Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

We had a real logjam in trying to deal with all the boxes from our recent move. I finally was able to make a breakthrough on this yesterday by defying my bout with sciatica and doing a little creative reshuffling of some of the boxes. This created a proper beachhead to operate from, and we made more progress in getting stuff cleared up in one afternoon than we did in the preceding week. I'm disappointed that we are still so far from done with unpacking, but at least the path to the promised land is visible. Morale is high, and victory is in sight. Excelsior!

R.I.P.: David Koch, billionaire conservative activist and philanthropist, dies at 79.

Reshuffled Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: This Mom Had A "Job Fair" To Teach Her Kids About Chores And Allowance.
Stories: More than $1 million in cocaine found in banana boxes at three Washington grocery stores.
Science: This Daily Pill Cut Heart Attacks by Half. Why Isnít Everyone Getting It?
A Rail Gun the Size of Manhattan Could Finally Reveal the Universe's Missing Particles.
Media: Dudley The Taste Test Dog Settles The Chicken Sandwich Feud.
Drone Captures Rockslide in Switzerland.
They're Made Out of Meat.
Auctions: Double Oh No: ĎBondí Rolex Fails to Find a Buyer.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2019, 11:43 Nullity

Drath71 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 14:53:
Nullity wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 10:50:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 10:15:
1badmf wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 04:39:
i like to think of it this way - trump lost by 3 million votes at the height of his popularity. now that everyone except his fanatical base hates his guts he can't possibly get lucky enough to win juuuuust enough votes in key swing states to skate by again. can he?!?!?
And I think of it this way: Nearly everyone said he wouldn't win the primary. He did. Nearly everyone said he wouldn't win the election. He did. The American electorate isn't exactly known for its vast participation or for paying close attention to the candidates. And I'll guarantee you 45% of the people who vote in the 2020 presidential election will vote for Trump, at a minimum. While I might agree it seems unlikely he can be re-elected, I thought it was unlikely he would ever be elected. So that kind of "logic" does not comfort me in the least.
While you're not wrong, that's also only part of it. The Republicans have spent decades painstakingly rigging the system in their favor. They literally cheat, and it's the only way they can win. Unfortunately, that same system makes it very difficult to fix itself.

Right, because the Democrats don't don't do the same darn thing.
Trump didn't win because the system was rigged, he want because most people preferred him over Shrillary. But if you're one of those people that call UNFAIR every time someone else wins instead, well no amount of logic will shine through here.
A balanced system means our guy wins sometimes, sometimes the other guys win. Obama had two pretty good terms, but now a republican wins and OMG UNACCEPTABLE.
Stop with the false equivalency bullshit. What reality are you hiding in?

Gerrymandering, voter suppression, voting IDs (for a non-existent "fraud" issue), gutting of the Voting Rights Act, purging voter registrations, closing polling places, restricting early voting, opposing legislation that makes voting for all Americans easier and more secure.

Oh and there's Moscow Mitch openly admitting that he opposes these things because higher voter turnout helps Democrats.

Then what about *ACTUAL* election fraud in the 2018 North Carolina House race? Or that whole fucked-up gubernatorial mess in Georgia that I'm not even going to go into because it infuriates me just thinking about it?

I can go on all day.

I don't believe Democrats are perfect, but they don't do these things, only Republicans (maybe with the exception of gerrymandering, but to a much lesser degree - though to be clear, no one should do it). And they've become blatant and brazen about it, they don't even try to hide it any more. These aren't conspiracy theories, they are in-your-face observable facts.

And most people *DID NOT* prefer Trump over Hillary, who won the popular vote. Trump won because of a broken electoral college system, combined with a broken "winner-takes-all" voting system, then sprinkle in all the other bullshit I mentioned above, and abracadabra - we've got an angry creamsicle toddler for a president.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2019, 08:41 KS

bigspender wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 03:45:
This Daily Pill Cut Heart Attacks by Half. Why Isnít Everyone Getting It

Because cholesterol based heart disease is now well established as a food borne illness. Don't give yourself heart disease and you won't need a statin, and all of its dangerous side effects....

Don't eat saturated fat or cholesterol (basically animal products (esp dairy) & coconut oil & palm oil) and you will never ever get eschemic heart disease, and you will never need this pill.

It's done wonders for Kevin Smith and Penn Jillette in recent times. Enjoy your bean burritos and vegetable curries from any region of the world.

As a medical treatment, "You should lose weight" has a 98% failure rate.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2019, 08:40 KS

NKD wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 23:32:
1badmf wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 20:13:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 18:04:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 17:59:
Why 16 months.
Actually, counting it out I was off by one, it is 17 months -- Jan. 20, 2021. I don't think even Moscow Mitch can hold out for four years.

frankly, i double dog dare him to obstruct a supreme court confirmation for FOUR YEARS. the balls on that dude.

There needs to be something done about that, at some point. The Senate shouldn't be able to put off a vote indefinitely. We need some court precedent that says that the Senate failing to hold a vote within a reasonable time period is essentially approval of the nomination.

But that's not going to happen because both parties want to keep that option open, should they need it. Dumb cunts.

The courts couldn't do that anyway because they can't order congress to vote on something (the constitution explicitely goves congress the power to make its own rules) and it couldn't approve a nominee because of no vote because the constitution doesn't give the judicial branch that power. The president nominates and congress advises and consents.

It would have to be an amendment, and you are right, no one will approve it because congress wants more power, not less, even as they rarely use it.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 15:07 RedEye9

Drath71 wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 14:53:
i like to think of it this way - trump lost by 3 million votes at the height of his popularity. now that everyone except his fanatical base hates his guts he can't possibly get lucky enough to win juuuuust enough votes in key swing states to skate by again. can he?!?!?
And I think of it this way: Nearly everyone said he wouldn't win the primary. He did. Nearly everyone said he wouldn't win the election. He did. The American electorate isn't exactly known for its vast participation or for paying close attention to the candidates. And I'll guarantee you 45% of the people who vote in the 2020 presidential election will vote for Trump, at a minimum. While I might agree it seems unlikely he can be re-elected, I thought it was unlikely he would ever be elected. So that kind of "logic" does not comfort me in the least.
While you're not wrong, that's also only part of it. The Republicans have spent decades painstakingly rigging the system in their favor. They literally cheat, and it's the only way they can win. Unfortunately, that same system makes it very difficult to fix itself.

Trump didn't win because the system was rigged, he want because most people preferred him over Shrillary. But if you're one of those people that call UNFAIR every time someone else wins instead, well no amount of logic will shine through here.
A balanced system means our guy wins sometimes, sometimes the other guys win. Obama had two pretty good terms, but now a republican wins and OMG UNACCEPTABLE.
Wakey Wakey - Clearly you have not been paying attention. Drumpf is not and has never been a Republican. It's a tRumplican, always has been and always will be.
How many billions of dollars do you think JaVanka have been raking in off the stock market with advance notice of the dotards tweets.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 14:53 Drath71

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 11:07 Mr. Tact

You are exactly right. Even if Trump does lose in 2020 the GOP will still hold power in most of the states and will probably still have the Senate. Not to mention all the influence which will continue to happen over the following decades from the judicial appointments Trump has made, not just in the SCOTUS but throughout the federal judiciary.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 11:02 Mr. Tact

Bard wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 10:58:
The only thing that gives me hope is that the rate of death of these guys exceeds the raising of new idiots.
How you could have that hope given the state of "Reality TV" and social media in general is beyond me.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 10:58 Bard

Nullity wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 13:44:
Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 12:50:
One down, one to go.
Damn, that's exactly what I came here to say.

mch wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 11:38:
I wonder who inherits his senators?

Just kidding, I'm sure his brother does.
I lol'd.

The only thing that gives me hope is that the rate of death of these guys exceeds the raising of new idiots.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 10:50 Nullity

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 10:15 Mr. Tact

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 08:59 Drath71

jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 04:05:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 21:12:
frankly, i double dog dare him to obstruct a supreme court confirmation for FOUR YEARS. the balls on that dude.
"frankly" -- that might be enough reason for him to try. Of course, the entire idea assumes something not yet in evidence... that the Ds can beat Trump in 2020. I'm not saying they can't, just they haven't convinced me yet that they will... (hmm, three negatives in that sentence, seems like there should be a better way to say it... aww frack it..)

The economy is on the verge of recession, and Trump's tweets are pushing it that direction. If the economy is shit, it will be a D landslide. If not, he's still a good 5 points behind on the generic ballot.

Granted, Trump's done a massive amount of damage to himself, with his mouth and tweets. But right now the D's have nothing to offer but "vote for us and everyone else will pay for whatever you want, and everyone but us is a racist". Don't be surprised if this election turns out like the last.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 04:39 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 04:05:
"frankly" -- that might be enough reason for him to try. Of course, the entire idea assumes something not yet in evidence... that the Ds can beat Trump in 2020. I'm not saying they can't, just they haven't convinced me yet that they will... (hmm, three negatives in that sentence, seems like there should be a better way to say it... aww frack it..)

The economy is on the verge of recession, and Trump's tweets are pushing it that direction. If the economy is shit, it will be a D landslide. If not, he's still a good 5 points behind on the generic ballot.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 04:07 jdreyer

Anyone have any experience with these chairs?

Secret Labs.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 04:05 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 03:45 bigspender

This Daily Pill Cut Heart Attacks by Half. Why Isnít Everyone Getting It

Because cholesterol based heart disease is now well established as a food borne illness. Don't give yourself heart disease and you won't need a statin, and all of its dangerous side effects....

Don't eat saturated fat or cholesterol (basically animal products (esp dairy) & coconut oil & palm oil) and you will never ever get eschemic heart disease, and you will never need this pill.

It's done wonders for Kevin Smith and Penn Jillette in recent times. Enjoy your bean burritos and vegetable curries from any region of the world.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 01:58 1badmf

Good Eats: The Return  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 00:16 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 23:32:
There needs to be something done about that, at some point. The Senate shouldn't be able to put off a vote indefinitely. We need some court precedent that says that the Senate failing to hold a vote within a reasonable time period is essentially approval of the nomination.
It would be nice if they could manage to do something like that, but I suspect it would require a constitutional amendment, which means it won't happen. I mean even if by some miracle, both parties decided they wanted to make an amendment like that, it would still be tough. Making changes to the constitution isn't easy, nor should it be. I'm sure history will judge McConnell harshly for what he did, which isn't much comfort. Because unfortunately we will be paying the price for his sins for decades to come.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2019, 23:32 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 18:04:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 17:59:
Why 16 months.
Actually, counting it out I was off by one, it is 17 months -- Jan. 20, 2021. I don't think even Moscow Mitch can hold out for four years.

But that's not going to happen because both parties want to keep that option open, should they need it. Dumb cunts.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2019, 21:49 Mr. Tact

Thinking/hoping/wishing anyone in the GOP will act against him has been proved to be a non-starter. He will not be impeached and removed from office, he will not be removed by the 25th amendment. The only way this nightmare ends is the 22nd amendment is enforced or the Ds getting their act together in 2020.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2019, 21:25 RedEye9

The term of the hour is "I hereby order".
As in; "I hereby order the White House staff to take @realDonaldTrump to Walter Reed, and to convene the cabinet under Section 4 of the Twenty-fifth Amendment,". Use it instead of daring.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo