Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea

Tyrants of the Moonsea is now available on Steam for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition (thanks Dark). This is an enhanced edition of a premium module for the likewise enhanced edition of the Forgotten Worlds RPG for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It requires the base game, which happens to currently be on sale for 75% off, and the module is also now part of the Enhanced Edition Digital Deluxe Edition, which is also on sale. This post has details on the new offering:

We released a new premium module for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition from the developers of Darkness Over Daggerford, Ossian Studios.

Based on the original module by Luke Scull, this newly enhanced adventure vastly expands the former module by adding 70% more story and gameplay, plus new art and audio!

Tyrants of the Moonsea
The harsh frontier land known as the Moonsea is besieged by demons. A mysterious cult has arisen, bent on death and destruction. Amid the chaos, war is imminent between the powerful city-states and their tyrannical rulers.

Accompanied by the dwarf merchant Madoc, you approach the town of Voonlar just as the worst snowstorm of the year hits. You soon discover that only you can prevent the total annihilation of the Moonsea at the hands of a legendary and ancient evil...

Features
A 20+ hour high-level adventure set in the perilous Moonsea region of the Forgotten Realms! Featuring new monsters, new tilesets, 35 minutes of new music, and 1,000 lines of new character VO.

• An expansion-sized high-level adventure with 20+ hours of gameplay
  • Use the world map to explore 18 areas in the Moonsea region including Zhentil Keep, Cormanthor, Thar, and prominent city-states.
  • Recruit from 5 different companions for your party
  • 5 new monsters to do battle with
  • 14 new character portraits
  • 35 minutes of inspiring new music including exhilarating combat tracks
  • 1,000 lines of new character VO

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 16:32 El Pit

Sorry. Clicked "Quote" instead of "Edit" it seems. It has been a long and tough working week...

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2019, 17:58.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 16:30 El Pit

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 13:50:
El Pit wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 12:17:
I enjoyed both NWN 1 and 2 and loved especially the final add-on to NWN 1 - it was amazing! And for its time, it actually looked GOOD! Yes, it did. The Aurora engine looked better than e.g. Diablo 2 (released only 2 years before NWN 1) and other isometric games of this time. Just remember - games like the FPS RPG Deus Ex and isometric RPG Divine Divinity were released back in 2002 and did not look better than NWN 1 did back then.

Deus Ex was released in the year of the lord Y2K, not 2002. And Divine Divinity definitely looked a lot better with much more detail and variety all over the place. No contest.

Sorry about Deus Ex, I was accidentially remembering the playstation date. But I disagree about Divine Divinity and its (even back then) outdated 2D engine: NWN's Aurora engine was great when it rendered pretty huge levels in 3D and it did look much better than the ancient Divine Divinity pixelated graphics. Divine Divinity was a great game, though, but it really looked OLD back then while NWN looked really good.

I have added video links so that all people can judge it for themselves. I doubt there are many who would argue that Divine Divinity got worse graphics than NWN1.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2019, 17:58.

9. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 13:50 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 12:17:
I enjoyed both NWN 1 and 2 and loved especially the final add-on to NWN 1 - it was amazing! And for its time, it actually looked GOOD! Yes, it did. The Aurora engine looked better than e.g. Diablo 2 (released only 2 years before NWN 1) and other isometric games of this time. Just remember - games like the FPS RPG Deus Ex and isometric RPG Divine Divinity were released back in 2002 and did not look better than NWN 1 did back then.

Deus Ex was released in the year of the lord Y2K, not 2002. And Divine Divinity definitely looked a lot better with much more detail and variety all over the place. No contest.

8. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 12:17 El Pit

7. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 10:35 CJ_Parker

Nah. It looked like crap. The year was 2002 and games like Morrowind or even Dungeon Siege which came out a few weeks/months prior to NWN put that game to shame. Same with Divine Divinity or Gothic 2 which came out a few weeks/months after NWN though.

As I said, it just lacked any kind of atmosphere or charm and the black frames everywhere were horrible. I mean just look at shit like this. Ugh.

You can effectively see the tileset structure, the wireframe and the modularity right through everything. It looks like garbage... artificial, devoid of (attention to) detail, sterile, zero TLC with regard to the graphics, art design or art direction.
Even the UI is totally lacking any of the ornamental stuff that you'd expect from an "epic" fantasy RPG. It's blander than bland since it's just a blocky box drawn on the screen. Zero love again, zero attention to detail.

The relatively recent Underworld Ascendant really reminds me a lot of the total no-love when it comes to graphics/art/world design in the vein of NWN.

6. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 09:11 MattyC

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 04:38:
GothicWizard wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 22:26:
How about do this to NWN2? Far better game mechanics and GFX. NWN1 looked out of date on release. Still makes my eyes bleed.

Yeah, it looks like total dog shit and what's worse it has zero atmosphere due to the underlying tileset structure. It looks artificial, blocky, sterile and completely unappealing like a 12 year old fiddled around with a very old version of RPG Maker. The OC was lame as fuck, too. It's honestly one of the worst RPGs ever.

Its only saving grace might have been the toolset and some of the persistent worlds but I'm not into mods or multiplayer so that was totally lost on me.

The online stuff was more or less what made NWN such a hit, though I think you are being overly harsh on it still. The graphics, for example, were really not that bad for 2002. I was in high school when that game came out, dinosaurs still roamed earth and all that.

Early 3d was ... not gorgeous, that is true. However,
like a 12 year old fiddled around with a very old version of RPG Maker
? Everyone seems grumpy today... Be fair, it doesn't look like a child played around with a late 90s 2D sprite editor using 16-bit console art. If they had, maybe they could have pulled off something like Chrono Trigger, which still has great looking art assets even today. That is sort of the difference between late 2d sprite graphics and early 3d though.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2019, 09:25.

5. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 24, 2019, 04:38 CJ_Parker

How about do this to NWN2? Far better game mechanics and GFX. NWN1 looked out of date on release. Still makes my eyes bleed.

Yeah, it looks like total dog shit and what's worse it has zero atmosphere due to the underlying tileset structure. It looks artificial, blocky, sterile and completely unappealing like a 12 year old fiddled around with a very old version of RPG Maker. The OC was lame as fuck, too. It's honestly one of the worst RPGs ever.

Its only saving grace might have been the toolset and some of the persistent worlds but I'm not into mods or multiplayer so that was totally lost on me.

4. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 23, 2019, 23:08 Acleacius

Darks wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 22:39:

Why? becasue it still the most popular of the two. Beamdog has gone to a lot of trouble to update the game and make it more compatible and added more UI and graphical options to the game.

Plus they are currently working on of a upgrade to the rendering system. Should be really nice once its in place.
It's gtk they plan to stick with it, thanks. I do agree, hope they get around to NWN2 character like Khelgar, Grobnar and Neeshka are hilarious.

The brilliant writing at Obsidian seemed to die, since MotB it's all been a nearly complete loss of humor in their games. Raincloud

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 23, 2019, 22:39 Darks

Why? becasue it still the most popular of the two. Beamdog has gone to a lot of trouble to update the game and make it more compatible and added more UI and graphical options to the game.

Plus they are currently working on of a upgrade to the rendering system. Should be really nice once its in place.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

2. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 23, 2019, 22:26 GothicWizard

1. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Tyrants of the Moonsea Aug 23, 2019, 20:30 Acleacius

I've been holding off but $5 usd is pretty damn cheap for the EE version. Too bad it sounds like the EE base game is extremely buggy, no idea if the devs will fix it.
I guess if they are still releasing new modules, there's hope.

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo