Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced

Star Theory and Private Division announce Kerbal Space Program 2, a new installment in the space program simulator that will take us to an even finaler frontier than the original in 2020. The Kerbal Space Program 2 Website has details on the new game along with a Cinematic Announce Trailer to fire up your engines. There is also an interview on PC Gamer with Star Theory creative director Nate Simpson about the responsibility of taking over development of such a popular franchise and what to expect from the new installment. Here's the announcement:
Private Division and Star Theory Games today announced that Kerbal Space Program 2, the sequel to the beloved original space sim, will launch in Spring 2020 for PC on Steam and other storefronts and coming shortly after to PlayStation®4, PlayStation®4 Pro and across the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X.

Kerbal Space Program 2 offers a multitude of ways for players to further their space adventures with a robust offering of new planets to explore, new technologies to traverse the stars, and the ability to establish colonies, all rooted in real-world science. Players will be able to build without the constraints of planetary gravitation for the first time, which allows for larger constructions and more complex creations than ever before – including interstellar vessels. In addition, players will be able to share these experiences collectively in multiplayer for the first time in franchise history.

Kerbal Space Program 2 will also introduce a host of new of improvements including updated planets and parts, additional modding support, and an improved tutorial experience to help get new players off the ground. On one hand, these changes will offer newcomers help up the curve for what is learning literal rocket science, while on the other, keeping the challenge bar high for veteran players.

“KSP has always been about pushing the boundaries of innovation and creativity, and with Kerbal Space Program 2 we take that premise even further,” said Nate Simpson, Creative Director at Star Theory. “We are introducing several new ways for players to challenge themselves, including new physics puzzles to solve, new planetary destinations to conquer, and new ways to advance their own deep-space program. This continues to be a game about exploration, imagination, and understanding rocket physics – with plenty of wild crashes along the way.”

“With Star Theory, we are able to build a new gameplay foundation that is exponentially larger and allows us to explore well beyond the solar system of the original game. This is an exciting time as we are expanding the Kerbal franchise while staying true to the spirit of KSP and what makes the franchise so special,” said Michael Cook, Executive Producer at Private Division. “Kerbal Space Program 2 sparks a passion for a whole new generation of space explorers, future astronauts, and astronomers – which is the reason why we love what we are making here.”

Kerbal Space Program 2 will launch for $59.99 on PC via Steam and other digital storefronts in Spring 2020 during Take-Two's 2020 fiscal year (ending March 31, 2020) and later for PlayStation®4, PlayStation®4 Pro and across the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X. Kerbal Space Program 2 is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information on Kerbal Space Program 2, subscribe on YouTube, follow us on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook, and visit www.KerbalSpaceProgram.com.

View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced
Aug 20, 2019, 15:34
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 20, 2019, 15:34
Aug 20, 2019, 15:34

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 15:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 08:35:
After 300 hours in it, getting stuff into orbit is not that hard

After that long, no it is not. However, the first time you get something in to a stable orbit is exhilarating. Getting things down is dirt simple. Lithobraking FTW!
how i roll
"Lithobraking is also used as a humorous euphemism for the result of a spacecraft crashing into the surface of a body with no measures to ensure its survival, either by accident or with intent."
so any landing you can't walk away from
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Aug 20, 2019, 15:24
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 20, 2019, 15:24
Aug 20, 2019, 15:24

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 08:35:
After 300 hours in it, getting stuff into orbit is not that hard

After that long, no it is not. However, the first time you get something in to a stable orbit is exhilarating. Getting things down is dirt simple. Lithobraking FTW!
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Aug 20, 2019, 13:07
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 20, 2019, 13:07
Aug 20, 2019, 13:07

Some of the best money I ever spent on an early access game...or any game...

Would be an auto-buy if was being developed by Squad. Instead, I will start off with the assumption that this will be awful and work up from there if warranted.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Aug 20, 2019, 08:35
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 20, 2019, 08:35
Aug 20, 2019, 08:35

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 07:46:
I love KSP, warts and all.

It brought me rage, frustration, and unmitigated joy. There were often times, too, were I would just burst out in to hysterical laughter after something went unexpectedly and catastrophically wrong.

It also taught me an even greater respect for NASA. Getting things in to orbit is hard. Everything beyond that is a steep incline up the difficulty scale. However, accomplishing those things is amazing. I have put a Kerbal on every planet, have satellites orbiting every planet and the sun, and have spent countless hours building "what-if" aircraft. Hell, a coworker and I are doing an alternate history timeline of WW2 using KSP's SPH to build aircraft and further developments.

Some of the best $19.99 I ever spent gaming. I have literally thousands upon thousands of hours in it.

After 300 hours in it, getting stuff into orbit is not that hard, getting it back down with some advanced functionality still attached to it, now that is. Not really sure how that colony thing is gonna work, but it better not be working like it is now where everything still retains physics and thus kills your FPS if it gets beyond 300~ active parts. And docking point wobble in particular....

Aug 20, 2019, 07:46
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 20, 2019, 07:46
Aug 20, 2019, 07:46

I love KSP, warts and all.

It brought me rage, frustration, and unmitigated joy. There were often times, too, were I would just burst out in to hysterical laughter after something went unexpectedly and catastrophically wrong.

It also taught me an even greater respect for NASA. Getting things in to orbit is hard. Everything beyond that is a steep incline up the difficulty scale. However, accomplishing those things is amazing. I have put a Kerbal on every planet, have satellites orbiting every planet and the sun, and have spent countless hours building "what-if" aircraft. Hell, a coworker and I are doing an alternate history timeline of WW2 using KSP's SPH to build aircraft and further developments.

Some of the best $19.99 I ever spent gaming. I have literally thousands upon thousands of hours in it.
"Lock the doors. Kill the light. No one's coming...home tonight. It's getting colder."

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Aug 20, 2019, 06:28
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 20, 2019, 06:28
Aug 20, 2019, 06:28

Any Game hype video that is not in-game action but all CGI is a major red flag in my book.

Plus, doesn't this game suffer from the same issue that Space Engineers does, that it patches often, which ends up with 90% of previous player mods and creations in the workshop broken. I loved SE but had to stop because almost every mod I used would get broken and that would destroy most of what I had built. I love the whole mod workshop thing, but not when the developer has a policy of not caring about long term mod compatibility when rolling out patches.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Aug 20, 2019, 05:37
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 20, 2019, 05:37
Aug 20, 2019, 05:37

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 02:57:
Finally!

Although for the record

0 in-game scenes
60$ price-tag

Yeah..... good luck with that

Just got home and watched it. Seemed like just an awesome tribute to the OG game, like the community movies that were (Are) popular back in the day, which would be brilliant if that's what it was, until the base building stuff. (Which, with the other features in the pcgamer article mentioned sounds spot on for what I'd expect out a sequel, dev says all the right things).

My experience tells me it's a warning though. Paying a CGI concepting studio/marketing firm to make your assets all high res and raytraced smells like the Dead Island 2 trailer and how that's working out isn't great. Maybe they made this then shopped around for people to make it? Like a render target?

Hope I'm wrong and this is how this game looks! Could be one of the few titles that would make me get a second job to pay for that 2080super.

Aug 20, 2019, 02:57
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 20, 2019, 02:57
Aug 20, 2019, 02:57

Finally!

Although for the record

0 in-game scenes
60$ price-tag

Yeah..... good luck with that

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2019, 03:16.

Aug 19, 2019, 22:59
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 19, 2019, 22:59
Aug 19, 2019, 22:59

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 20:55:
I wanted to love this game but just could never get out kerbals gravity and into orbit

It’s a struggle but it’s the one I needed to finally understand why and how things orbit and transfer to different orbits. Along with working out rendezvous and docking this title has given me some of the best moments I’ve ever had at a computer. Worth working the tutorials and watching some YouTube until you grok it.

Such an awesome game, probably the most educational and satisfying I’ve ever played. I’m super hype for this. KSP is already gorgeous by accident, actual graphics and multiplayer will be amazing. I love multi crew in the DCS F-14 and Janes Longbow 2, that experience in space could be sooooo good.

Or it could be hot garbage. Fingers crossed though not many sequels id give more than a meh to these days. Facebook really does know me well, woke up this morning and first two notifications were Kerbal 2 and Homeworld announcement tease. I played both this week, crazy!

Aug 19, 2019, 22:31
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 19, 2019, 22:31
Aug 19, 2019, 22:31

You should install the ReStock mod, it changes the graphics of almost all the stock parts to be more detailed with better textures.
This is Bob Barker reminding you to help control the Canadian bartender population — have your Canadian bartenders spayed or neutered.

Aug 19, 2019, 22:01
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 19, 2019, 22:01
Aug 19, 2019, 22:01

I love KSP, but I'll probably hold off buying this at release. I haven't even "finished" the first one, and I've had it since Alpha 0.2. I played a lot of it during the alpha and beta, but quit with the 1.0 release because it was so unstable. The 64-bit release fixed the stability, but I was always waiting for mods to catch up, and by the time all the mods I wanted to use were updated, another patch came out and the wait began again.

I think with 1.4 mods don't have to be re-compiled for specific versions, and right when everything settled down and I was about to start it up again, they began updating the old stock parts to the same quality as the ones from the new parts added along the way and the recent DLC. I decided to hold off on playing until they finished updating those because the old parts really do look like crap compared to the newer parts. I think there's one more update planned to finish the stock parts, and they announced a few weeks ago new textures are coming for planets and moons but didn't say if that would be in the final part overhaul update or later.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Aug 19, 2019, 20:55
Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Announced Aug 19, 2019, 20:55
Aug 19, 2019, 20:55

I wanted to love this game but just could never get out kerbals gravity and into orbit
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older