Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives

Speaking with CD Projekt RED's Marcin Traczyk at Gamescom, PCGamesN learned that the company is not pursuing exclusive deals with the Epic Games Store. GOG.com is actually owned by CD Projekt RED, so that would be a more logical store for Cyberpunk 2077 exclusivity. But word is their experience with a brief GOG.com exclusivity for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales has them thinking this type of deal doesn't work for them anywhere:

"With Thronebreaker, we started with an exclusive, and decided to share it with a wider audience," global communications manager Marcin Traczyk tells us at Gamescom. "It proved to us that exclusives maybe don’t work for us, because we don’t want to limit the number of people who can access the game."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 25, 2019, 23:30 Parallax Abstraction

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 19:45:
Be Forewarned; For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. There are no ways around it. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. This is serious sticks and stones stuff, I just thought you should know, I wish you the best.

Yeah, massive strawmanning really helps lend credence to your arguments.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 25, 2019, 18:21 Cutter

They never said they weren't against selling on other platforms, just that they're anti-exclusive as everyone else should be.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

26. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Aug 25, 2019, 13:01 CJ_Parker

Kajetan wrote on Aug 25, 2019, 11:50:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 25, 2019, 08:34:
So what exactly is better about "cluttering up" your PC with a bunch of installers (assuming you don't use Galaxy since it is storefront clutter) than a bunch of storefronts?

Come on, people. At least be consequential and really go all out Steam-exclusive fanboi instead of this half-assed shit!
This is lazy trolling, even for your standards.

It's Sunday, dude. Ya can't troll at 100% capacity when the Lord Himself demanded this day to be a lazy day!

25. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Aug 25, 2019, 11:50 Kajetan

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 25, 2019, 08:34:
So what exactly is better about "cluttering up" your PC with a bunch of installers (assuming you don't use Galaxy since it is storefront clutter) than a bunch of storefronts?

Come on, people. At least be consequential and really go all out Steam-exclusive fanboi instead of this half-assed shit!
This is lazy trolling, even for your standards.

24. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 25, 2019, 09:57 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 20:28:
Um... ya know STEAM launched with The Black Box/The Orange Box, with EA doing the physical brick and mortar distribution that still requried Steam.

Literally no idea what you're talking about.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

23. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 25, 2019, 09:40 SabreT

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 22:12:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 20:29:
Do I get to play Cyberpunk 2077? Yes? No fucks given about what storefront it comes through.
heretic

Yeah seems some people play games just to have fun. crazy right? Also, the people complaining about having multiple storefronts for their games. Do you not use the internet or leave your houses? What strange universe do you live in where everything is in one spot? How lazy/spoilt have you ppl become?

22. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 25, 2019, 08:34 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 23:37:
As to Steam, yeah it is the big gorilla, but better to have a good source of games than cluttering up your PC with a bunch of storefronts, just my opinion of course.

As to GOG, I buy games from then all the time.

21. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 25, 2019, 01:55 Mordhaus

I buy all their games there anyway, best way to support them.  

20. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 23:37 Ozmodan

Ah, a developer with some sense. Exclusives probably work for small shops, but if your game is any good, exclusives are going to hurt you and limit your audience.

As to Steam, yeah it is the big gorilla, but better to have a good source of games than cluttering up your PC with a bunch of storefronts, just my opinion of course.

As to GOG, I buy games from then all the time.

19. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 22:12 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 20:29:
Do I get to play Cyberpunk 2077? Yes? No fucks given about what storefront it comes through.
heretic

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

18. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 21:45 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 16:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 16:33:
Look who's been going at the exclusives. Generally smaller indie devs who need that Epic Money to keep developing the exclusive game. Bandai, and CDPR already have a solid base and don't need/require the exclusivity money.
Deep Silver comes to mind.

This entire thread is about first-party exclusives dog.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 21:43 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 15:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 14:06:
Notice how neither Bandai Namco (in the following article) nor CDPR mentioned anything about the ethicality, morality or legality of exclusives, odd that. Wink

Gotta put those fires out. man.

There are no fires. The article is about first-party exclusives. Redeye once again sees drama where none exist.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 21:39 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 14:06:
Notice how neither Bandai Namco (in the following article) nor CDPR mentioned anything about the ethicality, morality or legality of exclusives, odd that. Wink

Thronebreaker initially launched as a first-party exclusive on CDPR's platform; NOT a third-party exclusive. It would be a trollish thing to suddenly discuss such a thing since the article isn't about third-party exclusives.

15. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 20:29 Burrito of Peace

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

14. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 20:28 The Half Elf

Slick wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 18:53:
"GOG.com exclusivity for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales has them thinking this type of deal doesn't work for them"

Pretty sad day when a developer can't release a product on their own established non-hated storefront because people will only buy from Steam.

Remind me why Steam is the only place people shop again? Oh right, it was all predicated on the exclusivity of Half-Life 2. Even if you bought a physical copy in a brick-and-mortar store, you had to install and launch through steam to play the game.

We can't have a world where a new burger shop could become "The home of the Whopper" like Burger King, because everyone has already decided they only buy food from McDonalds. The best they can hope to do is sell the Whopper through McDonalds, cook it, market it, wrap it, deal with customer issues, pay the farmers, pay the transport, pay for everything, then McDonalds provides that touch-screen computer for you to pay and takes a fat 30%.

Um... ya know STEAM launched with The Black Box/The Orange Box, with EA doing the physical brick and mortar distribution that still requried Steam.
And the reason people ONLY buy on Steam is because we don't want multiple platforms to launch off of on the PC. Epic Game Store, Uplay, EA Origins, Steam, GoG, Microsoft Store, and probably 1 or 2 others that I'm missing. If I have an option of buying even say a UPLAY game, I will see if it's on Steam first for several reasons.
1) It's where 90% of the rest of my games are.
2)Steam sales have ALWAYS been first and better then direct from the dev's (Uplay is horri-bad about this)
3) Better Store front, UI, Friends List, able to play multiple and see what other people playing front and center. Something that Uplay and Origins is getting better about but still has some issues.
4)Workshops, discussions and reviews.
5) VR support (for me at least).

But as it was said in Field of Dreams "If you make it they will come". Doesn't matter what platform it is, but if you make an awesome enough game regardless of exclusivity people will buy it. And the PS4 is a perfect example of this, even though I can't stand the UI, or friend system, they have destroyed the Xbox.

And at the end of the day... Valve actually fucking listens to the customers in what they do and don't want and takes action.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemtion 2/Online, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and about 200 other games I've never fin

13. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 20:10 Pepe

"GOG.com exclusivity for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales has them thinking this type of deal doesn't work for them"

Pretty sad day when a developer can't release a product on their own established non-hated storefront because people will only buy from Steam.

Remind me why Steam is the only place people shop again? Oh right, it was all predicated on the exclusivity of Half-Life 2. Even if you bought a physical copy in a brick-and-mortar store, you had to install and launch through steam to play the game.

We can't have a world where a new burger shop could become "The home of the Whopper" like Burger King, because everyone has already decided they only buy food from McDonalds. The best they can hope to do is sell the Whopper through McDonalds, cook it, market it, wrap it, deal with customer issues, pay the farmers, pay the transport, pay for everything, then McDonalds provides that touch-screen computer for you to pay and takes a fat 30%.

The witcher 3 sold more copies on gog then it did on steam (initially anyways not sure if those nr's still hold up since) so there is room for other players, problem imo with gog is that they mostly sell old discount games, which does not help their case to get brand recognition or market share.

Also the lack or DRM is probably what keeps a lot of big companies away since they stand to lose a lot more sales from piracy due to the lack of DRM.

Gog is not the most profitable of shops (they recently let go a lot of staff) now cyberpunk 2077 will most likely give them a nice financial injection, they realy need a better more diverse source of income other then CD projekt red's big games if they want to actually matter.

12. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 19:58 Sepharo

Who's the tribe member that has the chants and the colored fonts?  

11. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 19:45 RedEye9

Be Forewarned; For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. There are no ways around it. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. This is serious sticks and stones stuff, I just thought you should know, I wish you the best.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

10. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 18:53 Slick

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

9. Re: CD Projekt RED Down on Exclusives Aug 24, 2019, 16:50 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 16:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 16:33:
Look who's been going at the exclusives. Generally smaller indie devs who need that Epic Money to keep developing the exclusive game. Bandai, and CDPR already have a solid base and don't need/require the exclusivity money.
Deep Silver comes to mind.
Gearbox, too. But Half Elf is correct, those games are exceptions.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo