Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

This bout of sciatica is proving to be more of a pain-in-the-ass than expected, as it has started to bother me more again after I thought it was going away. Though I'm a lifelong side-sleeper, I've even tried sleeping on my back after reading that might help, but MrsBlue keeps nudging me awake, as this apparently causes me to snore. I've read that this condition will usually go away on its own, which is my favorite form of medicine. But I've also read that seeing a doctor may be in order if this persists for more than a week, which it has already. I'll give it a little more time before I get that drastic, but it's a sign of how painful this is that I'm entertaining the thought.

Nervy Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: 10 Genius Ways Video Games Fixed Their Own Mistakes.
Stories: Pack of service dog trainees attends musical Billy Elliott at Stratford, were very good boys. Thanks Max.
Whole Foods CEO John Mackey: Plant-based meat not good for your health. Thanks RedEye9.
Aaron Rodgers arrives in Winnipeg wearing a Canadian tuxedo. Thanks Cutter.
Science: Researchers are creepily close to predicting when you’re going to die.
Record-breaking 20 qubits entangle to make “Schrödinger’s cat” in the lab. Thanks Neutronbeam.
India’s Skeleton Lake Has Bones Separated by Centuries. Thanks RedEye9 and Max.
Media: Watch and listen to THX's new Deep Note trailer with spatial 3D audio. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Rogue Waves Queens Bath. NSFW.
Transforming stadium from concert to football field in 67H.
Follow-up: Titanic sub dive reveals parts are being lost to sea. Apparently entropy is not waterproof. Thanks Max.
The Funnies: xkcd: Review.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2019, 09:37 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 00:08:
do you also sit in the dark listening to the cure and/or Morrisey? too dark bro!
I do tend towards being a pessimist, but generally in my positions concerning any particular issue not so much in matters around my personal life. Although I have no interest in continuing to breath for the sole purpose of remaining alive. You won't see me in a senior citizen retirement home...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2019, 04:33 jdreyer

Rogue Waves Queens Bath.

Yup, that big swell hits about once an hour. There are surfers that wait a quarter mile offshore just for that set so they can ride it in. If he'd looked at the waves before jumping into the pool, he'd have seen it coming. Glad he was okay.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2019, 03:06 jdreyer

Whole Foods CEO John Mackey: Plant-based meat not good for your health.

There are other reasons to eat veggie burgers besides health. Also, if a veggie burger has 20 grams of fat, yeah, not much healthier than meat.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2019, 02:10 jdreyer

xkcd: Review.

He didn't mention that the AI sucks and the NPCs are brain-dead.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2019, 00:08 1badmf

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 23:41:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 22:56:
I assume you'd prefer to die healthy in your sleep, not in excruciating pain over months or years as cancer dissolves your liver. A yearly checkup can help with that.
Really? What fascinating information, I had no idea!

Frankly, even "healthy" I don't think I'd care to live much past 75 or so. Yes, there are many people older than 75 who have happy, active, productive lives. I won't be one of them. As for the suffering problem, sufficient opioids or a firearm can resolve that issue.

do you also sit in the dark listening to the cure and/or Morrisey? too dark bro!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 23:41 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 22:56:
I assume you'd prefer to die healthy in your sleep, not in excruciating pain over months or years as cancer dissolves your liver. A yearly checkup can help with that.
Really? What fascinating information, I had no idea!

Frankly, even "healthy" I don't think I'd care to live much past 75 or so. Yes, there are many people older than 75 who have happy, active, productive lives. I won't be one of them. As for the suffering problem, sufficient opioids or a firearm can resolve that issue.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 22:56 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 15:08:
I realize my position is rare and possibly boardline crazy, but *meh* it is what it is. I was extremely lucky being born male, white, and in the US. My life compared to those unlucky enough to have been born in "third world" countries is nearly a paradise. I appreciate it and I should probably wish to live as long as possible enjoying it. But for whatever reasons my psyche isn't built that way.

I've had a good life -- could have been better, could have been worse. If I live another 20 years (certainly possible) or I die tomorrow, not much will change. I just don't particularly care for one over the other...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 19:54 fraggerron

https://teeter.com try this for re accuring sciaticca its helped me for years  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 17:56 Mr. Tact

Actually, I am planning to see a doctor soon, and hence will end my current nine year drought. While I might take the opportunity to ask if I should get a Measles booster or a Shingles shot, the reason for my visit will be to get a referral to an Orthopedic surgeon. I am reasonably certain I am suffering from Dupuytren's contracture in my left hand. The range of motion in my pinky has already been reduced (laying my hand flat on a table I can lift my pinky on my right hand, I can't on my left) so I suspect I'm well into the range requiring treatment...  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 17:38 RedEye9

I want to die just like my uncle died, in his sleep.
Not like the screaming passengers in the car he was driving.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 17:35 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 16:36:
And to any who might be trying to "read between the lines", I am not suicidal. I'm not anxious to die, just indifferent to when I will.

Of course not. That's obvious to anyone 50+. I think we're all, 'Enh, I've had a good run.' However I go I just want to it to be unexpected and quick.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 16:36 Mr. Tact

Appreciate you saying so, Beamer. I hope this site is around for another 20 years so I can.

And to any who might be trying to "read between the lines", I am not suicidal. I'm not anxious to die, just indifferent to when I will.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 15:29 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 15:08:
I've had a good life -- could have been better, could have been worse. If I live another 20 years (certainly possible) or I die tomorrow, not much will change. I just don't particularly care for one over the other...

I think we'd prefer you keep posting here at least another 20 years.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 15:08 Mr. Tact

I realize my position is rare and possibly boardline crazy, but *meh* it is what it is. I was extremely lucky being born male, white, and in the US. My life compared to those unlucky enough to have been born in "third world" countries is nearly a paradise. I appreciate it and I should probably wish to live as long as possible enjoying it. But for whatever reasons my psyche isn't built that way.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 14:55 Verno

If it was me, I would at least want to know so I could fit a bit more into that 6 months but whatever man  

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 14:46 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 14:09:
Are you over 50? Get a colonoscopy. Also, 50 is when shit starts to go bad, so you should be getting a yearly physical with blood work. Much cheaper to nip stuff in the bud than to wait and have the doctor tell you "you've got six months to live." Would you be able to clear your Steam backlog in six months? I didn't think so.
I am, I know I should, I probably won't. Learning I had six months to live wouldn't bother me much. I don't particularly want to die, but I'm not concerned about it. It will happen someday, if that day is soon I'm fine with it.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 14:16 RedEye9

Mexico has made cocaine legal. For two people
I wonder who the lucky couple was

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 14:09 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 12:08:
Blue wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 10:08:
This bout of sciatica is proving to be more of a pain-in-the-ass than expected, as it has started to bother me more again after I thought it was going away. Though I'm a lifelong side-sleeper, I've even tried sleeping on my back after reading that might help, but MrsBlue keeps nudging me awake, as this apparently causes me to snore. I've read that this condition will usually go away on it's own, which is my favorite form of medicine. But I've also read that seeing a doctor may be in order if this persists for more than a week, which it has already. I'll give it a little more time before I get that drastic, but it's a sign of how painful this is that I'm entertaining the though.
You were actually able to go to sleep on your back after being a "lifelong side-sleeper"? Huh. I have long been a side-sleeper for no reason I would be able to articulate. I'm also someone who 98 times out of 100 falls asleep within five minutes of getting into bed. However, recently for no particular reason I tried falling asleep on my back and couldn't. Which I thought was weird, so I tried several times over the next few nights, and I was not able to do it.

As for "this condition will usually go away on it's own", yeah -- that's my favorite form of medicine also. When I went to a doctor about nine years ago it was the first time in 25 years. I haven't been back yet... which is not necessarily a recommendation to anyone else, just a statement of my personal history.

Are you over 50? Get a colonoscopy. Also, 50 is when shit starts to go bad, so you should be getting a yearly physical with blood work. Much cheaper to nip stuff in the bud than to wait and have the doctor tell you "you've got six months to live." Would you be able to clear your Steam backlog in six months? I didn't think so.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 12:59 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 12:44:
In our next house, Mrs. B has finally relented to letting me use the THX sound as our doorbell! I'm so geeked out about it.
My ringtone vacillates from What Do You Say?, Yeah!, Redbone and Rick Astleys rickroll song.
Also, as a tall guy, the mesh chairs suck. They're uncomfortable as Hell to me. I really dig my La-Z-Boy Trafford chair. Ultra comfortable and has worn like iron. No back issues whatsoever after having gotten it some years back.
Looks similar to my Serta Hensley, haven't owned it long enough to review it's longevity.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2019, 12:44 Burrito of Peace

In our next house, Mrs. B has finally relented to letting me use the THX sound as our doorbell! I'm so geeked out about it.

Also, as a tall guy, the mesh chairs suck. They're uncomfortable as Hell to me. I really dig my La-Z-Boy Trafford chair. Ultra comfortable and has worn like iron. No back issues whatsoever after having gotten it some years back.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo