ succeed because it’s a great game and it deserves succees [sic]. That’s why we contacted them to explore exclusivity. 😜" This all follows a recent exchange where Unfold turned down an offer to sell DARQ exclusively on the Epic Games Store because they'd already committed to releasing the game on Steam. Here is the tweet from Unfold Games, which has drawn a number of comments both positive and negative calling it a canny move to generate publicity:
Tim, I’m glad to hear that. If you change your mind and accept DARQ to your store non-exclusively, I’ll donate 100% of my EGS revenue to a charity. If you accept, the charity can be picked by the gaming’s community at a later date.
View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity
Sep 22, 2019, 17:43
Beamer

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Sep 22, 2019, 17:43
Sep 22, 2019, 17:43
 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 23:39:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 21:49:
Penny Arcade's take on EGS exclusivity is beautiful and humorous.

Tycho's post on it was good too.

Ending with,
It’s not clear to me why people carry so much fucking water for this thing.
That's something I don't get either.
But at the same time I don't see the need to be so militantly against it either.
Just don't get how people can't acknowledge that it's a dick move, the store is junk, and none of it's beneficial for the consumer despite many attempts to argue otherwise.

It's a reaction to reactions. Other than RedEye, who really "carries water" for it? But I've seen people call it evil here. Evil. And elsewhere, people act like it was made by Satan himself.

It's hard not to feel as if there's a ridiculous overreaction.

Re: Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity
Sep 22, 2019, 15:50
Re: Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Sep 22, 2019, 15:50
Sep 22, 2019, 15:50

Barry allen wrote on Sep 22, 2019, 13:39:
Unfold Games has offered to donate all its revenue from the Epic Games Store to charity if it's released on the marketplace - as long as it gets a non-exclusivity deal for Darq.
Since when did indie devs start writing the rules for storefronts. This was just a developer trying to get his 15 minutes of Andy Warhol fame.
disgusting if you ask me
655 reviews on Steam. Charities would be rolling in the doh dough Wall2 .
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Sep 22, 2019, 14:27
Re: Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Sep 22, 2019, 14:27
Sep 22, 2019, 14:27

Barry allen wrote on Sep 22, 2019, 13:39:
Unfold Games has offered to donate all its revenue from the Epic Games Store to charity if it's released on the marketplace - as long as it gets a non-exclusivity deal for Darq.

Yep

Sep 22, 2019, 13:39
Re: Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Sep 22, 2019, 13:39
Sep 22, 2019, 13:39

Unfold Games has offered to donate all its revenue from the Epic Games Store to charity if it's released on the marketplace - as long as it gets a non-exclusivity deal for Darq. shareit https://get-vidmateapk.com

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2019, 08:46.

Aug 29, 2019, 00:47
Kxmode

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 29, 2019, 00:47
Aug 29, 2019, 00:47
 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 23:39:
Just don't get how people can't acknowledge that it's a dick move, the store is junk, and none of it's beneficial for the consumer despite many attempts to argue otherwise.

I think most people get it and especially when you see a Penny Arcade comic basically eviscerating Epic's exclusivity. The people who don't get it have already drunk the Epic Kool-Aid, or they hate Steam so much that they're in the Anything-But-Steam camp (likely as former GOG users who switched over once Epic started getting titles that won't come to GOG for years if ever). There's really nothing that can be done to convince them otherwise. Well, except maybe for that one guy.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 28, 2019, 23:39
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 23:39
Aug 28, 2019, 23:39

Kxmode wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 21:49:

Tycho's post on it was good too.

Ending with,
It’s not clear to me why people carry so much fucking water for this thing.
That's something I don't get either.
But at the same time I don't see the need to be so militantly against it either.

Aug 28, 2019, 21:49
Kxmode

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 21:49
Aug 28, 2019, 21:49
 Kxmode

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 28, 2019, 12:03
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 12:03
Aug 28, 2019, 12:03

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 09:15:
So it isn't shady. Shady is choosing to only carry indie games if they're exclusive as a way to punish devs not going exclusive - a business decision that it's exclusive or bust. Not shady is choosing to only focus your limited resources on something customers will buy from you.

You don't actually know this though.

Aug 28, 2019, 11:21
Beamer

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 11:21
Aug 28, 2019, 11:21
 Beamer

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 10:17:
Again, though, I really don't think it's shady.

We know everything on EGS is a manual process. Cloud saving is only available for games in which it's manually set up. It's a fairly safe assumption getting games up and running on the store is comparably manual. It's probably pretty intensive. Again, nothing very new here - often you design something manually before you build the automated process, because you need to go through it a few times to see how it actually works, instead of how you theorize it would work.

In which case, EGS needs to spend a lot of time getting these games up and running. If you were EGS, which products would you focus on? AAA games that will sell hundreds of thousands of copies, or indie games that may sell mere thousands? Your limiting factor is man hours, so you don't have resources to apply to every single game that wants up.

Like any business, you focus on what will bring you customers. AAA will bring you customers. Exclusives will bring you customers. Indie games available in a dozen places will not. You will likely not get back the time you invest in getting it up.

So it isn't shady. Shady is choosing to only carry indie games if they're exclusive as a way to punish devs not going exclusive - a business decision that it's exclusive or bust. Not shady is choosing to only focus your limited resources on something customers will buy from you.

You typed that as if it doesn't cost Valve, Gog, Ubisoft or EA money to host and sell an indie game. Epic's back end is rushed-to-market trash, so they get a pass on telling indie devs that it's either be exclusive, or you can't put your game on our platform?

It's Epic's store they can do what they want, but let's not pretend that their behavior is the norm.

Not host. Set up. Getting a game up on Steam is super easy, and doesn't require any man-hours from Valve. It's been fully automated for years and years.

On EGS, it sounds as if some engineer has to spend significant time getting something up.

Aug 28, 2019, 10:17
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 10:17
Aug 28, 2019, 10:17

We know everything on EGS is a manual process. Cloud saving is only available for games in which it's manually set up. It's a fairly safe assumption getting games up and running on the store is comparably manual. It's probably pretty intensive. Again, nothing very new here - often you design something manually before you build the automated process, because you need to go through it a few times to see how it actually works, instead of how you theorize it would work.

In which case, EGS needs to spend a lot of time getting these games up and running. If you were EGS, which products would you focus on? AAA games that will sell hundreds of thousands of copies, or indie games that may sell mere thousands? Your limiting factor is man hours, so you don't have resources to apply to every single game that wants up.

Like any business, you focus on what will bring you customers. AAA will bring you customers. Exclusives will bring you customers. Indie games available in a dozen places will not. You will likely not get back the time you invest in getting it up.

You typed that as if it doesn't cost Valve, Gog, Ubisoft or EA money to host and sell an indie game. Epic's back end is rushed-to-market trash, so they get a pass on telling indie devs that it's either be exclusive, or you can't put your game on our platform?

It's Epic's store they can do what they want, but let's not pretend that their behavior is the norm.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Aug 28, 2019, 10:01
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 10:01
Aug 28, 2019, 10:01

Do you know why people aren't discussomg Steam, GoG or any other stores to this extent when they pout games up for purchase, have sales, etc.?

Because they're not doing anything this shady.

Aug 28, 2019, 09:15
Beamer

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 09:15
Aug 28, 2019, 09:15
 Beamer

Quinn wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 12:23:
Ok this is pretty epic! And since I heard EGS is fucking over Indie devs with their "exclusivity or nothing!" practice, I have completely switched sides. Fuck EGS. Let's see that shady fuck buckle!

Aug 28, 2019, 02:36
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 02:36
Aug 28, 2019, 02:36

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 14:50:
He's such a charitable guy, I wonder if he's willing to donate 15% of the Steam sales to charity.
Peering through the steam it's clear this is nothing but a dev trying to get his 10 minutes of fame, and failing.

Don't go full retard...

The whole charity on EGS thing is to hope EGS will put his game on EGS without exclusive deal. You post is probably the stupidest post of the month.

I know there are many Steam hate like yourself, at least hate with logic.
“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Aug 28, 2019, 02:23
Kxmode

Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 28, 2019, 02:23
Aug 28, 2019, 02:23
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 13:00:
shots fired rowr - yawn
Someone might mention to him that it is the storefront who makes the rules and not the other way around.
The darq dev's asshole is showing, but all publicity is good publicity. Amirite

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 14:50:
He's such a charitable guy, I wonder if he's willing to donate 15% of the Steam sales to charity.
Peering through the steam it's clear this is nothing but a dev trying to get his 10 minutes of fame, and failing.

You exposed your true self here. No one is going to take your defense of EGS, Epic, or Tim Sweeney serious now.

Aug 27, 2019, 23:23
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 27, 2019, 23:23
Aug 27, 2019, 23:23

indeed true !!

Aug 27, 2019, 19:33
NKD
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 27, 2019, 19:33
Aug 27, 2019, 19:33
NKD

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 19:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 18:14:
Ok this is pretty epic! And since I heard EGS is fucking over Indie devs with their "exclusivity or nothing!" practice, I have completely switched sides. Fuck EGS. Let's see that shady fuck buckle!

Where is Derek Smart now who was arguing against me months ago when I was saying this is how EGS operates with indies?

You need to say his name three times.

Denny Crane! Denny Crane! Denny Crane!

Oh wait
Thou art an artless, greasy tallow-catch.

Aug 27, 2019, 19:11
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 27, 2019, 19:11
Aug 27, 2019, 19:11

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 19:05:

Where is Derek Smart now who was arguing against me months ago when I was saying this is how EGS operates with indies?

I'd really rather not Although maybe quoting counts too, in which case.. run for the hills!

Aug 27, 2019, 19:07
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 27, 2019, 19:07
Aug 27, 2019, 19:07

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 19:03:
Drayth wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 18:35:
Tim Sweeney doesn't negotiate with terrorists.

Maybe, but would that be better or worse than making a cheeky response to an anonymous troll account (zero info, 1 follower, 1 following) to start this whole thing rolling? Dude has a serious Twitter addiction.

Not sure what you're saying. My post was simple sarcasm, nothing more.

And I just knew someone was going to take it serious.

Aug 27, 2019, 19:05
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 27, 2019, 19:05
Aug 27, 2019, 19:05

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Aug 27, 2019, 19:03
Re: Unfold Offers DARQ Money to Charity for EGS Non-Exclusivity Aug 27, 2019, 19:03
Aug 27, 2019, 19:03

Drayth wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 18:35:
Tim Sweeney doesn't negotiate with terrorists.

Maybe, but would that be better or worse than making a cheeky response to an anonymous troll account (zero info, 1 follower, 1 following) to start this whole thing rolling? Dude has a serious Twitter addiction.
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older