Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive

Oddworld: Soulstorm is the latest title to announce an exclusivity deal with the Epic Games Store, as the game was part of the Epic Games Store gamescom 2019 Announcements Trailer. An article titled "Now Game Developers Have To Ask Fans Not To Harass Them Over The Epic Store" on Kotaku mentions this in discussing the backlash companies have to deal with in announcing such deals. The new Oddworld is the example they start with, noting that an Oddworld tweet penned by Lorne Lanning attempts to head this off at the pass. Here's a transcript of the hard-to-index picture of words:

I would like to address the entire Oddworld community (old and new). You have supported us and our artistic vision for years and we thank you.
Oddworld: Soulstorm will be coming to PC via the Epic Games store. The PC and console versions of the game will have a simultaneous release in 2020.
What I would like to do is provide you with the reasoning that went into bringing the PC version of Soulstorm to the Epic Games store as an exclusive because you deserve to know.
We've been financing Soulstorm 100% ourselves. Soulstorm is our most ambitious game ever and we are committed to creating a great game that meets the highest level of quality. But to create the version of Soulstorm we want, and you deserve, we needed additional financial assistance.
Ambition is important, and it pushes me to try and overachieve. What pushes me even more is my commitment to you: you deserve great games. As an indie publisher we must evaluate partnerships that will help up achieve our goals while protecting our vision for Soulstorm and the quintology. Epic supports our goal and commitment and is willing to help us achieve them by providing us with an advance on our PC sales, and we are incredibly grateful.
Thank you for reading.

View
121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

121. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 25, 2019, 03:07 MeanJim

jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 03:37:
Okay, let's go through this.

Lego makes some cool Star Wars sets.
Gearbox makes Borderlands 3.

Walmart offers money to Lego to make some sets exclusive to their store.
Epic approaches 2K to make BL3 exclusive to their store on PC.

Lego accepts.
2K accepts.

Walmart sets are exclusive to their store in perpetuity.
Epic gets to sell BL3 exclusively for 1 year.

No one gives a shit about Walmart exclusives.
THE PC GAMING WORLD BLOWS UP AT EPIC EXCLUSIVES.

Seriously, anyone upset at Epic should also be pissed at Walmart. But no one cares about Walmart.

The one thing I'm sensitive to is when a dev has promised a game available on Steam, and pulls it. The Darq dev has a good point there. However, that has nothing to do with Epic. It's the dev's and/or publisher's decision. Be pissed at the devs and/or publishers for making these decisions.

1. I don't play with LEGOs anymore, so I don't even know about this.
B. I try to avoid shopping to Walmart, like I do Epic.
3. If I did play with LEGOs and I did buy their exclusive set, at least I wouldn't have to go to Walmart to play it.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

120. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 24, 2019, 09:18 Verno

Seriously, anyone upset at Epic should also be pissed at Walmart. But no one cares about Walmart.

Or maybe people here don't collect LEGO anymore. Of course people don't care about something that don't impact them or that they're totally unaware of. A valid comparison would be more something like "EA does it and you don't care" but that would still be incorrect as the shitstorm of posts surrounding EA pulling their titles from Steam way back when will attest to. And many people still refuse to use Origin or buy EA games. I don't personally care that much but hey whatever floats their boat.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

119. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 24, 2019, 05:51 Quinn

I don't think there's no Walmart hysteria because nobody cares about Walmart, but because nobody really cares about Lego. Or both. Anyway, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand why although the comparisons are valid, the reactions are different.

That said, I simply don't get the hatred for EGS. I keep thinking like I am missing something why I should also hate them too,but not one argument from the haters has convinced me. Not one. So wtf am I missing?

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

118. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 24, 2019, 04:19 Kxmode

There are exclusive Legos at Walmart? Why wasn't I told?!  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

117. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 24, 2019, 03:37 jdreyer

Okay, let's go through this.

Lego makes some cool Star Wars sets.
Gearbox makes Borderlands 3.

Walmart offers money to Lego to make some sets exclusive to their store.
Epic approaches 2K to make BL3 exclusive to their store on PC.

Lego accepts.
2K accepts.

Walmart sets are exclusive to their store in perpetuity.
Epic gets to sell BL3 exclusively for 1 year.

No one gives a shit about Walmart exclusives.
THE PC GAMING WORLD BLOWS UP AT EPIC EXCLUSIVES.

The one thing I'm sensitive to is when a dev has promised a game available on Steam, and pulls it. The Darq dev has a good point there. However, that has nothing to do with Epic. It's the dev's and/or publisher's decision. Be pissed at the devs and/or publishers for making these decisions.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

116. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 24, 2019, 00:11 RedEye9

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/202997/fez-free-on-epic-games-store  

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

115. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 23, 2019, 23:45 Kxmode

Everything you need to know about Epic Game Store's shenanigans are found in these two videos.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

114. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 23, 2019, 18:36 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 10:32:
MeanJim wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 18:50:
Beamer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 16:54:
The reality is, Friends is a paid-for exclusive. And it's far from the only one. You want to claim it was a 1st party? How about Community? Community aired on NBC, but it was produced by Sony. In later seasons, NBC had it for free, paying literally 0 dollars towards it. But, as a contingency, Sony could only air it there. It wasn't NBC first party, but NBC aired it exclusively. And now, it's on Hulu exclusively, as I cannot stream it under any other subscription.

Why are you bringing up where you can stream a stupid TV show into this topic? Those two things are not even in the same ball park. If you want to buy Friends on DVD/Bluray, you can buy it at Walmart, Amazon, BestBuy, etc. No one has exclusive rights to sell you Friends on disk.

If you want to buy it, but that's a different format. Much like if you want to buy Metro, you can. For PS4 and for Xbox. Different format. If you want to stream it, which is my preferred format for many reasons, it's exclusive.

Comparing streaming to buying games isn't even close. Not even apples to oranges close. It's more like comparing apples to rocks. If you want to buy Friends on Bluray format, you can go to any store that sells Bluray movies and buy it. If you want it on DVD instead, go to the same stores and buy it in that format. You can shop around and find the store with the best price and buy it there. I only game on PC. I don't even own a console. If I want to buy Metro on PC, I can only get it from EGS. How is this supposed to increase competition?

MeanJim on Steam

113. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 23, 2019, 10:34 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 10:21:

Kxmode wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 15:45:

Beamer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 15:32:

Kxmode wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 21:09:

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 20:45:
Friends is a third party exclusive on Netflix.
Oddworld is a third party exclusive on EGS.

Friends had a first-party run on NBC (the network that produced the series) for the entirety of its show. In gaming equivalence, it was released on the NBC platform first, then eventually appeared on a third-party platform. (e.g. EA releases their game on Origin, then 15-years later releases the game exclusive on Steam or EGS)

Oh, so you're ok if, instead of putting new games as exclusives, EGS pays devs to pull old games off of Steam. Gotcha.

You're really, really reaching here...

Reaction

It's not a strawman. You tried to say that the difference is that Friends is on a different platform for the first time.

The reality is, Friends is a paid-for exclusive. And it's far from the only one. You want to claim it was a 1st party? How about Community? Community aired on NBC, but it was produced by Sony. In later seasons, NBC had it for free, paying literally 0 dollars towards it. But, as a contingency, Sony could only air it there. It wasn't NBC first party, but NBC aired it exclusively. And now, it's on Hulu exclusively, as I cannot stream it under any other subscription.

Meanwhile, nearly every EGS game is also available on consoles. I can buy Community, just not subscribe. You can buy Metro at Walmart, just not for PC.

I wrote "Friends had a first-party run on NBC (the network that produced the series) for the entirety of its show."

You wrote "You tried to say that the difference is that Friends is on a different platform for the first time" and then you proceed to go into more detail based on your statement.

That's a literal strawman response. As the comic states: you misrepresented my argument to make it easier to refute.

I've never met someone so convinced he needs to be angry at everything

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

112. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 23, 2019, 10:32 Beamer

MeanJim wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 18:50:

Why are you bringing up where you can stream a stupid TV show into this topic? Those two things are not even in the same ball park. If you want to buy Friends on DVD/Bluray, you can buy it at Walmart, Amazon, BestBuy, etc. No one has exclusive rights to sell you Friends on disk.

If you want to buy it, but that's a different format. Much like if you want to buy Metro, you can. For PS4 and for Xbox. Different format. If you want to stream it, which is my preferred format for many reasons, it's exclusive.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

111. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 23, 2019, 10:21 Kxmode

Kxmode wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 15:45:

Beamer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 15:32:

Kxmode wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 21:09:

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 20:45:
Friends is a third party exclusive on Netflix.
Oddworld is a third party exclusive on EGS.

Friends had a first-party run on NBC (the network that produced the series) for the entirety of its show. In gaming equivalence, it was released on the NBC platform first, then eventually appeared on a third-party platform. (e.g. EA releases their game on Origin, then 15-years later releases the game exclusive on Steam or EGS)

Oh, so you're ok if, instead of putting new games as exclusives, EGS pays devs to pull old games off of Steam. Gotcha.

You're really, really reaching here...

Reaction

It's not a strawman. You tried to say that the difference is that Friends is on a different platform for the first time.

Meanwhile, nearly every EGS game is also available on consoles. I can buy Community, just not subscribe. You can buy Metro at Walmart, just not for PC.

I wrote "Friends had a first-party run on NBC (the network that produced the series) for the entirety of its show."

You wrote "You tried to say that the difference is that Friends is on a different platform for the first time" and then you proceed to go into more detail based on your statement.

That's a literal strawman response. As the comic states: you misrepresented my argument to make it easier to refute.

110. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 23, 2019, 07:12 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 23:01:
The trailers run like shit for me, pausing and stuttering. I used to think it was my slow connection, but since upgrading to 100mbps, they still suck.

This used to be the case for me but they seemed to have resolved it about a year ago. I don't like how the actual player and controls are structured in Steam though.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

109. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 23, 2019, 01:57 Quinn

jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 23:01:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 18:42:
Quinn wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 18:37:
As long as using a launcher doesn't cost me anything (i.e. a monthly subscription) in order to play my games, I still cannot see the issue with EGS' exclusives. It's a temporary tactic to dethrone Steam for sure, and hopefully Gabe gets his fat ass off his throne and improve Steam now. Hell, watching a game trailer on Steam is still a fucking mess like years ago. At least EGS has the brains to just use vids directly from Youtube.

What's wrong with the trailers on Steam?
The trailers run like shit for me, pausing and stuttering. I used to think it was my slow connection, but since upgrading to 100mbps, they still suck.

Same here, with 250mbps. So it's that, and 2.) sometime fullscreen just doesn't work or pops up behind the launcher or whatever and 3.) the quality either sucks or takes an age to render properly (although that has to do with point 1 I guess).

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

108. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 23:01 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 18:42:
As long as using a launcher doesn't cost me anything (i.e. a monthly subscription) in order to play my games, I still cannot see the issue with EGS' exclusives. It's a temporary tactic to dethrone Steam for sure, and hopefully Gabe gets his fat ass off his throne and improve Steam now. Hell, watching a game trailer on Steam is still a fucking mess like years ago. At least EGS has the brains to just use vids directly from Youtube.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

107. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 19:38 Acleacius

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 20:24:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 20:13:
Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 17:46:
Not illegal but criminal? Those mean the same thing.
Also, where can I stream Friends again?
Isn't illegal defined because of written law. Isn't it Criminal Behavior according to any other industry, in first world countries. I.e. is there an industry where bribery and bullying is allowed, currently?

Another words if some law like "The RICO Act" was written for specific industries to prevent "price fixing" or some other anticonsumer practices but had never been applied to video game industry. There wouldn't be current language to specify it, until it was taking up by the Justice Dept, correct?

Was the Friends comment directed at me or was Streaming your example of an industry where bribery is allowed?
No bribery occurred. It was a business transaction. Perfectly legal, moral, ethical and fabulous.

The Friends comment also went over my head.
Well paying a developer/publisher to pull a game off a platform where it was contracted/advertised to be sold, and where consumers bought and planned to buy is a form of bribery.
Not to mention all the kickstarters which promised a Steam version, suddenly pulling a switch after being paid off.

Also, in one of your posts, did you mention Beamer had a special thread explaining all this?

@Beamer I didn't know about the ability to buy console versions, since I've never shopped them. I just envisioned this as an issue where the behavior (criminal imo) is being obfuscated and needed special investigations similar to Loot Boxes when they appeared.

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

106. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 18:53 RedEye9

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 18:43:
I accept exclusives in every single aspect of my life except for PC gaming. Rawwwwwww
What about if they are only exclusive for 1 (one) year?
Would you eat green eggs and ham Sam Riahderymnmaddog.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

105. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 18:50 MeanJim

MeanJim on Steam

104. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 18:43 Riahderymnmaddog

I accept exclusives in every single aspect of my life except for PC gaming. Rawwwwwww  

103. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 18:42 Sepharo

102. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 18:37 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo