Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

WoW Classic Population Control

In a post to the World of Warcraft Forums, Blizzard addresses overpopulation in the Herod realm for World of Warcraft Classic (thanks Eurogamer.net). They are urging players to pick a new realm to ease crowding:

Based on name reservations so far, the Herod realm is looking to be massively overpopulated. If all existing players on this server remain there, login queues in excess of 10,000 players are a certainty, and possibly much higher than that.

We recently opened up the Stalagg realm, and we urge players on Herod to consider moving there. There are a lot of players currently on Herod and we want Stalagg to fill up before we open any new PvP realms. This is so that player population is spread as evenly as possible before launch, in order to provide the best play experience.

While we are able to fit several times more players on a single realm in 2019 than was the case in 2006, we are not going to raise that cap any further, even though we have the technical capacity to do so. Raising realm caps would simply forestall the problem, letting more players in at launch but creating an unsustainable situation down the line, with severe queues when we turn off layering permanently before Phase 2 of our content unlock plan.

Please also note that our realm population estimates of Low, Medium, High, and Full are based on this increased capacity – a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006.

Our top priority in planning for WoW Classic’s launch has been ensuring that we are laying the groundwork for strong realm communities that will endure over the months and years to follow, which is why we’re cautiously opening new servers to meet demand.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 23, 2019, 18:02 Tipsy McStagger

So what is the content of wow classic? all the way till burning crusade launch? So it'll have full naxramas wings?

Honestly, my best memories of WoW was UBRS "General Drakisath" runs. Everyone dying on the beast.

Next was out of combat ressers in molten core.

Wearing green items at level 60 that were like item level 48.

Basically, it was a slog and slogs are sometimes fun in the challenge.

That being said, i don't have time to play these games anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 19, 2019, 22:05 chickenboo

I'm going to give it a go and I'm probably going to burn out within a week of play.  

37. Re: DARQ Developer on Turning Down Epic Games Store Exclusivity Aug 19, 2019, 01:05 Kxmode

Jagacademy wrote on Aug 19, 2019, 00:26:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 21:06:
Whatever. I know where I'm going to be on 8/26. I'm going to have fun.

Will be the most exciting 6 weeks of your life.

you got me there

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 19, 2019, 00:26 Jagacademy

Kxmode wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 21:06:

Will be the most exciting 6 weeks of your life.

35. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 21:28 Ant

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 23:20:
Ant wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 23:12:
Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 21:12:
WoW classic! "Remember those awesome login queues? They're back!"
Just like old times. What else are we missing?
Your old friends, the time to play, the wow factor, the newness, the desire, not having a life, etc..
Those too. Oh, and South Park making fun of it!

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

34. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 21:06 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

33. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 15:19 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 14:21:

Not sure why a pvp server is so congested as pvp in Wow has always been pathetic.

I think a couple of popular YouTubers are bringing their followers along to that particular server.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

32. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 14:21 Ozmodan

Posters crack me up when they claim MMO's are dying. Just not so. It is ok if it is not your cup of tea. There are plenty of other genres I am sure that satisfy your gaming itch.

Not sure why a pvp server is so congested as pvp in Wow has always been pathetic. Of all the MMO's Wow's pvp has always been bottom of the barrel because there is absolutely no point to it. My first level 60 was on a pvp server which I soon left, never to return.

As to Wow classic, I have no interest in redoing that. It was fun at the time, but I can't imagine it being fun again.

31. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 13:45 NKD

Jagacademy wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 12:08:
There will be mass population loss within 3-6 months.

Most of the people excited about Classic never even played it, they've just always been butthurt because they feel like they missed out on the good ole days others talk about.

It was boring, repetitive, tedious, and other than "Go kill X of Y" verbatim ad infinium there wasn't much of anything else to do...that's why they kept releasing expansions with more content.

I think some folks are forgetting that vanilla was the game for just its first two, lowest population, years. The majority of current and former WoW players started long after vanilla, just owing to the fact that it's been "not vanilla" for 13 years of subscriber churn.

So you're almost certainly correct: there are a lot of people hyped for this shit with no first hand experience of vanilla.

If there wasn't a new P1999 server spinning up in October I'd be playing WoW classic for sure. But I'm definitely not going to encourage anyone I know to play WoW classic any more than I try to get people to play P1999. I'm fully aware that it's practically a universal law that nothing is ever as good as you remember it being.

30. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 12:41 Mr. Tact

For me, about the only thing I can imagine looking forward to in WoW Classic, would be completing Rhok'delar, Longbow of the Ancient Keepers Quest again. It would be interesting to see if I could manage it again. I actually did it the first time when it was still the best bow you could get.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 12:08 Jagacademy

There will be mass population loss within 3-6 months.

Most of the people excited about Classic never even played it, they've just always been butthurt because they feel like they missed out on the good ole days others talk about.

It was boring, repetitive, tedious, and other than "Go kill X of Y" verbatim ad infinium there wasn't much of anything else to do...that's why they kept releasing expansions with more content.

28. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 11:30 Kxmode

Luke wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 11:17:
Wow players are searching for something that never will come again....

We were searching for Classic WOW. We got Classic WOW. We have what we're looking for. Move along.

27. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 11:29 Kxmode

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 10:06:
https://mmo-population.com/

That’s not impressive at all, considering the number of mmos out there. And where are the new ones? lol

Dying

"Our algorithm works very heavily off of reddit subscriber and activity counts. This page gives you insight into those numbers." source

So now you point to a website with literal made-up numbers to prove a point? Please...

26. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 11:17 Luke

Wow players are searching for something that never will come again....  

25. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 10:06 Steele Johnson

https://mmo-population.com/

That’s not impressive at all, considering the number of mmos out there. And where are the new ones? lol

Dying

24. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 09:10 Kxmode

Like I posted earlier, Classic WOW is not for you. You will never understand WHY people want to play it, and why the demand is high for it. It's not because of rose-colored glasses or the need to relive a childhood pastime. People have asked Blizzard to release vanilla servers since TBC. Every year the outcry and pleas for vanilla servers have grown until a group from France name Nostalrius launched one of the most accurate emulations of the original vanilla experience in 2015. A year after launch, Nost had close to a million register accounts and 150,000 active logins (Accounts were active if they had logged in within the past two weeks). The game grew purely on word-of-mouth, despite being a private server, not officially backed by Blizzard and also based on no Twitch streamer being able to stream it for fear of getting hit with a copyright strike. Before Nost was shut down, the server showed no signs of decline a year and a half after launch. Six months before closure Nost launched a second PVE server; something that was very rare since most private servers tended to be PVP only. Streamers like Sodapoppin and Asmongold with their 20K+ and 40K+ streams respectively have been streaming classic WOW, further promoting that content over BFA. If you look at most WOW streams, either half or more is Classic. The point is the popularity of Classic doesn't jive with the unsubstantiated comments all of you spout. Nostalrius proved there is a REAL demand for Classic from all age groups and skill spectrums (you need to understand that). By announcing and releasing Classic, Blizzard finally agreed and saw there was a large market for that content. All of that effectively eliminates the idea that Classic WOW isn't for today's gamer. It is VERY much for today's gamer.  

23. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 06:28 Jonjonz

This goes along with what I have been saying about "classic servers" from the get go, today's jaded gamers will min/max, rush to cap, rush to world firsts the hell out of it, and it will be nothing like the rose colored visions of yore.  

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

22. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 02:34 Muscular Beaver

NKD wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 02:16:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 01:33:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 18:16:
MattyB wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 14:44:
They aren't stupid. They're fully aware that a good chunk of people have rose-tinted, and they'll quit long before 60.

That's a retail-tinted view of Classic. You think because it's old that somehow equates to a few months of interest and then people quitting. You genuinely don't know what Classic is. A good game is a good game no matter it's age and those who want the classic experience over retail will stick with the game for the long term. Blizzard will financially benefit from offering both experiences, and there may even be some crossover where classic players will jump into retail and visa verse.
Yeah, there are still thousands of people playing EverQuest. Even the classic version. And they even have wives and husbands and family! GASP!

EverQuest is actually a great example of what many of us are talking about. The "classic" TLP servers they run are not very classic. Huge quality of life features that make the game drastically easier. You don't lose XP when you die, you don't have to do a corpse run, faster XP gain, instanced raids, economy based on the Daybreak "Krono" currency, etc. In addition, there is huge attrition on those servers after they launch a new one. There is a total of one _true_ classic EverQuest server with a peak number of players over 1000.

I played a Bard to 50 on the Ragefire TLP server and it was absolute easy mode compared to classic, and half the player base was gone before Kunark even activated.
Theres 2 classic servers. If not more now, since others did an emulator as well. Peak on P99 is 1500. And its close to that every day. That means thousands are playing on it. Thats what I said.
I wasnt talking about the official servers.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

21. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 02:16 NKD

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 01:33:
They aren't stupid. They're fully aware that a good chunk of people have rose-tinted, and they'll quit long before 60.

That's a retail-tinted view of Classic. You think because it's old that somehow equates to a few months of interest and then people quitting. You genuinely don't know what Classic is. A good game is a good game no matter it's age and those who want the classic experience over retail will stick with the game for the long term. Blizzard will financially benefit from offering both experiences, and there may even be some crossover where classic players will jump into retail and visa verse.
Yeah, there are still thousands of people playing EverQuest. Even the classic version. And they even have wives and husbands and family! GASP!

EverQuest is actually a great example of what many of us are talking about. The "classic" TLP servers they run are not very classic. Huge quality of life features that make the game drastically easier. You don't lose XP when you die, you don't have to do a corpse run, faster XP gain, instanced raids, economy based on the Daybreak "Krono" currency, etc. In addition, there is huge attrition on those servers after they launch a new one. There is a total of one _true_ classic EverQuest server with a peak number of players over 1000.

I played a Bard to 50 on the Ragefire TLP server and it was absolute easy mode compared to classic, and half the player base was gone before Kunark even activated.

20. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 18, 2019, 01:33 Muscular Beaver

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo