Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans

Microsoft announces plans to implement NVIDIA's real-time DXR ray tracing support to the Windows 10 version of Minecraft, the sandbox game that became a worldwide sensation despite voxel graphics that are anything but high-fidelity. This is particularly interesting in light of the recent announcement that Microsoft-owned developer Mojang was cancelling plans for a Super Duper Graphics Pack upgrade they announced during E3 2017. The NVIDIA Website has more on the news, including a reveal trailer showing how this free update will change the look of the game on supported video cards. Here's more:

Minecraft with RTX will refit the entire game with path tracing, a form of ray tracing featuring incredible levels of detail, affecting almost every pixel of every scene. You’ll see lifelike lighting, reflections and shadows, plus so much more, exemplifying the power of ray tracing and demonstrating why game developers like Mojang and Microsoft are working together with NVIDIA to enhance upcoming blockbusters with ray tracing.

Minecraft is a dynamic world, where blocks can be removed or added en masse. NPCs and enemies roam the land, and other players zoom about in minecarts. To account for constantly-changing conditions, every ray-traced effect works in real-time, bringing lifelike visual effects to the stylized world of Minecraft in jaw-dropping fashion.

“Ray tracing sits at the center of what we think is next for Minecraft,” said Saxs Persson, Franchise Creative Director of Minecraft at Microsoft. “RTX gives the Minecraft world a brand-new feel to it. In normal Minecraft, a block of gold just appears yellow, but with ray tracing turned on, you really get to see the specular highlight, you get to see the reflection, you can even see a mob reflected in it.”

With ray tracing, nearly everything is visually improved. Lighting is upgraded to real-time global illumination, enabling light to realistically illuminate blocks and buildings as the world is modified. Emissive blocks like Glowstone and Lava can illuminate environments, along with other dynamic game elements. Water, glass and other reflective surfaces show accurate real-time reflections, mirroring their surroundings. Shading and shadowing gain lifelike accuracy. Clouds, fog and other atmospheric effects naturally change the look and feel of the world. Blocks gain extra depth and detail from normal maps, enabling shadows, lighting, specular reflectivity and ambient occlusion to further increase their fidelity and appearance. And on it goes, because the entire game is enhanced with raytracing.

Minecraft probably has the most mods of any game, ever. So ray tracing will of course also be moddable, enabling players to generate endless ray traced content for themselves and others. And with the raytraced effects and capabilities of RTX Minecraft, new in-game designs that were previously impossible become a reality, be those a spooky ravine that fades into darkness, filled with hostile mobs drawn to the light of the player’s torch; fun houses made of mirrors; or caves that glow with the precious resources or dangerous lava within.

Continue here to read the full story.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 20, 2019, 14:31 Sepharo

Dash wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 01:34:
Drayth wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 00:09:
This is a great game to implement ray tracing in imo since the world is malleable. Players can see the light interact with placeables and materials, which plays to ray tracing's strengths. Light, shadow, reflection calculations are all unified.

I'm kind of curious on what modders will do next. If they can make blocks that detect certain colors/levels of light, so they react in a unique way. That's assuming its possible with how the game is setup. Light source blocks, and loads of redstone triggers...

I assume the old light calculation and detection model will remain in place just not visible.
They're not going to redo the code that detects whether a dirt tile has light access for grass growth etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 20, 2019, 10:39 Verno

The baked lighting in Minecraft was awful and this looks fantastic. I'm not into it anymore unfortunately but whatever. RTX is going to be awesome once the consoles start embracing it and moving things forward.  

Playing: Control, Total War Warhammer 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses
Watching: Joan Red, The Dark Matter of Love, Three Kingdoms

22. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 20, 2019, 09:40 RedEye9

Nimh wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 07:08:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 02:36:
aka_STEVE wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 13:24:
... great move Nvidia ! Convince people to buy a $ 1500 graphics card so they can play Minecraft !?!?

You guys seriously need to get new marketing people....
Nvidia has been intentionally doing RTX for old and old-looking games like Quake and MC as proof of how dramatic the improvement can be, even for really old 3D games. It actually is pretty genius marketing. I forewent RTX thinking we were a good 5 years before wide adoption, but it seems to be happening much more quickly, probably b/c Nvidia is pouring money into converting popular games to RTX.
Next up the original Thief games..
Duke Nukem 3D & Unreal!!!

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

21. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 20, 2019, 07:08 Nimh

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 02:36:
... great move Nvidia ! Convince people to buy a $ 1500 graphics card so they can play Minecraft !?!?

Nvidia has been intentionally doing RTX for old and old-looking games like Quake and MC as proof of how dramatic the improvement can be, even for really old 3D games. It actually is pretty genius marketing. I forewent RTX thinking we were a good 5 years before wide adoption, but it seems to be happening much more quickly, probably b/c Nvidia is pouring money into converting popular games to RTX.

Next up the original Thief games..

20. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 20, 2019, 02:36 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 20, 2019, 01:34 Dash

Drayth wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 00:09:
This is a great game to implement ray tracing in imo since the world is malleable. Players can see the light interact with placeables and materials, which plays to ray tracing's strengths. Light, shadow, reflection calculations are all unified.

I'm kind of curious on what modders will do next. If they can make blocks that detect certain colors/levels of light, so they react in a unique way. That's assuming its possible with how the game is setup. Light source blocks, and loads of redstone triggers...

18. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 20, 2019, 00:09 Drayth

17. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 23:01 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 22:54:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 18:37:
Lipstick, pig. Discuss...
Which is which? Personally, I'm voting for the card to be the pig.
I'm pretty sure RTX is the lipstick and Minecraft is the pig.

16. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 22:54 Mr. Tact

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 18:37:
Which is which? Personally, I'm voting for the card to be the pig.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 19:14 Kxmode

Wait until you see the marketing for ray tracing and Cyberpunk 2077.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 18:37 Eirikrautha

13. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 18:32 Avus

no interest to run ray tracing on shit (more like simple) game engine... like Minecraft or Quake 2.... The reason to use real time ray tracing is to make thing more realistic, Minecraft and Quake 2 graphics NEVER look realistic to me. I will use ray tracing when I can run ultra realistic Unreal 4 games in 1080P@144hz.

I am saying as a RTX2060 owner. I am more use the card as GTX2060.

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

12. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 18:26 Kosumo

So the Neither will be just a glowing orange hell now?  

11. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 17:30 Luke

Ahh that's why the sheep's buying those expensive graphic cards  

10. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 16:31 ultrabrite

too dark.  

9. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 16:15 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 15:01:
Yes, yes, the natural lighting and reflections are very nice. But what happens when you put dozens of torches all over your base, 7 blocks apart, to stop monster spawns? That's a lot of rays to trace...

"Have you ever looked at Minecraft and said to yourself 'Man, I wish this ran like Crysis?' NOW YOU CAN!"
Now we know why they dropped the Super Duper Graphics Pack, a free visual upgrade for Minecraft they first promised during E3 2017, because no computer in the foreseeable future would be capable of running both at a playable frame rate.

8. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 16:05 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 15:01:
Yes, yes, the natural lighting and reflections are very nice. But what happens when you put dozens of torches all over your base, 7 blocks apart, to stop monster spawns? That's a lot of rays to trace...

"Have you ever looked at Minecraft and said to yourself 'Man, I wish this ran like Crysis?' NOW YOU CAN!"

Snarkiness aside, this looks pretty great, although it seems like they're comparing maps with no lighting whatsoever to ray-traced, which seems a very unfair comparison.

7. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 15:01 jacobvandy

6. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 13:38 Sepharo

That looks really great.

Minecraft is a great way to show off RTX because the geometry is dynamic and the player can better appreciate the way it effects the lighting. With a static map the lighting may as well be faked/static as well.

5. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 13:27 Cutter

Lol! Perfectly said!

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo