Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

After seeing a bottle float by I got inspired to do a little housekeeping in the pond outside the BlueTower yesterday (pondkeeping?). This was a little treacherous, but I managed to avoid slipping in while collecting a bunch of debris including a couple of bottles, a couple of Bic lighters, some juice packs, and other assorted flotsam and jetsam. There should probably be some organized effort for this sort of cleanup, but it didn't take that long, and made for a gratifying project. Along the way it also solved a long-standing mystery. Now I know what happened to Tom Hanks' best friend from Cast Away!

R.I.P.: Obituary: Panzer Dragoon artist and designer Takashi Iwade has passed away.
R.I.P.: Kathleen Blanco, Louisiana's governor during Katrina, dies.

Cast Away Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: Otay Mesa CBP Officers Seize almost 4 Tons of Marijuana inside a Shipment of Jalapeño Peppers. Thanks Acleacius.
Commuting Has Always Been Soul-Crushing, but There Are Inspiring Options. Thanks LinkedIn.
Thousands attend service for El Paso victim Margie Reckard- 'We're all a family.'
Science: 'Evil-Genius' Neutrino Gun Could Finally Unmask the Tiniest Particles in the Universe.
Is soya bad for women's health? Thanks RedEye9.
Scientists Crack the Genetic Code of the Hass Avocado.
Media: Dog Rescues His Friend Trapped On A Boat.
Ayden loves flags. Is someone cutting onions in here?
The Great Mattress Migration of 2019.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2019, 19:05 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 13:06:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 02:02:
I tend to apply the Alberto Gonzales rule when deciding if CEOs mean what they say.
Uh yeah, I think that being way to specific -- just call it the "Politician's Rule".
But then I can't use my handy dandy graphic!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2019, 13:06 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2019, 02:02:
I tend to apply the Alberto Gonzales rule when deciding if CEOs mean what they say.
Uh yeah, I think that being way to specific -- just call it the "Politician's Rule".

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2019, 02:02 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 22:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 22:52:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 21:29:
Let's hope video game CEOs follow suit.
Follow suit? You honestly think that stuff is going to happen? Think again...

I don't know what they'll do. That's why I posted the comment. However, when 200 of the top CEOs take that stand, then they may influence others with peer pressure.

The only CEOs I believe are the ones that put their money where their mouths are: Bill Gates, Will Buffet, and the Costco CEO that limited his salary to $300K.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 23:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

The CEOs of nearly 200 companies just said shareholder value is no longer their main objective

"
Statement on the Purpose of a Corporation

-snip-

Let's hope video game CEOs follow suit. The gaming industry is in dire need of a realignment back to caring about and giving their customers value for their gaming dollar. Hopefully egregious micro-transactions like the recent Apex Legends Iron Crown event become history.

Fine words, but nothing will change, except for the worse. Too much money is already in the hands of too few. They control this country(and most countries) at all meaningful levels; it is not possible for regular citizens to have any real power, without a massive restructuring of human society. The US is in full on oligarchy mode; this statement by CEOs is just another distraction to try to stave off the violent uprising of labor, as has happened again and again throughout history. Although I'm not sure why they even bother, as no amount of angry mobs with guns are going to last long against drone strikes.

What's that Roman quote about giving people day old bread instead of week old bread, and their relative joy? Yeah, that's what's happening now.

Luckily for those in power, people are ignorant, and will fall for this shit again and again and again. The fact that Kxmode was interested in hoping video game CEOs will follow suit instead of being shocked the wealthy are even saying this shit out loud is a good indicator of humanity's general level of understanding.

I assume right after releasing this statement, mountains of coke were snorted off the asses of high priced courtesans in dozens of corporate retreats, in between drunken gales of laughter.

tl/dr: we're doomed, cheers.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 23:05 RedEye9

200 CEOs are looking for jobs.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 22:59 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 22:52:

I don't know what they'll do. That's why I posted the comment. However, when 200 of the top CEOs take that stand, then they may influence others with peer pressure.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 22:52 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 21:29 Kxmode

The CEOs of nearly 200 companies just said shareholder value is no longer their main objective

"
Statement on the Purpose of a Corporation

Americans deserve an economy that allows each person to succeed through hard work and creativity and to lead a life of meaning and dignity. We believe the free-market system is the best means of generating good jobs, a strong and sustainable economy, innovation, a healthy environment and economic opportunity for all.

Businesses play a vital role in the economy by creating jobs, fostering innovation and providing essential goods and services. Businesses make and sell consumer products; manufacture equipment and vehicles; support the national defense; grow and produce food; provide health care; generate and deliver energy; and offer financial, communications and other services that underpin economic growth.

While each of our individual companies serves its own corporate purpose, we share a fundamental commitment to all of our stakeholders. We commit to:

- Delivering value to our customers. We will further the tradition of American companies leading the way in meeting or exceeding customer expectations.
- Investing in our employees. This starts with compensating them fairly and providing important benefits. It also includes supporting them through training and education that help develop new skills for a rapidly changing world. We foster diversity and inclusion, dignity and respect.
- Dealing fairly and ethically with our suppliers. We are dedicated to serving as good partners to the other companies, large and small, that help us meet our missions.
- Supporting the communities in which we work. We respect the people in our communities and protect the environment by embracing sustainable practices across our businesses.
- Generating long-term value for shareholders, who provide the capital that allows companies to invest, grow and innovate. We are committed to transparency and effective engagement with shareholders.
Each of our stakeholders is essential. We commit to deliver value to all of them, for the future success of our companies, our communities and our country.
"

Let's hope video game CEOs follow suit. The gaming industry is in dire need of a realignment back to caring about and giving their customers value for their gaming dollar. Hopefully egregious micro-transactions like the recent Apex Legends Iron Crown event become history.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 18:36 Pigeon

Tom's been doing great, but Wilson looks a little washed up... Beam  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 18:14 jdreyer

Dog Rescues His Friend Trapped On A Boat.

WHO'S A GOOD BOY??!

12. Re: Kerbal Space Program 2!!!!! Aug 19, 2019, 18:09 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 17:53:
Fuck AND Yes!!!

Including new and improved explosions!

11. Kerbal Space Program 2!!!!! Aug 19, 2019, 17:53 Creston

Fuck AND Yes!!!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 16:34 Acleacius

Damn, they got my jalapenos! Ahoy  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 15:58 Cutter

Has anyone checked this out? It's free so I guess I'll take a lookie loo.

The Orville - Interactive Fan Experience

Has anyone played Little Nightmares? It's on sale for $6 so I do believe I'll grab it. I hope it's not poop your pants scary! Crying

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 15:50 Kxmode

I just realized the entire "I Wish" track by Skee-Lo is a vent on live radio.

Re: "Hey, this is radio station W-S-K-E-E
We're takin' calls off the wish line
Making all your wacky wishes come true

Hello

[RAP PROCEEDS]"

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 15:12 Capella

Dilbert may have been lame but is SPOT ON where I work where a friend of mine works. Wink  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 14:52 RedEye9

Graham wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 14:10:
Dilbert stopped being funny a long time ago.
That one was lame, here is a FoxTrot to make up for it.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 14:10 Graham

Dilbert stopped being funny a long time ago.  
Blue-y bought a bit of Cutter, but he said this Cutter's bitter. If I put it in my comments it will make my comments bitter. So he bought some better comments to ignore the bitter Cutter. It didn't make Cutter better but they made the forum glitter.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 14:07 Hoop

That movie started off alright but the air went out of it near the end.  

Um .. Behind you...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 13:39 Cutter

You should freak your neighbors out. Start carrying it around and shouting "Wilson!" randomly. Course if you want to get serious about the Blue's Cleanup Initiative you need to invest in some hipwaders and a fishing net.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo