Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

TNW - Damn near everyone is queer in the Borderlands franchise and I'm here for it.
"While no company is perfect, Gearbox has consistently aspired to be an ally to the LGBTQIA+ community. In fact, as the headline suggests, damn near everyone in the Borderlands universe falls under the LGBTQIA+ banner — at least if you assume that the number of explicitly queer characters is indicative of the fictional universe’s unmentioned citizens’ sexual identity.

This overall queerness even includes a couple of playable main characters. Remember Axton, the cute Commando you can play as in Borderlands 2? He’s bisexual. And Athena, the beautiful shield-wielding Gladiator you can main in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel? She’s a lesbian. FL4K would bring us up to three playables if they turn out to be canonically representative of the LGBT community."

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Op Ed Aug 21, 2019, 00:27 Icewind

Take 2 has to pander to someone in an effort to get their Epic Games Store Pc exclusive to sell, I suppose. Good luck with that, guys. Especially after sending the feds to a Borderlands streamer to scare him into removing his youtube videos.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Aug 19, 2019, 11:27 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 13:30:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 12:10:
Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 09:08:
Vulkan wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 08:21:
Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 17:47:
Man, some of you really hate stories about non-straight people

As with any story, how much I like it depends on how well written and implemented it is. A game like The Missing does it very well, where the subject of the main character's gender is integral to what the game's story is about and the message that it's trying to convey; this stuff in BL3 just seems to have been added in as a bizarre "Just because we can" afterthought.

True, but what in borderlands isn't bizarre just because they could? They had an entire mission about a robot sadly trying to throw himself a birthday pizza party. The tasks included turning on the boombox and blowing into party favors.

Bizarre shit for the sake of being bizarre.

So you are equating stories about non-straight people with being bizarre? Not cool, man...

You fail at making a gotcha, which is why often no one bothers responding to your trite "debate" skills.

We know you hate anything non-straight, non-white, non-male. Any time these topics come up, you ride your Aryan horse in to whine and complain.

You "know"? Or you are projecting your own bigotry on others? Funny that your debate "skills" are always predicated on immediate ad hominems and straw man arguments. I defy you to find a single post where I declare anything you've written above (you know you can't). You are attributing a non-existent "hate" based on the fact that I disagree with your stupid opinions.

Maybe you should take this guy's advice:

Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 01:59:
I don't get the "never apologize" thing. Sometimes I accidentally say or do something stupid. The right thing to do is step back, realize you made a mistake, and try to right it.

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 09:04:
I think it just stems from a self-important self-righteousness; that s certain group thinks you never need to apologize for something you didn't mean to do. As if intent always takes priority.

41. Re: Ugh Aug 19, 2019, 07:26 Beamer

Asmodai wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 17:11:
007Bistromath wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 07:00:
As a bisexual, this is one of a thousand reasons the series lost its shine after the first game. Being pandered to feels disgusting unless you're a politics-obsessed moron.

I love how all the progressive posers ignore your comment since, ya know, you actually have that whole lived experience...

Kinda hilarious. They want to disagree with you but your 'otherness' gives you invulnerability lest they be tarred as intolerant. +1 internets to you!

Because he's not the only bisexual in this thread, and holding one up as proof of an entire side is tokenism?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2019, 03:53 ventry

HAHA!!
Just found out Carlos Maza got "canned" from Vox.
Things that make you go HHHMMMMMMM!!

39. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2019, 01:30 007Bistromath

pretty sure it was "rXtard," people are getting fussed about that like it's the n-word lately

I'd say what I think about that but I can't

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 01:00 TheVocalMinority

Blue wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 18:39:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 18:20:
Wait, why was my post removed? It was in support of characters that were of any sexuality. I just wanted it to make sense in the context of the story being presented.

Because of a slur. The "r" word.

Please tell me you didn't just remove a post because it used the work "rape".

"How easily we let ourselves be taken in by partisan labels" - Solzhenitsyn

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 23:19 NKD

Blue wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 18:39:
Wait, why was my post removed? It was in support of characters that were of any sexuality. I just wanted it to make sense in the context of the story being presented.

Republican?

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

36. Re: Ugh Aug 18, 2019, 20:45 ventry

As a bisexual, this is one of a thousand reasons the series lost its shine after the first game. Being pandered to feels disgusting unless you're a politics-obsessed moron.

Clap Clap Clap Bravo!!
Kudos to you sir/madam. The ability to see through the bullshit is a rare gift.

NKD wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 17:28:
Personally, I ignored his comment because it's his feelings on the matter and he's entitled to it. No one's in a position to disagree about how someone else feels. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. Not all LGBT people share the same opinions on things, they are as diverse a group as any other group.

Yes but, notice how you nearly always only hear from the perpetually offended activist assholes.

Like I said (before the censor swept in):
they seem to want to attract my attention FAR more than I want to attract theirs.

Gearbox is just virtue signaling.
Why is it not acceptable to just put characters of both genders in the game and then whomever plays it can pretend they are whatever part of the LGBTQWERTY they want?
I like sniper rifles so, if Mordecai is a playable character the rest is moot.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2019, 20:58.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2019, 18:39  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

34. Re: Ugh Aug 18, 2019, 18:20 Burrito of Peace

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

33. Re: Ugh Aug 18, 2019, 17:28 NKD

I love how all the progressive posers ignore your comment since, ya know, you actually have that whole lived experience...

Kinda hilarious. They want to disagree with you but your 'otherness' gives you invulnerability lest they be tarred as intolerant. +1 internets to you!

Personally, I ignored his comment because it's his feelings on the matter and he's entitled to it. No one's in a position to disagree about how someone else feels. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. Not all LGBT people share the same opinions on things, they are as diverse a group as any other group.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

32. Re: Ugh Aug 18, 2019, 17:11 Asmodai

31. Re: Op Ed Aug 18, 2019, 14:35 Ozmodan

Kind of a really stupid article if you ask me. A character is what you make of it that is the entire point of playing a game. Assigning sexual orientation to specific characters is about as absurd as you can get.

If you want to play a particular character a certain orientation go ahead, that is your choice, not some stupid article writer making stuff up as they go.

I do not understand the need to pigeonhole others. We are all on this ball in space for just a very short period and all of us have different ways to float our boat. You don't have to agree with their viewpoints, but have to accept that it is ok for them to differ.

30. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Aug 18, 2019, 14:13 Flatline

If a looter shooter having LGBTQ+ (I can't keep track of the acronym any more because it's gotten absurdly long and changes around) is a major accomplishment for the queer community, then... yay for them! I'm glad they get to feel more inclusive. The non-binary non-hetero population makes up between 5-10% of the population depending on how broad a net you're casting and which studies you're looking at. We totally should see them in more games.

But let's not pretend like it's actually a major accomplishment. If this is as good as 2019 gets, that's actually pretty dismal. Like, claptrap trying to have a pizza party dismal. Like pretending the third looter shooter video game in a series that has consistently done the same thing is some cultural watershed moment. Because it isn't. In many ways, queer rights and safety is backsliding in our culture today. Making like this is a big deal is kind of like complimenting the dude beating you to death on his color coordination.

29. Re: Aug 18, 2019, 13:30 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 12:10:

As with any story, how much I like it depends on how well written and implemented it is. A game like The Missing does it very well, where the subject of the main character's gender is integral to what the game's story is about and the message that it's trying to convey; this stuff in BL3 just seems to have been added in as a bizarre "Just because we can" afterthought.

True, but what in borderlands isn't bizarre just because they could? They had an entire mission about a robot sadly trying to throw himself a birthday pizza party. The tasks included turning on the boombox and blowing into party favors.

So you are equating stories about non-straight people with being bizarre? Not cool, man...

You fail at making a gotcha, which is why often no one bothers responding to your trite "debate" skills.

We know you hate anything non-straight, non-white, non-male. Any time these topics come up, you ride your Aryan horse in to whine and complain.

-------------

28. Re: Aug 18, 2019, 12:10 Eirikrautha

27. Re: Aug 18, 2019, 09:08 Beamer

-------------

26. Re: Aug 18, 2019, 08:21 Vulkan

25. Ugh Aug 18, 2019, 07:00 007Bistromath

24. Re: Op Ed Aug 18, 2019, 05:55 Asmodai

Borderlands is a loot shooter, not a cheesy romance game. If Athena wants to smash some puss puss on her down time, that's her business, but when I'm driving her, she's there to kick ass and take names, not pine for the "fjord". Same for the rest of them, what they do when I'm not playing is up to them. X D

If Gearbox wants to be like Bioware and shoe horn cheesy romance options (straight and gay, cept Tali, she's awesome) in to the storyline, go nuts, but it's not what the game is known for and I doubt it'll sell more copies. Of course, they'll always have the glorious excuse if the game fails to be a hit that it 'was the haters because we're stunning and brave and shit' to save them from any sort of introspection, so I guess that's a plus...

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >