Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed

With Gamescom kicking off in Germany tomorrow, NVIDIA reveals plans for ray tracing support in a bunch of games in addition to the Minecraft news above. This includes the first mention of SYNCED: Off-Planet, a previously unannounced game in the works at Chinese giant Tencent. They offer details on how their technology will affect the appearance of the following games:

Gamescom - Marking the ray-tracing revolution sweeping across the video game industry, NVIDIA and its partners kicked off Gamescom 2019 on Monday by premiering blockbuster games that support ray tracing and giving a first look at ray-traced effects in a series of previously announced, highly anticipated AAA titles.

The games, which include established mega-franchises, highly anticipated sequels, new franchises and more, were showcased at a special invitation-only event in Cologne.

“In the year since NVIDIA made it possible to achieve real-time ray tracing in games, this revolutionary technology has been embraced across the industry,” said Matt Wuebbling, head of GeForce marketing at NVIDIA. “Looking at the number of games, the big-name franchises and the breathtaking visuals at our Gamescom 2019 event, it’s clear that ray tracing has arrived and is truly the way forward for game development.”

New games supporting ray tracing include:

• Dying Light 2 – The highly anticipated open world action RPG Dying Light 2, the next installment to the franchise with over 17 million players, will feature real-time ray tracing, taking immersion in the world of the infected set within a Modern Dark Age to the next level.
  • Metro Exodus – The Two Colonels downloadable content (DLC) – Metro Exodus’ use of global illumination made it a showcase title for ray tracing. Now, NVIDIA, 4A Games and Deep Silver are adding ray-traced global illumination with emissive lighting via the upcoming The Two Colonels DLC. Attendees can play the upcoming The Two Colonels DLC for the first time.
  • Minecraft – Minecraft is the world’s best-selling video game. Together, NVIDIA and game developer Mojang are adding a form of ray tracing known as path tracing for the Windows 10 version of the game. Upon release of the game update, Minecraft players will be able to build, create and explore their Minecraft worlds in stunning realism with real-time ray tracing. They can immerse themselves in realistic lighting and vibrant colors enabled by global illumination, realistic water that reflects and refracts naturally and emissive textures that now light up their world. Attendees can play Minecraft with real-time ray tracing at Gamescom and capture their gameplay to share.
  • SYNCED: Off-Planet – Tencent’s flagship games development studio has partnered with NVIDIA to unveil its inaugural AAA game featuring ray-tracing technology. Previously unannounced, SYNCED: Off-Planet is a brand new franchise that will use ray-traced reflections and shadows in a new twist on PvPvE that has players fighting each other while surviving 1,000+ “Nano Zombies.” Attendees can play the game and capture their gameplay to share.

In addition, NVIDIA and its development partners are premiering several ray-traced games that are unveiling ray-traced effects for the first time, including:

• Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® – One of the most critically acclaimed, best-selling game franchises of all time, the Call of Duty team at Activision revealed that the newest installment in the fan-favorite Modern Warfare series will feature real-time ray tracing on PC. Awarded “Best Online Multiplayer” by Game Critics Best of E3 2019, the new blockbuster title launches worldwide on Oct. 25. Attendees of the Gamescom NVIDIA event can finally get hands-on play with the highly anticipated game, and capture PC gameplay featuring ray-traced shadows to share.
  • Control – A showcase for ray-traced graphics, Control ships Aug. 27 and is a GeForce RTX™ bundle title. Control was nominated for Game Critics Awards in the Best Original Game, Best PC Game and Best Action/Adventure Game categories. The game supports NVIDIA DLSS technology as well as ray-traced reflections, shadows and global illumination, and will be one of the first games to support multiple ray-tracing effects. Attendees can play the game and capture gameplay to share.
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 – Considered one of the five biggest announcements at GDC 2019 by IGN, attendees to NVIDIA’s event receive a guided presentation of the highly anticipated Vampire RPG that features ray-traced reflections.
  • Watch Dogs: Legion – With more than 60 awards and nominations received at E3 2019, including Game Critics Best Action/Adventure Game, the newest installment in the Watch Dogs series will feature ray tracing. Attendees get a chance to experience the GeForce RTX title first-hand with ray-traced reflections.
  • Wolfenstein®: Youngblood™ – Nominated for E3 Game Critics’ Awards in the Best PC Game, Best Online Multiplayer game and Best Action Game categories, Wolfenstein: Youngblood is the second GeForce RTX bundle title at Gamescom. Attendees can experience the game with the addition of ray-traced reflections.

Ray tracing is also featured in can’t-miss demos at Gamescom 2019, including Cyberpunk 2077, winner of hundreds of awards, and a game Gamespot calls “one of the most anticipated games of the decade.” Cyberpunk 2077’s Gamescom demo features real-time ray tracing. Gameplay presentations happen every 30 minutes throughout the day in the CD PROJEKT RED booth in the Gamescom Entertainment Area (hall 6, booth C049). Attendees can watch the game being played live by members of the dev team.

Real-time ray tracing is changing the way games are created and dramatically increases the image quality they can achieve. Ray tracing is built upon a robust ecosystem that includes industry-standard application programming interfaces, support in an array of popular and private game engines, and games from the biggest publishers for their most anticipated titles.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs are the only GPUs capable of playing games with real-time ray tracing.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 21, 2019, 13:36 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 18:56:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 18:39:
I bought my 2x card for VR, but it kept crashing, so I returned it.
Sucks that you got a bad card. What are you gpu'ing with now?

I bought KX's 8-month-old 1080Ti when he picked up a 2080Ti. He gave me a good deal, and I haven't had any trouble with it.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 20, 2019, 18:56 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 18:39:
Sucks that you got a bad card. What are you gpu'ing with now?

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

23. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 20, 2019, 18:39 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 10:01:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 07:46:
Funny I own a 2080 and the very first thing I do in any game is turn the ray tracing off. The impact on performance is not worth the visuals. Can't imagine how this impacts lessor cards like the 2070 and 2060. The feature is still a gimmick and so is their DLSS, kudos to AMD to not putting the gimmick on their latest video cards.

Yes, ray tracing is the future, just not for at least another 3-5 years until they make better cards.
No one bought a 2k card for teh ray tracy. RTX was not even the icing on the cake, it's more like nVidia let peeps lick the bowl that the icing was made in.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

22. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 20, 2019, 10:01 RedEye9

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 07:46:
Funny I own a 2080 and the very first thing I do in any game is turn the ray tracing off. The impact on performance is not worth the visuals. Can't imagine how this impacts lessor cards like the 2070 and 2060. The feature is still a gimmick and so is their DLSS, kudos to AMD to not putting the gimmick on their latest video cards.

Yes, ray tracing is the future, just not for at least another 3-5 years until they make better cards.
No one bought a 2k card for teh ray tracy. RTX was not even the icing on the cake, it's more like nVidia let peeps lick the bowl that the icing was made in.

21. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 20, 2019, 07:46 Ozmodan

20. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 20, 2019, 06:13 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 03:39:
Slick wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:08:
We have to wait for games to be conceived from birth with ray-tracing in mind, not a gimmick added after the game has gone gold.

Next gen consoles will show is what Ray Tracing can really do, because those games are being built right now with hardware-accelerated ray-tracing in mind.

I don't think that's true at all. RTX works *with* the existing architecture, regardless of what it is. It's not like VR, where you have a completely new gameplay paradigm shift. RTX is just an improved rendering pipeline.

Yep and I don't really think we want to find out what a game would look like (especially on console hardware Wink ) with RT from "birth" the way Slick suggested.

We are still many years away from fully ray-traced games. It will be reflections, shadows and a few individual light sources for quite some time to come. That is the kind of stuff that can be inserted into any game's rendering pipeline via DX12-DXR/Vulkan or even via a ReShade post-processing mod as has been proven in the meantime.

However, one thing is true: When a game is now being developed from scratch with RT in mind then the devs might generally pay more attention to the lighting, the positioning of the light sources or where they put shiny, reflective surfaces or how they deal with water, puddles, wetness and all that stuff.

All of this might actually have an adverse effect on games that are "born" with RT in mind because developers might be forced to reduce such elements in order to get a game to run on conslows, e.g. scratch dynamic weather because rain would turn the game into a slideshow.

Let's hope that RT will remain a toggle option because if every next gen console game is "conceived from birth" with RT then let us prepare for very... basic games (Tetris FTW!).

19. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 20, 2019, 03:39 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:08:
We have to wait for games to be conceived from birth with ray-tracing in mind, not a gimmick added after the game has gone gold.

Next gen consoles will show is what Ray Tracing can really do, because those games are being built right now with hardware-accelerated ray-tracing in mind.

I don't think that's true at all. RTX works *with* the existing architecture, regardless of what it is. It's not like VR, where you have a completely new gameplay paradigm shift. RTX is just an improved rendering pipeline.

18. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 20, 2019, 02:45 jdreyer

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 12:46:
I guess ray tracing is the new lens flare.

Actually, RTX is the future of 3D graphic game engines, not some gimmick. It both improves the quality of the the lighting in the engine and the ease with which it's implemented. It's the biggest graphics improvement since hardware T & L. It can be called a "game-changer" with a straight face. Will it take a few years to become commonplace and not tank your framerate? For sure, but make no mistake: it's the future.

17. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 21:14 RedEye9

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 19:57:
I didn't even reply to your post and the "red alert" was a fun little pun directed at the person I actually quoted.
I understood it as a funnen hence my wink to you. But I didn't get the Red part until you reiterated it, nice Green pun you nVidia freak. Grin

16. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 20:57 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 19:57:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 19:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:37:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 15:46:
Cheers to the money wasters early adopters for making it possible for the rest of us.

Red alert. Butthurt jelly AMD peasant detected!
. Wink

I own a 2080 Ti dog. Can't be butthurt or jelly if I own the card.

Um, what?

I didn't even reply to your post and the "red alert" was a fun little pun directed at the person I actually quoted.

That wink was a snide comment directed at me in the same way he uses "crusade" and "xtain" in other threads. At this point, I'm pretty much aware of most of the trolling tactics he uses on this site.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

15. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 19:57 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 19:10:
Cheers to the money wasters early adopters for making it possible for the rest of us.

. Wink

Um, what?

14. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 19:10 Kxmode

. Wink

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

13. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 17:00 Burrito of Peace

Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:18:
The Facts:

- [NVIDIA] is gaining revenue growth on a sequential basis, driven by strong demand for laptop GPUs and game console processors.

Underlined the relevant bit. That would be Nintendo and they're using the ancient Tegra SoC (albeit a more refined version in the T210). Still the design is old enough.

Both Sony and Microsoft use AMD custom SoCs. So...unless China or Zimbabwe has a custom console market that I am not aware of, they're basically saying "We selling 4 year old technology to a bunch of suckers Nintendo."

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

12. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:58 CJ_Parker

Gib007 wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 16:42:
Raytracing was a plus and though it does give a big performance hit, DLSS does offset it. Unfortunately DLSS is too blurry for my taste in Battlefield V. Maybe other games implement it better

Yes, DLSS depends a lot on the implementation. You can probably find the best implementation so far in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. All other AA modes are inferior to DLSS in that game while ray tracing is used only for the shadows (not reflections like in BFV).
SotTR is already a good looking game but DLSS and DXR/RTX take it to the next level.
The (1440p) performance is decent on a 2080Ti. There are a few spots with lots of vegetation and shadows cast by the trees etc. where it drops to 40fps but most of the time it's smooth sailing at 70 - 100+fps.

11. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:55 HorrorScope

Correct and you are welcome. I got a bonus even, I also got boost to standard grx on mu upgrade!

You thank us, like I thank those that pay $60 for a new game and whales paying extra, they make high-end budgets for games possible.

10. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:42 Gib007

I have a 2080Ti. I paid dearly for it. I mainly bought it for 60+ FPS in 4K HDR gaming and it does its job excellently in this regard. Raytracing was a plus and though it does give a big performance hit, DLSS does offset it. Unfortunately DLSS is too blurry for my taste in Battlefield V. Maybe other games implement it better, I haven't checked yet.

Regardless, I'm all for Raytracing in more and more games. It'll eventually become an industry standard, no doubt. Increasingly powerful GPUs will also ensure it runs perfectly at 4K without DLSS, no doubt about that either.

9. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:37 RedEye9

. Wink

8. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:22 CJ_Parker

7. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:18 Kxmode

The Facts:

- [NVIDIA] is gaining revenue growth on a sequential basis, driven by strong demand for laptop GPUs and game console processors. Autonomous vehicle development agreements and it's Super RTX GPUs are sparking revenue gains. Although NVIDIA predicted another revenue decline of 8.8% YoY for the third quarter, it expects to grow 12% sequentially.

- [NVIDIA's] gaming revenues grew 25% sequentially in Q2, which originated from robust demand for games adopting ray-tracing technology. NVIDIA's launch of its GeForce RTX Super graphics card is expected to boost the gaming experience.

- NVIDIA CFO Colette Kress has a positive outlook regarding the company's next-generation RTX ray-tracing chips and believes these chips could fuel the growth in the computer graphics industry. Notably, NVIDIA intends to supply chips to the automotive sector, as customers are increasingly adopting GPUs in the data center and automotive space.

As with all thing technology, it improves with succeeding generations. However, those iterations won't be ready before the list of games above launch, and likely more to come in the coming year. So sure, wait for the tech to mature. In the meantime, those who have access to it can enjoy it. The RTX ray-tracing results in Cyberpunk look amazing. I thought global illumination in RAGE 2 was impressive.

6. Re: More Ray Tracing Plans Revealed Aug 19, 2019, 16:08 Slick

Glad i'm skipping this first gen, it's still all window dressing.

Better reflections isn't a compelling enough feature to invest a thousand dollars.

All that being said, I bet dying light 2 would be pretty kickass with a nice DXR implementation.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo