World of Warcraft Classic Launches

Blizzard News announces the long-awaited launch of World of Warcraft Classic, allowing players to return to the good old days of their MMORPG. They offer a musical video called A Toast to 15 Years to celebrate the news along with a behind-the-scenes video with the developers to illustrate the news. They also share links to a WoW Classic Primer for New Players, a World of Warcraft Classic FAQ, a list of World of Warcraft Classic Community Resources, and a Q&A Compilation. There's also this press release with more details:
Grizzled veterans and hardy newcomers alike can now experience Azeroth as it was in its earliest days with World of Warcraft® Classic, which is live starting today and included at no additional cost as part of everyone’s WoW® subscription globally. World of Warcraft Classic has been a labor of love for Blizzard, and the result is an authentic re-creation of the pre-expansion game in its most feature-complete state, as it was during 2006’s “Drums of War” update (patch 1.12.0). Blizzard has continued to bring WoW Classic realms online around the world to accommodate the more than two million players who have created characters in anticipation of today’s launch, and will work to add more based on player population trends.

World of Warcraft®, which has been played by more than 140 million players over the past 15 years,* has evolved considerably across seven expansions, with numerous features, enhancements, and quality-of-life improvements. In many ways, World of Warcraft Classic is more unrelenting and demanding of self-direction from players than today’s version of the game. Bonds among the community are paramount—activities like raids and dungeon runs must be organized collectively by players on the same realm, with the toughest challenges requiring 40 coordinated and committed souls to surmount.

Classic’s Azeroth is equal parts wonder and hazard, and its trials will push players to their limits. The Alliance and the Horde, in the midst of outright war, are made to reckon with forces whose powers transcend their own brutal conflict—including some of the most iconic and love-hated of villains of the Warcraft® universe, like Ragnaros the Firelord and the Archlich Kel’Thuzad.

“It’s been a long time coming, but we’re overjoyed to welcome our friends new and old to classic Azeroth,” said J. Allen Brack, president of Blizzard Entertainment. “The community’s excitement is infectious and deeply motivating—it’s clear they’re as thrilled as we are to relive the World of Warcraft Classic experience. We look forward to rediscovering its wonders and challenges together with them, starting today.”

World of Warcraft Classic will continue to expand in the weeks and months following today’s launch, allowing players the opportunity to live through pivotal moments in Azeroth history previously lost to time. Among the host of features and activities set to be introduced to the game across six phases are iconic raids like Blackwing Lair, Zul’Gurub, and Naxxramas; player-versus-player battlegrounds like Warsong Gulch, Arathi Basin, and the classic version of Alterac Valley; and time-limited server-wide events like the Ahn’Qiraj War Effort, and the Scourge Invasion.

View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches
Aug 27, 2019, 18:38
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 18:38
Aug 27, 2019, 18:38

heroin wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 12:25:
No quest markers, slower-pace, better ambiance than the newer stuff, the world is unified (layered I suppose but more unified than being spread out amongst 7 expansions). Sure, it's a time-sink but this 15 year older version is also better than most games being developed these days in my opinion

I'm finding everyone to be really pleasant to be around as well. Buffs being handed out. Food/water from mages. Groups being formed for quests. Maybe that's just because there are so many people in the area, but I don't recall anything like that on the recent expansions. I look forward to keeping the communities in tact, even if I am mostly a solo player. Unless I quit.

Aug 27, 2019, 18:21
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 18:21
Aug 27, 2019, 18:21

Osc8r wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 18:09:
Yay, let's play the game that completely ruined the MMO genre...
There was an MMO genre before WoW? Okay, technically there was, but really it re-started/re-set the genre. There weren't a lot of developers interested in MMOs, until WoW went crazy with multiple millions of users...

I will admit they simplified the game over time, some of that was good, a lot of it was bad. But whatca' gonna do? I know I got a good 10,000+ hours out of the game.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 27, 2019, 18:09
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 18:09
Aug 27, 2019, 18:09

Yay, let's play the game that completely ruined the MMO genre and turned into a console grindfest, including the PVP.

Good times!

Aug 27, 2019, 12:36
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 12:36
Aug 27, 2019, 12:36

World of Warcraft Classic has been a labor of love for Blizzard

Grumbling acquiescence is more like it.

Aug 27, 2019, 12:25
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 12:25
Aug 27, 2019, 12:25

I really liked AssCreed Odyssey. That's been about the only game I've sunk a lot of time into. One of the great things they did in that game was get rid of quest markers (to a degree), so one would have to follow directions & explore to find the objective. And the world in Odyssey is just crazy beautiful.

In some ways Odyssey reminded me of old WoW. Never would have thought I'd like to go back to WoW Classic but it's great. No quest markers, slower-pace, better ambiance than the newer stuff, the world is unified (layered I suppose but more unified than being spread out amongst 7 expansions). Sure, it's a time-sink but this 15 year older version is also better than most games being developed these days in my opinion

Aug 27, 2019, 12:07
Kxmode

Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 12:07
Aug 27, 2019, 12:07
 Kxmode

Estimates put WOW at about 1.2 millions subs. They said, "more than two million players who have created characters in anticipation of today’s launch." So let's suppose "more than 2 million" means about 2.2 million.
That's one million subs at $15.00 comes out to $15 million in new revenue or $33 million total.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 27, 2019, 10:58
Kxmode

Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 10:58
Aug 27, 2019, 10:58
 Kxmode

Darks wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 10:51:
Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 08:00:
Nostalgia is fun but this game sucks up too much time to bother going down the rabbit hole again.
Honestly, I dont understand why anyone wants to go back to this older version that was nothing but a heavy grind fest.

If you have to ask or wonder such a thing you'll never understand.

I've said it repeatedly to the lot of you that Classic WOW is not for you and that's okay. In your case case Darks, you have too "many other games to deal with."
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Aug 27, 2019, 10:51
Darks

Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 10:51
Aug 27, 2019, 10:51
 Darks

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 08:00:
Nostalgia is fun but this game sucks up too much time to bother going down the rabbit hole again.

Yep. same here. I played this a lot once before. but Im not about to get back into this game again. Got way to many other games to deal with.

Honestly, I dont understand why anyone wants to go back to this older version that was nothing but a heavy grind fest.

That was why the game evolved into what it is now because there were to many complaints about the grind.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Aug 27, 2019, 10:12
Kxmode

Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 10:12
Aug 27, 2019, 10:12
 Kxmode

World of Warcraft broke Twitch's record for most viewers with 1.5 million.

Aug 27, 2019, 09:17
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 09:17
Aug 27, 2019, 09:17

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 07:12:
Cram wrote on Aug 26, 2019, 20:23:
160k people are watching Asmongold play this. Jesus Christ.

Damn near hit 300k at one point which more or less means he held half the numbers of the total amount of Warcraft viewers across Twitch.

Pretty bonkers.

And then he crashed out of his realm and was hit with a 20k queue.
Haha. Please tell me he sat there and waited for the entire queue with 10s of thousands of people watching... it is the only thing which would be crazier.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Aug 27, 2019, 09:04
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 09:04
Aug 27, 2019, 09:04

Luke wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 02:35:
Soon the sheep's will wakeup and see EVERYTHING has changed it's not the same ....but the memories are still there and they are better than the real classic thing.

As my brother in law once said to me about turning my nose up at something my sister was eating....

"Are you eating that? Then shut the fuck up!"

The sheep asked for something, the sheep were answered, and the sheep are happy. Who am I to argue with the sheep.

Aug 27, 2019, 08:29
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 08:29
Aug 27, 2019, 08:29

while I get the nostalgia part, I just do not understand it in Wow. Especially people who think a pvp server was special. The most lame pvp ever.

You will not catch me wasting time with this

Aug 27, 2019, 08:00
Verno

Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 08:00
Aug 27, 2019, 08:00
 Verno

Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula

Aug 27, 2019, 07:25
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 07:25
Aug 27, 2019, 07:25

Quinn wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 04:04:
Frode wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 03:44:
Quinn wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 03:27:
A friend and myself rolled new characters like half a year ago. The "classic" part was pure fucking agony, dungeons included, and we couldn't get to the expansion content soon enough.
Did you somehow play what's currently referred to as WoW Classic at that time, or just roll new characters in "modern" WoW? Because if the latter, the _whole point_ is that that experience is not even remotely comparable to Classic.

I obviously can't speak to whether it would be your cup of tea or not, but gameplay wise they are so different I'd argue they can be thought of as different games within the same setting.

It was modern WoW. But my point is that we just wanted to run through the content asap because our goal was just to level up and journey through the classic part was just terrible, because it felt really old. The dungeon design was much more boring than the expansion dungeons. As you can figure, that complaint won't disappear with Classic WoW. It will probably be worse.

World PVP might bring back some good memories, sure, but I'm fairly certain none of us now older people can stumach the terribly slow pace of the quests and the necessary grinds. After all, most of us no longer live a worriless life in mother's basement.

The classic dungeons were a lot more fun then the new 15 minutes run trough dungeons. You needed to plan your pulls carefully, and they took time and wipes, lot's of them sometimes.

I managed to get in the game last night, got to lvl 4 as an undead warrior, it does feel like old wow which is nice if that is what you want.

Aug 27, 2019, 07:12
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 07:12
Aug 27, 2019, 07:12

Damn near hit 300k at one point which more or less means he held half the numbers of the total amount of Warcraft viewers across Twitch.

Pretty bonkers.

And then he crashed out of his realm and was hit with a 20k queue.

Aug 27, 2019, 06:33
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 06:33
Aug 27, 2019, 06:33

Quinn wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 04:04:
It was modern WoW. But my point is that we just wanted to run through the content asap because our goal was just to level up and journey through the classic part was just terrible, because it felt really old.

We differ quite a bit in what we want from the game, then. I always found the end-game content to be boring and much preferred the leveling experience. Modern WoW, to me, made the leveling experience so simple and uninteresting that there was no reason to keep playing, so I quit.

I do believe you'll hate classic. Considering they revamped the lower levels with Cataclysm, to try to cater to the new audience, the original classic will likely be unendurable for you as it's even further removed from what you prefer.

Aug 27, 2019, 05:23
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 05:23
Aug 27, 2019, 05:23

Damn 160k following an idiot!
Imagine if it were that easy to round up people and free space.

Aug 27, 2019, 04:20
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 04:20
Aug 27, 2019, 04:20

A lot has grown, improved and evolved along the WoW lifetime...making live better in some ways

A lot has broken, disconnected players, trivialised experienced...making live so much worse in many ways.

I think WoW classic is on par with what we've got, but it has an opportunity to grow WoW in a way that doesn't follow the same bad decisions that Live did. Introduce TBC and WotLK but without achievements, flying and group finder...remove level caps and have people still raid MC, Kara, Nax and ICC...all with some value.

Wow Classic could become WoW done correctly!

Aug 27, 2019, 04:04
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 04:04
Aug 27, 2019, 04:04

Frode wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 03:44:
A friend and myself rolled new characters like half a year ago. The "classic" part was pure fucking agony, dungeons included, and we couldn't get to the expansion content soon enough.
Did you somehow play what's currently referred to as WoW Classic at that time, or just roll new characters in "modern" WoW? Because if the latter, the _whole point_ is that that experience is not even remotely comparable to Classic.

I obviously can't speak to whether it would be your cup of tea or not, but gameplay wise they are so different I'd argue they can be thought of as different games within the same setting.

It was modern WoW. But my point is that we just wanted to run through the content asap because our goal was just to level up and journey through the classic part was just terrible, because it felt really old. The dungeon design was much more boring than the expansion dungeons. As you can figure, that complaint won't disappear with Classic WoW. It will probably be worse.

World PVP might bring back some good memories, sure, but I'm fairly certain none of us now older people can stumach the terribly slow pace of the quests and the necessary grinds. After all, most of us no longer live a worriless life in mother's basement.

Aug 27, 2019, 03:44
Re: World of Warcraft Classic Launches Aug 27, 2019, 03:44
Aug 27, 2019, 03:44

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older